Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Define American (Immigration & DREAM Act)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:15 pm 
Supersonic

Skitch Patterson wrote:
uglyduckling wrote:
That's my exact problem with the whole issue. The laws are unjust. Beyond the DREAM Act, there is a very real immigration issue, and it's much easier to bury our heads in the sand about it. Let's face it, most people who are participating in this thread are never going to be challenged or burdened by these laws. So coming along and saying, "too bad, that's the law, they broke it, they now have to pay the consequences" is the easy way to handle it.

Laws don't change unless they are challenged. Illegal immigrants have no legal ground to challenge the law. Most American have no interest in challenging it, because it doesn't impact them. So what now?

now that is moral high ground.

Its just as easy to come along and say "That really sucks that the law is so crappy, too bad they had to break it, I hope they dont have to pay the consequences".

By saying that the laws are unjust (which I think most in this thread agree on), and that the American people (largely unaffected) are too lazy to truly voice an opinion about the issue in an attempt to change the law equates to moral high ground? I don't see it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:21 pm 
a joke

uglyduckling wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
uglyduckling wrote:
That's my exact problem with the whole issue. The laws are unjust. Beyond the DREAM Act, there is a very real immigration issue, and it's much easier to bury our heads in the sand about it. Let's face it, most people who are participating in this thread are never going to be challenged or burdened by these laws. So coming along and saying, "too bad, that's the law, they broke it, they now have to pay the consequences" is the easy way to handle it.

Laws don't change unless they are challenged. Illegal immigrants have no legal ground to challenge the law. Most American have no interest in challenging it, because it doesn't impact them. So what now?

now that is moral high ground.

Its just as easy to come along and say "That really sucks that the law is so crappy, too bad they had to break it, I hope they dont have to pay the consequences".

By saying that the laws are unjust (which I think most in this thread agree on), and that the American people (largely unaffected) are too lazy to truly voice an opinion about the issue in an attempt to change the law equates to moral high ground? I don't see it.

I wasn't serious.
i just wanted to use italics, and you had the most recent post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:22 pm 
Supersonic

mray10 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
I think I agree with you more than I disagree within this thread, by the way. It just seems pointless to inject both race and sex into the debate when nationality is what's really in focus.

Yeah, I totally agreed with the point he was making, it just didn't need to be about white males, it should have just been about Americans. I have never been able to get myself worked up about illegal immigration. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to have been born in Mexico.

What really bothers me about immigration laws is that I feel they are largely driven by our problem controlling the US/Mexico border. States that are deeply impacted (California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas) tend to have a negative view of immigration. It feels like we're 'punishing' immigrants from other countries who on the whole are far less problematic because we can't get a handle on the Mexico situation.

It feels like there are two stances on the issue: anti-immigration (typical of those areas bordering Mexico, especially), or you're indifferent. It shits me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:29 pm 
Reissued

Skitch Patterson wrote:
Mickey wrote:
The fact that you don't understand how these are two completely different approaches to the debate speaks volumes. Moral? When did I ever say that my approach was moral? I used the phrase "unjust" and talked about justice, neither of which carries any implication of morality. Justice depends on government; morality is a metaphysical idea. I don't understand how I could possibly be taking the moral high road by arguing that a law is unjust and that the author is not wrong. I'm arguing, essentially, for moral equality.

You didn't. Chud did. I agree with your statement above 100%. Just like i cant understand that saying "following the law" is taking moral high ground like I was accused of.

That's fine, we're in agreement then. I do tend to argue against one, disembodied, dissenting voice, so you've gotten swept up with the things Mecca has said as well and I apologize if I've accused you of something unfairly. As far as taking the moral high-ground, a phrase I didn't use since I prefer the image of a horse made of lawbooks, it comes with any declaration that an action is wrong or immoral in a situation in which one has never been in--hypothetically claiming you would have been "better." It applies a little more to Mecca's posts than yours, as he actually said this, but I don't think it's far-fetched to claim that your statements--to the effect that Vargas should be prepared for the consequences--does carry the implication that you, as someone who is prepared for the consequences, would have behaved more correctly. Whether you intended this or not isn't necessarily an issue, since most people don't consciously think, "Shit, I haven't ridden my moral high-horse in a while, better go check the stable." This is, also, very different from stating that someone's opinion is wrong. While the latter might carry elements of morality (e.g. Beef is a better and more moral person because she thinks x, y, and z thoughts), it's not moral high-horsing because having a different opinion is a situation in which one can be (unlike being an illegal immigrant).

Quote:
Mickey wrote:
On the other hand, we have you over here saying that his actions were wrong, which inherently implies that you would perform differently, that you are right, and that you are thus more moral than Vargas. That's the goddamned definition of moral high-road. That's the high-horsing. But okay, you're right. You're better because you didn't break the law. Pat yourself on the back, white store manager. You are right because you would hypothetically do the "right thing" in a situation you know goddamn well you'll never, ever be in.
I dont think I said "wrong," and if i did, i didn't mean it. The guy did what he had to do, and ive acknowledged that. I just said i dont feel sympathy for his whole "living my life in fear" tone. He was aware of what he was doing, and made the choices he made. I am sympathetic to the fact he had to make those tough decisions, but ultimately he made the choice he made.

I can agree with this in part--the tone of the article was perhaps a bit dramatic. But you should remember that, in writing this article, he's trying to affect a change. He might not actually have been living in fear every day, and he might not want you to feel sorry for him, but the text wants and believes those things because they pull on the public's heartstrings, which hopefully leads to policy change. I do think it's a little unfair to say "he made the choice he made" because, truly, he had very few options, as I've pointed out before.

Quote:
Mickey wrote:
As far as this being easy, sure, it's easy for me to have a point-of-view on this without doing anything about it. Except that having a forward-thinking, engaged point-of-view is precisely what you should be doing about an unjust law. The next step is voicing that point-of-view. Oh, look--did that too. What, you want me to march on goddamned Congress? I've emailed my senator before about immigration. I've emailed about gay rights. I'm not in public policy, I'm not in government, so voicing my opinion to the people who are is exactly the right thing to do, regardless of how easy it is. You know what's easy? Sitting around saying, "Man, it sucks that our laws unfairly punish people brought into this country of someone else's accord. Oh well, shouldn'ta broken the law, playa. Now I'll go order some more beer and browse the internet, just like God intended."

Nope. Not at all. Just pointing out that taking the affirmative on an internet debate is no easier, no harder then taking the negative, in response to all the "It sure is easy for an employed 'has it made' white american to say that" responses. How is your opinion as a white, male american any more difficult to hold than my opinion? Having opinions, as you stated is easy... and all opinions are equally easy to have.

Because my opinion, and this is going to sound ridiculous, but bear with me, my opinion active and engaged rather than dismissive, and that's a point I will not budge on. Yes, having an opinion isn't necessarily a hard thing to do, but there's a marked difference between having an opinion that is contrary to the status quo and dismissing an issue because of the letter of the law. And I don't mean to crucify myself here as a martyr for immigration reform, because in truth, there's plenty of possible, dissenting opinions you could hold here that would be just as active and engaged with the issue and wouldn't be easy. I don't think we'd be having this specific debate if your dissenting opinion had something to do with increased crime rates or taxpayer burden because of immigration policy--it's the fact that you're content to let the letter of the law, which you admit is unjust, solve the situation that makes yours an easy opinion to hold. You don't even have to read the article to hold that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:37 pm 
Reissued

uglyduckling wrote:
mray10 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
I think I agree with you more than I disagree within this thread, by the way. It just seems pointless to inject both race and sex into the debate when nationality is what's really in focus.

Yeah, I totally agreed with the point he was making, it just didn't need to be about white males, it should have just been about Americans. I have never been able to get myself worked up about illegal immigration. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to have been born in Mexico.

What really bothers me about immigration laws is that I feel they are largely driven by our problem controlling the US/Mexico border. States that are deeply impacted (California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas) tend to have a negative view of immigration. It feels like we're 'punishing' immigrants from other countries who on the whole are far less problematic because we can't get a handle on the Mexico situation.

It feels like there are two stances on the issue: anti-immigration (typical of those areas bordering Mexico, especially), or you're indifferent. It shits me.

I think it's also hard because it's in-progress and it's very invisible. It's easy to be indifferent because, on a day-to-day level, immigration isn't an issue, especially outside of the US-Mexico border. I would bet Skitch doesn't even think of immigration most days. I live in Florida and I don't think about it most days. So it's easy to assume it's not a problem. Then, when it becomes a problem or becomes apparent as a problem, it's already at work. It's not like we can sit around and say, "Hey, shit, someone just crossed the border illegally, we need to stop this right now." There are hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants already in America, doing exactly what Americans do--being diverse. Some are in gangs and are driving up crime rates. Some are working mothers who provide good loving families. Some are successful and engaged members of communities. And some just entered the country today, having heard stories about how easy it is to enter the country illegally and knowing that the citizenship process is very complicated and discriminatory, which makes it very, very difficult to legislate anything about illegal immigrants, and even more difficult since these people have no legal recourse. This is why I think the DREAM act is so important--it's a step toward making the citizenship process more manageable. Until becoming a citizen is easy or easier (to the extent that it's worth it to go the legal route) for the average foreign national, there's not going to be an end to the immigration issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:39 pm 
a joke

Mickey wrote:
Because my opinion, and this is going to sound ridiculous, but bear with me, my opinion active and engaged rather than dismissive, and that's a point I will not budge on. Yes, having an opinion isn't necessarily a hard thing to do, but there's a marked difference between having an opinion that is contrary to the status quo and dismissing an issue because of the letter of the law. And I don't mean to crucify myself here as a martyr for immigration reform, because in truth, there's plenty of possible, dissenting opinions you could hold here that would be just as active and engaged with the issue and wouldn't be easy. I don't think we'd be having this specific debate if your dissenting opinion had something to do with increased crime rates or taxpayer burden because of immigration policy--it's the fact that you're content to let the letter of the law, which you admit is unjust, solve the situation that makes yours an easy opinion to hold. You don't even have to read the article to hold that one.

I don't disagree, and I do follow you. But I will throw in this caveat, given your audience on the RM community, isn't your opinion the popular side of the debate? I actually agree that the immigration laws are shit, and never once said I agree with the status quo on this issue. In fact, I dont think i have even really stated that much on the total issue of immigration as an overall problem- and in the first post i made in the thread, i think I said that my point had nothing to do with immigration as a whole. Instead this author rubs me the wrong way. I do not, under any circumstances regardless of the crimes/laws/punishments/etc feel sympathy for someone who knows they are breaking the rules being held accountable for the consequences they were already well aware of. By all means do what you need to do, but if you are aware of the consequences, dont start complaining about them once they apply to you. I have not once recommended, condoned, or wished for any action to be taken against this man- I just said I dont like him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:42 pm 
a joke

Mickey wrote:
I would bet Skitch doesn't even think of immigration most days.

I deal with, and think of, immigration nearly every day. I work in Ann Arbor, which has a very heavy asian population. In most cases, It is younger, recent college graduates who have moved their parents (and other family members) over here after graduation from UM. The parents and family members remain in the asian area of Ann Arbor. Many of them do not learn english. Many of them are on state assistance, despite the fact their families can afford to take care of them. The legal ones will house multiple illegals as well. All of whom shop where I work, and the surrounding businesses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:44 pm 
Reissued

Skitch Patterson wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I deal with, and think of, immigration nearly every day. I work in Ann Arbor, which has a very heavy asian population. In most cases, It is younger, recent college graduates who have moved their parents (and other family members) over here after graduation from UM. The parents and family members remain in the asian area of Ann Arbor. Many of them do not learn english. Many of them are on state assistance, despite the fact their families can afford to take care of them. The legal ones will house multiple illegals as well. All of whom shop where I work, and the surrounding businesses.

I do not bet often, for these reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:50 pm 
a joke

Mickey wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I do not bet often, for these reasons.

Couple that with the nearby Arab population, and the fact that Michigan is also a border state, and It is usually a decent point of debate up here. Its not ALL mexicans.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:17 pm 
Administrator

uglyduckling wrote:

It is possible to challenge a law as unjust and still accept the consequences for challenging it. That's exactly what I've advocated in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 pm 
a joke

Green Habit wrote:
uglyduckling wrote:

It is possible to challenge a law as unjust and still accept the consequences for challenging it. That's exactly what I've advocated in this thread.

GETOFFYOURMORALHIGHHORSELEGALBEAGLEHIPPIELOVER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:51 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Clearly this fellow should have had his coyote take him to within a hundred yards or so of the beach in Florida, let him swim to the shore and then let it be assumed he was Cuban. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:06 pm 
a joke

4/5 wrote:
Clearly this fellow should have had his coyote take him to within a hundred yards or so of the beach in Florida, let him swim to the shore and then let it be assumed he was Cuban. Problem solved.

There are clearly better ways for the Marlins to acquire a 2nd Basemen, 4/5s.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:21 pm 
Unthought Known

Skitch Patterson wrote:
4/5 wrote:

There are clearly better ways for the Marlins to acquire a 2nd Basemen, 4/5s.

Not really, I think this is how the Braves got Escobar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:35 pm 
Got Some

uglyduckling wrote:
mray10 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

I'm not indifferent, but I live in Arizona and as you point out this is a place where it is something you think about on a daily basis. I guess I didn't express what I meant correctly in saying i don't get worked up about illegal immigration. It is a topic I can feel passionately about. I just tend to be on the accepting/DREAM act side of things. As you might guess that's not common here in Phoenix, where it's just sort of taken for granted that illegal immigration is the second most evil thing in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:00 am 
Pralines and Dick

Quote:
How to Be a Patriot: Hire an Illegal Immigrant
10 July 2011 | Charles Kenny

For a country of immigrants, the U.S. remains vexed about how to deal with the fact that people from elsewhere still want to come here. Two successive Presidents have now been stymied in their attempts to pass comprehensive immigration reform. The latest foray is the DREAM Act, a narrow but important piece of the immigration reform puzzle that would, at a minimum, give the children of undocumented immigrants a path to citizenship. The bill failed in the Senate last December, despite the Obama Administration's support. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid reintroduced the act in May, but the prospects for passing any meaningful legislation before the 2012 election are slim.

In the meantime, the millions of illegal immigrants already here must continue to live and work in the shadows, one false move away from arrest and deportation. Indeed, legislation in states such as Alabama and Georgia is moving toward treating not just illegal immigrants, but also those who employ them, as criminals. And yet if forced to do without illegal labor, vast sectors of the U.S. economy, from agriculture to construction, would founder—not to mention the putting greens infested by crab grass and the children who would run riot without care. Even the U.S. Chamber of Commerce supports legalizing undocumented workers who are "already contributing to our economy," provided they don't otherwise run afoul of the law.

What makes the political impasse over immigration particularly frustrating is that hiring an illegal alien is good for the illegal alien, good for the U.S. economy, and good for the country he or she comes from. So what's not to like? In cases like this, there is only one moral course available for true patriots: Go find an illegal to hire. Huge numbers of people in border states are doing precisely that.

There are about 11 million people living illegally in the U.S., according to the Pew Hispanic Center. By most estimates, the overall net economic impact of this illegal immigration on Americans is pretty small. Consider, for instance, the common argument that illegal immigrants are a drain on public services. A comparatively conservative analysis by Gordon Hanson at the National Bureau of Economic Research suggests that illegal immigrants contribute about 0.03 percent of U.S. gross domestic product. If the net cost of government services to immigrants is included, their overall economic impact amounts to -0.07 percent, or roughly $10 billion—"essentially a wash," Hanson concludes.

But don't immigrants take jobs from and depress the wages of unskilled, native-born workers? Actually, immigrants tend to leave when there are fewer jobs available—that's one reason why migration to the U.S. from Mexico is at an all-time low at the moment. As economists Gianmarco Ottaviano and Giovanni Peri argued in a paper in 2006 for the NBER, the impact of total immigration on the wages of unskilled, native-born workers was less than 2 percent, or roughly $8 per week. In a 2010 paper, Ottaviano, Peri, and Greg Wright looked across U.S. industries and found that the net effect of immigration has been to create more jobs for native workers—including low-skilled workers. That's in part because many immigrants take jobs that would otherwise be sent abroad.

In a separate study, Peri analyzed cross-state evidence and found no proof that immigrants crowd out native, unskilled employment—and considerable evidence that they increase productivity. Each 1 percent increase in employment due to immigrants is associated with a half-percent rise in state income per worker between 1960 and 2006. Immigrants provide services efficiently and are themselves a source of demand for local goods and services. Unskilled immigrants take on manual tasks such as construction, while unskilled natives move into communications tasks such as call centers. This is an efficient division of labor that increases overall productivity.

There's no question the U.S. can do more to improve the life chances of citizens at the bottom of the economic ladder. But Congress could better accomplish that through approaches such as expanding the earned income tax credit, or more generous and flexible payments to replace food stamps, than by rooting out illegal immigrants and sending them home. In the end, it makes almost no economic difference to low-income Americans whether or not business owners and households decide to hire illegal aliens.

And what of the material improvement in the lives of illegal immigrants themselves? Most illegal aliens have made a considerable effort to get across the border—traveling long distances, paying human smugglers, avoiding border guards and Homeland Security Dept. agents. They make the effort for a reason. Hanson, of the NBER, estimates that illegal unskilled workers from Mexico in the U.S. earn 250 percent of what they would earn legally at home. That adds up to $170 billion in additional wages—a considerable proportion of which is remitted back to families in Mexico itself. Not surprisingly, economists such as Hanson conclude that illegal immigration is a strong net positive for global prosperity.

The scale of that impact is enormous. Michael Clemens at the Center for Global Development has calculated that four out of five Haitians worldwide who are living on more than $10 a day are living in the U.S., not Haiti. The most plausible way to get to a decent income if you are Haitian—not an income that allows a big house or a taste for expensive wines, but one equivalent to three Happy Meals a day—is to move to the U.S. Lant Pritchett of Harvard University has calculated that if rich countries increased the size of their labor force by just 3 percent through increased migration, this would add $300 billion to the welfare of citizens of poor countries. Immigration is by far the most powerful tool at our disposal for making the global poor better off.

So at this point it's surely worth asking: How much do we value the negligible-to-nonexistent threat to the livelihoods of a few U.S. citizens against the immense, life-transforming benefits to people born on the wrong side of our borders, people who move here without waiting on an immigration process that pretty much won't let them in legally unless they are already privileged by considerable education and experience? (Even for foreigners with a high school education and a skilled occupation, the chances of getting a visa through the lottery process are 1 in 242.)

The macroeconomic argument in favor of employing immigrants, even those without papers, is unassailable. But what about the problem that, absent reform, it's breaking the law to do so? When a law itself prohibits doing the right thing, when it is immoral rather than just annoying or inconvenient, and when breaking that law does no great harm to any others, it is justifiable for people of conscience to choose to break that law. That is close to where we find ourselves with immigration legislation. It limits freedom of movement by immigrants and freedom of choice by employees. It does no good, but it causes considerable suffering. Current U.S. immigration laws have all the moral standing of pass laws in apartheid South Africa.

The moral course of ignoring immigration legislation is being widely followed already, particularly in some of the states that are, on their surface, the most anti-immigrant. For example, a Texas immigration law introduced this year would make hiring an illegal alien subject to a fine or two years in jail. But it explicitly excludes home help and gardeners, because, its backers admit, they'd have to lock up much of the state if they didn't.

Given the fact that native-born Americans keep having fewer kids and keep aging, they're going to need some more people around to tend the farms, businesses, golf courses, and rest homes. The cynic would say that's what the good people of Texas have already realized. But perhaps they are doing the right thing because it is, well, the right thing. Perhaps the mass disregard of immigration laws in the state makes Texans the rightful heirs of a civil disobedience movement outlined in Martin Luther King Jr.'s "Letter from Birmingham Jail." If so, in the spirit of American exceptionalism, let us praise the rank yet noble hypocrisy of the border states.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/how-to-be-a-patriot-hire-an-illegal-immigrant-07072011.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:54 am 
Administrator

Beth, I want to say that one of our very first political discussions on this board had to do with immigration--and it was quite an agreeable discussion. More or less a pretty good article.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:18 am 
Pralines and Dick

Green Habit wrote:
Beth, I want to say that one of our very first political discussions on this board had to do with immigration--and it was quite an agreeable discussion. More or less a pretty good article.

I just wish the world at large could discuss the issue without dissolving into the politics of fear. It seems that America and Australia have that inability in common.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:18 pm 
Administrator

Beef wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

I just wish the world at large could discuss the issue without dissolving into the politics of fear. It seems that America and Australia have that inability in common.
I think the whole world might share it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:32 pm 
Supersonic

Jose Antonio Vargas Driver's License Canceled By Washington State

SEATTLE -- Washington state has canceled the driver's license of a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who publicly said he is an illegal immigrant.

Officials opened an investigation after Jose Antonio Vargas' essay about his background was published in the New York Times Magazine in June, Department of Licensing spokeswoman Christine Anthony said Thursday.

Vargas wrote in the essay that he obtained a driver's license in Washington earlier this year after his Oregon license expired.

"We conducted in an investigation and concluded that he wasn't residing at the address he provided us," Anthony said.

The Licensing Department sent Vargas a letter requesting proof of residency, and the letter was returned. The state canceled his license July 18.

In his essay, Vargas wrote about worrying that his Oregon license would expire when he turned 30.

"Early this year, just two weeks before my 30th birthday, I won a small reprieve: I obtained a driver's license in the state of Washington. The license is valid until 2016. This offered me five more years of acceptable identification – but also five more years of fear, of lying to people I respect and institutions that trusted me, of running away from who I am," Vargas wrote.

Because Vargas didn't surrender his license, he will still have a card that he presumably can still use to board an airplane or obtain other services that require ID. But if authorities run a background check, for example if Vargas gets pulled over while driving, it will show that the license is not valid, Anthony said.

The Seattle Times first reported the Licensing Department's action Thursday.

Vargas wrote in his essay that he emigrated from the Philippines in 1993 when he was 12 years old at the wish of his mother. He moved to California, where his grandparents had arranged forged documents for him. When he was 16, Vargas wrote, he found out that he was in the country illegally after he tried to obtain a driver's permit with those documents.

Vargas was part of the Washington Post team that won the Pulitzer Prize in 2008 for coverage of the Virginia Tech massacre. He had also interned for The San Francisco Chronicle and the Philadelphia Daily News, and most recently was a senior contributing editor at Huffington Post.

His coming out as an illegal immigrant attracted national attention and put a spotlight on what his former employers knew of his legal status. A Washington Post spokesman called Vargas' actions "wrong."

But he wrote that he's tired of hiding his secret and has launched a campaign called Define American to use stories of immigrants like him to urge Congress and the Obama administration to pursue immigration reform. His high school principal and superintendent have signed on as board members.

Email messages to Vargas and his representatives were not immediately returned. But in a blog post on his campaign's website, Vargas said he learned Wednesday that his license had been revoked and said it was a reminder of the "collective struggle" immigrants like him face.

"It's not unexpected, given how I laid out in detail how I've been able to live, work and survive as an undocumented immigrant in our country," he said. "Still, it's a sad feeling. In some ways, my driver's license has been my life line."

He continued, "However, I believe it is a small price to pay relative to the big things we're going to do, together."

Washington and New Mexico are the two states that don't require driver's license applicants to furnish a Social Security number.

Washington's Department of Licensing said last week that fewer out-of-state people who didn't provide a Social Security number have sought to obtain a driver's license in the state. The recent data suggest stricter rules Washington implemented in the past year are deterring illegal immigrants from getting licenses.

The new rules no longer allow cellphone or cable bills as proof of residency, but the state still accepts identification from other countries among the documents required in lieu of a Social Security number.

The department's data show that in the first half of 2011, 5,346 people didn't provide a Social Security number when obtaining a license. In all of 2010, more than 23,000 did not.

Other data show that the department has canceled 372 licenses due to fraud in 2011. A total of 717 were canceled in 2010.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate