Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB Hot Stove 08-09
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:35 pm 
Unthought Known

The Braves were the first major league team to make an offer to 22-year-old Japanese free agent Junichi Tazawa, a hard-throwing right-hander also being courted by Boston, Seattle and the Chicago Cubs.

I don't know if we're going to do enough to get Peavy. They need too, but I think they know next year is a wash already and they are playing for the future. They need Peavy to be competitive until after they get Hudson back.

The rotation is bleak. The Bullpen worse. Anyone want Blaine Boyer... anyone...???

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:49 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Jermaine Dye, Javier Vazquez, and Chris Getz

for

Kelly Johnson, Gregor Blanco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:05 pm 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
The Braves were the first major league team to make an offer to 22-year-old Japanese free agent Junichi Tazawa, a hard-throwing right-hander also being courted by Boston, Seattle and the Chicago Cubs.

the sox have been mum on their offer, but its believed, by local writers at the meetings, that the sox have made an offer and, in Boston at least, they're confident the sox are going hard after him. I'm hopeful b/c bringing him in will only add depth and make it less of a hit should the sox deal buchholz or bowden for catching help. I mention catching help b/c I'm hopeful the sox won't spend the 4/$52 that Boras is starting at for Varitek, so i'm assuming they'll have to deal for Saltalamacchia or Teagarden.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:06 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

EllisEamos wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
As expected, Yankees declined next year's options on Giambi and Pavano. I'm quite glad.

any truth to the cano to SD if a peavy deal were to happen? and if so how do you feel about it?

Supposedly, Peavy talks have narrowed to three NL teams. I don't like the idea of trading Cano for anything, even if he didn't have the best of years. He basically improved as the season went on, and I think having a year of experience with Girardi will help things. Girardi and Jeter won't let him get away with what looked liked 'phoning it in' anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:42 am 
AnalLog

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote:
According to the Los Angeles Daily News, the Dodgers have made an opening offer to Manny Ramirez.
The speculation is that they're offering $25 million per year for two or three seasons. Ramirez isn't expected to sign anytime soon. Agent Scott Boras is looking for a six-year deal that would take Manny up to age 42.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:06 am 
Interweb Celebrity

i'd trade cano for peavy in less than one second.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:08 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

EllisEamos wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote:
According to the Los Angeles Daily News, the Dodgers have made an opening offer to Manny Ramirez.
The speculation is that they're offering $25 million per year for two or three seasons. Ramirez isn't expected to sign anytime soon. Agent Scott Boras is looking for a six-year deal that would take Manny up to age 42.

I'm convinced Manny could hit till he's 50.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:46 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

pnjguy wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote:

Yep, and then good luck to that team when in year 3 of the contract Manny feels that the organization isn't coming thru on their full commitment to winning, so he decides to completely quit on them, too :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:07 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

pnjguy wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote:

Personally, I would love for Manny to stay in the NL until he's 50, commandeering left field.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:06 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Samwise wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote:

Yep, and then good luck to that team when in year 3 of the contract Manny feels that the organization isn't coming thru on their full commitment to winning, so he decides to completely quit on them, too :roll:

If you get one or two world series wins with him, i don't think it really matters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:35 pm 
Pork Chop

The Argonaut wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
As expected, Yankees declined next year's options on Giambi and Pavano. I'm quite glad.

any truth to the cano to SD if a peavy deal were to happen? and if so how do you feel about it?

Supposedly, Peavy talks have narrowed to three NL teams. I don't like the idea of trading Cano for anything, even if he didn't have the best of years. He basically improved as the season went on, and I think having a year of experience with Girardi will help things. Girardi and Jeter won't let him get away with what looked liked 'phoning it in' anymore.

I think you over estimate jeter's say or influence on what goes on.

I'd pack cano's bags for him if it meant peavy was going to new york

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:36 pm 

Dash wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

shouldn't you be a Marlins fan now or something?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:41 pm 
Pork Chop

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Dash wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

i moved to texas, lenny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:43 pm 

Dash wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Dash wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

i moved to texas, lenny

For some reason I think you actually be telling the truth. Make a thread about it in GD, please.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:45 pm 
Pork Chop

I'm way too good for GD. you know that. plus, i'm only kidding. also, the marlins play like six hours from me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:47 pm 

Dash wrote:
I'm way too good for GD. you know that. plus, i'm only kidding. also, the marlins play like six hours from me.

Oh I see, shouldn't you be like, a Carolina Panthers fan or something?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:53 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Ken Rosenthal is saying that the Cubs are now the front runners to land Peavy and the Cubs would still want to sign Dempster if they land Peavy. I have a feeling Harden would be included in the deal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:50 pm 
Supersonic

If the Cubs land Peavy, hold onto Harden, and don't shore up their bullpen, they're going to be in big, big trouble. They'd potentially have 3 starters that average 5-6 innings per.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:04 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Chris_H_2 wrote:
If the Cubs land Peavy, hold onto Harden, and don't shore up their bullpen, they're going to be in big, big trouble. They'd potentially have 3 starters that average 5-6 innings per.

well, if they sign Dempster, i don't think they can afford Wood, assuming he doesn't give the cubs another "pitty" deal. And they're already losing Howry, but that may be addition by subtraction.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:08 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Chris_H_2 wrote:

Yea ya know I'd had no idea the "full" truth on Peavy until that one ESPN article recently, forget who wrote it, that he's not necessarily all he's cracked up to be. The way the article described it, that he goes so all out all the time, he rarely goes longer than 7 innings (no complete games in his CY season) and often hits 100 pitches by the 5th inning. I had no clue of this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 43  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports