Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Documentaries
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:22 pm 
The Man, The Myth
 WWW  Profile

I recently found out about the goldmine that is Google Videos. I was surprised to find that a decent number of my favorite documentaries are on there, full-length, for viewing or downloading. So here's a listing of some of my favorites for anyone else that enjoys documentaries.

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised - Accidental inside footage of the Venezuelan coup that ousts Hugo Chavez. This is a remarkable film.

Earthlings - A comprehensive look at how animals are used throughout our society, broken into five parts: pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and experimentation. It's graphic but eye-opening.

The Secret Government - A PBS special hosted by Bill Moyers that duelves into the CIA's involvement in things you probably never heard of. 22-mins long.

Peaceable Kingdom - A look at some inspirational individuals and what they're doing to positively affect the world. Includes a 4th generation farmer that ends up leaving his multi-million dollar, industrialized farm behind and a pair of folks that start a farm sanctuary for animals.

McLibel - McDonalds used to be well known for forcing news agencies like the BBC to retract any negative stories on the basis of libel. This is the story of two ordinary folks that take on McDonalds in court, in what becomes a 10-year embarrassment for the fast-food chain.

Some other interesting documentaries on Google:
What the Bleed Do We Know?
Wal-mart: The High Cost of Low Prices
Peace, Propaganda, and The Promised Land
COINTELPRO: The FBI's War on Black America

Finally, some documentaries that I love that aren't on Google:
Weather Underground
The Witness
The Future of Food
Outfoxed

And some that I really want to see:
Piracy Documentary
Alternative Freedom

If anyone decides to watch any of these, I'd love to hear their thoughts. Also, what other documentaries do people recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:23 pm 
Mike's Maniac

:shock:

Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:25 pm 
Unthought Known

stonecrest wrote:
I recently found out about the goldmine that is Google Videos. I was surprised to find that a decent number of my favorite documentaries are on there, full-length, for viewing or downloading. So here's a listing of some of my favorites for anyone else that enjoys documentaries.

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised - Accidental inside footage of the Venezuelan coup that ousts Hugo Chavez. This is a remarkable film.

Earthlings - A comprehensive look at how animals are used throughout our society, broken into five parts: pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and experimentation. It's graphic but eye-opening.

The Secret Government - A PBS special hosted by Bill Moyers that duelves into the CIA's involvement in things you probably never heard of. 22-mins long.

Peaceable Kingdom - A look at some inspirational individuals and what they're doing to positively affect the world. Includes a 4th generation farmer that ends up leaving his multi-million dollar, industrialized farm behind and a pair of folks that start a farm sanctuary for animals.

McLibel - McDonalds used to be well known for forcing news agencies like the BBC to retract any negative stories on the basis of libel. This is the story of two ordinary folks that take on McDonalds in court, in what becomes a 10-year embarrassment for the fast-food chain.

Weather Underground
The Witness
The Future of Food
Outfoxed

Piracy Documentary
Alternative Freedom

If anyone decides to watch any of these, I'd love to hear their thoughts. Also, what other documentaries do people recommend?

Its nice to note that your interests extent beyond animal welfare/ vegetarianism. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:29 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Awesome, thanks Ol' Crusty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:57 am 
Unthought Known

A few titles that stick in my mind:

To Be and To Have- Fly-on-the-wall view of a rural French school with the most attentive teacher and the cutest kids you can imagine. Doesn't really inform you of anything, but as a film, it grabs at the audience on so many levels. Get back, Jojo!

Supervolcano: The Truth About Yellowstone- The companion factual piece to the BBC-Discovery docudrama Supervolcano.

Mega-Tsunami: Wave of Destruction- A BBC production that Discovery played over and over and over in the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami disaster. Basically, the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands has the potential to break up. When it does, the rapid shift of the landmass into the water will create a wall of water that will devastate eastern US, and by that I mean a lot more than just the coast.

There's always some great docos here on Aussie tv on Tuesdays. I don't know where to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:47 pm 
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

thanks man, I'll be taking some time to watch these.

you are the human wyoming

Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:11 am 
Got Some

stonecrest wrote:

Weather Underground
The Witness
The Future of Food
Outfoxed

Piracy Documentary
Alternative Freedom

Wow, you're not boxed in by any ideologies, are you?

but I wouldn't hold my breath

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:01 am 
The Man, The Myth
 WWW  Profile

Hinny wrote:
Supervolcano: The Truth About Yellowstone- The companion factual piece to the BBC-Discovery docudrama Supervolcano.

This looks really interesting, thanks Hinny. I'm going to see if I can find it.

Hopefully more people will post their favorite documentaries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:32 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Thanks! The Revolution Will Not Be Televised really is remarkable - one of the best documentaries i've ever seen. I also enjoyed McLibel and The Secret Government because they show some unusual perspectives. Thought-provoking stuff.

I'll watch the others as soon as i find the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:32 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Thanks for the recommendations. I just watched The Corporation, and really enjoyed it. Watching Outfoxed tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:51 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Nice find. I've been wanting to watch The Revolution Will Not Be Televised for a LONG time now. The documentary showing the truth behind the Israeli/Palestinian was also terrific. Good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:09 am 
AnalLog

It's not current events related, but my personal favorite is Bukowski's "Born Into This"

Always do the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:41 pm 
Unthought Known

With just 2 weeks left until Germany '06, this kind of qualifies for current affairs.

The Other Final- I spend a lot of time in the sports forum talking about the power of football in uniting people from around the world. This doco expresses that sentiment perfectly. The lowest ranked countries in the world, Bhutan (in the Himalayas) and Montserrat (in the Carribean) come together for a friendly match arranged by a Dutchman who was pissed off at his national side for missing out on qualifying for the 2002 finals. It talks about the inspiration for the game, the logistical difficulties, various dramas in the leadup to the match, and a small bit on the actual game itself.

Doesn't matter if you don't enjoy football. The doco is still an absolute joy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:46 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

I watched Wal-Mart: The High Cost of a Low Price today. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:53 pm 
Got Some

GREAT POST! My favorite:

I got a couple more that explore this kind of stuff, goes more into the drug running of the CIA. I'll see if I can find links to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:40 am 
Former PJ Drummer

I watched a few of these, just great stuff but especially "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised." I don't think I've seen a better documentary in the last few years if not ever.

May I also recommend Errol Morris's "The Fog of War." A very frank and exposing interview of former secretary of defense Robert McNamara.

Quote:
Robert S. McNamara discusses his experiences and lessons learned during his tenure as Secretary of Defense under John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson. He talks about his work as a bombing statistician during World War II, his brief tenure as president of Ford Motor Company, and the Kennedy administration's triumph during the Cuban Missle Crisis. However, the film focuses primarily on his failures in Vietnam. The theme of the film are his "eleven lessons" learned during this time. Some of these include improving military efficiency, understanding your enemy, and the frustrations of trying to deal with (and unsuccessfully trying to change) human nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:02 am 
The Man, The Myth
 WWW  Profile

glorified_version wrote:
May I also recommend Errol Morris's "The Fog of War." A very frank and exposing interview of former secretary of defense Robert McNamara.

Thanks for this, g_v. I've watched it a while back but I think I was ridiculously tired at the time because I can barely remember it. I really need to watch it again.

I'm glad folks are enjoying The Revolution Will Not Be Televised, it blew me away the first time I watched it. I also think it's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, and to think that it all got on film by chance. It's interesting to get such a different viewpoint of what was/is going on down there, it's a great reminder of how every story has two sides..

Also, the Piracy Documentary is now available for download, I'm going to check it out sometime this week :)

Keep the suggestions coming..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:12 am 
AnalLog

The Fog of War is truly excellent. I had the pleasure of watching it in my World Studies class during our Vietnam unit and it was quite enlightening.

Always do the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:43 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

North Korea: Children of the Secret State.

Check out the scene when all these Communist Party kids are singing praises to the mighty Kim Jong Il. Bone chilling.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7402742053

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:03 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

War Tapes
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... OCUMENTARY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate