Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lebron James
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:59 am 
In a van down by the river

jea

LOUS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:18 am 
Got Some

Peeps wrote:
jea

LOUS

Of who?

You? You know that you haven't actually accomplished anything by rooting for Kobe, right?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:24 am 

the verb to trust wrote:
Peeps wrote:
jea

LOUS

Of who?

You? You know that you haven't actually accomplished anything by rooting for Kobe, right?

of a team that will pay what it takes to win championships and put a team together that will work

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:39 am 
Got Some

Peeps wrote:
the verb to trust wrote:
Peeps wrote:
jea

LOUS

Of who?

of a team that will pay what it takes to win championships and put a team together that will work

What's the joy in rooting for a team that only wins beacause they spend more money than everyone else? We obviously enjoy sports for two different things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:16 am 

the verb to trust wrote:
Peeps wrote:
the verb to trust wrote:
Peeps wrote:
jea

LOUS

Of who?

What's the joy in rooting for a team that only wins beacause they spend more money than everyone else? We obviously enjoy sports for two different things.

so youre saying the fact that they spend money on players that fit in well with each other and play a team game has nothing to do with them winning at all? if the only reason they win is cause they spend money then why arent the knicks NBA champs?

face it champ, the only reason you hate the lakers so much, has nothing to do with money being spent on players, it is because they are an extremely well run organization that knows what it takes to win and arent afraid to spend money to do so, instead of just having a ho-hum payroll and pocketing the difference

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 am 
a joke

the verb to trust wrote:
The older I get the less I care about my sports teams winning championships. I don't know why everyone in America is only concerned about the end results.

Lets be honest- its not an american problem. Look at the world cup, and what happens to teams/coaches that have one bad play or game.

BUT i agree with you. I am the same way. I can tell you exactly when i turned... when the Pistons lost to the Spurs in the NBA finals about 5 years ago. I wasn't upset.. at all. I got to see a great team all season, and the only negative was the end. Heck, it was a game 7 so its not like they could have even extended the season by winning...and as people become more and more "championship or else" oriented, they are becoming more ridiculous. Do you guys realize here in Detroit that people have been calling for the firing of Joe Dumars here? Since they lost to Cleveland in the first round 2 years ago? You know, an NBA GM with a ring and 6 (or 5?) straight Conf. Finals appearances. He made the conf. finals 6 years in a row.. missed once and people wanted him fired.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:02 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Skitch Patterson wrote:
the verb to trust wrote:
The older I get the less I care about my sports teams winning championships. I don't know why everyone in America is only concerned about the end results.

Lets be honest- its not an american problem. Look at the world cup, and what happens to teams/coaches that have one bad play or game.

BUT i agree with you. I am the same way. I can tell you exactly when i turned, when the Pistons lost to the Spurs in the NBA finals about 5 years ago. I wasn't upset.. at all. I got to see a great team all season, and the only negative was the end. Heck, it was a game 7 so its not like they could have even extended the season by winning...and as people become more and more "championship or else" oriented, they are becoming more ridiculous. Do you guys realize here in Detroit that people have been calling for the firing of Joe Dumars here? Since they lost to Cleveland in the first round 2 years ago? You know, an NBA GM with a ring and 6 (or 5?) straight Conf. Finals appearances. He made the conf. finals 6 years in a row.. missed once and people wanted him fired.

I was born and raised in Indianapolis so seeing the Colts lose the Super Bowl last season hurt but not as bad as I thought it would. Last year was the best most exciting Colts seasons I have ever followed. Manning had like 10 4th quarter comebacks and the Colts beat a lot of good teams the old fashioned way. Even the Super Bowl was a good game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:09 pm 

adam ant once sang, when you get a number 1 the only way is down

sadly thats how it is for sports teams, once you have hit the top people expect you to stay there and if you dont, obviously it is because you suck and not that other teams have gotten better, i mean, that just makes no sense.

i sat through the larry drew and terry teagle, sedell threatte years and even (S)Eld(o)e(M)n Campbell years. so i know what its like to watch a team just play mediocre ball.

when people complain about teams like, the redskins, yanks, sox and lakers spending a crapload of money to try to win they never look at the opposite. fortunately i have the pleasure of living in pittsburgh, where the pirates once ruled the summer/begining of fall sports world here.

now there are owners who are just happy to get a stipend check from the yanks, bosox and other teams. they then cultivate young talent and when it comes time to pay them their market worth, they get rid of them in order to save money.

so yea, im extremely pleased that the lakers go out and buy the best players they can but also make sure that they mesh together too

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:25 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

the verb to trust wrote:
Peeps wrote:
jimmac24 wrote:
Peeps wrote:
the verb to trust wrote:
Veddar10 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Peeps wrote:
bill simmons is the kid who couldnt even make the JV team so now he makes it his point to bash any athlete

False, he's one of the most respected basketball minds around.

Yup. He also calls it like he sees it. Lebron clearly quit on his team in the playoffs this year.

yeah he definitley did. I hate to say it cuz I hate Kobe but it proved that Kobe is more of a real competitor. And really what about the elbow thing? Did he just make that shit up?

Um, you know Kobe has quit on his team in the playoffs as well, right? And then threw his teammates under a bus and demanded a trade? It was only 3 or 4 seasons ago. People have short memories :shake:

Anyways, Kobe and Lebron can both suck it. Players nowadays just want the easiest road to a ring and have no interest in building teams. Nobody cares about the process, only the results.

kobe has very high demands, i dont think this is a shock to anyone. and he never quit on his team. did he throw bynum under the bus? yes he did. but also look at what that did to bynum, made him a much better player because he now knew he has to up his intensity level and get more serious about his work ethic and commitment to play, not the ass clown that was still updating his myspace with stupid shit.

and while i certainly laugh at the way lebron did it and totally lost a lot of respect i had for him for doing so, i will not condem him for wanting to take LESS money to get a championship. people always bitch about a player being me me me (money money money) and not caring about a championship and when they finally do the opposite people still bitch about it.

youre a fucking joke if youre going to hold that against lebron because it is very evident no FA will ever go to the mistake by the lake unless they are a tier C and get a max offer, and even then lebron had no chance of winning a title with a bunch of C listers

hmmm, guess you forgot about Game 7 vs the Suns in 2006 and Game 6 vs the Celtics in 2008.

he wasnt making shots, its not like he quit. everyone goes through times where they dont hit shots, thats not the same as quitting

No dude. In Game 7 against the Suns he quit. In the second half he would pass off the ball to Luke Walton and just stand 40 feet from the basket like he was trying to prove some immature point.

Kobe has won a lot of rings. Good for him. But he's shown a lack of character when he doesn't win or isn't on a loaded team. Same as Lebron. The older I get the less I care about my sports teams winning championships. I don't know why everyone in America is only concerned about the end results. Watching a team that may be less talented than another team with a huge payroll but has good chemistry and players that play hard all of the time is wholly more inspiring to me. Even if they don't win.

I have to clarify that I didn't intend to cast kobe in a positive light whatsoever. I still hate his fucking guts and will swear on everything holy that the Lakers get advantages over other teams that go far beyond spending the most. I haven't forgotten all of the assholes moves he has pulled over the years and I could never under any circumstances root for LA. But I don't need to go there again anymore today. What I was meant to imply with the competitor comment was that I don't think Kobe would ever jump ship to go play with another player who is arguably better than him and Chris Bosh.

Peeps don't act like Kobe hasn't quit on his team before. Verb is exactly right. He was called out by numerous sports writers and athletes after that Phoenix series. He just passed the ball to whoever else was on the wing then stood ten feet behind the 3 pt. line to take himself out of the play. He acted like he wanted to prove that he was the most important person out there and that the other guys on the court couldn't do anything without him making it happen for them. He's an arrogant shithead and people with character don't root for arrogant shitheads.

Also about Lebron taking less money. I'm not sure he really did. I admit I didn't go do the math and figure out all the numbers but people forget Florida has no state income tax which is a huge difference when compared to New York or Chicago. I wonder if there is a difference money wise at all with what he would've made with the Knicks compared to his contract with the Heat and if so, he didn't sacrifice much. The Heat won't win the title this season anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:26 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

the verb to trust wrote:
Peeps wrote:
jimmac24 wrote:
Peeps wrote:
the verb to trust wrote:
Veddar10 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Peeps wrote:
bill simmons is the kid who couldnt even make the JV team so now he makes it his point to bash any athlete

False, he's one of the most respected basketball minds around.

Yup. He also calls it like he sees it. Lebron clearly quit on his team in the playoffs this year.

yeah he definitley did. I hate to say it cuz I hate Kobe but it proved that Kobe is more of a real competitor. And really what about the elbow thing? Did he just make that shit up?

Um, you know Kobe has quit on his team in the playoffs as well, right? And then threw his teammates under a bus and demanded a trade? It was only 3 or 4 seasons ago. People have short memories :shake:

Anyways, Kobe and Lebron can both suck it. Players nowadays just want the easiest road to a ring and have no interest in building teams. Nobody cares about the process, only the results.

kobe has very high demands, i dont think this is a shock to anyone. and he never quit on his team. did he throw bynum under the bus? yes he did. but also look at what that did to bynum, made him a much better player because he now knew he has to up his intensity level and get more serious about his work ethic and commitment to play, not the ass clown that was still updating his myspace with stupid shit.

and while i certainly laugh at the way lebron did it and totally lost a lot of respect i had for him for doing so, i will not condem him for wanting to take LESS money to get a championship. people always bitch about a player being me me me (money money money) and not caring about a championship and when they finally do the opposite people still bitch about it.

youre a fucking joke if youre going to hold that against lebron because it is very evident no FA will ever go to the mistake by the lake unless they are a tier C and get a max offer, and even then lebron had no chance of winning a title with a bunch of C listers

hmmm, guess you forgot about Game 7 vs the Suns in 2006 and Game 6 vs the Celtics in 2008.

he wasnt making shots, its not like he quit. everyone goes through times where they dont hit shots, thats not the same as quitting

No dude. In Game 7 against the Suns he quit. In the second half he would pass off the ball to Luke Walton and just stand 40 feet from the basket like he was trying to prove some immature point.

Kobe has won a lot of rings. Good for him. But he's shown a lack of character when he doesn't win or isn't on a loaded team. Same as Lebron. The older I get the less I care about my sports teams winning championships. I don't know why everyone in America is only concerned about the end results. Watching a team that may be less talented than another team with a huge payroll but has good chemistry and players that play hard all of the time is wholly more inspiring to me. Even if they don't win.

I have to clarify that I didn't intend to cast kobe in a positive light whatsoever. I still hate his fucking guts and will swear on everything holy that the Lakers get advantages over other teams that go far beyond spending the most. I haven't forgotten all of the assholes moves he has pulled over the years and I could never under any circumstances root for LA. But I don't need to go there again anymore today. What I was meant to imply with the competitor comment was that I don't think Kobe would ever jump ship to go play with another player who is arguably better than him and Chris Bosh.

Peeps don't act like Kobe hasn't quit on his team before. Verb is exactly right. He was called out by numerous sports writers and athletes after that Phoenix series. He just passed the ball to whoever else was on the wing then stood ten feet behind the 3 pt. line to take himself out of the play. He acted like he wanted to prove that he was the most important person out there and that the other guys on the court couldn't do anything without him making it happen for them. He's an arrogant shithead and people with character don't root for arrogant shitheads.

Also about Lebron taking less money. I'm not sure he really did. I admit I didn't go do the math and figure out all the numbers but people forget Florida has no state income tax which is a huge difference when compared to New York or Chicago. I wonder if there is a difference money wise at all with what he would've made with the Knicks compared to his contract with the Heat and if so, he didn't sacrifice much. The Heat won't win the title this season anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:06 pm 

he took all that shit in the phnx series because media people called him out for being a ball hog and him not giving his teammates a chance to do anything. so he made it a point to pass every time. kobe is a shooting guard. not a point guard, not a passing guard and not a rebounding guard. hes a shooting guard. and he is easily the best at it since MJ.

i fucking hated kobe when he got shaq chased out of LA, but it turns out it was more buss than kobe. but you know what, even then i still knew he was the best in the league, no matter how much i hated him.

you guys who are saying he is not the best are simplying lying to yourselves at this point. its ok to hate someone and still think theyre the best, honestly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Peeps wrote:
he took all that shit in the phnx series because media people called him out for being a ball hog and him not giving his teammates a chance to do anything. so he made it a point to pass every time. kobe is a shooting guard. not a point guard, not a passing guard and not a rebounding guard. hes a shooting guard. and he is easily the best at it since MJ.

i fucking hated kobe when he got shaq chased out of LA, but it turns out it was more buss than kobe. but you know what, even then i still knew he was the best in the league, no matter how much i hated him.

you guys who are saying he is not the best are simplying lying to yourselves at this point. its ok to hate someone and still think theyre the best, honestly

no one ever said Kobe isn't a great player but he has proved time and time again over his career that he is maybe the biggest asshole in league history, which makes it impossible to root for him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:34 pm 

Veddar10 wrote:
Peeps wrote:

no one ever said Kobe isn't a great player but he has proved time and time again over his career that he is maybe the biggest asshole in league history, which makes it impossible to root for him.

really? without even thinking latrell spreewell comes to mind. and what did he do that you think hes the biggest asshole in league history?

wants to rip out phillys heart? - i love that from a competitive standpoint.
trade bynum? - at that point bynum was just happy to be in the league. $10 says if you ask bynum that he says that motivated him to take shit serious
extramarital affair? - if thats the case, hes only about the 5th biggest asshole in laker history, let alone the league

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:08 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Who cares if he's a jerk? So was MJ...

I can't stand Kobe but he is hands down the best player in the NBA right now and has been for most of the last decade.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:58 pm 
Supersonic

4/5 wrote:
Who cares if he's a jerk? So was MJ...

I can't stand Kobe but he is hands down the best player in the NBA right now and has been for most of the last decade.

Exactly how I see it....

Best players in NBA:
1. Kobe

2. L. James

3. Wade and everyone else....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:00 pm 

Yep. Except I'd switch Wade and Lebron. Sure, Bron is probably the most talented, but Kobe is easily the best player in the league and I'd take Wade over him as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:16 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

4/5 wrote:
Yep. Except I'd switch Wade and Lebron. Sure, Bron is probably the most talented, but Kobe is easily the best player in the league and I'd take Wade over him as well.

I would take Wade over both of them too. Kobe wasn't as effective as either of these two without talent around him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:58 am 

Veddar10 wrote:
4/5 wrote:

I would take Wade over both of them too. Kobe wasn't as effective as either of these two without talent around him.

i think 4/5 meant he would take kober over lebron and would take wade over lebron as well, but i dont want to speak completely for him (just how i read it)

Last edited by Peeps on Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:33 am 

Yeah.

Kobe>>>Wade>Lebron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:50 am 

4/5,

thank you for not ripping me a new one for that ungodly misspelled and un-understandable post i made

thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports