Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231 ... 237  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:17 pm 
Supersonic

PhilPritchard wrote:
Coach wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
Coach wrote:
Could be a fight during this game. Staying tuned.

I don't blame Youkilis for his reaction to getting hit, but it was pretty obvious Hutchison didn't do it on purpose. Also, how the hell does the umpire let Shoppach get away with the HBP on that one?

Shoppach reminds me of Don Baylor....one of his skills is getting hit by a pitch. Sometimes, it's illegal, sometimes it's not, but most times it's a-ok. I'd need to see another replay and re-read the rules on that latest one.

Youk was fine with being hit...I think that he just preferred that it happen in the thigh, not the head. The pitcher is a rookie, right? He'll learn the art of hitting a player in the right spot (if that's what his intentions were).

Yeah that's what I mean about Youkilis. His argument was fine (he should have hit him in the hip instead of the head) but I don't think there was any intention on Hutchison's part to hit him.

I think the rule is that players have to make a reasonable effort to avoid getting hit. Shoppach started to turn his back, realized the pitch was breaking away from him, and shoved his elbow out so it would hit him. It was pretty obviously intentional.

Agree with you on all points here, expect for Hutchison...I think he was throwing at Youk and I have no problem with that.

Good weekend of baseball. Good to see the division so tight right now. I'm tired of the Sox-Yankees-Rays thing. We need new blood.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:25 am 
Supersonic

Coach wrote:
Good weekend of baseball. Good to see the division so tight right now. I'm tired of the Sox-Yankees-Rays thing. We need new blood.

Yeah it was definitely an entertaining series, and both teams are going to have a lot of those in the next few months. Fun times!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:55 pm 
Supersonic

Baseball is better when more teams are in playoff contention....just look at the NFL!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:37 am 
AnalLog

i'm really not sure whether to be proud that i knew this team wasn't capable of much or disappointed that they didn't prove me wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:56 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
i'm really not sure whether to be proud that i knew this team wasn't capable of much or disappointed that they didn't prove me wrong.

Ellis, there's still time to prove you wrong. It's a long season, cliche, I know, but the Sox are six games back of first in the division. Factor in all the injuries, the bad start, the 1B playing right field, etc....I wouldn't bury them yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:54 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

Ellis, there's still time to prove you wrong. It's a long season, cliche, I know, but the Sox are six games back of first in the division. Factor in all the injuries, the bad start, the 1B playing right field, etc....I wouldn't bury them yet.
based on my posting history, i obviously love being wrong, but i might actually be right about this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:19 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

based on my posting history, i obviously love being wrong, but i might actually be right about this one.

I think you were in the majority. Expectations going in were low.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:39 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

at least they'll get lackey back next season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:57 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

This makes me happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 am 
a joke

PhilPritchard wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

This makes me happy.

If i were you,I would just be hoping Morrow isn't out for any length of time, or Ellis will get a hard-on for the notion of the Sox trying to get him "in case he's healthy"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:43 am 
AnalLog

Skitch Patterson wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

This makes me happy.

If i were you,I would just be hoping Morrow isn't out for any length of time, or Ellis will get a hard-on for the notion of the Sox trying to get him "in case he's healthy"
hey i'll see your zumaya and point out that both broxton & nathan have had nice seasons so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:11 am 
Supersonic

Skitch Patterson wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

This makes me happy.

Luckily, I have every reason to trust the Jays GM. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:02 pm 
Supersonic

Just UGH, Boston. Just UGH.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 am 
Unthought Known

I say if they dont go on a run RIGHT NOW, as in 8 out of the next 10, let the firesale begin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:21 am 
AnalLog

fuck that.

sell now.

no time like the present.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:22 am 
Unthought Known

Considering that in like 4 years they are going to have a shit ton of money tied up in a few old ass fools, they should acquire as much young major league ready talent as they can right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:17 am 
Supersonic

mick7184 wrote:
Considering that in like 4 years they are going to have a shit ton of money tied up in a few old ass fools, they should acquire as much young major league ready talent as they can right now.

That's what I would probably do in their situation (assuming they don't turn things around in the next couple weeks), but do you think they will do it? They have a lot of talent on the roster and they aren't getting results. That seems to me like the perfect situation to get rid of some of the older/overpaid players, build up the farm system and/or add some young, inexpensive, controllable players.

I know it's mostly my anti-Red Sox bias, but I can picture them trying to hold on and take their chances at making the playoffs this year or next before selling off a lot of their assets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:06 pm 
Supersonic

Have the Sox ever been true "sellers" at the trade deadline?

Meaning giving up an elite player for prospects? Hasn't it always been a mixed bag at best?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:31 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:

Meaning giving up an elite player for prospects? Hasn't it always been a mixed bag at best?
yeah, or they overpay for not much in return.

i say sell whatever parts you can, build the bullpen up so that next year w/ the rotation being lead by lackey & dice-k bobby v will have plenty of options in the 3rd & 4th innings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:32 pm 
Supersonic

Coach wrote:

I don't know that they need to trade the elite players though. I think they should just pick the few players they want to keep as the core and build around them by trading off the non-core assets. The team as a whole is old, expensive and underacheiving. The have enough talent that they could conceivably make a run at the playoffs with the group they have, but I don't see it happening in the AL East.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231 ... 237  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports