Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB Hot Stove 08-09
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:53 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

i'm not quite following.

in other news, it appears the yankees are bringing back mike mussina and andy pettitte.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:59 pm 
Camden Crew

good for them. Moose had a great year. can he do it again?

hes chasing some HOF numbers right? I just dont see him as a HOF, one of those barely on the cusp kinda guys. but if he gets to 300 Ws thats an automatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:22 pm 
Got Some

The Argonaut wrote:
Randy Johnson retires.

I don't see this happening until he wins #300.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:56 pm 
AnalLog

hammer wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
Randy Johnson retires.

I don't see this happening until he wins #300.

4 wins away, right?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:58 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

oh no....not "hot stove". Isn't 8 months a year enough?

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:03 am 
AnalLog

Clubber wrote:

enough of what? no sport has an off-season in this day and age

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:11 am 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

EllisEamos wrote:
Clubber wrote:

True, but no sport comes even close to baseball when it comes to off-season bullshit. It's beyond annoying and this is probably the 5th straight year i've bitched about it on RM.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:26 am 
AnalLog

Clubber wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Clubber wrote:

True, but no sport comes even close to baseball when it comes to off-season bullshit. It's beyond annoying and this is probably the 5th straight year i've bitched about it on RM.

well there's a streak for ya!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:33 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Clubber wrote:

i probably like the offseason more than the actual season.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:34 am 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Clubber wrote:

That hurts and i'm not even a big baseball fan. Just don't say you like fantasty football better than the real season and we'll be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:45 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Clubber wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Clubber wrote:

That hurts and i'm not even a big baseball fan. Just don't say you like fantasty football better than the real season and we'll be ok.

i'm not even playing fantasy football this year, but that would be blasphemy. it's just that a 162-game season gets tedious.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:05 am 
Supersonic

corduroy_blazer wrote:
i'm not quite following.

in other news, it appears the yankees are bringing back mike mussina and andy pettitte.

Numbers and stats aren't the only data points to consider when analyzing offseason moves. If you like stats, go hang out with the BCS computer. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:09 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Coach wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
i'm not quite following.

Numbers and stats aren't the only data points to consider when analyzing offseason moves. If you like stats, go hang out with the BCS computer. :thumbsup:

did i write anything close to something resembling a post arguing that stats are the only thing an organization should use when making offseason move? either way, stats are wholly important. you can't take them out of the picture whatsoever.

by the way, if you hate stats and critical analysis of players and the game, go hang out with the guys who think jeter's the best defensive shortshop in the game. you belong in the same boat.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:47 am 
a joke

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Clubber wrote:

I was going to write some mean spirited post about this. Along the lines of "Of course you do, because the offseason is the only time VORP, and ERA+ and Win Shares actually turn out to be relevant and you dont need to worry about insignificant things like who won the game.

However, i dont disagree with you. There is something very interesting about the speculation of what pieces will turn up where, and how it went down. Seeing obvious perfect fits going to the wrong place, and trades that should be made that aren't. Its easy to follow, because for all the things that seem to go on, its usually only 2-3 noteworthy moves a week. Its a time to gain hope for you favorite teams, and laugh at the failures of the teams you hate (even if you know they'll still be good). I also love the lists of supposed "likely teams" FA's are going to end up with... which are right, what, 10% of the time?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:14 am 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

edzeppe wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Clubber wrote:

I was going to write some mean spirited post about this. Along the lines of "Of course you do, because the offseason is the only time VORP, and ERA+ and Win Shares actually turn out to be relevant and you dont need to worry about insignificant things like who won the game.

However, i dont disagree with you. There is something very interesting about the speculation of what pieces will turn up where, and how it went down. Seeing obvious perfect fits going to the wrong place, and trades that should be made that aren't. Its easy to follow, because for all the things that seem to go on, its usually only 2-3 noteworthy moves a week. Its a time to gain hope for you favorite teams, and laugh at the failures of the teams you hate (even if you know they'll still be good). I also love the lists of supposed "likely teams" FA's are going to end up with... which are right, what, 10% of the time?

I totally disagree with both of you and think the whole thing is a joke. Teams like the Pirates and the Nationals aren't even involved in any of this except giving away their best players for nothing. It's great if you are a fan of a big market team but for a lot of other teams the whole thing is unfair.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:39 am 
a joke

Clubber wrote:
edzeppe wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Clubber wrote:

I totally disagree with both of you and think the whole thing is a joke. Teams like the Pirates and the Nationals aren't even involved in any of this except giving away their best players for nothing. It's great if you are a fan of a big market team but for a lot of other teams the whole thing is unfair.

Im a Tiger fan.
I spent 12 years as a small market team.
And for the Nationals and Pirates, its not a matter of market- its a matter of idiot ownership and management. Look at the Tigers (before the last 2 years), Twins, A's, Brewers, Rays, Rockies, Marlins etc... All have had playoff seasons in the bottom half of the payroll list. Some, like the Twins have been consistantly decent, others like the A's and Marlins have been good, regressed and rebuilt- all while remaining small market. Poorly run franchises will suck no matter what the system.- and i say that as a Lions fan.

And As a Fan of a team that was very bad for a very long time (like the Pirates and Nats. ) I can tell you this time of year was with out a doubt the best time of year. You can look at the winter league performances and get excited about AA prospects you know arent gonna amount to much, etc. The Hope is what is exciting for fans this time of year- no matter how good you were the previous year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:20 am 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

edzeppe wrote:
Clubber wrote:
edzeppe wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Clubber wrote:

Im a Tiger fan.
And for the Nationals and Pirates, its not a matter of market- its a matter of idiot ownership and management. Look at the Tigers (before the last 2 years), Twins, A's, Brewers, Rays, Rockies, Marlins etc... All have had playoff seasons in the bottom half of the payroll list. Some, like the Twins have been consistantly decent, others like the A's and Marlins have been good, regressed and rebuilt- all while remaining small market. Poorly run franchises will suck no matter what the system.- and i say that as a Lions fan.

And As a Fan of a team that was very bad for a very long time (like the Pirates and Nats. ) I can tell you this time of year was with out a doubt the best time of year. You can look at the winter league performances and get excited about AA prospects you know arent gonna amount to much, etc. The Hope is what is exciting for fans this time of year- no matter how good you were the previous year.

"Idiot Owners" seem to be a dime a dozen in MLB, it's a big part of the problem. Detroit isn't a small market team so i'm not sure why you'd make that comparison. It's a fact that 10 teams this off-season will basically sell the ranch and not bring enough back in return to field a competitive team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:54 am 
a joke

Clubber wrote:
edzeppe wrote:
Clubber wrote:
edzeppe wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Clubber wrote:

Im a Tiger fan.

"Idiot Owners" seem to be a dime a dozen in MLB, it's a big part of the problem. Detroit isn't a small market team so i'm not sure why you'd make that comparison. It's a fact that 10 teams this off-season will basically sell the ranch and not bring enough back in return to field a competitive team

MLB has Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, DC, KC and MAYBE Baltimore (they spend $ though)...
NFL has Detroit, Cincinatti, SF and Houston.
The number of consistantly bad teams is pretty similar in each sport.

Your lack of baseball knowledge seems to allow you to forget that between '94 and '04 the Detroit Tigers were considered a small market team, usually in the bottom third in baseball in payroll. Its just the past 3 years where they have started to be considered large market.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Clubber wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Clubber wrote:

NFL Draft coverage starting in January disagrees.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:18 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

EllisEamos wrote:
two thoughts after reading unrelated articles:
#2 - the chisox seem to want to rid themselves of vazquez. they would like to upgrade their lead-off spot and/or 3rd. the money for lowell and vazquez is identical. could a deal possibly workout as such:

lowell & coco

for:

vazquez & minor leaguer

Kenny Williams has said that he wants to get younger and faster. Lowell is neither of those. I wouldn't mind Crisp as a number 9 hitter, but not leadoff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 43  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports