Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB Hot Stove 08-09
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:47 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:

So Tek requested it, I'm sure this means a deal gets done and Boras takes whatever happens and focuses even more on getting manny more money.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:56 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:

So Tek requested it, I'm sure this means a deal gets done and Boras takes whatever happens and focuses even more on getting manny more money.

Exactly. I think Tek ought to fire Boras. :D
Rare instance where Boras apparently misjudged the market for a catcher who batted below .200 after May and will turn 37.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:09 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:

Rare instance where Boras apparently misjudged the market for a catcher who batted below .200 after May and will turn 37.

i'm only joking, but which part did SB misjudge? that Tek would have a market or that Tek would be held accountable for his numbers and his age? I think the biggest misstep was that he was offered arb. and he declined. The sox were willing to pay him $10 million!!! I couldn't believe they offered it and that Tek & SB turned it down. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:13 pm 
AnalLog

mlbtraderumors.com wrote:
Jon Heyman has the details. Hamels makes $4.35MM this year, $6.65MM in 2010 and $9.5MM in 2011. If Hamels wins the Cy Young his contract goes up by $500K the following season and he'll get a $250K raise the year after a second or third place finish. Presumably he'd get an immediate bonus if he finishes in the top three in voting in the deal's final year.

According to Sherman, Hamels is in line for additional bonuses of $100K, $75K and $50K if he finishes first second or third in Cy Young or MVP voting. If he's the World Series MVP he makes $100K and if he's the LCS MVP or on the All Star team he gets a $50K bonus. Hamels, who has a .390 OPS as a hitter, makes $25K for winning a Silver Slugger or a Gold Glove.

Hamels made $500K last year and was arbitration-eligible for the first time. The new deal spans his three years of arbitration eligibility without covering any of his free agent years.

:shock: Amazingly cheap and short deal. Great job Phillies!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:22 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:

i'm only joking, but which part did SB misjudge? that Tek would have a market or that Tek would be held accountable for his numbers and his age? I think the biggest misstep was that he was offered arb. and he declined. The sox were willing to pay him $10 million!!! I couldn't believe they offered it and that Tek & SB turned it down. :shock:

100 percent agree with you here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:48 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:

just to clarify, I didn't want the sox to offer arbitration figuring that it would cost them too much money.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:24 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

EllisEamos wrote:
mlbtraderumors.com wrote:
Jon Heyman has the details. Hamels makes $4.35MM this year, $6.65MM in 2010 and $9.5MM in 2011. If Hamels wins the Cy Young his contract goes up by $500K the following season and he'll get a $250K raise the year after a second or third place finish. Presumably he'd get an immediate bonus if he finishes in the top three in voting in the deal's final year.

According to Sherman, Hamels is in line for additional bonuses of $100K, $75K and $50K if he finishes first second or third in Cy Young or MVP voting. If he's the World Series MVP he makes $100K and if he's the LCS MVP or on the All Star team he gets a $50K bonus. Hamels, who has a .390 OPS as a hitter, makes $25K for winning a Silver Slugger or a Gold Glove.

Hamels made $500K last year and was arbitration-eligible for the first time. The new deal spans his three years of arbitration eligibility without covering any of his free agent years.

:shock: Amazingly cheap and short deal. Great job Phillies!

As much as I love this news, it's still kinda depressing that he's getting a smaller overall contract than we gave... Adam Eaton :shake:

This is correct, no?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:28 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:

just to clarify, I didn't want the sox to offer arbitration figuring that it would cost them too much money.

looks like it's gonna work out though as the draft pick a team would have to give up to sign tek was a good (one of many) deterents.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:31 pm 
AnalLog

Samwise wrote:
As much as I love this news, it's still kinda depressing that he's getting a smaller overall contract than we gave... Adam Eaton :shake:

This is correct, no?

yes its correct (eaton got 3/$24.5), but these were Hamels's arbitration years, so it bypasses that whole process for player and team and after 3 seasons he'll get his Sabathia contract and be smilin' for the cameras. :thumbsup:

Coach wrote:
looks like it's gonna work out though as the draft pick a team would have to give up to sign tek was a good (one of many) deterents.

sure, I'm just saying I was nervous when they offered it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:40 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
Samwise wrote:

This is correct, no?

yes its correct (eaton got 3/$24.5), but these were Hamels's arbitration years, so it bypasses that whole process for player and team and after 3 seasons he'll get his Sabathia contract and be smilin' for the cameras. :thumbsup:

Coach wrote:

Nervous? I enjoy watching the offseason moves, but I wouldn't loose sleep over what those con artists are up to on Yawkee Way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:13 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Samwise wrote:

This is correct, no?

Coach wrote:

Nervous? I enjoy watching the offseason moves, but I wouldn't loose sleep over what those con artists are up to on Yawkee Way.

I didn't lose sleep, I just thought it would restrict them from doing what they should/could do this offseason.

it all worked out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:22 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Samwise wrote:

This is correct, no?

Coach wrote:

I didn't lose sleep, I just thought it would restrict them from doing what they should/could do this offseason.

it all worked out.

Tek told the media that meeting went "ok." :haha:

Talk about playing hardball on both sides. whatever

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:26 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:

Guess who's got the inside scoop... :heartbeat: :luv: :heartbeat:

http://www.nesn.com/content/videocenter ... fault.aspx

Quote:
She says Varitek's meeting with Henry was to "clear the air" rather than negotiate. The Red Sox had not been returning Scott Boras' phone calls, but now they'll reopen negotiations. Watney notes that Varitek was not aware when he turned down arbitration that any signing team would have to give up a draft pick. Tek does not blame Boras for this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:28 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
Coach wrote:

Guess who's got the inside scoop... :heartbeat: :luv: :heartbeat:

http://www.nesn.com/content/videocenter ... fault.aspx

Quote:
She says Varitek's meeting with Henry was to "clear the air" rather than negotiate. The Red Sox had not been returning Scott Boras' phone calls, but now they'll reopen negotiations. Watney notes that Varitek was not aware when he turned down arbitration that any signing team would have to give up a draft pick. Tek does not blame Boras for this.

Tek is an idiot (or he's lying) about not knowing that a team would have to surrender a draft pick; that's like McNabb not knowing the rules of overtime. :haha:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:50 pm 
Unthought Known

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/arti ... p&c_id=atl

Help perhaps on the way for the Braves eventually... but they still need help in the outfield this year. I guess they are going to count on Diaz again.

no Heyward this year anyway.

probably Schaffer and Josh Anderson. I'm just going to guess Tommy Hanson is worked in to Gwinnett this year and will probably pitch a bit with the Big League club if he shows well in Spring Training.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:02 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

fielder signs two year deal with the brewers. yanks and mets the two teams vying for freddy garcia (shocker). vizquel signs with the rangers. dunn, sheets, abreu all still on the market. manny, too.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:36 am 
Got Some

corduroy_blazer wrote:
fielder signs two year deal with the brewers. yanks and mets the two teams vying for freddy garcia (shocker). vizquel signs with the rangers. dunn, sheets, abreu all still on the market. manny, too.

Sheets was a complete fool for not taking the Brewers arbitration deal. He should have stayed another year to try and prove that he can maybe stay healthy, then hit free agency.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:45 pm 
AnalLog

interesting idea:

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/20 ... ers_an.php

something to be considered:

http://www.rotoauthority.com/2009/01/th ... lub-2.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:13 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

I really don't understand what the Cubs are doing this off season. Nothng they've done this off season has made sense to me, and the trade for Aaron Heilman just adds to it. :shake:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:48 pm 
Supersonic

Too Big a Man Too Say wrote:
I really don't understand what the Cubs are doing this off season. Nothng they've done this off season has made sense to me, and the trade for Aaron Heilman just adds to it. :shake:

Just wait until Kevin Gregg is closing games for the Cubs. :shake:

I agree, I'm not sure what Hendry's been thinking with some of his moves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 43  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports