Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Women's Health Obstacles
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:40 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Electromatic wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
tyler wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
tyler wrote:
I just don't understand how people who profess to believe in equality don't seem to have any respect for individual autonomy. I believe in equality and believe that you, in your own way are just as capable of caring for and making decisions for yourself as I am. Believing you are not capable would refudiate my belief in equality.

One could just as easily argue -- and in my view would be more justified in doing so -- that the new measure will actually increase individual autonomy (along with making the populace healthier and safer, potentially saving money, etc).
Thanks for my morning laugh. Glad to see you think so highly of women that you think that cannot have individual autonomy without government intervention. What's your slogan "Independence through government reliance."? It's like something out of a book by Joseph Heller.

It does increase individual autonomy, for those receiving the assistance, even if not for the rest of society. I don't see how that's in question. If I'm just given 100 million dollars by my great aunt, my autonomy has increased, has it not? What changes when you put government in for great aunt?

Now, of course, that's assuming a relatively simple/traditional view of autonomy, that I might reject at some level, but I would reject it equally in the case of aunt and government. I might say that you are gaining some autonomy, but being given $100 million, you're losing the freedom to face the constraints of scarcity. But I think, for most people, the freedom from scarcity that comes from getting $100 million, outweighs the freedom to face scarcity. Maybe not completely, but even $100 million doesn't get rid of all forms of scarcity (including that scarcity that comes from the decisions of other people).

how is the 100 million dollars created? Where and or how did our great aunt get the cash?

I'm not sure how that affects the autonomy of the person receiving the $100 million, unless it was stolen from me, in which case it's an even trade, although depending on the time difference I lost some autonomy over when to spend it. But I guess the 'how much of what's paid to you is yours in the first place' issue does reveal a discrepancy in the analogy, as maybe rates would increase in response to this new initiative, but really, how much? How much of the rate increase that might happen is due to the birth control? So the person able to use the birth control loses autonomy over that tiny bit of money, but gains it with the ability to use birth control whenever they want.

Of course, this is also ignoring even less obvious and harder to measure types of autonomy, such as, in the great aunt example, autonomy over how much love to give the great aunt, how much gratitude, etc. It of course never changes it through force, but through family/peer pressure, through individual guilt, etc. And I'm sure we could think of a million different other ways it affects and pressures the person receiving the money. And similar situations could probably be thought of in relation to the government example. But taking all those into account fails a cost benefit, in my book, unless someone else wants to take up the challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:45 pm 
Unthought Known

dkfan9 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
tyler wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
tyler wrote:
I just don't understand how people who profess to believe in equality don't seem to have any respect for individual autonomy. I believe in equality and believe that you, in your own way are just as capable of caring for and making decisions for yourself as I am. Believing you are not capable would refudiate my belief in equality.

One could just as easily argue -- and in my view would be more justified in doing so -- that the new measure will actually increase individual autonomy (along with making the populace healthier and safer, potentially saving money, etc).
Thanks for my morning laugh. Glad to see you think so highly of women that you think that cannot have individual autonomy without government intervention. What's your slogan "Independence through government reliance."? It's like something out of a book by Joseph Heller.

It does increase individual autonomy, for those receiving the assistance, even if not for the rest of society. I don't see how that's in question. If I'm just given 100 million dollars by my great aunt, my autonomy has increased, has it not? What changes when you put government in for great aunt?

Now, of course, that's assuming a relatively simple/traditional view of autonomy, that I might reject at some level, but I would reject it equally in the case of aunt and government. I might say that you are gaining some autonomy, but being given $100 million, you're losing the freedom to face the constraints of scarcity. But I think, for most people, the freedom from scarcity that comes from getting $100 million, outweighs the freedom to face scarcity. Maybe not completely, but even $100 million doesn't get rid of all forms of scarcity (including that scarcity that comes from the decisions of other people).

how is the 100 million dollars created? Where and or how did our great aunt get the cash?

I'm not sure how that affects the autonomy of the person receiving the $100 million, unless it was stolen from me, in which case it's an even trade, although depending on the time difference I lost some autonomy over when to spend it. But I guess the 'how much of what's paid to you is yours in the first place' issue does reveal a discrepancy in the analogy, as maybe rates would increase in response to this new initiative, but really, how much? How much of the rate increase that might happen is due to the birth control? So the person able to use the birth control loses autonomy over that tiny bit of money, but gains it with the ability to use birth control whenever they want.

Of course, this is also ignoring even less obvious and harder to measure types of autonomy, such as, in the great aunt example, autonomy over how much love to give the great aunt, how much gratitude, etc. It of course never changes it through force, but through family/peer pressure, through individual guilt, etc. And I'm sure we could think of a million different other ways it affects and pressures the person receiving the money. And similar situations could probably be thought of in relation to the government example. But taking all those into account fails a cost benefit, in my book, unless someone else wants to take up the challenge.

I forgot we were talking about birth control sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:13 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

broken iris wrote:
tyler wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
tyler wrote:

Tyler, I think it's fair to say that what we have now is not without major government intervention and in no meaningful way resembles a free market for healthcare services. Obamacare is a step backwards, but if I were you I wouldn't oversell the benefits of the current system to try and attack an alternative. Health insurance itself is not a sustainable system at any level of service quality and a major change, that may lower the quality of care for some individuals or restrict certain choices, is going to be needed really soon if we want any system to survive.

There is no magic system. I just find it laughable that people want a free system. They bitch about spending $50 a month on their healthcare. They want a healthcare system to pay for lifestyle choices and call it personal responsibility. It's like they want to turn healtchcare providers (insurance companies, doctors, hospitals) into indentured servants of the government but not call it a form a form of slavery but a human right. They're full of great ideas for others to do. They don't want to go to school for 7+ years, rack up 6 figure student loads and then be told how much to charge for a service, but they're more than happy telling others to do this.

Seriously, acting as if $50 a month is an obstacle to personal health and an attack on women. Give me a break. The whole absurdity of independance through reliance on government. The whole demand for new/more services while also demanding not to pay another cent for it. Like there's a magic wand that can waved. When is it enough handouts to make them happy? Or is it ever growing in perpetuity?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:03 pm 
a joke

$50 for healthcare? I love this idea. Please notify my employer about this existence of this healthcare plan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:04 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

tyler wrote:
It's like they want to turn healtchcare providers (insurance companies, doctors, hospitals) into indentured servants of the government but not call it a form a form of slavery but a human right.

Mother fucker, you just broke the needle off of my drama meter! :x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:15 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

B wrote:
tyler wrote:
It's like they want to turn healtchcare providers (insurance companies, doctors, hospitals) into indentured servants of the government but not call it a form a form of slavery but a human right.

Please show me one place in this thread where someone has volunteered to pay more for healthcare in order to get additional services and/or coverage. Instead it's chock full of people who complain about a 6% profit margin, having a co-pay and wanting the government ot provide services for free. They think that private companies have no interest in keeping costs down but governments do. I may be dramatic but at least I'm realistic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:49 pm 
Father Bitch

tyler wrote:
Please show me one place in this thread where someone has volunteered to pay more for healthcare in order to get additional services and/or coverage. Instead it's chock full of people who complain about a 6% profit margin, having a co-pay and wanting the government ot provide services for free. They think that private companies have no interest in keeping costs down but governments do. I may be dramatic but at least I'm realistic.

Every single year, I pay more for less coverage and higher deductibles. On top of the $4500 a year I pay for a family plan (which is less than half the actual premium), I have co-pays and a $2000 a year deductible. And these numbers go up every single year. Every year there are more and more services subject to the deductible.

And it isn't just a 6% margin. The industry consists of more than just the health insurance companies. Other areas of the industry (like big Pharma) make much more and help drive up costs. And still, the insurance companies count their profits in billions while healthcare costs bankrupt America.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:09 pm 
Got Some

tyler wrote:
B wrote:
tyler wrote:

Some of us just think birth control would be a worthwhile expense in order to prevent higher costs associated with unwanted children.

You do bring up a good point though regarding choice of benefits.
Most of us would love to have more choice over not only what our plan covers but also what it doesn't cover. Not all of us need eyeglass coverage, mental health coverage etc., but we may have other needs that are less common amongst our co-workers like birth control. The way the system is set up we all get put into groups to keep costs down and many of us don't get covered what we need covered. The bulk of my health care visits are at my Chiro's office. I have a great health plan but I only get 5 Chiro visits a year, which is fine, I'm more than OK with paying for it. It would be nice though, to be able to cut something else out of my plan and add addt'l chiro visits since I'm paying a hefty monthly premium basically for annual checkups and the occasional visit to my primary and 5 Chiro visits. This is the plan my wife's job offers so it's what we have. (My job offers a plan which is more expensive and actually covers less and my wife's is covering our pre-natal in full)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:50 pm 
Unthought Known

vegman wrote:

Most of us would love to have more choice over not only what our plan covers but also what it doesn't cover. Not all of us need eyeglass coverage, mental health coverage etc., but we may have other needs that are less common amongst our co-workers like birth control. The way the system is set up we all get put into groups to keep costs down and many of us don't get covered what we need covered. The bulk of my health care visits are at my Chiro's office. I have a great health plan but I only get 5 Chiro visits a year, which is fine, I'm more than OK with paying for it. It would be nice though, to be able to cut something else out of my plan and add addt'l chiro visits since I'm paying a hefty monthly premium basically for annual checkups and the occasional visit to my primary and 5 Chiro visits. This is the plan my wife's job offers so it's what we have. (My job offers a plan which is more expensive and actually covers less and my wife's is covering our pre-natal in full)

What it sounds like you really want is choice in how to spend the health care resources allocated to you and find your insurer's allocation inadequate for your basic medical needs. Many women have the same issue with birth control. It makes sense to me that the cost of birth control more than offsets the medical costs of abortion or raising a child who cannot be properly provided for, but I tend to agree with Tyler that this should not be a government mandate. I would rather see the government allow the cost of birth control to be treated as a federal tax credit, so that they eat those dollars, rather than forcing the already morally-questionable insurance companies into increasing their costs and thus encouraging them to find some consumer-screwing way of offsetting the increase.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:50 pm 
Got Some

broken iris wrote:
vegman wrote:

What it sounds like you really want is choice in how to spend the health care resources allocated to you and find your insurer's allocation inadequate for your basic medical needs. Many women have the same issue with birth control. It makes sense to me that the cost of birth control more than offsets the medical costs of abortion or raising a child who cannot be properly provided for, but I tend to agree with Tyler that this should not be a government mandate. I would rather see the government allow the cost of birth control to be treated as a federal tax credit, so that they eat those dollars, rather than forcing the already morally-questionable insurance companies into increasing their costs and thus encouraging them to find some consumer-screwing way of offsetting the increase.

Yes, that choice is exactly what I want and I would agree with a tax credit for birth control.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:10 am 
alot of $$$

thodoks wrote:
Sandler wrote:
thodoks wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Lots and lots and lots and lots of entitlement in this thread.

Should tax payers in America, the richest country on Earth, not feel entitled to a healthy female population? Surely there is enough money in this nation to allow us to do whatever is necessary to ensure that all women have the opportunity to act responsibly by seeing doctors, getting tested, and not forcing society to raise their children for them.

And surely it's easy to see that a healthy female population with less unplanned pregnancies would lead to less entitlement spending.

See, this mindset is exactly the problem. The United States of America is NOT the richest country in the world; it is the most INDEBTED country in the world. Debt does not equal wealth, and the kind of reasoning that fails to make that distinction is the kind of reasoning that enables a fiscal death of a thousand paper cuts.

Man, thodoks FTW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:46 am 
Father Bitch

I still think it's the richest country. It's just that a lot of the wealth is untouchable. The government might be broke and in debt right now, but there's a ton of wealth in the private sector.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:23 pm 
Supersonic

Sandler wrote:
I still think it's the richest country. It's just that a lot of the wealth is untouchable. The government might be broke and in debt right now, but there's a ton of wealth in the private sector.

Go on . . .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:05 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Good for Mississippi...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/0 ... 82546.html

Bad for Mississippi...

http://themoralperspective.tumblr.com/p ... ississippi

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:09 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

given2trade wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Sandler wrote:
thodoks wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Lots and lots and lots and lots of entitlement in this thread.

Should tax payers in America, the richest country on Earth, not feel entitled to a healthy female population? Surely there is enough money in this nation to allow us to do whatever is necessary to ensure that all women have the opportunity to act responsibly by seeing doctors, getting tested, and not forcing society to raise their children for them.

And surely it's easy to see that a healthy female population with less unplanned pregnancies would lead to less entitlement spending.

See, this mindset is exactly the problem. The United States of America is NOT the richest country in the world; it is the most INDEBTED country in the world. Debt does not equal wealth, and the kind of reasoning that fails to make that distinction is the kind of reasoning that enables a fiscal death of a thousand paper cuts.

Man, thodoks FTW

I'm sure this is like the English Government. Labour gives, and we keep taking and taking, but at some point the money runs out!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:23 pm 
Administrator

Uh oh.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... tid=pm_pop

Obama administration refuses to relax Plan B restrictions

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:40 pm 
Unthought Known

Election Year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:47 am 
Interweb Celebrity

I don't see how that helps him in an election.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:07 am 
a joke

corduroy_blazer wrote:
I don't see how that helps him in an election.

Because Hard Core Pro Choice folks aren't voting for a republican no matter what- so he isn't loosing their vote over this. But maybe some moderate Pro-Life people may feel this is a strong enough step to support/continue to support him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:41 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

It's really incredible how Republicans have ignored a lot of talk about the economy and focused so much on restricting access to reproductive health care.

We gotta watch our backs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate