Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Presidential Election
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:02 pm 
Unthought Known

my interest in this farce just fell off a cliff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:25 pm 
Administrator

bmacsmith wrote:
It took this long for it to happen to you?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:36 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
It took this long for it to happen to you?

i dared to believe, just for a moment, that the republicans had moved away from this christian fundamentalist bullshit enough to present a decent alternative to Obama, who is as much of a failed president as Bush. It was all just a pack of lies!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:40 pm 
Supersonic

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
I find it utterly remarkable that over 30,000 Republicans would actually vote for Santorum.

Iowan Republicans are not representative of your average Republican.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:15 pm 
alot of $$$

AlbertBrooks Albert Brooks
Romney won by 8 votes. That's a third of Bachmann's children.
11 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:55 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
If theres is anything to really be taken from the Iowa Caucus it's that we should go ahead and congratulate Barack Obama on his 2nd term.

This is going to go EXACTLY like mid term W Bush
I was thinking more like mid-term Clinton. It's actually quite amazing on how Obama's first term has closely mimicked Clinton's. For Obama's sake, he won't want the second term to similar.

except he intervened in libya instead of allowing a massacre, unlike clinton and srebenica.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:39 pm 
Unthought Known

dkfan9 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
If theres is anything to really be taken from the Iowa Caucus it's that we should go ahead and congratulate Barack Obama on his 2nd term.

I was thinking more like mid-term Clinton. It's actually quite amazing on how Obama's first term has closely mimicked Clinton's. For Obama's sake, he won't want the second term to similar.

except he intervened in libya instead of allowing a massacre, unlike clinton and srebenica.

also Rwanda, did intervene in Somalia though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:08 pm 
Got Some

Is it too late for this bloke to run??

Any ballot paper that has the word Minge, and a tick box next to it is going to be voted in. A least he will in the UK....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:39 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Electromatic wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

also Rwanda, did intervene in Somalia though.

yep, rwanda too. i was just using the srebenica parallel because it was thrown around a bit when qaddafi's forces were on the edge of benghazi. it is lucky obama didn't have a somalia esque event though. if he had, he might not have seen it as politically feasible to intervene in libya.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 pm 
Unthought Known

Mitt the Ripper:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/405930/january-15-2012/colbert-super-pac-ad---attack-in-b-minor-for-strings

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:50 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Newt Gingrich: I would ignore supreme court as president
Republican presidential candidate would order military to defy judges' ruling extending legal rights to terror suspects
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ja ... NETTXT9038

Newt Gingrich has pledged that on his first day as president he will set up a constitutional showdown by ordering the military to defy a supreme court ruling extending some legal rights to foreign terrorism suspects and captured enemy combatants in US custody.

The Republican contender told a forum of anti-abortion activists ahead of South Carolina's primary election that as president he would ignore supreme court rulings he regards as legally flawed. He implied that would also extend to the 1973 decision, Roe vs Wade, legalising abortion.

"If the court makes a fundamentally wrong decision, the president can in fact ignore it," said Gingrich to cheers.

The Republican contender, who has made no secret of his disdain for the judiciary, said that as president he would expect to have repeated showdowns with the supreme court. He said the court would lose because it is the least powerful and least accountable arm of government.

Gingrich said the first confrontation would be over its historic ruling, known as the Boumediene decision, that foreign terrorism suspects held at Guantánamo Bay have the right to challenge their detention in US courts.

"I fully expect as president that there will be several occasions when we will collide. The first one, which is actually foreign policy, the Boumediene decision which extends American legal rights to enemy combatants on the battlefield is such an outrageous extension of the court in to the commander in chief's role.

"I will issue an instruction on the opening day, first day I'm sworn in, I will issue an executive order to the national security apparatus that it will not enforce Boumediene and it will regard it as null and void because it is an absurd extension of the supreme court in to the commander in chief's (authority)."

Gingrich has said before that he regards the president as above the court when the two branches have fundamentally differing views but he went further in committing himself to setting up a constitutional crisis on his first day in office.

The Republican candidate cited what he said were precedents, including Abraham Lincoln's refusal to accept the Dred Scott decision denying that former slaves were citizens.

Gingrich's interpretations have previously been met with disdain. President George W Bush's attorney general, Michael Mukasey, has said that a president selectively ignoring supreme court decisions would turn the US in to a banana republic.

At the same election forum, Rick Perry, the Texas governor, did not go so far as Gingrich but he did say that as president he would seek to pack the supreme court with judges who would overturn the ruling legalising abortion.

"When we have a president that appoints two or three more supreme court justices - that's what the next president of the United States is liable to do - those from my perspective should be individuals who are strict constructionists who look at the constitution and interpret it in a way that our founding fathers wrote it," he said. "Therefore Roe vs Wade would be overturned."

While that comment was less contentious than Gingrich's approach, Perry created his own ripple of controversy by once again speaking ill of a foreign country.

"Think about 35,000 children every day are aborted in China. That country is destined for the ash heap of history unless it changes its values," he said.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:51 pm 
Unthought Known

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about Newt, Dime.

A lot of these guys spout a lot of nonsense to specific interest groups anyway they are simply trying to cull a few votes.

Nothing that shocking to the staus quo will really ever happen after an American election

Every politician we have without exception is full of shit, it's part of the occupation, to what degree largely depends on the individual.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:18 pm 
Unthought Known

dimejinky99 wrote:

"Think about 35,000 children every day are aborted in China. That country is destined for the ash heap of history unless it changes its values," he said.

lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:19 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

This is just the historian in Newt coming out. Oh, how I long for the days of Andrew Jackson.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:22 pm 
Administrator

Electromatic wrote:

A lot of these guys spout a lot of nonsense to specific interest groups anyway they are simply trying to cull a few votes.

Nothing that shocking to the staus quo will really ever happen after an American election

Every politician we have without exception is full of shit, it's part of the occupation, to what degree largely depends on the individual.
Normally I'd agree with this, but Newt has gone so far as to write white papers about how much he hates the judiciary:

http://www.newt.org/sites/newt.org/files/Courts.pdf

If I have time later and people tl;dr that PDF, I'll pull out some real gems in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:02 pm 
Got Some

Green Habit wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Normally I'd agree with this, but Newt has gone so far as to write white papers about how much he hates the judiciary:

If I have time later and people tl;dr that PDF, I'll pull out some real gems in there.

i agree that most candidates have no chance to or even want to push their 'radical' pre-election agenda, but if there is one man who would die trying, it's newt gingrich.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

He may absolutely despise the judiciary especially since he spent so much time in the legislature, but both parties would see fit to impeach him if he did anything stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:05 pm 
Got Some

I'm going to make a bold prediction here on January 28, about 9 months from election day. President Obama will win a second term.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:05 pm 
Unthought Known

Ilium wrote:
I'm going to make a bold prediction here on January 28, about 9 months from election day. President Obama will win a second term.

I believe the same. It would be more ballsy if you predicted Gingrich would found a colony on the moon by 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:21 pm 
Unthought Known

Electromatic wrote:
...Gingrich would found a colony on the moon by 2015.

Gently, my soul weeps for my nation.

In all seriousness guys, where can I move that people are sane? Melbourne? Auckland? Vienna? Santiago? Vancouver?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 41  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate