Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chick-Fil-A Supports Anti Gay Marriage
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:01 pm 
Got Some

Rocky Estoppel wrote:
I think people are missing the point. It's not that Chick-fil-a is anti-gay or Christian or have different viewpoints.

It's that they are using money, their profits, to donate to anti-gay organizations AND that they said they would fire employees that “have been sinful or done something harmful to their family members.”

I had no idea that my money would go to organizations that I vehemently oppose when I eat a chicken sandwich. That is the problem. You can have all the crazy beliefs you want. If it's just a business and you're just trying to make money, fine, be crazy in your beliefs. But when you donate to hateful organizations and will fire your employees for being "sinful," then I won't let my money be a part of that - you have now gone from being just a business to a political organization. I refuse to be a part of that.

Like it or not, if you eat at Chick-fil-a, just know that you are supporting anti-gay organizations. That's a fact. If you're fine with that, enjoy their chicken. I'm not OK with that.

mmm, tasty tasty chicken!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:25 am 
Unthought Known

Clearly this is the single most important issue of our time and requires the full attention of all chicken eating Americans.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:46 am 
On the bright side

This is what irritates the shit out of me about how we take stuff to the extreme. We grasp on to an idea and it snowballs. I'm all for gay rights, don't get me wrong. But why are all of you people who are boycotting a fast food restaurant not also boycotting Wal-Mart, Urban Outfitters, Exxon, etc. that also have executives that have come out against gay rights/marriage?

It just bothers me that if you are so into a cause, why focus on one business and not all businesses that have the same stance?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:01 pm 
Coast to Coast

Rebar wrote:
This is what irritates the shit out of me about how we take stuff to the extreme. We grasp on to an idea and it snowballs. I'm all for gay rights, don't get me wrong. But why are all of you people who are boycotting a fast food restaurant not also boycotting Wal-Mart, Urban Outfitters, Exxon, etc. that also have executives that have come out against gay rights/marriage?

It just bothers me that if you are so into a cause, why focus on one business and not all businesses that have the same stance?

Have those other companies contributed financially to organizations dedicated to suppressing gay rights?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:23 pm 
On the bright side

Quote:
Last year, Urban Outfitters faced outrage when it was revealed that president and founder Richard Hayne had donated $13,150 to famously homophobic presidential candidate Rick Santorum’s campaign.

Quote:
Wal Mart went under fire last fall for its association with the Charity Giveback Group, formerly called the Christian Values Network, which allows a cut money gained through e commerce to go to anti-gay religious organizations. Meanwhile, Jim Walton, the youngest son of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton, donated $75,000 to the Family Council Action Committee’s 2008 campaign to prevent gay couples from adopting in the state of Arkansas.

While Exxon didn't contribute money to organizations, their policies leave something to be desired:

Quote:
“is the only U.S. employer that has ever rescinded both a non-discrimination policy covering sexual orientation and domestic partner benefits, and is the only Fortune 10 company that does not have a non-discrimination policy covering sexual orientation.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 pm 
Unthought Known

yesterday Facebook was pretty hilarious. My religious nutjob family posting pics of people lined up for hours to eat at Chik-Fil-A and my gay friends posting about eating at McDonald's. Humanity at its finest, for sure. What the fuck are we doing?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:04 pm 
Coast to Coast

Rebar wrote:
Quote:
Last year, Urban Outfitters faced outrage when it was revealed that president and founder Richard Hayne had donated $13,150 to famously homophobic presidential candidate Rick Santorum’s campaign.

Quote:
Wal Mart went under fire last fall for its association with the Charity Giveback Group, formerly called the Christian Values Network, which allows a cut money gained through e commerce to go to anti-gay religious organizations. Meanwhile, Jim Walton, the youngest son of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton, donated $75,000 to the Family Council Action Committee’s 2008 campaign to prevent gay couples from adopting in the state of Arkansas.

While Exxon didn't contribute money to organizations, their policies leave something to be desired:

Quote:
“is the only U.S. employer that has ever rescinded both a non-discrimination policy covering sexual orientation and domestic partner benefits, and is the only Fortune 10 company that does not have a non-discrimination policy covering sexual orientation.”

Is there a difference between individuals supporting those organizations, and an entire corporation?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:20 pm 
AnalLog

bmacsmith wrote:
yesterday Facebook was pretty hilarious. My religious nutjob family posting pics of people lined up for hours to eat at Chik-Fil-A and my gay friends posting about eating at McDonald's. Humanity at its finest, for sure. What the fuck are we doing?
i wonder how many of these people have truly read The Good Book.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:47 pm 
Unthought Known

bmacsmith wrote:

Changing the world, one bumper sticker at a time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:02 pm 
Unthought Known

theplatypus wrote:
Rebar wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is there a difference between individuals supporting those organizations, and an entire corporation?

I think there is. If individual at a corporation donate, that's their prerogative. I don't think corporations should be involved in politically charged organization. Also, corporations can throw around $100k like it was nothing (Exxon, Wal-Mart, etc...). Most individuals don't have that kind of money. I also think corporations need to tone it down with political elections too. It seems like Congress is controlled by corporations and powerful lobby firms, not the people who elect them (I guess that's a different topic though).

At the end of the day, I just think everyone should have access to the same rights / benefits. If the right wingers want to define marriage as one man, one woman, fine. Then allow for civil unions with the same benefits for gays and non believers.

I don't know if I'll always boycott CFA, but for the most part I will. I also don't shop at Wal-Mart, and I try not to get gas from Exxon. Gas is a whole different can of worms with all that dirty money.

I guess pretty much every business I deal with is involved in some shady shit. Maybe I just like to be ignorant about it? I'd probably never want to buy anything if I knew what all these companies were really up to. I really don't trust any corporation or gov't agency that much...the Feds, the Oil industry, the Food industry, Pro Sports, and pretty much every other industry is shady. But what can be done about it? You can't boycott everything. Knowing that, it makes absolutely zero difference if I buy a stupid chicken sandwich or not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:29 pm 
Supersonic

but what does parchy think

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:46 pm 
Coast to Coast

darth_vedder wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Rebar wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think there is. If individual at a corporation donate, that's their prerogative. I don't think corporations should be involved in politically charged organization. Also, corporations can throw around $100k like it was nothing (Exxon, Wal-Mart, etc...). Most individuals don't have that kind of money. I also think corporations need to tone it down with political elections too. It seems like Congress is controlled by corporations and powerful lobby firms, not the people who elect them (I guess that's a different topic though).

At the end of the day, I just think everyone should have access to the same rights / benefits. If the right wingers want to define marriage as one man, one woman, fine. Then allow for civil unions with the same benefits for gays and non believers.

I don't know if I'll always boycott CFA, but for the most part I will. I also don't shop at Wal-Mart, and I try not to get gas from Exxon. Gas is a whole different can of worms with all that dirty money.

I guess pretty much every business I deal with is involved in some shady shit. Maybe I just like to be ignorant about it? I'd probably never want to buy anything if I knew what all these companies were really up to. I really don't trust any corporation or gov't agency that much...the Feds, the Oil industry, the Food industry, Pro Sports, and pretty much every other industry is shady. But what can be done about it? You can't boycott everything. Knowing that, it makes absolutely zero difference if I buy a stupid chicken sandwich or not.

What I meant was, from the quotes Rebar posted, it looked like it was individuals associated with those companies who supported those organizations. Chik-Fil-A, on the other hand, as an institution, seems to support anti-gay organizations and contribute from their profits. It's not that Chik-Fil-A's founder and CEO opposes gay marriage, it's that the company itself is donating money to organizations that contribute to its suppression. Seems like a substantial difference to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:49 pm 
Administrator

Rebar wrote:

Willy Wonka agrees.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:32 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
i wonder how many of these people have truly read The Good Book.

If people actually read it, there would be far fewer christians.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:49 pm 
Force of Nature

theplatypus wrote:

What I meant was, from the quotes Rebar posted, it looked like it was individuals associated with those companies who supported those organizations. Chik-Fil-A, on the other hand, as an institution, seems to support anti-gay organizations and contribute from their profits. It's not that Chik-Fil-A's founder and CEO opposes gay marriage, it's that the company itself is donating money to organizations that contribute to its suppression. Seems like a substantial difference to me.

Bingo. And I wish the media coverage would stress this point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:25 pm 
Fuck Sharks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:24 pm 
Supersonic

I don't know why we're protesting Chik-Fil-A. They didn't build that. Someone else built it for them, go talk to them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:38 pm 
AnalLog

LittleWing wrote:
I don't know why we're protesting Chik-Fil-A. They didn't build that. Someone else built it for them, go talk to them.
wait, you're actually buying into the outrage over that statement?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:41 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
LittleWing wrote:

Yeah, we had this discussion weeks ago.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:46 pm 
AnalLog

LittleWing wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
LittleWing wrote:

Yeah, we had this discussion weeks ago.
and i remember us agreeing that taxes are necessary to pay for things that we all benefit from. we don't agree on how big that swath of "things we all benefit from" extends, but we all agree on the general premise of this concept of shared responsibility.

i don't remember your response to my equating privatized roads to the failures/manipulations encountered during the robber-baron privatized railways.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate