Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: Report: Dykstra was juicing and gambling
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:59 pm 
Supersonic

Can't say I'm not surprised...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-steroids-dykstra&prov=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
Report: Lawsuit alleges Lenny Dykstra used steroids, gambled illegally

April 24, 2005
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Lenny Dykstra's longtime friend and business partner has accused the former Philadelphia Phillies center fielder of using steroids and gambling illegally during his baseball career in a civil lawsuit, according to a newspaper report.

Lindsay Jones, Dykstra's former partner in a lucrative car wash business, alleges the ballplayer advised him to bet thousands of dollars with a bookmaker on selected Phillies games in 1993, Dykstra's best year in the majors, the Los Angeles Times reported in Sunday editions.

Jones, who is seeking to regain interest in the car wash business, said in a sworn statement that the baseball wagers were a form of payment to him, made ``on the basis that Lenny would cover all losses, and I would use the winnings to live on.''

The lawsuit, filed last year in Ventura County Superior Court, is in binding arbitration and a decision is expected this week.

The suit also includes a sworn statement from a Florida bodybuilder and convicted drug dealer who said Dykstra paid him $20,000 plus ``special perks'' during their eight-year association to ``bulk up'' the once-slight ballplayer.

Baseball did not ban steroids until 2002, though the substances became illegal in 1991 unless prescribed by a physician.

The bodybuilder, Jeff Scott, told the Times in an interview that he injected Dykstra with steroids ``more times than I can count,'' and that Dykstra stepped up his steroid use in spring training of 1993 because it was a contract year.

That year, Dykstra led the National League in hits, walks and runs, nearly doubled his previous high in home runs, finished second to Barry Bonds for most valuable player and led Philadelphia to the World Series.

After the season, he signed a multiyear contract worth almost $25 million, making him baseball's highest-paid leadoff batter.

Dykstra's lawyer, Daniel Petrocelli, told the Times the three-time All-Star ``absolutely denies'' the gambling allegation, calling it ``unsubstantiated'' and ``a fabricated story from a disgruntled partner.''

Petrocelli, citing Scott's criminal past, also said the steroid allegation was not ``reliable or credible,'' and called the former bodybuilder ``biased and aligned with Jones.'' In the past, Dykstra has denied using steroids.

In his lawsuit, Jones cites Dykstra's alleged steroid use and gambling involvement as evidence of financial irresponsibility that endangers the car wash business, which paid Jones $167,000 in 2003. Dykstra fired Jones in September 2003, but Jones contends he still has a financial interest in the business.

Dykstra's lawyers say in court documents that Jones quit the three car washes after he was confronted about raiding cash registers, demanding kickbacks from contractors and using business funds to pay off his gambling debts.

Jones' attorney, Michael McCaffrey, declined comment to The Associated Press, citing a gag order.

Rich Levin, a spokesman for Major League Baseball, said Dykstra could be subject to a permanent ban from the game if an investigation found that he had advised baseball bets while playing. Baseball is not investigating Dykstra, Levin added, explaining that he has no current connection to baseball.

Dykstra, 42, retired in 1996 after a 12-year career with the Phillies and New York Mets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:02 pm 
Supersonic

I can't believe he's only 42.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:12 pm 
Camden Crew

Lenny, Lenny, Lenny......loved ya when you were here, but now........ :thumbsdown:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:33 pm 
Pork Chop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:43 pm 
Landry

I should spit on the 8 autographed pieces of memorabilia I have from Lenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:00 pm 
Force of Nature

Angels Tribe wrote:

say someone started lifting in '86, is 7 years enough time to put on this muscle mass without using steriods? if you're on a consistent workout program, 7 years seems like more than enough time to bulk up.

with that being said, i'm not at all suggesting that he didnt use steriods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:25 pm 
Unthought Known

the 1993 Phillies have long been suspected of being filled with guys on steroids.

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:43 pm 
Force of Nature

They put steroids in chew?

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:55 pm 
Got Some

"That year, Dykstra led the National League in hits, walks and runs, nearly doubled his previous high in home runs, finished second to Barry Bonds for most valuable player and led Philadelphia to the World Series. "

No matter what, Barry always gets the best juice.

Seriously, that sucks. I'm a die hard Mets fan and Lenny's one of my all time faves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:35 am 
Force of Nature

hey at least 1 Philly sports hero isnt on the juice!
6'0, 160 lbs (yea right)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:52 am 
Administrator

Purple Hawk wrote:
They put steroids in chew?

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:11 am 
Landry

no riot code wrote:
hey at least 1 Philly sports hero isnt on the juice!
6'0, 160 lbs (yea right)

Since when is Nails a Philly sports hero? I mean, he was really good, but not for that long in Philly... Mike Schmidt is a Philly sports hero... Dr. J is a Philly sports hero... Lenny is just a little dude that wore those weird London Fog berets too much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:56 am 
Camden Crew

anyone from philly remember that big black spot on the turf in centerfield where he used to spit? :lol:

say what you want about that '93 team, but that year is burned onto my brain....god it was great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:58 am 
Supersonic

Cal Varnsen wrote:
anyone from philly remember that big black spot on the turf in centerfield where he used to spit? :lol:

say what you want about that '93 team, but that year is burned onto my brain....god it was great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:59 am 
King David The Wicked

Cal Varnsen wrote:

yeah, it really was:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:00 am 
King David The Wicked

goddamnit, phil...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:02 am 
Supersonic

davo15 wrote:
goddamnit, phil...

Hey, anyone says anything about 1993 and I will reply right away.

One of the greatest moments in sports history. I find it's kind of unrecognized because it was in Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:03 am 
Camden Crew

i really don't care that they lost, it was a great year, especially since they were picked to finish last in the division.

the Blue Jays were hands down the better team and I give them all the credit in the world. (paul molitor is the man!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:03 am 
King David The Wicked

PhilPritchard wrote:

One of the greatest moments in sports history. I find it's kind of unrecognized because it was in Canada.

and?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:05 am 
Supersonic

davo15 wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:

and?

That's all.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports