Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: London's burning
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:10 am 
alot of $$$

great thread.

that's all i got.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:50 am 
In a van down by the river

Electromatic wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
kpj wrote:

Sometimes, vigilante justice is pretty awesome.

That is freaking awesome. Also, why break the glass at budget rent a car? what's he going to steal? Maps of the area? Free coffee?

I like this hit almost as much as Ray Lewis on Dustin Keller last year.

In fact, London needs Ray Lewis for this kind of justice

one man killing spree, just give him a knife

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:36 am 
Unthought Known

Peeps wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
kpj wrote:

That is freaking awesome. Also, why break the glass at budget rent a car? what's he going to steal? Maps of the area? Free coffee?

no no, those were his "associates" that did the killing. I believe Ray stripped naked and went home.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:31 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Electromatic wrote:
Peeps wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
kpj wrote:

no no, those were his "associates" that did the killing. I believe Ray stripped naked and went home.

It's been confirmed this gif is not from London, or anywhere in the UK but from Vancouver riots.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:46 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Angus wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Peeps wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
kpj wrote:

It's been confirmed this gif is not from London, or anywhere in the UK but from Vancouver riots.

ALL I CAN SAY IS THATS PROBABLY WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED WITHOUT THE NFL SEASON

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:26 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

BDB wrote:
if the police would use tear gas or at least actually do somethinng except stand there and watch the looters this thing would have ended 3 days ago.
Watching the footage I am amazed at how passive the police are after day 3 of this bullshit.

I wonder if it's because no one wants to get the 'police brutality' label. It's like they were waiting for the priminister to give them permission to use force.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:46 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Where's riot dog when we need him?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:31 pm 
Unthought Known

Quote:
For a vegetarian, Rents, you're a fuckin' EVIL shot!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:20 pm 
Unthought Known

London police say nearly 600 charged over riots

Britain's Prime Minister David Cameron, right, visits a looted Liddell supermarket in Salford, England, Friday, Aug. 12, 2011. (AP / Jon Super)

CTV News.ca Staff

Nearly 600 people have now been charged in relation to violent and destructive riots in London over the weekend and earlier this week, with police and courts working overtime to nab suspects.

More than 1,700 people have been arrested across England in cities including London, Birmingham and Manchester, with courts working through the night to process all the suspects.

Police have also opened a murder investigation in the death of a man who was badly beaten by a mob earlier in the week.

On Tuesday, 16,000 police officers were deployed on the streets of the capital -- almost three times the number of the night before. The measure appeared to bring a level of calm to the city after three nights of chaos that police seemed unable, or unwilling, to stop.

On Thursday police began raiding the homes of riot suspects.

CTV's London Bureau Chief Tom Kennedy said the increased police efforts appear to be working.

"Here in London there have been 16,000 police in the capital for three nights now, and it has been very effective," Kennedy told Canada AM.

"The government has said this very large police operation is going to stay in effect over the weekend."

Doug Saunders, of The Globe and Mail, said the riots appeared to have crested but residents and police were not taking any chances, and were bracing for a possible second wave of riots.

"People are worried for the weekend when things could get going again, when people are out on the streets again and alcohol is involved and so on," Saunders said.

Meanwhile, London Mayor Boris Johnson said it was appropriate that "significant sentences" were being delved out.

"That is, frankly, what Londoners want to see," he said.

Murder probe

In a new development on Friday, detectives said they had opened a murder inquiry into the death of Richard Mannington Bowes, a 68-year-old man who died Friday morning.

Mannington Bowes was attacked Monday by a gang of rioters after he tried to prevent a building from being burned in the western London suburb of Ealing.

A 22-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder, based on footage from CCTV cameras.

"It's an absolutely heartbreaking story of a good Samaritan dying for his efforts," Saunders said.

Three other men were killed in Birmingham when they were run down by a car as they fought to defend their neighbourhood. Three suspects are being questioned as part of the murder investigation.

And a 26-year-old man was killed Monday night during the riots in London, shot to death while inside his car.

Cameron talks tough

Meanwhile, Prime Minister David Cameron recalled MPs for an emergency session of parliament on Thursday -- the first time since 2002.

Cameron warned rioters and looters they would face harsh consequences for their actions, and said the state would do whatever was necessary to stop the chaos -- possibly even limiting social networking sites being used by rioters to organize.

Cameron also said families living in social housing could be evicted if members are found to have participated in the riots.

"We needed a fightback and a fightback is under way," Cameron said in the televised statement outside his Downing Street office. He said "nothing is off the table" -- including water cannons, which have never been deployed against civilians in mainland Britain.

The number of Metropolitan Police patrolling the capital's streets was expected to remain high through the weekend in the hopes of preventing further disturbances.

With files from The Associated Press

Quote:
For a vegetarian, Rents, you're a fuckin' EVIL shot!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:37 pm 
Got Some

Data journalist Matt Stiles has taken our data on deprivation - and the riot incidents over the last few days and mashed the two up together. The darker reds represent poorer places, the blues are the richer areas. What do you think? Is there a correlation between the two?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... ots-mapped

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:23 pm 
a joke

corky wrote:
Data journalist Matt Stiles has taken our data on deprivation - and the riot incidents over the last few days and mashed the two up together. The darker reds represent poorer places, the blues are the richer areas. What do you think? Is there a correlation between the two?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... ots-mapped

This is why poor people can't have nice things.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:36 pm 
Unthought Known

Couldn't the cops have just beaten the crap out of the rioters instead of taking videos and photos of them?

With no NHS medical care for injuries sustained from this beating, of course. Especially the ones trying to damage a hospital. Fucking idiots.

People are calling for offenders from the riots to be stripped of their benefits.

What benefits? The overwhelming majority of the cunts are kids, not adults, who wouldn't qualify for benefits!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:32 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

that motherfucker who steals the poor boy should die

seriously, i would feel so glad if he just died

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:45 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

e has actually been apprehended and is awaiting charge. the forts are sitting all weekend but his call will get a fucking lot of coverage the scumbag.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:20 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

good to know

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:31 am 
Unthought Known

thank god this sort of thing could never happen here in the good ole US of A.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:26 am 
Unthought Known

Skitch Patterson wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Hallucination wrote:
The irony is that the police have actually been made the good guys by some of these tossers!

Generally speaking, the police are usually the good guys.

wish that were true here. 4 people have been killed by police here in the last few years and they've never served a day prison time. this shit wouldnt happen here. our cops would love to get at these scumbags.

4 people in a few years doesn't make the police the bad guys. That makes THOSE police bad guys- assuming they were not justified.

The police aren't necessarily worse than the general public - they just get off way easier. Any similar set of circumstances for a private citizen, can you imagine what the sentence would have been?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_Grant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:56 am 
a joke

simple schoolboy wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Hallucination wrote:
The irony is that the police have actually been made the good guys by some of these tossers!

Generally speaking, the police are usually the good guys.

wish that were true here. 4 people have been killed by police here in the last few years and they've never served a day prison time. this shit wouldnt happen here. our cops would love to get at these scumbags.

4 people in a few years doesn't make the police the bad guys. That makes THOSE police bad guys- assuming they were not justified.

The police aren't necessarily worse than the general public - they just get off way easier. Any similar set of circumstances for a private citizen, can you imagine what the sentence would have been?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_Grant

Unless the majority of the Police officers in the entire nation were involved in that one incident, I fail to see how it matters. In General, the police are the good guys. Criminals are bad guys. Just because there are some Bad cops, does not change that dynamic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:02 pm 
Unthought Known

p911gt10c wrote:

Cameron warned rioters and looters they would face harsh consequences for their actions, and said the state would do whatever was necessary to stop the chaos -- possibly even limiting social networking sites being used by rioters to organize.

No Facebook or Twitter? That will teach 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:28 pm 
Unthought Known

This is not about a 'few bad apples' this is about pretty widespread covering up or downplaying of police misconduct (when it happens). All I want is a more equal playing field, where if a cop does something aggregious, they have to face a similar penalty to those who they are supposedly protecting. (which, coincidentaly, they are not obligated to do) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate