Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: GASLAND
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:22 pm 
AnalLog

LittleWing wrote:
After they get done capping it remains way below the water table done in the gas/oil/coal bed. Again, all that crap is apparently capped off and has no way of going back up.

apparently being the key word. the movie says nothing of capping, which sounds great how you describe it, but i'm very skeptical that halliburton has figured out concrete (re: deep water horizon et al)

LittleWing wrote:
Are you sure it's used water? Everything the guys I talked to (field operators to engineers) said that once they shoot the water it doesn't spill out elsewhere or go into other pools. The pools could have been water extracted elsewhere and transported to the holding pond before fracking occurred.

yes i'm sure, its called Flowback Water or Produced Water, this was water that had been trucked in, mixed w/ the cocktail, used, and supposedly mostly contained after use (i.e. stayed in the ground), but had been documented that up to half of the water that goes down comes back up and has to go somewhere. It was reported by some people in the movie, that some of the water was dumped down the road from sites directly onto the surface of the land adjacent to the road, while other large quantities were left in the open pools as i described previously. If you watch the movie he runs through this about 45 minutes in.

LittleWing wrote:
I'm not surprised that the recipe used for fracking is a strongly kept secret.... From what I understand it's not chemicals that make it powerful, it's aggregate, it's the type of sand and grit they use. The convert the water into an abrasive slurry to cut through the shale. Not sure what the chemicals provide.

the chemicals that are known to be used are pretty brutal compounds, and as i've posted, they're not contained in the "capped" wells. And so far, we've been talking about the cocktail, we've chosen not the talk about the pollution from the rest of the rigging that is on record throughout the country.

LittleWing wrote:
I specifically asked the guys if they knew what the chemicals were, and nobody knew for certain. The two engineers that were at the table said they didn't have any real health concerns about it either way, the one was a field tech, and both were pretty firm in their belief that it would be physically impossible to get leaching into the water table through the process due to capping.

i think Chud summed up my feelings on these first hand quotes.

LittleWing wrote:
When I talk about safety, yes, sour gas is a concern. But they are extremely careful in the ways they deal with sour gas. Nobody is knowingly being sent into locations where sour gas is going to kill people dead without the proper PPE.

and what of people that live in the area where seepage into water tables could occur? what of wildlife that are not prevented nor protected from the flowback pits or the polluted air from these rigs?

for my two comments about air pollution, check the 70 minute mark.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 am 
Supersonic

So does everything I say not matter because I work in the natural gas industry?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:40 am 
Unthought Known

From my experience, Produced water is the naturally occuring stuff that comes out of the ground in the process of oil/ gas production. Some deposits have about as much water as oil, while others do not have quite such significant amounts. Flowback refers specifically to the frack water with all those lovely additives that comes back out of the ground.

It was my summer job to try to clean up the Produced water so that they didn't have to dispose of it in injection wells, which is the industry standard outside of the Utah area where they use evaporation ponds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:41 am 
AnalLog

LittleWing wrote:

not everything.

simple schoolboy wrote:
From my experience, Produced water is the naturally occuring stuff that comes out of the ground in the process of oil/ gas production. Some deposits have about as much water as oil, while others do not have quite such significant amounts. Flowback refers specifically to the frack water with all those lovely additives that comes back out of the ground.

It was my summer job to try to clean up the Produced water so that they didn't have to dispose of it in injection wells, which is the industry standard outside of the Utah area where they use evaporation ponds.

i can only repeat what the movie says, but he claims that the terms are used synonymously.

based on your comment though, flowback water is real and comes back out of the ground, therefore its not contained in LW's magic capping process.

you've also backed up the existence of the evaporation ponds and the need for injection wells which, again as the movie explains, are more elaborate ways of evaporating all these brutal things found in the fracking cocktail.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:04 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:

It's not that it doesn't matter, but it's going to be viewed with a lot of skepticism. You can't expect people to just take you word for stuff.

Hell, no one on this board takes you at your word on any subject. I'm not really sure why you're surprised.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:18 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
LittleWing wrote:

not everything.

simple schoolboy wrote:

i can only repeat what the movie says, but he claims that the terms are used synonymously.

based on your comment though, flowback water is real and comes back out of the ground, therefore its not contained in LW's magic capping process.

you've also backed up the existence of the evaporation ponds and the need for injection wells which, again as the movie explains, are more elaborate ways of evaporating all these brutal things found in the fracking cocktail.

Magic capping process? Let me ask you a question, if the capping process was magic, how in the hell do you think they capture gas into the gas gatherers in the first place without having it spill out high pressure deposits in the first place? This is why I hate discussing the most mundane of topics with you. You know what's magic? Getting gas into a pipeline without pressure seal in the bore going into the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:21 pm 
statistically insignificant

but elliseamos and B have seen a movie about this

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:54 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

to be fair, I was surfing RM while watching the movie. I wasn't giving it my full attention. Thus my inability to debate the topic well or decide if I can live with myself for reaping the profits of such a process.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:03 am 
AnalLog

LittleWing wrote:
Magic capping process? Let me ask you a question, if the capping process was magic, how in the hell do you think they capture gas into the gas gatherers in the first place without having it spill out high pressure deposits in the first place? This is why I hate discussing the most mundane of topics with you. You know what's magic? Getting gas into a pipeline without pressure seal in the bore going into the ground.

i'm calling it magic that it contains everything you say it does, when there is no way of knowing to what extent it contains all these chemicals and gases that are very forcefully disturbed beneath these now weakened rocks. i'm not saying its not effective for the purpose its used, i'm just skeptical that its as impervious as you and your new colleagues purport. this isn't mundane at all so don't get too huffy on us if you don't like being questioned about things you yourself are still learning about.

thodoks wrote:
but elliseamos and B have seen a movie about this

i'm not claiming to be an expert, or that the movie is gospel... which is why i was sure to point out where in the movie my posted material was from. in case there was a misunderstanding on my part, or the movie's.

the comment is funny though. :nice:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:52 am 
Unthought Known

To be clear, by 'coming out of the ground' I mean through the wellhead, where they seperate it from the useful hydrocarbons.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:03 am 
Unthought Known

I'm sure the movie talked about this, but the contents of the fracking fluids and gels are closely guarded industry secrets. This was a problem for my company because we were trying to treat this water and the fracking contractors wouldn't give us much information about what was in there. In my limited experience, flowback has a milky look and smells vaguely citrusy. Produced water is dark and smells mostly of hydrocarbons. A smell test was a primary indicator of what we received in a given truckload. But again, the nomenclature I am familiar with could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:25 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

AP v3420 ra 1nt--
BC-US--Gas Drilling-Frackwater Spill,106
Report: Drilling fluid spilled at Pa. gas well
Eds: APNewsNow. Will be updated.
CANTON, Pa. (AP) - Operators have lost control of a natural gas well in rural northern Pennsylvania, leading to a spill of fluids used in the drilling process.
Bradford County emergency officials say thousands of gallons of tainted water have spilled from a Chesapeake Energy Corp. well site near Canton since early Wednesday.
Francis Roupp is deputy director of the county emergency management agency. He tells The Associated Press there were no injuries, explosion or fire.
He says fluids have reached a small stream but "no adverse effects" have been reported. He says a cracked well casing is suspected.
Chesapeake spokesman Rory Sweeney says the company is preparing a statement.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:29 pm 
Reissued

I'm sorry, but I can't comfortably debate this until I see a movie about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:29 pm 
a joke

Mickey wrote:

:cop:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=89595&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=bunch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 pm 
Supersonic

Mickey wrote:

After you see the movie about it, would you then like to discuss it with people who actually work in the gas industry?

We were out with clients and all had a good laugh about the movie, but no details were discussed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:40 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

If there is anything the last few years of economic meltdowns and oil spills have taught me, it's that you should fully trust those with a profit motive to tell you the truth, no matter the consequences.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:42 pm 
Father Bitch

LittleWing wrote:
would you then like to discuss it with people who actually work in the gas industry?

I think most people would like to know what exactly is in the fracking fluid. People are concerned, and if you're right that this is a relatively harmless process, there should be no need to keep this information from the public.

dkfan9 wrote:
If there is anything the last few years of economic meltdowns and oil spills have taught me, it's that you should fully trust those with a profit motive to tell you the truth, no matter the consequences.

:nice:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:54 am 
Reissued

LittleWing wrote:
Mickey wrote:

After you see the movie about it, would you then like to discuss it with people who actually work in the gas industry?

We were out with clients and all had a good laugh about the movie, but no details were discussed.

I honestly don't give a shit about anything in this thread, I'm just here for lulz, just like your clients.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:13 am 
AnalLog

Mickey wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I honestly don't give a shit about anything in this thread, I'm just here for lulz, just like your clients.

finally, some truth!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:29 am 
Supersonic

To give credit where it is currently due:

Where education discussions reign, LW has frequently asked questions in response to my posts that clearly imply a degree of doubt. But, at the same time, he has never used my station as a reason to refute my statements. There is a real value inherent to that approach that cannot be refuted, especially when doing something as non-consequential as using a message board to try and prove people wrong.

For the record.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate