Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:25 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Green Habit wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
Buffalohed wrote:
I don't see how there can be any debate.

Obviously, you haven't searched the word "PETA" on this board. :lol:

It was even more intense on RM1.

I remember that one.

j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:18 pm 
Got Some

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00251.html

:lol:
You cannot make this stuff up.

but I wouldn't hold my breath

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:23 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Man in Black wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/25/AR2006092500251.html

:lol:
You cannot make this stuff up.

Roaches don't have rights? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:34 am 
Interweb Celebrity

anyone who eats a live roach is completely nuts.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:37 am 
Devil's Advocate

corduroy_blazer wrote:
:wave:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:39 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Athletic Supporter wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
:wave:

i try to never even come close to any creature that can survive a nuclear fallout.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:48 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Cockroaches can give you AIDS. Along with toilet seats, and drinking fountains

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:20 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

eeerr so what does PETA consider their big triumphs and social changes to be? They must have accomplished some great things by now.... right?

Honestly I don't know much about them, except no one will take them seriously. And that doesn't seem to be a good PR tactic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:22 pm 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

loralei wrote:
I don't know much about them, except no one will take them seriously. And that doesn't seem to be a good PR tactic.

I agree. I'm for animal rights, but PETA is quite often a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Can someone please define for me what 'animal rights' means?

and fill the spinnin' sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:20 pm 
In a van down by the river

likeatab wrote:
Can someone please define for me what 'animal rights' means?

they have the right to taste good dipped in honeymustard

Post subject: PETA did what even the Onion couldnt imagine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:54 am 
Menace to Dogciety

http://www.tylerpaper.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 8801110310

PETA Requests Vegetarian Diet in Jail for Cannibalism Suspect

By KENNETH DEAN
Staff Writer

Sheriff's officials were astounded Thursday by a letter requesting the man accused of murdering his girlfriend and possibly participating in cannibalism be placed on a vegetarian diet to keep him from being "involved in any senseless killing" while incarcerated.

The letter was faxed to the Smith County Sheriff's Jail from the national headquarters of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals Thursday morning.

The Tyler Morning Telegraph received a copy of the letter before officials and notified Sheriff J.B. Smith.

"You have to be kidding me, right?" was his initial reaction to the news of the letter asking the jail to feed Christopher Lee McCuin, 25, a special vegetarian diet and no meat.

McCuin is jailed for the murder of 21-year-old Jana Shearer and authorities have said, in previous stories, that when McCuin was taken into custody there was an ear boiling in a pot of water on the stove and a plate on the kitchen table with what appeared to be human flesh and a fork.

"It is up to you to prevent McCuin from contributing to any more suffering and death by placing him on a healthy, humane vegetarian diet," the letter by PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich reads.

In a phone interview with the Tyler Paper Thursday, Friedrich responded the letter was serious and was not intended to be funny nor take away from the brutal death suffered by Ms. Shearer.

"Like humans, animals are made of flesh, blood, and bone. They have the same five senses that we do, and they have the same capacity to experience suffering and fear. And all animals share the desire to live their lives free of pain and to avoid a violent death," he said.

Friedrich said his organization hoped to help Smith County prepare a nutritional vegetarian menu and possibly help organize a menu for the entire jail population.

But Smith said that will never happen. "I told (Gary) Pinkerton, the jail administrator, McCuin would be treated like any other prisoner and would be fed like everyone else," he said. "The Texas Jail Commission mandates how we feed the prisoners and if I fed him differently I would violate his rights and PETA is asking me to break the law and I won't do that."

When asked how eating a hamburger compared to cannibalism, Friedrich said all meat is from a corpse. He further stated he believes McCuin could become violent if he ate meat and could kill.

"Only in a culture where people routinely kill and eat living, feeling beings would anyone even think to kill and eat a human loved one," he said.

Smith said that in all of his years as sheriff there has not been one case of cannibalism in his jail, much less cannibalism caused by serving meat to the prisoners.

"Nope, that has never happened," he said. "Besides (McCuin) is isolated so the only person he's going to bite is himself."

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

Post subject: Re: PETA did what even the Onion couldnt imagine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:11 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Human Bass wrote:
"Only in a culture where people routinely kill and eat living, feeling beings would anyone even think to kill and eat a human loved one," he said.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:50 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

PETA be crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:46 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

I don't understand why they made the request for this one inmate. What does his cannibalism have to do with the need for a vegetarian diet? Either inmates should be on a vegetarian diet, or they shouldn't. Their crime is inconsequential.

A lot of people make asinine comments in PETA's name. The fact that they can't control this is major reason for their flagging legitimacy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:07 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

B wrote:
I don't understand why they made the request for this one inmate. What does his cannibalism have to do with the need for a vegetarian diet? Either inmates should be on a vegetarian diet, or they shouldn't. Their crime is inconsequential.

A lot of people make asinine comments in PETA's name. The fact that they can't control this is major reason for their flagging legitimacy.

Publicity. The story got a LOT of press - mostly as one of those "strange but true" type stories.

PETA jumped on this for the same reason Dr Phil went to visit Britney. To share and steal someone else's spotlight. Such an ill-thought out connection, and a sick way to slither their way into the media. I'd be more forgiving if it came from a brance office or a bunch of kids - but it was addressed from the frickin vice president of the company. Just shameful, and I feel for the family of the woman killed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:01 pm 
Of Counsel

Wow. Is PETA trying to make themselves irrelevant?

Post subject: Re: More PETA fun!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:27 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I'm no fan of the Olsen twins but PETA is just being mean here. Can we go ahead and classify them as a terrorist organization? I mean, they try to scare you into believing what they do. Their methods are disgusting. They could advocate animal rights on a much more effective level if they didn't have so many damn nutjobs.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b68694_ ... topstories

PETA Protests Mary-Kate & Ashley "Trollsen"

The fur was flying—albeit peacefully—at the Olsen twins' Los Angeles book signing last night.

On hand to promote and sign copies of their new photo-driven coffee-table tome Influence, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen were met not only by a flock of their style-conscious fans but by a mob of PETA protesters.

"The Olsen twins support an industry that forces animals to live in tiny wire cages their entire lives and electrocutes and kills them for vanity," PETA rep Ashley Byrne told E! News.

The animal-rights activists' beef, as it were, is not only due to the Olsens' frequent donning of fur and animal skins, but their use of both materials in their higher-end clothing line, the Row.

Eschewing their traditional headline-grabbing tactic of hurling red paint on the offending billionaire moguls, PETA, which has been campaigning against the so-dubbed "Trollsen Twins" since 2007, resorted instead to more calm, but equally disruptive, tactics.

At last night's event, PETA supporters wore doctored Olsen masks and held signs reading "Trollsens: Fur Hags From Hell" and "Hairy-Kate and Trashley Olsen: Fur Tramps."

The 22-year-olds, who did not immediately comment on Wednesday's protest, have long been easy targets for the animal-rights campaigners.

PETA previously launched an entire website dedicated to condemning the fashion plates' decision to use animal materials in their personal and professional lives. A video section on the site, dubbed "Full House of Horrors," also features edited video clips of the girls in their Michelle Tanner heyday interspersed with graphic footage of animal cruelty.

PETA has also launched a billboard ad campaign against the dynamic duo, featuring the twins' visages along with the tag line, "Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people."

A rep for the Olsens has yet to comment on the incident.

—Additional reporting by Ashley Fultz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:46 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Despite some of their public stunts, PETA is a very legitimate organization that has helped millions of animals

But I especially hate the affluent celebs that donate money and name-drop them so they can feel good about themselves in public, it's sickening

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:57 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

can we please get over ourselves? Plants are living organisms, too. Is it ok to eat them because they don't have a face or they aren't cuddly? We all evolved from the same one-celled organisms, so how is it any different between animals and plants?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate