Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm pretty sure there is no god
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:51 pm 
The Snowboy

Thanks man. I'll do something with them but they're not there yet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:11 am 
AnalLog

My two cents: I am pretty certain that at a minimum the Christian god doesn't exist, and if he does, I want absolutely no part of him. I was raised as a Christian and I believe that it ultimately leads to either being blissfully ignorant or being deeply unhappy for most of its followers, which is fine if you're into that sort of thing. I went through a lot of internal struggle with god and religion and I am much happier as an atheist.

And since I'm a "catch flies with honey" type of person I'll explain why I am happier and the benefits I see to a godless worldview. First, it's made me realize how incredible science and nature are. At some point in our history a human being first came to realize it had awareness, and this is a much more incredible story to me than Adam & Eve. We live on a floating rock in the middle of a void, kept alive by a giant mass of thermonuclear explosions, and we are at the top of a food chain of millions of various organisms that work together in order to make up everything around us. That's incredible! Much more so than the Bible's version of things, at least.

Also as a godless person I have the burden and responsibility of making my own choices. I have to be conscious of the fact that everything I do within my own sphere of influence is because of me. I am responsible for my own happiness, my own self-actualization. I get to choose whom I associate with, whom I love, whom I hate. There is no "lord willing" or "god works in myserious ways." There are only the choices made by myself and everyone else. This may seem really simple but I've realized very few people actually live like this. My mom, for example, is a self-made woman who put herself through college and has climbed from crappy entry-level jobs to having a very good position and being well-respected in her field. But she never credits herself and says that it was all "god's plan." Well frankly, that's bullshit.

I could go one forever about how my life has become happier and more fulfilling since forgetting about god. It's really been incredible.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:32 pm 
Administrator

Orpheus wrote:
My two cents: I am pretty certain that at a minimum the Christian god doesn't exist, and if he does, I want absolutely no part of him. I was raised as a Christian and I believe that it ultimately leads to either being blissfully ignorant or being deeply unhappy for most of its followers, which is fine if you're into that sort of thing. I went through a lot of internal struggle with god and religion and I am much happier as an atheist.

And since I'm a "catch flies with honey" type of person I'll explain why I am happier and the benefits I see to a godless worldview. First, it's made me realize how incredible science and nature are. At some point in our history a human being first came to realize it had awareness, and this is a much more incredible story to me than Adam & Eve. We live on a floating rock in the middle of a void, kept alive by a giant mass of thermonuclear explosions, and we are at the top of a food chain of millions of various organisms that work together in order to make up everything around us. That's incredible! Much more so than the Bible's version of things, at least.

Also as a godless person I have the burden and responsibility of making my own choices. I have to be conscious of the fact that everything I do within my own sphere of influence is because of me. I am responsible for my own happiness, my own self-actualization. I get to choose whom I associate with, whom I love, whom I hate. There is no "lord willing" or "god works in myserious ways." There are only the choices made by myself and everyone else. This may seem really simple but I've realized very few people actually live like this. My mom, for example, is a self-made woman who put herself through college and has climbed from crappy entry-level jobs to having a very good position and being well-respected in her field. But she never credits herself and says that it was all "god's plan." Well frankly, that's bullshit.

I could go one forever about how my life has become happier and more fulfilling since forgetting about god. It's really been incredible.
This was a good post to read, Nate. I've been an atheist my whole life and I've never felt any void in not believing in a supernatural power, and I know I'd feel uncomfortable if I was put in a situation to try and believe in one. Just thought you'd might appreciate hearing that perspective.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:38 pm 
Coast to Coast

You know, "Godless" implies an absence, a void, or a less-ness. I prefer to think of myself as God-free.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 am 
AnalLog

I see it as being a good absence, but I can see what you mean. "God-free" probably is a little better.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:43 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
You know, "Godless" implies an absence, a void, or a less-ness. I prefer to think of myself as God-free.

My friend, Gilbert, feels this way. We call him Gilbert Godfree.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:47 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

dscans wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

God damnit, scans.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Orpheus wrote:

Thank you for this. I'm in very much the same boat with a similar history, but it's taken me much longer to be at peace with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:57 pm 
Got Some

diaglo wrote:
Thank you for this. I'm in very much the same boat with a similar history, but it's taken me much longer to be at peace with it.

Do you really want to be at peace with it? I'll always be skeptical of everything.
I'm at peace with not being at peace. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:
dscans wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

God damnit, scans.

blank damnit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:07 am 
Unthought Known

cutuphalfdead wrote:
dscans wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

God damnit, scans.

win

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:36 pm 
Got Some

Green Habit wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

This was a good post to read, Nate. I've been an atheist my whole life and I've never felt any void in not believing in a supernatural power, and I know I'd feel uncomfortable if I was put in a situation to try and believe in one. Just thought you'd might appreciate hearing that perspective.

I am like Green habit. I have never been religious, nor are my parents. I had a brief time in my teenage years when I became interested in religion, but it never turned into more than a curiosity and the more I learned about religion and Western conceptions of god, the less I wanted to do with them. I feel very comfortable with that world view.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

theplatypus wrote:

This.

When you're "god-free," is seems that you can really focus on life - as it is. You take responsibility for your own actions and the consequences as well as rewards. Nate's post sums up my thoughts as well. His mom really should give herself most of the credit, even though I'm sure she's experienced instances of unexplained mysticism and that would give her the "proof" to attribute her success to external things.

The curious thing about Buddhism, is that it says just that; we are all "god." "God" (whatever that is) is found within ourselves. Society. All of us together, pushing and shoving each other - or cooperating and being cohesive. For me personally, "god" has been facing my fear of failure or rejection and tapping into the resources available to dig myself out of a terrible time in my life and 'clean up' the aftermath so that the same old obstacles are no longer in my path; both emotional and financial.

I have found peace within the ups and downs of life. The struggles I face are now seen by me as more of a challenge; a puzzle that I can figure out. The work involved in figuring out any given puzzle is where I'm finding the god within; personal power, compassion, love, trust, health, and confidence. There's also anger, hate, jealousy, self-pity etc. *shrugs* Learning to control those types of emotions (or accept them and then channel them more positively) so that they work for my benefit and the benefit of others is also "god."

Imagine that if you are able to never make anyone angry, always be respectful of others and never hurt them while also having the ability to never allow someone to hurt you, or being able to look past your anger with someone or something, or not taking someone's disrespect towards you as an indication of your self-worth but rather an opportunity to grow throughout the experience? That's what "god" is.

There really is no perfect "God." That's why there are so many of them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:52 pm 
The Snowboy

The problem with statements like 'When you're God-free, you can take responsibility for yourself' is that they imagine that all Christians just sit on their asses waiting for God to change their diaper. Some of them do, but not everyone and probably not most. The American Religious Right has an awful lot to answer for. Sometimes I wish I could resurrect Kierkegaard.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 pm 
Supersonic

Harmless wrote:
Sometimes I wish I could resurrect Kierkegaard.

Religious person: There is a God.
Nonreligious person: There is no God.
Harmless: I wish I were God.
Alec Baldwin: I am God.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:20 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Harmless wrote:
The problem with statements like 'When you're God-free, you can take responsibility for yourself' is that they imagine that all Christians just sit on their asses waiting for God to change their diaper. Some of them do, but not everyone and probably not most. The American Religious Right has an awful lot to answer for. Sometimes I wish I could resurrect Kierkegaard.

Because only Kierkegaard can save us?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:38 pm 
Supersonic

px: There is no Kierkegaard.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:39 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:40 pm 
Supersonic

Every now and again, I wish I'd said that more often while I still had the chance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:40 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Such is life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate