Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm pretty sure there is no god
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:35 pm 
Spacegirl

good, i don't trust men who don't drink.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:07 pm 
Reissued

It was all a farce to begin with. also im david glass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:21 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
tyler wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Working together and critically discussing our beliefs need not be mutually exclusive. In fact, if we don't do both, we essentially doom humanity to an ugly end.
That's quite the declaration. Humanity has done alright to date without much critical discussion of beliefs. What has changed that makes it a requirement to avoid an ugly end?

The fact that we're in an ugly present because there isn't a critical discussion of beliefs? I wouldn't say 'Humanity has done alright' in the slightest.
Time to refill your glass my friend. Life has never been better for humanity. Quality of life and length of life are only getting better. I'm interested in learning why you think it's an ugly present and what you're comparing that to. There's lots to be improved but overall I'd say humanity has never been better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:29 pm 
The Snowboy

tyler wrote:
Harmless wrote:
tyler wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Working together and critically discussing our beliefs need not be mutually exclusive. In fact, if we don't do both, we essentially doom humanity to an ugly end.
That's quite the declaration. Humanity has done alright to date without much critical discussion of beliefs. What has changed that makes it a requirement to avoid an ugly end?

The fact that we're in an ugly present because there isn't a critical discussion of beliefs? I wouldn't say 'Humanity has done alright' in the slightest.
Time to refill your glass my friend. Life has never been better for humanity. Quality of life and length of life are only getting better. I'm interested in learning why you think it's an ugly present and what you're comparing that to. There's lots to be improved but overall I'd say humanity has never been better.

This is my point though; it all depends entirely what you mean. Is humanity OK? I don't think it is, at all, but that's my opinion; if it's about how full our glasses are (merely metaphor), then both hypotheses are valid. I'll admit we've done well in the evolutionary stakes, if world domination is looked at as the most desirable objective.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:34 am 
Got Some

I Hail Randy Moss wrote:
I've had an idea that made sense to me. I've come across it in various places. It's more philosophical than scientific, but it still holds significant weight, I think.

When I worked at Barnes & Noble, I checked out a woman's books at the front counter and saw that she was buying various material about mediums and spirit communication. I looked up at her nonchalantly, curious, and saw that she was wiping her eyes and crying. I asked if she was all right, and she flat out said, "My son died last week. I'm not doing well."

Same thing with returning WWII veterans. Just as some returning WWII veterans started dabbling in spiritualism and religion after the war, this lady at Barnes had the burning desire to reach her son after his death.

My main point is what is this knee-jerk reaction to death? This desire?

The rational mind will explain it away as the irrational need to come to terms with death and permanant departure. They'll deduce that the grief is so overwhelming that people will resort to wants and needs that are just not possible in fulfilling. There is no soul. You will never see that person again. Period.

But what is important to point out is that the grief and desire is not instilled in someone by any teaching. You don't learn it. It's natural. Like I said, it's a knee-jerk reaction. When we're thirsty, we want water. When we're hungry, we want food. Why then would nature betray us if we have a natural, universal desire that comes out of grief? Why wouldn't it find us water when we're parched? Why deny us that salvation?

As we all know, though, some people develop extreme emotional bonds with pets and experience the same profound sense of loss and search for answers when these animals die.

Pretty much refutes your argument, don't you think?

Or do you folks believe in doggie salvation, also?

but I wouldn't hold my breath

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:26 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
tyler wrote:
Harmless wrote:
tyler wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

This is my point though; it all depends entirely what you mean. Is humanity OK? I don't think it is, at all, but that's my opinion; if it's about how full our glasses are (merely metaphor), then both hypotheses are valid. I'll admit we've done well in the evolutionary stakes, if world domination is looked at as the most desirable objective.

In what ways do you feel that humanity hasn't done alright? Do you feel it's regressing from a previous high point?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:47 am 
The Snowboy

Well, I think we're pretty good at war and killing each other. The original context that spun off this conversation wasn't about whether humanity was 'doing OK' in an evolutionary sense; it was about whether the human race can go on mindlessly blowing each other up rather than being in dialogue about our differences. I said no, I'm not sure why that's wrong. But hey, never mind, we can disagree.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:21 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
Well, I think we're pretty good at war and killing each other. The original context that spun off this conversation wasn't about whether humanity was 'doing OK' in an evolutionary sense; it was about whether the human race can go on mindlessly blowing each other up rather than being in dialogue about our differences. I said no, I'm not sure why that's wrong. But hey, never mind, we can disagree.
We are good at killing each other, that's for sure. But as we get better at it we seem to do it less and less. The US government may kill less than 5,000 people this year and fewer less. State sponsored killings by Europe will be less than 100. I see nothing doom laden in that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:58 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I don't feel that the human race is being mindless about blowing each other up. There's obviously an intention behind it. I guess I always figured we have been in dialogue about our differences. Unless the reps at the U.N. only sit and stare at each other rather than hash things out?

At work we have a vendor from India that visits us once every 10 days or so. He's a Muslim. As our business relationship has become more routine and more comfortable he has opened up to us about why the U.S. is hated by the middle east. He said it has nothing to do with religious differences. At the core of the problem is the fact that when we leave a country after military action or installing a regime we don't actually leave it in better condition than when we arrived.

There is absolutely nothing mindless about the wars we wage. We wage war because we can and because it benefits us is some way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:14 pm 
Got Some

px wrote:
I don't feel that the human race is being mindless about blowing each other up. There's obviously an intention behind it. I guess I always figured we have been in dialogue about our differences. Unless the reps at the U.N. only sit and stare at each other rather than hash things out?

At work we have a vendor from India that visits us once every 10 days or so. He's a Muslim. As our business relationship has become more routine and more comfortable he has opened up to us about why the U.S. is hated by the middle east. He said it has nothing to do with religious differences. At the core of the problem is the fact that when we leave a country after military action or installing a regime we don't actually leave it in better condition than when we arrived.

There is absolutely nothing mindless about the wars we wage. We wage war because we can and because it benefits us is some way.

I can think of a bunch of wars that occurred/are occurring on the African continent that are pretty damn mindless.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:37 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

turned2black wrote:
px wrote:

I can think of a bunch of wars that occurred/are occurring on the African continent that are pretty damn mindless.

I would have to ask if there was money and/or power as the motivator behind those wars. What seems mindless to you or I is not mindless for others. I'm not saying it's right - I'm just saying that nobody wages a war just for the fuck of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

px, what's the motivator behind your posts?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:04 am 
Former PJ Drummer

washing machine wrote:
px, what's the motivator behind your posts?

Certainly not money or power. Why do you ask?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:38 pm 
The Snowboy

You don't need to tell me that all wars are waged with a motive, px. I'm not that stupid. 'Mindless' was used rhetorically.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Not that any of this matters; all wars can be blamed on religion.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:50 pm 
Reissued

corduroy_blazer wrote:

Capitalism is our main religion, friendo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:03 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

corduroy_blazer wrote:

I don't think every war was originated due specifically to religion. Religion is almost always used to emotionally manipulate how people feel about war or an enemy though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 pm 
statistically insignificant

big fan of capitalism over here fyi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Mickey wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

Capitalism is our main religion, friendo

Is God a capitalist?

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Delicious markups on copies of holy texts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 44  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate