Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:10 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

i got bugs wrote:
i fuckin hate mccarver

he drives me crazy

he is so blatantly anti-yankee and its bullshit

i feel like im listening to bobby heenan commentate when he used to stick up for the bad guys

Oh yeah, and the Yankees ARE the bad guys :lol:

Maclone's Musings (my nearly daily blog for the paper i write for)
http://capenews.net/blogs/maclones_musings/
Stop on by, everyone else is doing it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:45 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

rich wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
i fuckin hate mccarver

he drives me crazy

i feel like im listening to bobby heenan commentate when he used to stick up for the bad guys

It's funny you say this because all over the Boston area people are screaming abou how pro-Yankees McCarver is and how anti-Boston he is. What was the deal with his "that walk is as good as a home run" thing the other day. The last time I checked a homer was much better, but what do I know?

LOL. I don't know if it was McCarver or not, but one of them said that when Beltran walked. I guess they were implying that he he such an outstanding baserunner that if he makes it on base then he's probably going to score. So a homeurn equals a run scored and Betran on 1st base equals a run scored. Which in that particular case proved to be true. Betran stole 2nd,...stole 3rd,...and then scored on Edmonds throwing error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:26 pm 
Unthought Known

As a New Yorker with YES, I can vouch for the fact that Michael Kay is the worst fucking announcer in professional sports today. What a fucking imbecile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:19 pm 
Force of Nature

inadvertent imitation wrote:
As a New Yorker with YES, I can vouch for the fact that Michael Kay is the worst fucking announcer in professional sports today. What a fucking imbecile.

I'll vouch for that. A dog howling at the moon could do a better job than Michael Kay does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:15 pm 
Stone's Bitch

dotheevolukin wrote:
I miss the days when the MLB playoffs were on NBC and Bob Costas was at the healm. He is probably the best current announcer.

Plus, NBC did a better job of covering the games than FOX.

Damn FOX.

:!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:58 am 
Banned from the Pit

Sometimes we get Yankee games on the local CBS here in CT and I have to say Jim Kaat is TREMENDOUS. He barely has a Yankee bias (He played and until recently did color for the Twins), even thought that would be acceptable, and he does a great job at giving fans insight on the opposing team. Of course, I pay most attention when they are playing my Twins and Kaat may know a lot more about them than he does other teams. He was good with the Twins and I like him even better now.

I understand a bias in local coverage, but I hate guys that overdo it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:11 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

rich wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
i fuckin hate mccarver

he drives me crazy

Oh yeah, and the Yankees ARE the bad guys :lol:

i hate the Yankees, but I hate McCarver equally as much. he states the obvious or just makes stuff up. I remeber in the ALCS he said the pitcher put his gove on the ground during a poped up bunt attempt as signal to the catcher to let the ball drop to the ground. Turns out he slipped and fell down.

Along side Joe Buck who doesn't seem to know the rules of baseball, they are the worst.

Al Leiter makes good points, but doesn;t speak much.

I liked NBC's team of Costas and Morgan.

Al Michaels did well when ABC had baseball night in Americal, and the World Series.

i got to add the Deion Sanders water cooler on McCarver was classic. I need to find a clip of that somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:12 am 
Got Some

You're all failing to realize that Jon Miller is far and away the best baseball commentator in journalism today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:06 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

Auggiestyle wrote:
You're all failing to realize that Jon Miller is far and away the best baseball commentator in journalism today.

No I realize this. Angelos is an idiot for driving him out town after so many years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:02 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I want Jerry Remy back.

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:33 pm 
Got Some

Brain of Sam wrote:
rich wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
i fuckin hate mccarver

he drives me crazy

It's funny you say this because all over the Boston area people are screaming abou how pro-Yankees McCarver is and how anti-Boston he is. What was the deal with his "that walk is as good as a home run" thing the other day. The last time I checked a homer was much better, but what do I know?

LOL. I don't know if it was McCarver or not, but one of them said that when Beltran walked. I guess they were implying that he he such an outstanding baserunner that if he makes it on base then he's probably going to score. So a homeurn equals a run scored and Betran on 1st base equals a run scored. Which in that particular case proved to be true. Betran stole 2nd,...stole 3rd,...and then scored on Edmonds throwing error.

McCarver said a walk=a home run when Foulke walked Matsui in the 9th inning of game 6

anytime the national guys are calling the game fans think the announcers are against their team.

for me, it's whether or not Buck/McCarver add anything to the broadcast that I didn't already know on my own. usually Buck/McCarver don't but Al Leiter contributes alot of info, IMO

anyone is better than Joe Morgan

not to Mention McCarver played several years with the Cardinals and Joe Buck followed his dad as St. Louis's announcer at home games....i wonder who they want to win the World Series? :arrow:

i smell a conflict of interest here :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:26 am 
Got Some

little_secrets wrote:
for me, it's whether or not Buck/McCarver add anything to the broadcast that I didn't already know on my own. usually Buck/McCarver don't but Al Leiter contributes alot of info, IMO

I agree. Leiter was great. The World Series broadcast is definitely missing something after having him in the booth during the ALCS.

Quote:
not to Mention McCarver played several years with the Cardinals and Joe Buck followed his dad as St. Louis's announcer at home games....i wonder who they want to win the World Series? :arrow:

i smell a conflict of interest here :roll:

Well, of course no one is going to be perfectly unbiased. Everybody has a favorite team.

You know who Id like to see added as a third commentator for a playoff series or two? Bill James. I love that man. In fact, I'm gonna go start a Bill James thread right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:29 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

While I like Leiter, I dont think he did much for the braodcasts. Made some good points, but they just seem good because Tim McCARver is in the booth.

I agreee with a previous poster who said it sems like they gave him some sorta sheet to read stats from then comment on.

I think Leiter is crap-average as an annoucner. Seems like a nice guy tho.

I hope the Red Sox win. I've always liked them.

Post subject: Re: Joe Buck is apparently mildly retarded
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:11 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Joe Buck is much more than mildly retarded.

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:10 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Brain of Sam wrote:
suchpj wrote:
Listening to Mike and The Maddog today, they were discussing an article which appeared in the NY Times which was about mistakes Joe Buck has made recently in his on are commentary. The biggest of which was on several occasions, he was under the impression that a fly ball, which passes over the bag, is a fair ball, even if it landed in foul territory (as long as it didnt land in the stand). They were kind of sketchy with the details in the article, anyone hear this as well, or read the article?

I didn't read this but I watched the game where he said this. I was like WTF? I started to question it when neither of the other 2 commentators corrected him. I think right after he said it I said out loud "since when?".

Nevermind the fact that it would be almost impossible to measure that without the use of an overhead camera and instant replay.

Also, besides being one of my all-time favorite pitchers, I agree that Al Leiter is oretty damn good on commentary.

Darren Fletcher on the other hand... :shake:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:18 am 
BLOODY FKKN RED TEAM FAN

pearljamfan80 wrote:

Agreed. You all should catch a game Rod allen calls for the Tigers. He is unintentionally hilarious. Dude played like 8 games for the 1984 Tigers and acts like he's a HOF'er.

J88Ryan everywhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:43 pm 
a joke

J38ryan wrote:
pearljamfan80 wrote:

Agreed. You all should catch a game Rod allen calls for the Tigers. He is unintentionally hilarious. Dude played like 8 games for the 1984 Tigers and acts like he's a HOF'er.

You Sir Are Officially Kicked Out of Tiger Fandom for bashing rod allen.

NEVER. BASH. ROD. ALLEN.

"he was runnin like he stole something"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:46 pm 
BLOODY FKKN RED TEAM FAN

edzeppe wrote:
J38ryan wrote:
pearljamfan80 wrote:

NEVER. BASH. ROD. ALLEN.

I wasn't bashing him, I think he's awesome.

"Those are some baaaaaaaad Kittty cats!"

J88Ryan everywhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:54 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

J38ryan wrote:
edzeppe wrote:
J38ryan wrote:
pearljamfan80 wrote:

NEVER. BASH. ROD. ALLEN.

I wasn't bashing him, I think he's awesome.

"Those are some baaaaaaaad Kittty cats!"

His Wiki is great:

Quote:
Playing career

Allen was selected by the Chicago White Sox in the sixth round of the 1977 Major League Baseball Draft. He enjoyed a brief stint with the Seattle Mariners in 1983. He was 23 years old when he made his major league debut on April 7, 1983. He hit .296 in 27 at bats during a 15 game stint as an outfielder and designated hitter with the World Champion Detroit Tigers in 1984. He enjoyed another brief stint in the majors with the Cleveland Indians in 1988. Allen spent the last three years of his playing career with the Hiroshima Carp in Japan's Central League. He hit a pair of home runs against Seibu Lions in the 1991 Japan Series and set a Japanese regular season record with four home runs in four consecutive at bats during his time in the league. He is infamous for charging the mound after Kazuhiko Daimon from the Yokohama Taiyo Whales hit him in the back with a pitch, and subsequently chasing the pitcher across the entire field with both teams' benches in tow. The footage of him charging the mound can be seen here.

Although he is a big fan of the suicide squeeze, Rod never successfully completed one as a player.

and

Quote:
Idiosyncrasies

Allen is known to viewers for a variety of idiosyncrasies that liven up his announcing style. For example, he has a very distinctive high-pitched laugh that emerges at exciting moments during games. He also has a group of words and phrases that he uses often, e.g., "special," "nasty," "filthy," "partner," (pronounced "pahdnuh") "stellar," "he buggy-whipped that one", "that's a big league pitch," "elevated", "steady diet," "country strong," "he can play" and "without question." A common type of phrase that he would use during a game might be, "Mario, Bondo's got the filthy stuff today, pahdnuh," "he's serving him a steady diet of filthy breaking balls," or "Baseball is a humbling game pahdnuh." He will also often use his partner's name twice in the same sentence for emphasis. For example, "Mario, I think that Big Red just needs to get some of that fresh air of Tropicana Field, Mario." Another example would be "Mario did you work out today, Mario?" One of Allen's most popular phrases during the 2006 Tigers season was "There you Mr. Shelton!" in reference to Chris Shelton's power. Other favorite phrases include statements such as, "Get down with your bad self," after a home run is hit. Rod also like to refer to fastball as "a piece of cheese". He has been known to refer to Jeremy Bonderman's slider as "Mr. Snappy", Justin Verlander's fastball as "High Octane Cheese" and to Craig Monroe as "Baby Boy." When Joel Zumaya is on the mound, Allen may use commentary such as "it's just not fair" or "best arm in baseball." His playful commentary has led to the creation of the "Rod Allen Drinking Game", a tongue-in-cheek phenomenon among Tigers fans.

And just because I was unaware up until this very moment that it was Allen who was responsible for this classic moment:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:47 pm 
Supersonic

http://deadspin.com/5292467/watch-artie ... e=true&s=i

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports