Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blasphemy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:31 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Alex wrote:
have we introduced corduroy_blazer and I Hail Randy Moss?

We are quite familiar with each other, friend.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:32 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

So this doesn't get bottom-paged:

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Hey ladies and gents -- if you're at all concerned with freedom of belief and expression, you might want to sign/share this petition:

http://wh.gov/cmUt

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm 
AnalLog

corduroy_blazer wrote:

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Hey ladies and gents -- if you're at all concerned with freedom of belief and expression, you might want to sign/share this petition:

i don't want to make a "whitehouse.gov" account.

but good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:07 am 
a joke

EllisEamos wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

corduroy_blazer wrote:

i don't want to make a "whitehouse.gov" account.

but good luck.

Just make everything under stips name, that's what I do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:39 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Got some news coverage here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

Atheists rally for persecuted unbeliever in Indonesia

Quote:
The atheist community has embraced the cause of an Indonesian man, Alexander Aan, who was beaten and jailed after denying God’s existence on Facebook and posting cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

The Center for Inquiry, a Washington-based humanist organization, launched a petition Tuesday (July 17) on behalf of Alexander Aan, a 30-year-old Indonesian civil servant currently serving a 30-month jail sentence for “deliberately spreading information inciting religious hatred and animosity,” according to the judge who sentenced him.

The petition asks the Obama administration to pressure the Indonesian government for Aan’s release and for better protection of religious freedom in that country, the most populous Muslim nation in the world.

“We are hoping that this petition will promote Aan’s cause and put it in the public consciousness so we can build a better coalition to get him out of jail,” said Michael De Dora, CFI’s director of public policy. “It should matter to all human beings any time another human being is being denied basic human rights.”

Aan was arrested in January after posting “God doesn’t exist” and cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad to the page of a Facebook group he started dedicated to atheism. The group had 1,200 members.

A crowd came to his house and beat him, according to news reports. Aan was charged with blasphemy and persuading others to embrace atheism, both crimes in Indonesia. In June, he was sentenced to jail and a fine of 100 million rupiah (about $10,600).

Earlier this month, Aan released a letter from his jail cell that thanked his backers for their “support and love.” He added, “Without this I feel alone.”

CFI posted the petition via We The People, the Obama administration’s website where anyone can bring a cause to the White House’s attention. They have 30 days to garner 25,000 signatures before the Obama officials will consider it.

Atheist Alliance International has also lobbied for Aan, pressuring the Indonesian government to release him and starting a legal defense fund in his name.

CFI has held two rallies on behalf of Aan, one outside the Indonesian embassy in Washington and another outside the Indonesian consulate to the United Nations in New York. There are also plans for a stand-alone website and a sign-on letter on Aan’s behalf.

“It depends on what happens with this petition,” De Dora said.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/world ... igion.html

Cairo Court Sentences Man to 3 Years for Insulting Religion

Quote:
A Cairo court sentenced an atheist from a Christian family on Wednesday to three years in prison for insulting religion, firing up fears about the future of freedom of expression here just as Egyptians prepare to vote on an Islamist-backed draft constitution denounced by secular groups as failing to protect such rights.

The convicted man, Albert Saber, is expected to be released on bail of about $167 pending an appeal. An open and avowed atheist, Mr. Saber, 27, was initially accused of circulating links to an offensive online video lampooning the Prophet Muhammad that set off protests across the Muslim world in September. Mr. Saber has denied promoting the video, and he is being charged for other statements critical of Islam and Christianity that police investigators found on his computer. Open profession of atheism is almost unheard-of in Egypt and is widely considered an affront to society as a whole.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 am 
Got Some

corduroy_blazer wrote:

Quote:
The atheist community has embraced the cause of an Indonesian man, Alexander Aan, who was beaten and jailed after denying God’s existence on Facebook and posting cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

The Center for Inquiry, a Washington-based humanist organization, launched a petition Tuesday (July 17) on behalf of Alexander Aan, a 30-year-old Indonesian civil servant currently serving a 30-month jail sentence for “deliberately spreading information inciting religious hatred and animosity,” according to the judge who sentenced him.

The petition asks the Obama administration to pressure the Indonesian government for Aan’s release and for better protection of religious freedom in that country, the most populous Muslim nation in the world.

“We are hoping that this petition will promote Aan’s cause and put it in the public consciousness so we can build a better coalition to get him out of jail,” said Michael De Dora, CFI’s director of public policy. “It should matter to all human beings any time another human being is being denied basic human rights.”

Aan was arrested in January after posting “God doesn’t exist” and cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad to the page of a Facebook group he started dedicated to atheism. The group had 1,200 members.

A crowd came to his house and beat him, according to news reports. Aan was charged with blasphemy and persuading others to embrace atheism, both crimes in Indonesia. In June, he was sentenced to jail and a fine of 100 million rupiah (about $10,600).

Earlier this month, Aan released a letter from his jail cell that thanked his backers for their “support and love.” He added, “Without this I feel alone.”

CFI posted the petition via We The People, the Obama administration’s website where anyone can bring a cause to the White House’s attention. They have 30 days to garner 25,000 signatures before the Obama officials will consider it.

Atheist Alliance International has also lobbied for Aan, pressuring the Indonesian government to release him and starting a legal defense fund in his name.

CFI has held two rallies on behalf of Aan, one outside the Indonesian embassy in Washington and another outside the Indonesian consulate to the United Nations in New York. There are also plans for a stand-alone website and a sign-on letter on Aan’s behalf.

"Furthermore", De Dipshit added, "Humanity is made of humans, after all, and what do we humans have left when any human anywhere is ostracized from humanity? I'll tell you what we humans have: Humanless Humanity, that's what."

but I wouldn't hold my breath

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:59 pm 
Supersonic

Man in Black wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

Quote:

"Furthermore", De Dipshit added, "Humanity is made of humans, after all, and what do we humans have left when any human anywhere is ostracized from humanity? I'll tell you what we humans have: Humanless Humanity, that's what."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:38 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

What's amusing is that if he lived in Indonesia, Man in Black would be in jail, if not dead.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:54 am 
Got Some

corduroy_blazer wrote:
What's amusing is that if he lived in Indonesia, Man in Black would be in jail, if not dead.

That Islam is something else, ain't it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:42 pm 
Got Some

corduroy_blazer wrote:

Quote:

corduroy_blazer wrote:
In regards to the courts, Christianity frightens me way more than Islam.

Still feel that way, brah?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:13 am 
Global Moderator

the problem isn't really Islam or Christianity as much as it is religious fundamentalism, isn't it? In Indonesia I'd fear the Muslims. In parts of the US I'd fear the Christians.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:08 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Where'd you find that post? I'm almost positive it was made in reference to the United States.

And yes, Stip, the problem is, broadly speaking, religious fundamentalism. In the U.S. that comes mostly in Christian forms. In Indonesia and many other places it comes mostly in Islamic forms.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:50 am 
Got Some

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Where'd you find that post? I'm almost positive it was made in reference to the United States.

And yes, Stip, the problem is, broadly speaking, religious fundamentalism. In the U.S. that comes mostly in Christian forms. In Indonesia and many other places it comes mostly in Islamic forms.

The "Center for Inquiry" has been filing petitions in America for those jailed for blasphemy, has it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:07 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Man in Black wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

The "Center for Inquiry" has been filing petitions in America for those jailed for blasphemy, has it?

We filed a petition with the Obama administration over the Aan case. It didn't collect enough signatures.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:56 pm 
Got Some

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Man in Black wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

We filed a petition with the Obama administration over the Aan case. It didn't collect enough signatures.

Can someone explain my question to our resident intellectual?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:32 pm 
Global Moderator

do you really want a wishlist of all the things the christian fundamentalist community in the United States (or elements of it, anyway) would like to do if they could?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:24 pm 
Got Some

stip wrote:
do you really want a wishlist of all the things the christian fundamentalist community in the United States (or elements of it, anyway) would like to do if they could?

We don't have to think hypothetically, we don't have to imagine what would happen if christian fundamentalists made laws and sat as judges.
We can look at what people do, in the name of religion, outside of the law.

http://crss.pk/downloads/Reports/Specia ... llings.pdf

Could you point out please, in which predominantly christian country, there is anything remotely resembling this kind of issue?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:46 am 
Global Moderator

Today? There aren't many countries run by christian fundamentalists (remember, our argument is that the issue is fundamentalism).

But if you like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Ant ... ality_Bill

However, they just dropped the death penalty provision from the bill, so I guess that's a start.

Imagine if these people had power

http://www.godhatesfags.com

And a few states filed amici curiae briefs in the Lawrence v Texas case upholding a states right to make homosexual sex a criminal act.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/914129/posts

The anti gay, anti reproductive rights, anti woman, anti science agenda of elements of the christian right in this country is terrifying. It is just fortunately not a majority position. But I do believe that if those groups had power they would quite quickly morph into the kind of horrid Islamic fundamentalism you are rightly decrying.

There's nothing in Christian scripture that prevents this sort of stuff from happening. We know that from history. The fundamentalist mindset will lead to certain types of behaviors, certain policies, understandings of individual autonomy, epistemological and moral certainty, etc. that is dangerous and anathema to a free society. Fortunately most western nations have strong enough liberal traditions to counter that. But it's nothing special about Christianity. It's the forces outside it that constrain it that are significant here.

And again, to be clear, I don't think all Christians are horrible fundamentalists in disguise, just as I don't think that about jews, muslims, etc. My argument is that the fundamentalist mindset and its political implications transcend particular regions boundaries. It's a fundamentalism problem, not a religious problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:08 am 
Got Some

stip wrote:
Today? There aren't many countries run by christian fundamentalists (remember, our argument is that the issue is fundamentalism).

But if you like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Ant ... ality_Bill

However, they just dropped the death penalty provision from the bill, so I guess that's a start.

Imagine if these people had power

http://www.godhatesfags.com

And a few states filed amici curiae briefs in the Lawrence v Texas case upholding a states right to make homosexual sex a criminal act.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/914129/posts

The anti gay, anti reproductive rights, anti woman, anti science agenda of elements of the christian right in this country is terrifying. It is just fortunately not a majority position. But I do believe that if those groups had power they would quite quickly morph into the kind of horrid Islamic fundamentalism you are rightly decrying.

There's nothing in Christian scripture that prevents this sort of stuff from happening. We know that from history. The fundamentalist mindset will lead to certain types of behaviors, certain policies, understandings of individual autonomy, epistemological and moral certainty, etc. that is dangerous and anathema to a free society. Fortunately most western nations have strong enough liberal traditions to counter that. But it's nothing special about Christianity. It's the forces outside it that constrain it that are significant here.

And again, to be clear, I don't think all Christians are horrible fundamentalists in disguise, just as I don't think that about jews, muslims, etc. My argument is that the fundamentalist mindset and its political implications transcend particular regions boundaries. It's a fundamentalism problem, not a religious problem.

No, you're not getting my question, or more likely, you're avoiding it.

I linked to a study by an investigative reporter in Pakistan who is documenting killings in Pakistan for blasphemy. These executions are not sanctioned by any government body, they are against the law obviously. These are rogue elements carrying out executions in the name of Islam.

This type of thing is not what you'd call unusual in Islamic countries, unfortunately.

If "There's nothing in Christian scripture that prevents this sort of stuff from happening" and "The fundamentalist mindset will lead to certain types of behaviors", why are we not seeing extra judicial killings (other than by Obama's drone program, but that's another thread) by christians in the name of christianity?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate