Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holy shit, they caught Whitey Bulger.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:09 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Electromatic wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The FBI has been hunting around the globe for this dude since 1995. Since 1996 he's lived in this same apartment building in Santa Monica:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/06/ ... 31774.html

How the fuck are there rent controlled apartments a block from the Santa Monica pier? Holy shit, one of the worst people in the world lived a ridiculously nice retirement on not that much money.

I know, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:11 pm 
Reissued

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The FBI has been hunting around the globe for this dude since 1995. Since 1996 he's lived in this same apartment building in Santa Monica:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/06/ ... 31774.html

How the fuck are there rent controlled apartments a block from the Santa Monica pier? Holy shit, one of the worst people in the world lived a ridiculously nice retirement on not that much money.

I know, right?

Hey, he was nice to the staff there, thank you very much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:39 pm 
a joke

I had some friends that knew him from some radio events, and they are pretty upset by all this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:59 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

People don't say it as publicly as they did a decade ago, but there are still a lot of people, especially South Boston Irish Catholics, who think of this guy as a folk hero. He used to give thousands of dollars to parish priests and told them stuff like "make sure every family has a turkey on the table and every kid has a gift under the tree this Christmas". He had a "good guy" persona with the drug dealing because, despite making a shit ton of money off the cocaine trade he strictly forbade heroin from being sold on in that part of Boston. But let's not forget, if you crossed him he'd duct tape you to a chair, torture you for 8 hours, put a bullet in your head, and bury you under the Southeast Expressway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:08 am 
Unthought Known

The departed taught us thats its called Southie. Why are news reports not respecting this tradition?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:09 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

I never actually saw that movie. I keep meaning to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:18 am 
Administrator

simple schoolboy wrote:
The departed taught us thats its called Southie. Why are news reports not respecting this tradition?
I first learned that from Good Will Hunting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:55 am 
Spacegirl

Green Habit wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
I first learned that from Good Will Hunting.

i learned that from the town.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:08 pm 
Got Some

cutuphalfdead wrote:
People don't say it as publicly as they did a decade ago, but there are still a lot of people, especially South Boston Irish Catholics, who think of this guy as a folk hero. He used to give thousands of dollars to parish priests and told them stuff like "make sure every family has a turkey on the table and every kid has a gift under the tree this Christmas". He had a "good guy" persona with the drug dealing because, despite making a shit ton of money off the cocaine trade he strictly forbade heroin from being sold on in that part of Boston. But let's not forget, if you crossed him he'd duct tape you to a chair, torture you for 8 hours, put a bullet in your head, and bury you under the Southeast Expressway.

:shake:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:18 pm 
AnalLog

MattA751 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

i shake my head at "8 hours" too... no stamina.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:30 pm 
Got Some

EllisEamos wrote:
MattA751 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I was actually shaking my head at the Southeast Expressway...everyone knows he buried his victims in the Quincy Quarries

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:12 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

MattA751 wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
MattA751 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I was actually shaking my head at the Southeast Expressway...everyone knows he buried his victims in the Quincy Quarries

And across from Florian Hall near Neponset Circle...and at the beach by the Dorchester Yacht Club...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:39 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

So the big hullabaloo now is that he's probably going to be represented by a public defender., and a lot of people here are pissed by it. I understand that taxpayers don't want to see their money going to help someone who is a vicious mob boss, but some of the outcry is getting ridiculous. I mean, we can't have it both ways. The fed seized all his cash for obvious reasons, so how can the dude pay for representation? If people want to see justice done they're going to have to bite the bullet on this one.

At work we do daily poll questions for the listeners and today's is "Does White Bulger deserve public representation?" It doesn't really sit well with me that people would think someone DOESN'T deserve representation. No matter what you're accused of, making sure everyone gets representation is kind of crucial to making sure the system works.

Last edited by cutuphalfdead on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:53 pm 
Coast to Coast

cutuphalfdead wrote:
there money

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:00 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

theplatypus wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
there money

:x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:05 pm 
Administrator

cutuphalfdead wrote:
So the big hullabaloo now is that he's probably going to be represented by a public defender., and a lot of people here are pissed by it. I understand that taxpayers don't want to see there money going to help someone who is a vicious mob boss, but some of the outcry is getting ridiculous. I mean, we can't have it both ways. The fed seized all his cash for obvious reasons, so how can the dude pay for representation? If people want to see justice done they're going to have to bite the bullet on this one.

At work we do daily poll questions for the listeners and today's is "Does White Bulger deserve public representation?" It doesn't really sit well with me that people would think someone DOESN'T deserve representation. No matter what you're accused of you, making sure everyone gets representation is kind of crucial to making sure the system works.
People seem way too susceptible to the trap of "I support the constitutional rights we have, except for this one douchebag that doesn't deserve it". A good example of that was the recent WBC case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:07 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Green Habit wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
So the big hullabaloo now is that he's probably going to be represented by a public defender., and a lot of people here are pissed by it. I understand that taxpayers don't want to see there money going to help someone who is a vicious mob boss, but some of the outcry is getting ridiculous. I mean, we can't have it both ways. The fed seized all his cash for obvious reasons, so how can the dude pay for representation? If people want to see justice done they're going to have to bite the bullet on this one.

At work we do daily poll questions for the listeners and today's is "Does White Bulger deserve public representation?" It doesn't really sit well with me that people would think someone DOESN'T deserve representation. No matter what you're accused of you, making sure everyone gets representation is kind of crucial to making sure the system works.
People seem way too susceptible to the trap of "I support the constitutional rights we have, except for this one douchebag that doesn't deserve it". A good example of that was the recent WBC case.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:48 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Apparently he came back to Boston while on the run, armed to the teeth.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/ ... ml?ana=twt

Quote:
Fugitive mobster James "Whitey" Bulger told FBI agents shortly after his arrest last week that he visited Boston several times while on the lam "to take care of some unfinished business," prosecutors wrote in a brief filed in U.S. District Court Monday.

"While in custody and en route to Boston, defendant Bulger waived his Miranda rights and admitted that he had been a frequent traveler as a fugitive. Bulger acknowledged visiting Las Vegas on numerous occasions to play the slots and claimed he won more than he lost," the document states.

"Bulger also admitted traveling to San Diego and then crossing over into Tijuana to purchase medicines." it continues. "Moreover, according to FBI Supervisory Special Agent Richard Teahan, Bulger admitted traveling (in disguise) to Boston on several occasions while “armed to the teeth” because he “had to take care of some unfinished business.”

"Bulger refused to elaborate on whom he visited, when exactly he visited, and who was with him on these trips to Boston," the government lawyers wrote.

The statements are included in a filing in which lawyers in the U.S. attorney's office say they have not reached a deal with defense lawyers as to whether taxpayers will fund Bulger's defense.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:02 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Federal prosecutors drop 1994 case that led James ‘Whitey’ Bulger to flee; still faces murder charges

Boston.com wrote:
Federal prosecutors today dropped the racketeering indictment against James “Whitey’’ Bulger that prompted him to flee Boston -- so they can focus on a 1999 indictment that includes charges that he participated in 19 murders.

According to a three-page pleading filed in US District Court today, US Attorney Carmen Ortiz has decided to push ahead with the case that would send Bulger to prison for the rest of his life if he is convicted of even one of the murders.

“The RICO murder case not only carries higher penalties, but is stronger both factually and legally than” the 1994 charges that allege Bulger was collecting “rent’’ from bookmakers in the Boston area, Ortiz wrote in the filing.

She also wrote that “a jury finding on any single act of murder, if coupled with a finding on one additional predicate act of racketeering, will subject the defendant to a sentence of incarceration for the remainder of his natural life.’’

The decision by Ortiz leaves unanswered the question of who will decide whether the 81-year-old Bulger qualifies for a court-appointed attorney.

Chief US District Court Judge Mark L. Wolf has set a hearing for 2 p.m. today.

However, Ortiz’s filing means prosecutors have dropped the 1994 indictment that has been assigned to Wolf; the 1999 charges are being handled by US District Court Judge Richard Stearns.

Bulger was added as a defendant to a 1994 case in 1995. Shortly before the charges were made public in January 1995, he fled after being tipped off by a corrupt FBI agent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:00 pm 
Fuck Sharks

cutuphalfdead wrote:

If I am a poor family in Boston, and this guy put food on my table and toys under my Xmas tree, I'm gonna be a big fan, too...

It's all in the perspective.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate