Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: GASLAND
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:59 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

As far as #2, I'm a few people removed from my father-in-law's LLC, but I'm under the impression that they get some kind of royalty on the profit made from the gas pull from their land.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:40 am 
AnalLog

B wrote:
As far as #2, I'm a few people removed from my father-in-law's LLC, but I'm under the impression that they get some kind of royalty on the profit made from the gas pull from their land.

good to know we've matured since There Will Be Blood era negotiations.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:12 am 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:
B wrote:

good to know we've matured since There Will Be Blood era negotiations.

not really, it's just done with lawyers now.

I drink your milkshake.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:17 pm 
Supersonic

B wrote:

It's usually not a "royalty." It's a flat fee. Every week at work our administrators send out wellhead counts, rig counts, in America and Canada. This fluctuates quite a bit depending on the price of gas. It's a pretty remarkable reflection pertaining to the price of gas and oil. So a drilling outfit may tap a wellhead in the Marcellus Shale, but may turn it on and off according to supplies and prices. Certain wells require a certain price to operate. But this doesn't matter in relation to that contract with the property owner. They will get paid a flat fee each month regardless of whether gas is being pumped or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:54 am 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
I drink your milkshake.

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:34 am 
Supersonic

Not much luck information mining at the Technical School. It's almost exclusively applications engineers that do nothing but design skids and never leave the office. Nobody knows anything about anything of real use.

There are two employees of Chesapeake in the class. Apparently they use my companies compressors in any application we cover. The guy I'm sitting next to has not impressed me one bit.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
B wrote:

It's usually not a "royalty." It's a flat fee.

Well, his particular contract definitely pays dependent upon how much gas actually gets mined.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:32 pm 
Supersonic

B wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
B wrote:

Well, his particular contract definitely pays dependent upon how much gas actually gets mined.

That's surprising. The amount of gas that comes out of the wellhead can vary a lot. I wouldn't sign a contract like that. I'd want a monthly paycheck based on whether or not the gas company had equipment on my land. A gas company can come in, set up a wellhead, and then just let it sit there idle for months, if not years, waiting for the price of gas to come up so its profitable to pump the gas. That also means that all the time the company has equipment on your land, is drilling, surveying, and commissioning the unit, that you're not getting any money. I'd tell them to fuck off if they only wanted to pay me while gas was flowing.

I had a chance to talk to some folks recently. In Gasland the water on fire from the tap is completely bogus. The state of Colorado went out on six different occasions and analyzed the water. Apparently his water well was drilled through 4 different layers of coal, and the gas in the water was biogas. None of it was methane or any other heavier hydrocarbons like propane or butane.

Fracking slurry is 99.5% water and sand, with a couple of other constituents in the slurry. Apparently Gasland says it's FIVE HUNDRED NINETY FIVE chemicals. And they never tell you how small they are. All MSDS sheets are available on any fracking site for the chemicals used. And all sights are monitored by state health departments.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:45 am 
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
B wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
B wrote:

That's surprising. The amount of gas that comes out of the wellhead can vary a lot. I wouldn't sign a contract like that. I'd want a monthly paycheck based on whether or not the gas company had equipment on my land. A gas company can come in, set up a wellhead, and then just let it sit there idle for months, if not years, waiting for the price of gas to come up so its profitable to pump the gas. That also means that all the time the company has equipment on your land, is drilling, surveying, and commissioning the unit, that you're not getting any money. I'd tell them to fuck off if they only wanted to pay me while gas was flowing.

My father-in-law is not a dumb man, and he's extremely methodical. I don't pretend to know the details of his contract, but I am certain there is money coming his way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:28 pm 
AnalLog

fracosaurus? that's the best they could come up with?

print your own for your kids!!
http://www.scribd.com/doc/58317334/Talisman-Terry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:18 pm 
Administrator

Comic Sans :shake:

Dan Gilbert would be proud.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:28 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:

Well Frac me sideways.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:03 pm 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

Well Frac me sideways.

books
--4--
life

Muthafracker!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:03 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

EllisEamos wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

Well Frac me sideways.

books
--4--
life

Muthafracker!

books by male authors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:57 pm 
Supersonic

Saw the documentary today after work. There's a lot of LOL funny material in it. Some that I have to examine, investigate, and consider.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:01 am 
AnalLog

LittleWing wrote:
Saw the documentary today after work. There's a lot of LOL funny material in it. Some that I have to examine, investigate, and consider.

keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:03 am 
Supersonic

A couple items.

There is a lot that is done for dramatic effect.

At the point when they are talking about hydrogen sulfide they dramatically show a sign that is on a gathering station that says poison gas may be present. All stations are required to post one of these signs around all of their gathering stations, because, well, hydrogen sulfide gas might be present. At the same time they talk to people who can longer smell, but smelled natural gas before they couldn't smell! Well, natural gas doesn't smell around a gathering station number one. And number two, if you are ingesting enough hydrogen sulfide gas to make you not smell over any given period of time you are going to die a quick death. Lastly, there are federal regulations, very very strict, federal regulations might I add, about hydrogen sulfide. If sample gas ever reaches above 50ppm then gathering and compressor stations have to be outfitted with automatic shutdown equipment and hydrogen sulfide sensors. They also have to have a wind sock, and one out of every four people working a station has to have a sensor at waist level. You have the windsock around the compressor station so you know where NOT to run if there is ever a blowout or release of H2S. I don't think I saw windsocks anywhere in the whole movie except for midstream gas stations or the pipeline boosters where they are required by law. (It's funny, they say that the pipeline booster is boosted by turbines, but they show one my companies reciprocating compressors!) Anyhow, the lack of windsocks at the stations he visits tells me that those stations aren't pumping sour gas. Which, a great deal of our gas in America isn't sour... Canada on the other hand...

The gas mask is fucking stupidly ridiculous. You do not need a gas mask anywhere around any compressor station. Stupid, dramatic, propaganda.

Holding tanks do not emit hazardous gasses. The gas is "dried" of condensibles, and kept as condensibles (because they make money off of it.) You have to get condensibles out of your gas stream before it reaches the compressor, because, well, liquids aren't condensible and will pretty much explode your compressor if you don't (which does happen, but never on purpose). A gas gathering compressor station will have gas coming out of the well head and directly into a scrubber bottle to get rid of as much of the condensibles as possible. There are dump valves on the condensibles that usually empty into holding tanks, but sometimes (and I don't know the rules) if it's just water, they dump it to atmo.

In "Dish Texas," they are dealing with a major pipeline. I believe they said they were dealing with a billion MMSCFD. Which is an astonishing number. The guy says that there's all kinds of hydrocarbons (heavy hydrocarbons at that) hovering over the town from the boosting station there. This is pretty much bogus. Pipeline compressors are a DREAM for my company and for packagers because it is very damn near 100% pure methane, with maybe, maaaaaaaaaaybe just a little bit of water. It's dry gas, and an easy skid to design. With a pipeline like that all other hydrocarbons (the benzenes, propanes, iso-propanes) have long been removed at either the initial gathering station or the midstream station.

I've found some pretty solid criticism on other items of note, but I'm gonna spend some time at work fleshing it out more fully.

The one thing that I am really interested in is the part about the hurricanes washing up the final waste products of 30 years of fracking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:12 am 
AnalLog

LittleWing wrote:
A couple items.

There is a lot that is done for dramatic effect.

At the point when they are talking about hydrogen sulfide they dramatically show a sign that is on a gathering station that says poison gas may be present. All stations are required to post one of these signs around all of their gathering stations, because, well, hydrogen sulfide gas might be present. At the same time they talk to people who can longer smell, but smelled natural gas before they couldn't smell! Well, natural gas doesn't smell around a gathering station number one. And number two, if you are ingesting enough hydrogen sulfide gas to make you not smell over any given period of time you are going to die a quick death. Lastly, there are federal regulations, very very strict, federal regulations might I add, about hydrogen sulfide. If sample gas ever reaches above 50ppm then gathering and compressor stations have to be outfitted with automatic shutdown equipment and hydrogen sulfide sensors. They also have to have a wind sock, and one out of every four people working a station has to have a sensor at waist level. You have the windsock around the compressor station so you know where NOT to run if there is ever a blowout or release of H2S. I don't think I saw windsocks anywhere in the whole movie except for midstream gas stations or the pipeline boosters where they are required by law. (It's funny, they say that the pipeline booster is boosted by turbines, but they show one my companies reciprocating compressors!) Anyhow, the lack of windsocks at the stations he visits tells me that those stations aren't pumping sour gas. Which, a great deal of our gas in America isn't sour... Canada on the other hand...

The gas mask is fucking stupidly ridiculous. You do not need a gas mask anywhere around any compressor station. Stupid, dramatic, propaganda.

Holding tanks do not emit hazardous gasses. The gas is "dried" of condensibles, and kept as condensibles (because they make money off of it.) You have to get condensibles out of your gas stream before it reaches the compressor, because, well, liquids aren't condensible and will pretty much explode your compressor if you don't (which does happen, but never on purpose). A gas gathering compressor station will have gas coming out of the well head and directly into a scrubber bottle to get rid of as much of the condensibles as possible. There are dump valves on the condensibles that usually empty into holding tanks, but sometimes (and I don't know the rules) if it's just water, they dump it to atmo.

In "Dish Texas," they are dealing with a major pipeline. I believe they said they were dealing with a billion MMSCFD. Which is an astonishing number. The guy says that there's all kinds of hydrocarbons (heavy hydrocarbons at that) hovering over the town from the boosting station there. This is pretty much bogus. Pipeline compressors are a DREAM for my company and for packagers because it is very damn near 100% pure methane, with maybe, maaaaaaaaaaybe just a little bit of water. It's dry gas, and an easy skid to design. With a pipeline like that all other hydrocarbons (the benzenes, propanes, iso-propanes) have long been removed at either the initial gathering station or the midstream station.

I've found some pretty solid criticism on other items of note, but I'm gonna spend some time at work fleshing it out more fully.

The one thing that I am really interested in is the part about the hurricanes washing up the final waste products of 30 years of fracking.

for an initial take, that's quite re-assuring. thnx.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:05 am 
AnalLog

oh frac you, biden!

Quote:
“If [Mr. Biden] paid attention to government geologists rather than winging it on the campaign trail, he’d know that concerns about disposal injection wells have been tied to minor earthquakes. But this administration has a pattern of distorting he facts about energy production in America,” he said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... rthquakes/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 pm 
Supersonic

Heh, Gasland.

Fracking causes minor earthquakes, very minor earthquakes, yes. Next?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate