Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: WikiLeaks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:08 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

haven't read it but it's probably good

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feat ... ntPage=all

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:58 pm 
Got Some

wikileaks was last weeks controversy...does anyone actually still care?

:roll: jk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:28 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ja ... s-messages

Quote:
A member of parliament in Iceland who is also a former WikiLeaks volunteer says the US justice department has ordered Twitter to hand over her private messages.

Birgitta Jonsdottir, an MP for the Movement in Iceland, said last night on Twitter that the "USA government wants to know about all my tweets and more since november 1st 2009. Do they realize I am a member of parliament in Iceland?"

She said she was starting a legal fight to stop the US getting hold of her messages, after being told by Twitter that a subpoena had been issued. She wrote: "department of justice are requesting twitter to provide the info – I got 10 days to stop it via legal process before twitter hands it over."

She said the justice department was "just sending a message and of course they are asking for a lot more than just my tweets."

Jonsdottir said she was demanding a meeting with the US ambassador to Iceland. "The justice department has gone completely over the top." She added that the US authorities had requested personal information from Twitter as well as her private messages and that she was now assessing her legal position.

"It's not just about my information. It's a warning for anyone who had anything to do with WikiLeaks. It is completely unacceptable for the US justice department to flex its muscles like this. I am lucky, I'm a representative in parliament. But what of other people? It's my duty to do whatever I can to stop this abuse."

Twitter would not comment on the case. In a statement, the company said: "We're not going to comment on specific requests, but, to help users protect their rights, it's our policy to notify users about law enforcement and governmental requests for their information, unless we are prevented by law from doing so."

Most of Twitter's messages are public, but users can also send private messages on the service.

Marc Rotenberg, president of the online watchdog the Electronic Privacy Information Centre (EPIC) in Washington, said it appeared the US justice department was looking at building a case against WikiLeaks and its founder, Julian Assange, over its publication of secret US documents.

EPIC has already requested that the US authorities hand over information about their investigations into people who have donated to WikiLeaks via Mastercard, Visa or PayPal.

"The government has the right to get information, but that has to be done in a lawful way. Is there a lawful prosecution that could be brought against WikiLeaks? It seems unlikely to me. But it's a huge question here in the US," said Rotenberg.

Jonsdottir was involved in WikiLeaks' release last year of a video which showed a US military helicopter shooting two Reuters reporters in Iraq. US authorities believe the video was leaked by Private Bradley Manning.

Adrian Lamo, the hacker who reported Manning to the authorities, indicated that Manning first contacted WikiLeaks in late November 2009 – a period covered by the request for Jonsdottir's tweet history.

In 2009 Jonsdottir invited Assange to a party at the US embassy in Reykjavik where he chatted with the ambassador to Iceland. WikiLeaks had recently published a secret report on the collapse of the country's banks.

"I said it would be a bit of a prank to take him and see if they knew who he was. I don't think they had any idea," Jonsdottir said last year.

The MP has distanced herself from Assange and WikiLeaks, saying he should take a step back to deal with an investigation in Sweden. The 39-year-old is fighting extradition to the country, where two women have accused him of sexual misconduct. He denies the allegations.

In Iceland she has championed the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative which is aimed at creating legislation to make Iceland a legal haven for journalists and media outlets.

She is not the first WikiLeaks associate to be targeted by US officials. Last July Jacob Appelbaum, one of Assange's closest colleagues, was interrogated for three hours and had his phones confiscated upon entering the country at Newark airport. Customs officials photocopied receipts and searched his laptop.

The justice department did not returns calls seeking comment last night.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
US Government Strategy To Prevent Leaks Is Leaked
from Slashdot by samzenpus

Jake writes "The US government's 11-page document on how to get various US government agencies to prevent future leaks has been leaked. It doesn't get any more ironic than that. After the various leaks made by WikiLeaks, the US government understandably wants to limit the number of potential leaks, but their strategy apparently isn't implemented yet. It's clear that the Obama administration is telling federal agencies to take aggressive steps to prevent further leaks. According to the document, these steps include figuring out which employees might be most inclined to leak classified documents, by using psychiatrists and sociologists to assess their trustworthiness. The memo also suggests that agencies require all their employees to report any contacts with members of the news media they may have."

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/01/09/ ... -Is-Leaked

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:02 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Is RM going to get subpoenaed for posting these articles?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:34 pm 
On the bright side

Hope none of you have offshore/Swiss accounts.

Quote:
London (CNN) -- A Swiss whistle-blower Monday handed over what he said were secret Swiss banking records to WikiLeaks, the website dedicated to revealing secrets.
Swiss banker Rudolf Elmer handed two discs to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange at a news conference in London.
WikiLeaks could release the secret Swiss banking records in "a matter of weeks" if it can process them quickly enough, Assange said.
Elmer said he would not reveal the names in the records and said he was unable to say how many people were involved.
He said about 2,000 clients' records were included, but that because of the way trusts and corporations are set up, he could not determine how many individuals were involved.
Elmer describes himself as an activist/reformer/banker.
"I think, as a banker, I do have the right to stand up if something is wrong," he said Monday, explaining why he was giving the documents to the website.
Elmer is due to go on trial Wednesday in Switzerland for violating the country's banking secrecy regulations.
He said he wanted "to let society know what I do know and how this system works because it is damaging our society in the way that money is moved" and hidden in offshore jurisdictions.
He began looking into the issue when he was a banker in the Cayman Islands, he said.
When he first looked into the problems of offshore banking he said it looked like "a mouse tail," but as he investigated in the Cayman Islands and Switzerland, it became a "dragon's tail," and finally a many-headed dragon.
Speaking at the same news conference, lawyer Jack Blum said it was not always possible to determine who, if anyone, had engaged in "criminal tax evasion."
Elmer aims to "challenge Swiss Bank Secrecy at the European Court of Human Rights and the Swiss courts," he says on his website. He has worked at six offshore banking centers, he says.
He has been engaged in a long-running battle with Swiss banks over secrecy, he said.
He said he had approached tax authorities and universities with his data, but that no one was interested. He was about to give up, he said, when he learned about WikiLeaks from a friend.
He said he was "grateful" to WikiLeaks for helping him "send the message which I wanted to send," but that he was not trying to use it for "protection" as he faced prosecution.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/01 ... tml?hpt=T2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:36 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

i was about to post that :thumbsup:

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:44 pm 
Force of Nature

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/magaz ... -t.html?hp

Detailed explanation of NY Times approach to the Wikileaks business. Pretty interesting stuff, especially when touching on the criticisms and complaints regarding their decisions to publish.

"The idea that the mere publication of such a wholesale collection of secrets will make other countries less willing to do business with our diplomats seems to me questionable. Even Defense Secretary Robert Gates called this concern “overwrought.” Foreign governments cooperate with us, he pointed out, not because they necessarily love us, not because they trust us to keep their secrets, but because they need us. It may be that for a time diplomats will choose their words more carefully or circulate their views more narrowly, but WikiLeaks has not repealed the laws of self-interest. A few weeks after we began publishing articles about the embassy cables, David Sanger, our chief Washington correspondent, told me: “At least so far, the evidence that foreign leaders are no longer talking to American diplomats is scarce. I’ve heard about nervous jokes at the beginning of meetings, along the lines of ‘When will I be reading about this conversation?’ But the conversations are happening. . . . American diplomacy has hardly screeched to a halt.” "

Oh, and as far as whether anything substantial came to be from the leaks, Tunisia should stick a fork in that argument.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:57 pm 
Unthought Known

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8296860/WikiLeaks-FBI-hunts-the-911-gang-that-got-away.html

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I cannot believe that wikileaks ignores the fact that 9/11 was an inside jorb.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:31 pm 
AnalLog

this is a bit grandiose, but i guess its still pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:40 pm 
AnalLog

hey, remember these guys, guys?

http://wikileaks.org/syria-files/

Quote:
Today, Thursday 5 July 2012, WikiLeaks began publishing the Syria Files – more than two million emails from Syrian political figures, ministries and associated companies, dating from August 2006 to March 2012.

This extraordinary data set derives from 680 Syria-related entities or domain names, including those of the Ministries of Presidential Affairs, Foreign Affairs, Finance, Information, Transport and Culture.

Over the next two months, ground-breaking stories derived from the files will appear in WikiLeaks (global), Al Akhbar (Lebanon), Al Masry Al Youm (Egypt), ARD (Germany), Associated Press (US), L’Espresso (Italy), Owni (France) and Publico.es (Spain). Other publications will announce themselves closer to their publishing date.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said: "The material is embarrassing to Syria, but it is also embarrassing to Syria’s opponents. It helps us not merely to criticise one group or another, but to understand their interests, actions and thoughts. It is only through understanding this conflict that we can hope to resolve it."

here's live updates as the guardian translates (they're mostly in Arabic & Russian) and reports on the files: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle- ... sfeed=true

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 pm 
On the bright side

Assange was just granted asylum in Ecuador. The British have said they will not allow him safe passage out of the country, though. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Did anything happen overnight? I went to bed and the British had pretty much surrounded the Ecuador embassy in London.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:18 pm 
Coast to Coast

Ecuador is a real shithole.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 pm 
Supersonic

Breaking news: Ecuador seeks to extradite internet poster theplatypus for unveiling top secret information about that country.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:45 pm 
Supersonic

Cuba extends offer for asylum, amid fears that the accusation is just an attempt to try theplatypus for his more than 250,000 sex crimes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:49 pm 
Supersonic

theplatypus reportedly "doing well," optimistic about opportunity to continue sex criming in future.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 am 
On the bright side

AL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 pm 
Supersonic

i now view mcparadigm as my sole competitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:43 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Alex announces his views on mcparadigm: "sole competitor"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate