Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: I love the Astros, but....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:30 pm
Posts: 2689
I'm afraid we won't see a run like this again in the near future, at least not unless management loosens the purse strings. Baggy is my favorite player ever, followed closely by Biggio. Neither have alot of life left in them, and I fully expect, as much as it hurts, to see Baggy DH'ing in the American League in the near future. Beltran is gone, we can't afford him, the Rocket, probably won't make another run with the 'stros if the team loses too many good players. Kent has talked about retiring after this season. Will Pettite be the player he was for the Yankees, or did we miss his window of opportunity in these playoffs? Lots of questions, but it doesn't look good for next season. Please prove me wrong Drayton.
Baseball is over for me for this year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I love the Astros, but....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Camden Crew
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:59 am
Posts: 9057
Location: Camden, NJ
jayscott_ wrote:
I'm afraid we won't see a run like this again in the near future, at least not unless management loosens the purse strings. Baggy is my favorite player ever, followed closely by Biggio. Neither have alot of life left in them, and I fully expect, as much as it hurts, to see Baggy DH'ing in the American League in the near future. Beltran is gone, we can't afford him, the Rocket, probably won't make another run with the 'stros if the team loses too many good players. Kent has talked about retiring after this season. Will Pettite be the player he was for the Yankees, or did we miss his window of opportunity in these playoffs? Lots of questions, but it doesn't look good for next season. Please prove me wrong Drayton.
Baseball is over for me for this year.


it sucks when your team is in this situation....Clemens I would think is a loc kto come back. They let him show up to the games only when he pitches and he can do whatever he wishes....Pettite should return healthy too.

Are Bagwell and Biggio FA's? I always loved Biggio, wish he was a dodger in his prime. Maybe being one game away from a WS is enough to convince these guys to go one more round. As for Beltran, if he doesnt take the zillions from Steinbrenner, I think hed come back too. But he is a Boras baby, like my Beltre, and Boras is a fucking scum sucking satan.

Gotta respect the Stros, it was a good ride for them. Maybe 2005 can find a Dodgers/Astros NLCS!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I love the Astros, but....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:14 am
Posts: 8662
Location: IL
PJguy23 wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:
I'm afraid we won't see a run like this again in the near future, at least not unless management loosens the purse strings. Baggy is my favorite player ever, followed closely by Biggio. Neither have alot of life left in them, and I fully expect, as much as it hurts, to see Baggy DH'ing in the American League in the near future. Beltran is gone, we can't afford him, the Rocket, probably won't make another run with the 'stros if the team loses too many good players. Kent has talked about retiring after this season. Will Pettite be the player he was for the Yankees, or did we miss his window of opportunity in these playoffs? Lots of questions, but it doesn't look good for next season. Please prove me wrong Drayton.
Baseball is over for me for this year.


it sucks when your team is in this situation....Clemens I would think is a loc kto come back. They let him show up to the games only when he pitches and he can do whatever he wishes....Pettite should return healthy too.

Are Bagwell and Biggio FA's? I always loved Biggio, wish he was a dodger in his prime. Maybe being one game away from a WS is enough to convince these guys to go one more round. As for Beltran, if he doesnt take the zillions from Steinbrenner, I think hed come back too. But he is a Boras baby, like my Beltre, and Boras is a fucking scum sucking satan.

Gotta respect the Stros, it was a good ride for them. Maybe 2005 can find a Dodgers/Astros NLCS!


no way beltran comes back... he smelt it, and now he wants to go where he can win it... no offense houston fans, but that place is yankee stadium... clemens should give it another go, and bagwell, biggio, and berkman definitely have another year in them... you dont drop off from nlcs game 7 to nothing... not with those vets you dont...

problem?... the cubs are going to be tough next year, the cards will be back with or without renterria (hopefully without morris), and that's just the central division

looks like next year the three best may all be in teh same division... definitely a possibility


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I love the Astros, but....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:30 pm
Posts: 2689
pearljamminagain wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:
I'm afraid we won't see a run like this again in the near future, at least not unless management loosens the purse strings. Baggy is my favorite player ever, followed closely by Biggio. Neither have alot of life left in them, and I fully expect, as much as it hurts, to see Baggy DH'ing in the American League in the near future. Beltran is gone, we can't afford him, the Rocket, probably won't make another run with the 'stros if the team loses too many good players. Kent has talked about retiring after this season. Will Pettite be the player he was for the Yankees, or did we miss his window of opportunity in these playoffs? Lots of questions, but it doesn't look good for next season. Please prove me wrong Drayton.
Baseball is over for me for this year.


it sucks when your team is in this situation....Clemens I would think is a loc kto come back. They let him show up to the games only when he pitches and he can do whatever he wishes....Pettite should return healthy too.

Are Bagwell and Biggio FA's? I always loved Biggio, wish he was a dodger in his prime. Maybe being one game away from a WS is enough to convince these guys to go one more round. As for Beltran, if he doesnt take the zillions from Steinbrenner, I think hed come back too. But he is a Boras baby, like my Beltre, and Boras is a fucking scum sucking satan.

Gotta respect the Stros, it was a good ride for them. Maybe 2005 can find a Dodgers/Astros NLCS!


no way beltran comes back... he smelt it, and now he wants to go where he can win it... no offense houston fans, but that place is yankee stadium... clemens should give it another go, and bagwell, biggio, and berkman definitely have another year in them... you dont drop off from nlcs game 7 to nothing... not with those vets you dont...

problem?... the cubs are going to be tough next year, the cards will be back with or without renterria (hopefully without morris), and that's just the central division

looks like next year the three best may all be in teh same division... definitely a possibility


actually, in the days of free agency, its not that odd to drop off from NLCS to nothing.
What you've said is very comforting, I just wish it wasn't so incredibly wrong.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Camden Crew
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:59 am
Posts: 9057
Location: Camden, NJ
and maybe someday the Yankees will realize that All Star teams DONT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS

did the Yanks? NO
did the Lakers? NO

you can get all the Beltrans and Randy Johnsons out there, but unless all those egos are put aside to form a TEAM, like the Sox have, like LA had, like the Astros have....then the yanks wont win next year either.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:30 pm
Posts: 2689
PJguy23 wrote:
and maybe someday the Yankees will realize that All Star teams DONT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS

did the Yanks? NO
did the Lakers? NO

you can get all the Beltrans and Randy Johnsons out there, but unless all those egos are put aside to form a TEAM, like the Sox have, like LA had, like the Astros have....then the yanks wont win next year either.


The Yankees actually do win quite a few titles, as did the lakers. And its not like the sox didn't open up the checkbook either.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Camden Crew
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:59 am
Posts: 9057
Location: Camden, NJ
jayscott_ wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
and maybe someday the Yankees will realize that All Star teams DONT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS

did the Yanks? NO
did the Lakers? NO

you can get all the Beltrans and Randy Johnsons out there, but unless all those egos are put aside to form a TEAM, like the Sox have, like LA had, like the Astros have....then the yanks wont win next year either.


The Yankees actually do win quite a few titles, as did the lakers. And its not like the sox didn't open up the checkbook either.


Im talking about the 2004 versions of both teams. Both went out and got almost every top of the lsit FA available and still didnt win anything.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I love the Astros, but....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:14 am
Posts: 8662
Location: IL
jayscott_ wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:
I'm afraid we won't see a run like this again in the near future, at least not unless management loosens the purse strings. Baggy is my favorite player ever, followed closely by Biggio. Neither have alot of life left in them, and I fully expect, as much as it hurts, to see Baggy DH'ing in the American League in the near future. Beltran is gone, we can't afford him, the Rocket, probably won't make another run with the 'stros if the team loses too many good players. Kent has talked about retiring after this season. Will Pettite be the player he was for the Yankees, or did we miss his window of opportunity in these playoffs? Lots of questions, but it doesn't look good for next season. Please prove me wrong Drayton.
Baseball is over for me for this year.


it sucks when your team is in this situation....Clemens I would think is a loc kto come back. They let him show up to the games only when he pitches and he can do whatever he wishes....Pettite should return healthy too.

Are Bagwell and Biggio FA's? I always loved Biggio, wish he was a dodger in his prime. Maybe being one game away from a WS is enough to convince these guys to go one more round. As for Beltran, if he doesnt take the zillions from Steinbrenner, I think hed come back too. But he is a Boras baby, like my Beltre, and Boras is a fucking scum sucking satan.

Gotta respect the Stros, it was a good ride for them. Maybe 2005 can find a Dodgers/Astros NLCS!


no way beltran comes back... he smelt it, and now he wants to go where he can win it... no offense houston fans, but that place is yankee stadium... clemens should give it another go, and bagwell, biggio, and berkman definitely have another year in them... you dont drop off from nlcs game 7 to nothing... not with those vets you dont...

problem?... the cubs are going to be tough next year, the cards will be back with or without renterria (hopefully without morris), and that's just the central division

looks like next year the three best may all be in teh same division... definitely a possibility


actually, in the days of free agency, its not that odd to drop off from NLCS to nothing.
What you've said is very comforting, I just wish it wasn't so incredibly wrong.


well... you might be proven wrong (i know you want to be)... veterans have a lot of fight... and how much do you really think biggio and bagwell will drop off?... we'll see in '05


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I love the Astros, but....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:30 pm
Posts: 2689
pearljamminagain wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:
I'm afraid we won't see a run like this again in the near future, at least not unless management loosens the purse strings. Baggy is my favorite player ever, followed closely by Biggio. Neither have alot of life left in them, and I fully expect, as much as it hurts, to see Baggy DH'ing in the American League in the near future. Beltran is gone, we can't afford him, the Rocket, probably won't make another run with the 'stros if the team loses too many good players. Kent has talked about retiring after this season. Will Pettite be the player he was for the Yankees, or did we miss his window of opportunity in these playoffs? Lots of questions, but it doesn't look good for next season. Please prove me wrong Drayton.
Baseball is over for me for this year.


it sucks when your team is in this situation....Clemens I would think is a loc kto come back. They let him show up to the games only when he pitches and he can do whatever he wishes....Pettite should return healthy too.

Are Bagwell and Biggio FA's? I always loved Biggio, wish he was a dodger in his prime. Maybe being one game away from a WS is enough to convince these guys to go one more round. As for Beltran, if he doesnt take the zillions from Steinbrenner, I think hed come back too. But he is a Boras baby, like my Beltre, and Boras is a fucking scum sucking satan.

Gotta respect the Stros, it was a good ride for them. Maybe 2005 can find a Dodgers/Astros NLCS!


no way beltran comes back... he smelt it, and now he wants to go where he can win it... no offense houston fans, but that place is yankee stadium... clemens should give it another go, and bagwell, biggio, and berkman definitely have another year in them... you dont drop off from nlcs game 7 to nothing... not with those vets you dont...

problem?... the cubs are going to be tough next year, the cards will be back with or without renterria (hopefully without morris), and that's just the central division

looks like next year the three best may all be in teh same division... definitely a possibility


actually, in the days of free agency, its not that odd to drop off from NLCS to nothing.
What you've said is very comforting, I just wish it wasn't so incredibly wrong.


well... you might be proven wrong (i know you want to be)... veterans have a lot of fight... and how much do you really think biggio and bagwell will drop off?... we'll see in '05


I understand what you're saying, but Bagwell and Biggio weren't as huge a reason they were in this position this year as I wish they were. Beltran really revitalized that order when he arrived, he picked them up. They are still good players, and I hope they are Astros their entire career, but they just aren't marquee guys, talent wise, anymore.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I love the Astros, but....
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
Johnny Guitar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:26 am
Posts: 181
PJguy23 wrote:
I always loved Biggio, wish he was a dodger in his prime.


Ditto, I used to trade always trade for him in Ken Griffey Baseball...


You can't deny the run the 'stros had though. They did fucking awesome to get to where they got.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
Camden Crew
 Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:43 am
Posts: 18418
Location: Anytown, USA
Gender: Male
bump

_________________
stip wrote:
In five years, when you get laid and grow up, you should go back and read some of these posts and if you've turned into a decent person you'll realize how much of an asshole you sound like right now


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:05 pm
Posts: 622
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
I'm guessing they'll never have the umpires so far on their side again, either.

I think it's obvious that MLB wants new teams in the World Series.

_________________
original join date: 29 September 2002
darth_vedder wrote:
I hate Pearl Jam and the goddamn 10 club.

Ledbetterman10 wrote:
This place is a cesspool of douchbagery.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:02 pm
Posts: 1777
Location: Naperville, IL, USA Ten Club: 230xxx
Gender: Male
TortureFollowsReward wrote:
I'm guessing they'll never have the umpires so far on their side again, either.

I think it's obvious that MLB wants new teams in the World Series.


Hey look, there's that baseless accusation again!

Why exactly did LaRussa start jawing after that walk? None of those 4 pitches were even CLOSE.

_________________
Saw you at: 4/23/03, 6/13/03, 6/18/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/5/04, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, EV 8/22/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 10/31/09, 5/7/10, EV 6/28/11, 9/3/11, 9/4/11!

Me on Google+
Campaign For Liberty
Ludwig Von Mises Institute
antiwar.com


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:14 am
Posts: 8662
Location: IL
twoheadedboy wrote:
TortureFollowsReward wrote:
I'm guessing they'll never have the umpires so far on their side again, either.

I think it's obvious that MLB wants new teams in the World Series.


Hey look, there's that baseless accusation again!

Why exactly did LaRussa start jawing after that walk? None of those 4 pitches were even CLOSE.


LaRussa was obviously looking at the officiating as a whole...

not that i would expect a cubfan to understand the complexity that can be baseball though.... dont you have an "05-06 is the cubs year" thread to get started on somewhere?


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:22 am
Posts: 1603
Location: Buffalo
Did the ump really have to throw Edmonds out of the game? The pitch looked like a ball and he didn't swing. He didn't even looked like he argued that vehemently. Throwing him out in the 8th with 2 out in a 1 run game is harsh.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
not a big Gay guy
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:52 pm
Posts: 8552
pearljamminagain wrote:
twoheadedboy wrote:
TortureFollowsReward wrote:
I'm guessing they'll never have the umpires so far on their side again, either.

I think it's obvious that MLB wants new teams in the World Series.


Hey look, there's that baseless accusation again!

Why exactly did LaRussa start jawing after that walk? None of those 4 pitches were even CLOSE.


LaRussa was obviously looking at the officiating as a whole...

not that i would expect a cubfan to understand the complexity that can be baseball though.... dont you have an "05-06 is the cubs year" thread to get started on somewhere?

i finally figured out why this post is so puzzling to me. when do baseball seasons ever take place in multiple years?

_________________
i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:14 am
Posts: 8662
Location: IL
knuckles of frisco wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:
twoheadedboy wrote:
TortureFollowsReward wrote:
I'm guessing they'll never have the umpires so far on their side again, either.

I think it's obvious that MLB wants new teams in the World Series.


Hey look, there's that baseless accusation again!

Why exactly did LaRussa start jawing after that walk? None of those 4 pitches were even CLOSE.


LaRussa was obviously looking at the officiating as a whole...

not that i would expect a cubfan to understand the complexity that can be baseball though.... dont you have an "05-06 is the cubs year" thread to get started on somewhere?

i finally figured out why this post is so puzzling to me. when do baseball seasons ever take place in multiple years?


cant you tell im frustrated?.... not even making sense anymore

prick


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
not a big Gay guy
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:52 pm
Posts: 8552
"anymore"

:wink:

_________________
i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:14 am
Posts: 8662
Location: IL
knuckles of frisco wrote:
"anymore"

:wink:


:middlefinger:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I love the Astros, but....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
statistically insignificant
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 25134
OP just couldn't wait until 2016 is all

_________________
Fortuna69 wrote:
I will continue to not understand


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:46 am