Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Madtown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:00 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

thodoks wrote:
Alex wrote:
thodoks wrote:
I will let my child associate only with similarly well-adjusted individuals.

Ragnar Danneskjöld and Francisco d'Anconia?

I'm reluctant to search for these words at work.

Alex shrugged

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:02 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

These protests in Madison are probably far larger than those in the entire Arab world combined in terms of raw tonnage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:03 pm 
statistically insignificant

dkfan9 wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Alex wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Alex shrugged

One of the advantages of homeschooling is preventing your child from ever having to encounter Ayn Rand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:04 pm 
Supersonic

thodoks wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Alex wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Alex shrugged

One of the advantages of homeschooling is preventing your child from ever having to encounter Ayn Rand.

well i do declare!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:05 pm 
Supersonic

i like the bart d. style overall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:07 pm 
statistically insignificant

Alex wrote:
thodoks wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Alex wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Alex shrugged

well i do declare!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:09 pm 
Supersonic

thodoks wrote:
Alex wrote:
thodoks wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Alex wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Alex shrugged

well i do declare!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:11 pm 
Spacegirl

bart d. wrote:
These protests in Madison are probably far larger than those in the entire Arab world combined in terms of raw tonnage.

there's the wisconsin fat joke! hahahahahaha.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:04 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Spike wrote:
bart d. wrote:

You're quite a prickly pear today.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:08 pm 
Supersonic

Skitch Patterson wrote:
They're essentially always attempting to guilt taxpayers- WE TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHILDREN.

Give me an example of this.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing in favor or the unions. I find them pretty useless and ineffective. I'm arguing that trying to blame them for any problems in education is like getting blamed by your wife because your eight year old kid shat on the carpet. Everything they fight for is consistently trending in the direct opposite direction. They simply are not much help to teachers, and no threat at all to legislators or districts. They're a neutered and weak system, so I don't see why either side is acting like they affect anything at all.

Quote:
I have a hard time with the teachers debate because it is an important job.. but there's a reason why teachering jobs dont pay more, why half my facebook friends are teachers. There are reasons that good teaching jobs are hard to come by, and people hold on to them for life.

There's also a reason America has been heading towards a teacher shortage, why the average age of teachers is so high, and why more than half of all new teachers leave the profession in less than 5 years. But none of this has to do with unions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:21 pm 
Spacegirl

bart d. wrote:
Spike wrote:
bart d. wrote:

You're quite a prickly pear today.

a low hanging prickly pear, bart d.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:47 pm 
a joke

McParadigm wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
They're essentially always attempting to guilt taxpayers- WE TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHILDREN.

Give me an example of this.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing in favor or the unions. I find them pretty useless and ineffective. I'm arguing that trying to blame them for any problems in education is like getting blamed by your wife because your eight year old kid shat on the carpet. Everything they fight for is consistently trending in the direct opposite direction. They simply are not much help to teachers, and no threat at all to legislators or districts. They're a neutered and weak system, so I don't see why either side is acting like they affect anything at all.

Quote:
I have a hard time with the teachers debate because it is an important job.. but there's a reason why teachering jobs dont pay more, why half my facebook friends are teachers. There are reasons that good teaching jobs are hard to come by, and people hold on to them for life.

There's also a reason America has been heading towards a teacher shortage, why the average age of teachers is so high, and why more than half of all new teachers leave the profession in less than 5 years. But none of this has to do with unions.

It's not here, but you, as a teacher haven't encountered union teachers that take that mindset? Whenever a debate about teacher compensation comes up, they go to the "teaching children is the most important job a person can have..." defense.

Oh, i dont blame them for problems in education. I do blame unions however, for the cuts to other government issues due to the demands. No specific public union seems capable of seeing the big picture. I guess thats true of all (most) unions. So focused on getting what they feel entitled to.

and i think the teacher shortage and the out of the profession in 5 years only has to do with unions indirectly. Most notably the roadblocks in front of them for the best districts, the best classes, the best schools etc by tenured teachers that are union protected regardless of performance. So they stick around for a couple of years, realize they aren't going to do anything but teach the Dangerous minds class for the next ten years for 30K and move on. Thats where I think the teachers union (and all unions) are a problem. It becomes about seniority and tenure a lot more than performance and value.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Skitch Patterson wrote:
Oh, i dont blame them for problems in education. I do blame unions however, for the cuts to other government issues due to the demands. No specific public union seems capable of seeing the big picture. I guess thats true of all (most) unions. So focused on getting what they feel entitled to.

Isn't that same thing true of pretty much every person? Of course, unions generally have more power than any one worker and therefore can actualize their demands more easily, but wanting to maximize income/benefits, without regard for the "bigger picture," is essentially true of anyone. Now, pundits and politicians and members of the general public might be chastised for not recognizing that aspect of union action, but I find it hard to criticize unions for acting as anyone else might act.

Last edited by dkfan9 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:06 pm 
a joke

dkfan9 wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

Isn't that same thing true of pretty much every person? Of course, unions generally have more power than any one worker and therefore can actualize their demands more easily, but wanting to maximize income/benefits, without regard for the "bigger picture," is essentially true of anyone. Now, pundits and politicians and members of the general public might be chastised for not recognizing that aspect of their action, but I find it hard to criticize unions for acting as anyone else might act.

Yeah, but they have the power to do it to unreasonable levels. A single person can get their pay cut when the company starts to falter... and they can either go work somewhere else, or accept the pay cut, or hours change. Unions however have, over many years, have started to feel entitled. PAY PART OF OUR PREMIUM FOR HEALTH CARE? PREPOSTEROUS!!! And because of the binding arbitration, and lack of good faith collective bargaining (as opposed to the "this way or no way" type that tends to exist with public workers) they are able to hold districts, cities, states, etc hostage regardless of the budget situation being encountered.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:24 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Skitch Patterson wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

Isn't that same thing true of pretty much every person? Of course, unions generally have more power than any one worker and therefore can actualize their demands more easily, but wanting to maximize income/benefits, without regard for the "bigger picture," is essentially true of anyone. Now, pundits and politicians and members of the general public might be chastised for not recognizing that aspect of their action, but I find it hard to criticize unions for acting as anyone else might act.

Yeah, but they have the power to do it to unreasonable levels. A single person can get their pay cut when the company starts to falter... and they can either go work somewhere else, or accept the pay cut, or hours change. Unions however have, over many years, have started to feel entitled. PAY PART OF OUR PREMIUM FOR HEALTH CARE? PREPOSTEROUS!!! And because of the binding arbitration, and lack of good faith collective bargaining (as opposed to the "this way or no way" type that tends to exist with public workers) they are able to hold districts, cities, states, etc hostage regardless of the budget situation being encountered.

The soft landing solution to the problem as presented here is either stuctural: to weaken the unions (either by getting rid of them/stripping bargaining rights or by getting rid of binding arbitration and making other changes), or social/psychological: to change how they conceive of their self-interest (ie convincing them to keep in mind the "greater good") or to convince them that the state just can't afford higher wages no matter what they want. Then there's the hard landing method: big layoffs.

I don't think you're going to see much of the social/psychologyical change without big layoffs. On the other hand, I think structural changes are possible, provided they don't include entirely eliminating union rights.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:45 pm 
a joke

dkfan9 wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

The soft landing solution to the problem as presented here is either stuctural: to weaken the unions (either by getting rid of them/stripping bargaining rights or by getting rid of binding arbitration and making other changes), or social/psychological: to change how they conceive of their self-interest (ie convincing them to keep in mind the "greater good") or to convince them that the state just can't afford higher wages no matter what they want. Then there's the hard landing method: big layoffs.

I don't think you're going to see much of the social/psychologyical change without big layoffs. On the other hand, I think structural changes are possible, provided they don't include entirely eliminating union rights.[/quote

It took bankruptcy and government loans to convince the UAW that GM and Chrysler to "convince" them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:08 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

skitch wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

I don't think you're going to see much of the social/psychologyical change without big layoffs. On the other hand, I think structural changes are possible, provided they don't include entirely eliminating union rights.

It took bankruptcy and government loans to convince the UAW that GM and Chrysler to "convince" them.

That was my point: only huge layoffs (or, I guess, government insolvency) will cause a change in thinking. Changing the structure (the laws regarding negotiations between unions and govt) can bring changes without causing the pain probably required to change how the union thinks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:20 am 
Supersonic

Skitch Patterson wrote:
It's not here, but you, as a teacher haven't encountered union teachers that take that mindset? Whenever a debate about teacher compensation comes up, they go to the "teaching children is the most important job a person can have..." defense.

The union members I know, and I will freely grant to having worked as a teacher in only two states, only count on the organization for legal support. Ours did successfully defend our medical coverage last year (which isn't as good as the coverage my father gives his high school educated alarm installers, for the record) at the cost of a two thousand dollar pay cut. Like I said, the union is irrelevant to me, because it never achieves anything. This WI thing is a fight between the wind and fog.

Quote:
Oh, i dont blame them for problems in education. So focused on getting what they feel entitled to.

I wasn't talking about you at all. I was talking about the presentation of this little food fight on television and in print. The union has almost no power to prevent any reform or decision the state makes. This is a smoke campaign, aimed at a target I don't see, and the union has willingly cast itself as mirror.

Quote:
and i think the teacher shortage and the out of the profession in 5 years only has to do with unions indirectly. Most notably the roadblocks in front of them for the best districts, the best classes, the best schools etc by tenured teachers that are union protected regardless of performance. So they stick around for a couple of years, realize they aren't going to do anything but teach the Dangerous minds class for the next ten years for 30K and move on.

Regardless of movie portrayals and how they make it look, if you can't teach the Dangerous Minds crowd you aren't capable enough to be in ANY classroom. I do absolutely agree that tenure should be eliminated, forever. But you won't get rid of many bad teachers in affluent areas that way, if you base it on test scores.

Last edited by McParadigm on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:22 am 
a joke

McParadigm wrote:
Regardless of movie portrayals and how they make it look, if you can't teach the Dangerous Minds crowd you aren't capable enough to be in ANY classroom. I do absolutely agree that tenure should be eliminated, forever. But you won't get rid of many bad teachers in affluent areas that way, if you base it on test scores.

Well I can buy that Coolio may have overstated things, i refuse to believe that Jake Taylor would mislead me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:24 am 
Supersonic

YOU HAVE BEEN LIED TO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate