Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Jay Cutler Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:48 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
He got some protection tonight. I'm sure he enjoyed that.

I don't know...to me it seemed like he was getting rid of the ball a lot quicker too.
But he had a great game except for one bad decision.
Givin a little hope for next season.

Well, I think Cutler was surprised that Chris Williams was containing Jared Allen (we all were), i think that settled him down a bit and he wasn't worried that much about pressure, i think that helped him make better decisions too. I'm not going to get crazy about one game but its nice to see that what guys like Cutler, Williams, and Aroumashadu can do.

Well Cutler had a few bad decisions that were fortunately not picked, not just one.

I think this game indicts the coaching even more. Why did it take 14 weeks for Aromashodu to get in even though Cutler was praising him and in sync in the pre-season? Why didn't they help the LT against Allen in the first game. It's amazing what a RB chip or double-team can do. Where were the defensive adjustments in the 2nd half? Why has it taken 10 weeks for Turner to call plays other than WR screens? Why don't we roll out more with the QB (if 40 yr old Favre can, a mobile QB like Cutler should be able to)?

Although the game was great and fun, it may help further solidify keeping Smith, Turner and others for next season. They prob would have anyways, but...

Blowing a 17 point lead at home with 20 mins left and needing a blocked PAT to win?

The "Hester Experiment" is the reason way DA was not the field. The next logical step for the Bears is to trade or cut Hester, and it’s not because of the emergence of Aroumashadu. The fact is that while Hester has been out, the Bears have not missed him at all. Hester is undersized, overpaid, and will never be a number 1, and probably will never be a number 2. His apparent value of punt returning is now nonexistent as well. The combination of Manning, Knox, and Bennett are more than sufficient for punt and kickoff duties. The Bears need to rid themselves of the obligation to play him and replenish their draft situation. Hester may only net a 5th round pick, but the Bears situation warrants a need of another pick. The Bears situation also warrants a VETERAN wide out who not only knows what he’s doing, but one who can give our young receivers some guidance. It’s sad that Rasheed Davis is that guy right now. I can’t really think of a reason to keep Hester at this point, or any point in the future

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:27 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

pnjguy wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

I don't know...to me it seemed like he was getting rid of the ball a lot quicker too.

Well, I think Cutler was surprised that Chris Williams was containing Jared Allen (we all were), i think that settled him down a bit and he wasn't worried that much about pressure, i think that helped him make better decisions too. I'm not going to get crazy about one game but its nice to see that what guys like Cutler, Williams, and Aroumashadu can do.

Well Cutler had a few bad decisions that were fortunately not picked, not just one.

I think this game indicts the coaching even more. Why did it take 14 weeks for Aromashodu to get in even though Cutler was praising him and in sync in the pre-season? Why didn't they help the LT against Allen in the first game. It's amazing what a RB chip or double-team can do. Where were the defensive adjustments in the 2nd half? Why has it taken 10 weeks for Turner to call plays other than WR screens? Why don't we roll out more with the QB (if 40 yr old Favre can, a mobile QB like Cutler should be able to)?

Although the game was great and fun, it may help further solidify keeping Smith, Turner and others for next season. They prob would have anyways, but...

Blowing a 17 point lead at home with 20 mins left and needing a blocked PAT to win?

The "Hester Experiment" is the reason way DA was not the field. The next logical step for the Bears is to trade or cut Hester, and it’s not because of the emergence of Aroumashadu. The fact is that while Hester has been out, the Bears have not missed him at all. Hester is undersized, overpaid, and will never be a number 1, and probably will never be a number 2. His apparent value of punt returning is now nonexistent as well. The combination of Manning, Knox, and Bennett are more than sufficient for punt and kickoff duties. The Bears need to rid themselves of the obligation to play him and replenish their draft situation. Hester may only net a 5th round pick, but the Bears situation warrants a need of another pick. The Bears situation also warrants a VETERAN wide out who not only knows what he’s doing, but one who can give our young receivers some guidance. It’s sad that Rasheed Davis is that guy right now. I can’t really think of a reason to keep Hester at this point, or any point in the future

If they "return" to strictly returns, I think he'll be Hester again. I don't know what they were thinking in making him a #1 WR since he never played it before. Giving him a few plays is one thing... But expecting him to not only start but be a #1? :roll:

He's not overpaid. His contract is very laden incentive on being a WR. The rest is money he earned being the best returner in history.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:39 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

If they "return" to strictly returns, I think he'll be Hester again. I don't know what they were thinking in making him a #1 WR since he never played it before. Giving him a few plays is one thing... But expecting him to not only start but be a #1? :roll:

He's not overpaid. His contract is very laden incentive on being a WR. The rest is money he earned being the best returner in history.

At the very least, he's making 15 million dollars over the next 2 years, he gets another 5 million a year if he gets his WR stats. To me, that's being overpaid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:18 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

pnjguy wrote:
At the very least, he's making 15 million dollars over the next 2 years, he gets another 5 million a year if he gets his WR stats. To me, that's being overpaid.

That's not correct. His salary is $750k next year with a $5m roster bonus. 2011 is $1.5m total with it going down each subsequent year. He's already gotten most of the guaranteed money in terms of the signing bonus and this year's roster bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:21 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

That's not correct. His salary is $750k next year with a $5m roster bonus. 2011 is $1.5m total with it going down each subsequent year. He's already gotten most of the guaranteed money in terms of the signing bonus and this year's roster bonus.

Quote:
7/27/2008: Signed a four-year, $40.975 million contract extension through 2013. The deal contains $15 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus and $18.939 million in performance-based escalators. $250,000 workout bonuses are available in each year. 2009: $550,000 (+ $5 million roster bonus), 2010: $750,000 (+ $5 million roster bonus), 2011: $1.5835 million, 2012: $1.646 million, 2013: $1,857,523 (+ $10 million "deescalating" roster bonus), 2014: Free Agent. Cap charge: $6,885,883 (2009).

You're right, but he'll be overpaid next year which is even more incentive to trade him now. You can save 6+ million this year to help you get Cower, plus his trade value will be higher.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

pnjguy wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

Quote:
7/27/2008: Signed a four-year, $40.975 million contract extension through 2013. The deal contains $15 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus and $18.939 million in performance-based escalators. $250,000 workout bonuses are available in each year. 2009: $550,000 (+ $5 million roster bonus), 2010: $750,000 (+ $5 million roster bonus), 2011: $1.5835 million, 2012: $1.646 million, 2013: $1,857,523 (+ $10 million "deescalating" roster bonus), 2014: Free Agent. Cap charge: $6,885,883 (2009).

You're right, but he'll be overpaid next year which is even more incentive to trade him now. You can save 6+ million this year to help you get Cower, plus his trade value will be higher.

If he's so overpriced, how can you receive anything of value?

And they aren't getting Cowher next year, as much as I'd like to see someone else in there. I can't imagine the McCaskey's dumping $20mil.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:04 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

homersheineken wrote:

And they aren't getting Cowher next year, as much as I'd like to see someone else in there. I can't imagine the McCaskey's dumping $20mil.

He's overpriced for the Bears because they have no need for him, and he's replaceable for punt returns and at the WR position.

I find it hard to believe too, but it might prolong the discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:10 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

pnjguy wrote:
homersheineken wrote:

He's overpriced for the Bears because they have no need for him, and he's replaceable for punt returns and at the WR position.

I still don't see why another team will want that contract if he's of no value to the Bears and little value to them. There would be more value in Manning/Knox(assuming his injury isn't severe)/Bennett.

That's another thing. If Knox's injury is severe, Hester's value to the Bears increases a lot.

And why are we discussing this in the Cutler thread, not the Bears thread?? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:15 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
homersheineken wrote:

I still don't see why another team will want that contract if he's of no value to the Bears and little value to them. There would be more value in Manning/Knox(assuming his injury isn't severe)/Bennett.

That's another thing. If Knox's injury is severe, Hester's value to the Bears increases a lot.

And why are we discussing this in the Cutler thread, not the Bears thread?? :lol:

Jay Cutler is the Bears. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

pnjguy wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
homersheineken wrote:

Jay Cutler is the Bears. :lol:

"Jay is our Quarterback"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:58 pm 
Administrator

Unbelievable. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/3251

Cutler involved with OC interviews
Posted by Bob LeGere on Thu, 01/14/2010 - 19:30

While fans and media wait impatiently for the Bears to reconstruct their coaching staff, general manager Jerry Angelo and head coach Lovie Smith are more concerned with being thorough, as they consider candidates for offensive and defensive coordinator.

Perry Fewell, the Bears’ first choice for defensive coordinator, accepted the same position with the Giants late this afternoon.

One of the key factors in deciding on an offensive coordinator will be how he relates to franchise quarterback Jay Cutler. It’s so important that Cutler has become part of the evaluation process at the Bears’ request. The four-year veteran flew in to meet with candidate Ken Zampese, the Bengals’ quarterbacks coach, earlier in the week and is expected to weigh in on other candidates.

“We’ve involved Jay, and we’d like to have him meet with (all) the candidates,” Angelo said. “He understands the whole process, and he knows we want him involved. This is not the first time we’ve involved a player. This isn’t new to us.”

Cutler is not involved to the point of suggesting candidates, but he provides input when he can. His first choice would have been Jeremy Bates, his position coach during his final season in Denver. But Bates is expected to be part of Pete Carroll’s new Seattle Seahawks staff.

“I think he was disappointed,” Angelo said of Cutler, “because of the relationship had had with him. But he’s very optimistic we’ll get the right guy.”

But it may take awhile for the Bears to hire two new coordinators, and coaches for the offensive line, quarterbacks and tight ends. If the Bears have targeted coaches still involved with the playoffs, the staff may not be completed until after the Super Bowl. That’s fine with Angelo.

“There really isn’t a timetable,” he said. “We’re not under the gun. We’re not in the playoffs, so we have more time than we’d like, but we’re going to take advantage of that and we’re going to take our time. It’s a big decision, and we want to do a thorough job.
“The emphasis is on making sure we’ve done everything we possibly could because there are a lot of moving parts. We can’t put a timeline on it or rush to judgment. When you’re hurried, you’re apt to make a poor decision. We want to make sure.”

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:02 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Green Habit wrote:
Unbelievable. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/3251

Cutler involved with OC interviews
Posted by Bob LeGere on Thu, 01/14/2010 - 19:30

While fans and media wait impatiently for the Bears to reconstruct their coaching staff, general manager Jerry Angelo and head coach Lovie Smith are more concerned with being thorough, as they consider candidates for offensive and defensive coordinator.

Perry Fewell, the Bears’ first choice for defensive coordinator, accepted the same position with the Giants late this afternoon.

One of the key factors in deciding on an offensive coordinator will be how he relates to franchise quarterback Jay Cutler. It’s so important that Cutler has become part of the evaluation process at the Bears’ request. The four-year veteran flew in to meet with candidate Ken Zampese, the Bengals’ quarterbacks coach, earlier in the week and is expected to weigh in on other candidates.

“We’ve involved Jay, and we’d like to have him meet with (all) the candidates,” Angelo said. “He understands the whole process, and he knows we want him involved. This is not the first time we’ve involved a player. This isn’t new to us.”

Cutler is not involved to the point of suggesting candidates, but he provides input when he can. His first choice would have been Jeremy Bates, his position coach during his final season in Denver. But Bates is expected to be part of Pete Carroll’s new Seattle Seahawks staff.

“I think he was disappointed,” Angelo said of Cutler, “because of the relationship had had with him. But he’s very optimistic we’ll get the right guy.”

But it may take awhile for the Bears to hire two new coordinators, and coaches for the offensive line, quarterbacks and tight ends. If the Bears have targeted coaches still involved with the playoffs, the staff may not be completed until after the Super Bowl. That’s fine with Angelo.

“There really isn’t a timetable,” he said. “We’re not under the gun. We’re not in the playoffs, so we have more time than we’d like, but we’re going to take advantage of that and we’re going to take our time. It’s a big decision, and we want to do a thorough job.
“The emphasis is on making sure we’ve done everything we possibly could because there are a lot of moving parts. We can’t put a timeline on it or rush to judgment. When you’re hurried, you’re apt to make a poor decision. We want to make sure.”

1) I don't know why its so unbelivable, it's actually one of the smarter things to do.

2) Why do you keep posting Cutler articles? Do you have some sort of facination with him? The trade was done almost a year ago, get over it.

3) And it seems no one cares.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:17 pm 
a joke

pnjguy wrote:

2) Why do you keep posting Cutler articles? Do you have some sort of facination with him? The trade was done almost a year ago, get over it.

Cause hes a Broncos fan who wants to continue to feel good about a trade that was not entirely well recieved initially.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:31 pm 
Unthought Known

I hate to say this, but the Cutler saga is sadly sounding a lot like the way Michael Vick was handled when he was here. I certainly hope he works his ass off in the off season.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:34 pm 
Administrator

pnjguy wrote:
1) I don't know why its so unbelivable, it's actually one of the smarter things to do.

3) And it seems no one cares.
Well, Cutler kind of has a history of showing displeasure with offensive systems that don't fit him, so I thought it was relevant. And I'm long over the trade. Hell, I'll probably root for the guy most of the time now that draft picks aren't at stake.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Electromatic wrote:
I hate to say this, but the Cutler saga is sadly sounding a lot like the way Michael Vick was handled when he was here. I certainly hope he works his ass off in the off season.

I certaintly hope the bears organization actually give Cutler the tools to suceed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Green Habit wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Well, Cutler kind of has a history of showing displeasure with offensive systems that don't fit him.

So you're saying that the Bears should get somebody that doesn't fit well their $40 million dollar investment whether you think he's good or not?

And i'm not sure Cutler is the only quarterback that has a say in a OC.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:39 pm 
Unthought Known

pnjguy wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I certaintly hope the bears organization actually give Cutler the tools to suceed.

I'd like to see them think about making some trades to get more picks in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year and or finding a few guys in free agency to beef up the OL. I really think if they can protect Cutler for long enough they have the tools to stretch the field especially in the middle with Olson. Devin Hester I feel like is expendable. They can get a better pure WR and find an adequate returner. They can't possibly start another season with an offensive line that is so understaffed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Electromatic wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I'd like to see them think about making some trades to get more picks in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year and or finding a few guys in free agency to beef up the OL. I really think if they can protect Cutler for long enough they have the tools to stretch the field especially in the middle with Olson. Devin Hester I feel like is expendable. They can get a better pure WR and find an adequate returner. They can't possibly start another season with an offensive line that is so understaffed.

Been saying this for weeks. Hester is not a good WR and may never be. And the the combo of Knox and Manning as returners is more than efficient. Hester is very expendable. If you can get a 3rd rounder for him i'd do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:47 pm 
Administrator

pnjguy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Well, Cutler kind of has a history of showing displeasure with offensive systems that don't fit him.
So you're saying that the Bears should get somebody that doesn't fit well their $40 million dollar investment whether you think he's good or not?

And i'm not sure Cutler is the only quarterback that has a say in a OC.
Of course not. I just hope for the Bears' sake that Cutler doesn't try to force his way into the plans. He's not a coach, nor an executive, nor as experienced or nuanced of a QB as, say, Peyton Manning or Brett Favre. He just needs to sit back and trust the Bears will make the right decision.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports