Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:48 pm 
Stone's Bitch

GrimmaceXX wrote:
Iverson is a piece of shit I would clean off the bottom of my shoe..... come to think of it, most players in the NBA are the same way. This incident just brought to light what the NBA has come to in recent years... pure shit.

What has happend in the last few years that made the NBA pure shit? I think you are pure shit. What has AI done to anybody in the last few years? If anything the NBA has cleaned up. The last major bad thing that happend in the NBA was the Sprewell incident and he came back from that with no problems at all. The NBA fan base is growing higher and higher every year. If you dont like the NBA or it's players, dont watch it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:58 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

The Fresh Prince wrote:
GrimmaceXX wrote:
Iverson is a piece of shit I would clean off the bottom of my shoe..... come to think of it, most players in the NBA are the same way. This incident just brought to light what the NBA has come to in recent years... pure shit.

What has happend in the last few years that made the NBA pure shit? I think you are pure shit. What has AI done to anybody in the last few years? If anything the NBA has cleaned up. The last major bad thing that happend in the NBA was the Sprewell incident and he came back from that with no problems at all. The NBA fan base is growing higher and higher every year. If you dont like the NBA or it's players, dont watch it.

I don't........ please come back NHL

Panties aren't the best thing in the world but they are the closest thing to it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:52 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

GrimmaceXX wrote:
The Fresh Prince wrote:
GrimmaceXX wrote:

I don't........ please come back NHL
nhl....now thats a piece of shit that know one ever watches :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:19 pm 
Johnny Guitar

The NHL/ hockey is still the purest major team sport there is. Especially in the playoffs. I am glad that the NHL failed in the Sun Belt. Once they figure out a system to fix their expansion down south, the NHL will be great. Outside a few top programs, NCAA Basketball is pure too.

The American public prefers the NBA... but if I followed what the American public liked, I would be posting in the Britney Spears "Oops I did it again" board after I waited in line at 2AM at a best buy the day after thanksgiving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:57 pm 
Johnny Guitar

[quote="May Day 10"] Once they figure out a system to fix their expansion down south, the NHL will be great. quote]

It may be great, but who will watch it, nobody even misses and many people dont even realize they are on strike. How great could it be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:06 pm 
Stone's Bitch

walshmg wrote:
It may be great, but who will watch it, nobody even misses and many people dont even realize they are on strike. How great could it be.

I have tried to like the NHL but I cant stay with it. I always get caught up in basketball and football. NCAA, NFL, and the NBA are hard enough to keep up with in the winter, so why the hell would I add hockey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:23 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

The Fresh Prince wrote:
walshmg wrote:

I have tried to like the NHL but I cant stay with it. I always get caught up in basketball and football. NCAA, NFL, and the NBA are hard enough to keep up with in the winter, so why the hell would I add hockey?
ditto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:13 am 
In a van down by the river

walshmg wrote:

ive seen you make some ignorant ignorant statements on this board, this is right up there

wow, so you and your friends dont watch it, so nobody watches it. brilliant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:47 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

Peeps wrote:
walshmg wrote:

ive seen you make some ignorant ignorant statements on this board, this is right up there

well the same came be said for all u guys that hate the nba. if u dont like it dont watch it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:57 pm 
Johnny Guitar

The NBA/NHL argument is as deeply rooted and impossible for anybody to win as the Yankees/Red Sox or Bush/Kerry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:33 pm 

lunkin wrote:
well the same came be said for all u guys that hate the nba. if u dont like it dont watch it.

so tell me einstein, where have i have ever said i hated the NBA to be included in the "u guys"

and ive never seen anyone say, the nba, nobody even watches it or notices that its gone, either, so if someone hates the nba, thats their right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:26 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I can't believe this thread is still going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:59 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Peeps wrote:
walshmg wrote:

I didnt say myself or my friends dont watch it, or that nobody watches it, try reading the statement. I said who will watch it. Just look at the ratings for the NHL the past couple years, its falling off the map. I have talked to many peolple who do not even realize they are not playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:13 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I love hockey. I hate the NBA. I am in a dilemma. No hockey and plenty of poopsketball to go around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:36 pm 

walshmg wrote:
Peeps wrote:
walshmg wrote:

I didnt say myself or my friends dont watch it, or that nobody watches it, try reading the statement. I said who will watch it. Just look at the ratings for the NHL the past couple years, its falling off the map. I have talked to many peolple who do not even realize they are not playing.

you said nobody even misses it, again, very very ignorant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:27 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

By Phil Sheridan

Inquirer Columnist

Beer is good.

Beer doesn't throw itself into anyone's face. It doesn't pour itself down your throat until you lose control. Beer doesn't get into your car and drive recklessly.

So why, when a bunch of grown men act like idiots, do people start talking about banning beer? The real answer is that it's easier to blame some inanimate object than the real culprit, which is the dark side of human nature.

A week after the big brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills, there have been roughly 3.8 million media references to "beer muscles" and "beer bravado," plus an equal number of calls for banning alcohol sales at sporting events.

Here's the logic: One jerk in suburban Detroit throws a cup, so the thousands of people who enjoy a cold beer or two at sporting events should do without. Furthermore, those people should be labeled "drunks" because they engaged in the despicable act of consuming a cold brew?

There's a word for this kind of thinking:

Stupid.

Beer-drinking is older than either Christianity or democracy. Not only is it civilized, it may be at the very foundation of civilization. One theory has it that ancient nomadic tribes settled down primarily to be near the barley required for beer-making.

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were brewers when they weren't busy founding your nation. As that noted social commentator Otter said in Animal House, we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

Beer can't defend itself, so it's up to the clearheaded beer drinkers among us.

Let's start with the men in the basketball uniforms. Presumably, Ben Wallace was stone cold sober when he tried to put his hands through Ron Artest's esophagus, then stormed across the court with mayhem in his eyes. We can safely assume that Artest was beer-free when fouled Wallace and when he decided to lie down on the scorer's table like some dinner-theater Ophelia.

Artest was still sober when he ran into the stands like a maniac, and Stephen Jackson was just as sober, if twice the maniac.

Now look at the other side of the battlefield. The cup that landed on Artest appeared to have ice in it. So chances are, the cup that triggered the brawl was filled with soda or some other soft drink.

So let's ban Coca-Cola at sporting events. Makes sense, right? All that sugar and caffeine in the systems of irresponsible fans - that's a recipe for disaster. Later in the fight, a woman is clearly shown throwing a soda bottle at the Pacers as they leave the court. Case closed.

They were throwing popcorn, too. Did you see that? One unpopped kernel could put a person's eye out. There is no way rowdy sports fans should be trusted with such a dangerous substance.

Same with chairs. From now on, the fans stand. Period. It's for their own safety.

You get the idea.

Obviously, there are people who drink too much and disrupt all kinds of social situations, including sporting events. They are a problem, and no one is making light of the very serious issue of alcoholism.

But it's also true that for every one of those problem drinkers, there are hundreds of people in the stands who can have a beer or two without turning into Mr. Hyde.

Some people are loud and obnoxious without taking a sip of alcohol. What's the solution to that problem?

There is no evidence the people involved in the main fight at the Palace were drunk. None. It's doubtful a drunk person could throw a cup as accurately as that cup was thrown. Watch the video 100 times (and we're all close by now, right?) and there's nothing to indicate the fans in the lower-level seats were drunk. They're just standing there until the sloppily sober Artest and Jackson arrive.

For the sake of argument, let's say the NBA decides to ban beer concessions at games. They're not going to stop serving alcohol in luxury suites or club seats. They've already sold those seats, and alcohol is part of the package. Any ban would affect only the regular fans, the underappreciated majority who provide the real financial foundation of the league.

Great idea. Especially since the entire ruckus in Auburn Hills took place in the expensive seats where the fans get their drinks brought to them by waitresses. Sorry, but widening the divide between the true fans and the pampered VIPs is not going to improve anything.

Stop selling beer in the venues and people will drink more of it before they come in. The most drunk and disorderly fans in pro sports are the ones who get hammered while tailgating before NFL games. You would have to try pretty hard to get out-of-control drunk drinking beer during a two-hour NBA game.

It is possible to overanalyze things. Artest has a long history of irrational behavior and violence. He behaved in an irrational and violent way last week. There's no mystery here, no need to examine every facet of society. There's surely no reason to deprive millions of normal, decent fans of one of their basic pleasures.

Artest got suspended for most of one season, but otherwise reasonable people are talking about banning beer forever. In the words of Don King, who would have enjoyed last week's game: Only in America.

Leave beer out of it. Beer did nothing wrong.

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:57 am 
Stone's Bitch

Clubber wrote:
By Phil Sheridan

Inquirer Columnist

Beer is good.

Beer doesn't throw itself into anyone's face. It doesn't pour itself down your throat until you lose control. Beer doesn't get into your car and drive recklessly.

This is as far as I got until I lost all respect for this guy.

Its not beers fault that millions of people have died due to drunk drivers?

Its not beers fault that young children are neglected and beat everday by their parents because the parents are too worried about getting their next drink?

Maybe this guy will understand when one of his family members gets killed by a drunk driver leaving a game. Actully, he would be lucky if only one person died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:03 am 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Quote:

No, it's not. It's the persons fault for being stupid and driving drunk

Quote:
Its not beers fault that young children are neglected and beat everday by their parents because the parents are too worried about getting their next drink?

Nope...it's the parents fault.

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:19 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Clubber wrote:
Quote:

No, it's not. It's the persons fault for being stupid and driving drunk

Quote:

Nope...it's the parents fault.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to blame a liquid for anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:10 am 
Stone's Bitch

Beer should be banned from the shelves of every store. It destroys peoples lives. You can say it's the consumers fault all you want, but that wont bring the lost lives back. I cant think of any other thing that destroys the lives of so many people on a daily bases and the American government doesnt give a shit because they still get their money.

Think of all the dumb things you or someone else has done because they were drunk. Its sad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports