Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: It's a shame there's no Kony/Invisible Children thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:08 pm 
AnalLog

Rebar wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Oh... I see... when Kony use child soldiers it's bad, but when Palestine does it...

Yeah, it's irritating that all the middle-aged moms on Facebook had nothing better to do than to make this popular. You said Palestine, and you could insert just about any central-African country, and many middle-eastern terrorist groups in there as well. But if it isn't the cool thing in social networking, I guess it's not important.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:24 pm 
Unthought Known

liking facebook causes is literally the least you can do.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:27 pm 
Reissued

Rebar wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Oh... I see... when Kony use child soldiers it's bad, but when Palestine does it...

Yeah, it's irritating that all the middle-aged moms on Facebook had nothing better to do than to make this popular. You said Palestine, and you could insert just about any central-African country, and many middle-eastern terrorist groups in there as well. But if it isn't the cool thing in social networking, I guess it's not important.

From my understanding, it's worse than that: the Ugandan military--you know, the group IC wants the US to send military aid to--has been using child soldiers as well. But, you know, Toms shoes, white man's burden, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 am 
Reissued

Really no surprise here:

Quote:
KONY 2012 Director Detained, Org. Tied to Antigay Groups
By Michelle Garcia

It's been discovered that Jason Russell, the director of the viral video on Ugandan war lord Joseph Kony, may have connections to rightwing antigay organizations. But that's not his only problem — he was detained Thursday by San Diego police for masturbating in public.

Russell, 33, is the founder of Invisible Children, a nonprofit organization that produces films to educate people on global issues such as environmentalism and human rights. He was arrested Thursday after allegedly vandalizing several cars and masturbating in the streets while possibly being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, police told NBC San Diego.

Lt. Andra Brown said, "Due to the nature of the detention, he was not arrested. During the evaluation, we learned we probably needed to take him to a medical facility because of statements he was saying."

Russell's business partner, Invisible Children CEO Ben Keesey, said Russell has been under an immense amount of stress since the release ofKony 2012.

"Jason Russell was unfortunately hospitalized yesterday suffering from exhaustion, dehydration, and malnutrition," he said in a statement Thursday. "He is now receiving medical care and is focused on getting better. The past two weeks have taken a severe emotional toll on all of us, Jason especially, and that toll manifested itself in an unfortunate incident yesterday."

For & Against with Jim Morrison, a news magazine on Here TV (a network that's part of Here Media, which owns The Advocate), reviewed the documentary, pointing out Invisible Children's ties to antigay organizations, such as the National Christian Foundation. The NCF describes itself as "the largest Christian grant-making foundation in the world." Truth Wins Out reports that the organization has disbursed grants to some of the most antigay groups in the country, including Focus on the Family and the Family Research Council.

Ironically, NCF, which donated $135,000 in 2009 to Invisible Children, also helps fund the Fellowship Foundation, which works in conjunction with the fundamentalist shadow organization known as “The Family.” That outfit has largely pushed Christian Ugandan lawmakers to propose a "kill the gays" bill, which would make homosexuality punishable by death.

Invisible Children's tax records also show several churches, private religious schools, and religious organizations like Legacy of a Christian Vision, and the antigay, antiabortion Malachai Foundation. Other donors include several public schools, secular organizations, and liberal individual donors, as well as celebrities like Oprah Winfrey and NFL player Jamal Williams.

Russell was also an invited guest of Liberty University, a staunchly Christian college, where he told students about how to use "extremely low-key, or stealth evangelism," Alternet reports.

Morrison also points out that while the film does shed light to an issue that many people around the world are unaware of, the film is an incomplete look at the egregious human rights violations that have occurred in Uganda and across Africa. Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni, Morrison says, is equally to blame for the deaths of thousands, as well as forcing children to become soldiers.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News ... ay_Groups/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:38 am 
Spambot

So pretty much any Christian organization is a fundamentalist anti-gay organization? Nuance my man, nuance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:39 am 
statistically insignificant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 am 
Reissued

Panzerfaustboy wrote:
So pretty much any Christian organization is a fundamentalist anti-gay organization? Nuance my man, nuance.

Article's definitely biased, but the basic facts--that the people supporting this sort of White-Man's-Burden project also support bigoted anti-gay efforts--shouldn't come as a shock.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:46 am 
Unthought Known

Mickey wrote:
Really no surprise here:

Quote:

Ironically, NCF, which donated $135,000 in 2009 to Invisible Children, also helps fund the Fellowship Foundation, which along with the Rand corporation and in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires, works in conjunction with the fundamentalist shadow organization known as “The Family.” That outfit has largely pushed Christian Ugandan lawmakers to propose a "kill the gays" bill, which would make homosexuality punishable by death.

Fixed that missing info in the article.

Now if only they could somehow have blamed Jews.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:04 pm 
Unthought Known

Robert Mugabe is jealous of this thread.

Aparently if you want people to know anything, put it on You Tube.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:11 pm 
Unthought Known

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-march-12-2012/my-little-kony---youth-activism

previous URL was wrong.... this is the right one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:49 am 
Banned from the Pit

In November of 2010, the sneaker community was turned upside down by the release of the "South Beach" Nike LeBron 8, a pastel colorway that paid tribute to LeBron's Miami arrival and the city's famous Art-deco architecture. Since then, any shoe remotely following the same motif has been bestowed with a "South Beach"cheap jordans,calvin klein underwear,air jordan dress shoes,dr dre studio headphones,monster beat headphones,monster studio headphones http://www.wearfoot.com nickname, but have failed to yield the same success. Perhaps best suited to live up to the lofty expectations that come with the nickname is this upcoming LeBron 9 Elite colorway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:42 pm 
On the bright side

So, is the sneaker community using these invisible children for labor? I'm missing your point here, spambot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:00 pm 
AnalLog

Rebar wrote:
So, is the sneaker community using these invisible children for labor? I'm missing your point here, spambot.
that's why the guy was running around naked.

double-protests, so hot right now, double-protests.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:32 pm 
Unthought Known

lenting wrote:
Since then, any shoe remotely following the same motif has been bestowed with a "South Beach"cheap jordans,calvin klein underwear,air jordan dress shoes,dr dre studio headphones,monster beat headphones,monster studio headphones http://www.wearfoot.com nickname, but have failed to yield the same success.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:05 pm 
Reissued

There's a new video. Cue slacktivism.

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate