Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Manny "The Pacman" Pacquiao (Boxing)
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:41 pm 
Got Some

shades-go-down wrote:
rafa_garcia18 wrote:

about hatton, he just forgot whatever cautionary/defense moves mayweather may have taught him. he thought he could just wrestle his way in and do his thing. it worked for like 20 seconds.

Exactly. What the hell was the point of training with Floyd Snr if you're just going to go in hell for leather like a ding bat.

I wish they interviewed Floyd Sr. because he probably would have said this even more colorfullly. Hatton basically reverted back to his old self about 30 seconds into the fight.

Floyd wouldn't fight Margarito due to "money", so it wouldn't be the first time he ducked a fighter.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:15 pm 
Got Some

Wow! It's the morning after and I still haven't gotten over how this fight went.

:o

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:53 pm 
Got Some

Quote:
Marquez Promising a Mexican War With Mayweather
Posted by: Mark Vester on 05-11-2009.

By Mark Vester

WBA/WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez plans to rise to the occassion when he challenges Floyd Mayweather Jr. on July 18 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. For may years Marquez has been waiting for a fight to make his career stand out, and he says a win over Mayweather will put him ahead of the pack and force a third meeting with Manny Pacquiao.

"I know Floyd's style. He is a great boxing and undefeated but I've never had the opportunity [to fight him]. I invite everyone to see the fight on July 18. I am going to prepare very well and rise to the occassion," Marquez said to The Record.

"I am going to give the very best of myself. Everyone knows that I put everything on the line, and that I rise to the occassion. That's what I'm going to do. I want the victory here. It's not important that I'm the betting underdog. What is, and has always been important, is proving everyone wrong and this time will be no exception."

Marquez says the he took the fight to become the best boxer in the world. His dream is to become the number one pound-for-pound fighter in boxing.

"My dream is to be the best and to do that I have to face the best. Pacquiao does not want anything to do with me, so I decided to fight the best and that is Floyd Mayweather," Marquez said.

tis gonna be a good fight. im rooting for Marquez.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:34 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

i'm liking marquez's chances more and more as time goes by. mainly because he's better than pretty much anyone mayweather has beaten. plus, marquez is gonna be way hungrier and motivated than floyd, who may not prepare enough after his long absence, and may underrate marquez.

plus, floyd doesn't have the killer/warrior instinct and guts of marquez.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:02 pm 
Got Some

I think the fact here is that another Pacquiao-Marquez fight would be a lot more exciting to watch than Pacquaio-Mayweather. Though the latter would prolly make more money even if Marquez beats Mayweather.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:20 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

i would find either fight very appealing. pac-marquez so that their business was settled once and for all, plus their first two have been incredible fights. imo, pacman won the first one, and marquez the second one.

pac-floyd would be awesome too because i would love to see this improved/prime pacquiao hunt down floyd's ass and give him hell.

the fight with marquez would be a lot easier to arrange, since marquez is just dying to get on the ring again with pacman. the negotiations between floyd and paquiao would be a bitch. the only fair way to split the cash would be the obvious 50/50, but i don't see either of them agreeing to this, much less taking less money than the other. arum is already asking for 60-65% for paquiao, which is nuts because he knows floyd would never agree to that.

if cotto beats clottey, it would be very easy for either floyd or pacman to want to fight him instead of each other, since cotto would more than likely be willing to fight for less than 50% against either of them.

i've got a feeling mosley is going to remain on the sidelines for a while. his only feasible fight is to take a rematch with cotto. this considering there's high risk/low reward in fighting shane for both floyd and pacman. cotto is more of a draw moneywise than shane.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:11 pm 
Got Some

i can't wait for the 24/7s to start for Mayweather/Marquez. I'm interested to see how Marquez trains in the mountains plus since Junior & Senior are back together...it's gonna be quite entertaining.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:40 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
i can't wait for the 24/7s to start for Mayweather/Marquez. I'm interested to see how Marquez trains in the mountains plus since Junior & Senior are back together...it's gonna be quite entertaining.

yeah, it should be fun. i wish mayweather sr was a member of my family or something. he seems to be a lot of fun to be around :lol:

however, after the last couple of 24/7s, for dlh/pac and hatton/pac, i'm starting to see it more as only a promotional tool than a real "documentary" (which is what hbo sells it as). it's very well done, and they put some awesome training sequences, and the narrator gets you all pumped up (the ending of the last hatton/pac episode was epic), but you can't really hope to draw any realist conclusions from what you see on 24/7. it's waaay too selective in what it shows.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:20 pm 
Got Some

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-box ... 6572.story

Possible Pacquiao-Cotto fight on November 14th.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:38 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

... and of course marquez/floyd is off (or postponed at the very least). this pisses me right off. i was going to be there :x

no self-respecting welter should agree to fighting pac at a catchweight. he wants the glory without the risk, so fuck that. if it's at 147 pounds, pac-cotto (or mosley for that matter) should be awesome. otherwise, manny beats senseless some drained version of them, like he did de la hoya.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:02 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

looks like freddie roach ok'ed pacman-cotto at 145. they need to sign that fight asap.

hopefully cotto will finally present something of a challenge to this freak of nature.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:03 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

mayweather - marquez has officially been rescheduled for mexican independence weekend - sep 19

for all 2-3 guys from rm who may be interested - there's a huge ass torrent on demonoid with a bunch of awesome fights, for those who want to see some grade-a boxing matches of the past. just search boxing, pacquiao, cotto, mayweather, etc to find the torrent.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:57 pm 
Got Some

I can't believe Victor Ortiz quit last night. And then after the fight said, he'd rather quit than go out on his back. WTF? That's you're paid to do dumbass. You think anyone is going to want to fight you knowing you're going to quit before you get KO'd? I only wish they turned the mics on so we could hear what Shane Mosely and Oscar were saying to him after the fight. It didn't look like they were too happy. So much for him being the next great American fighter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:53 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

shinkdew wrote:
I can't believe Victor Ortiz quit last night. And then after the fight said, he'd rather quit than go out on his back. WTF? That's you're paid to do dumbass. You think anyone is going to want to fight you knowing you're going to quit before you get KO'd? I only wish they turned the mics on so we could hear what Shane Mosely and Oscar were saying to him after the fight. It didn't look like they were too happy. So much for him being the next great American fighter.

yeah, it definitely was a bitch move. vicious my ass...

every fighter needs to go through shit like that and prove himself, specially if you have a style that barely considers defense. look at cotto's last outing. his cut was major, and definitely kept him from fighting at his best, but he did what he could and finished the fight.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:37 am 
Former PJ Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:21 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

it's official: cotto-pacquiao at 145 pounds nov 14

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:56 pm 
Got Some

rafa_garcia18 wrote:

great video.

im feeling it again. that excitement and this time two big fights to be excited about...mayweather-marquez and pacquiao-cotto.

i cant wait.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:40 pm 
Got Some

how cool is it that this is gonna be a historic fight and the press tour starts off in historic NYC...in the new Yankee Stadium...with Cotto and Pacquiao wearing Yankee jerseys?

Just EPIC, Man.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:08 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

so reading through the first page of this thread; why does everyone make such a big deal about weight in boxing? i mean, i understand, more power with more weight, but does 10 lbs really make THAT much of a difference in a purely striking sport? i understand that at lower weights, it's a greater proportion, but still... it's sort of odd in boxing, though, how many weight classes there are up to 175. then there are only two.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:14 pm 
Got Some

dkfan9 wrote:
so reading through the first page of this thread; why does everyone make such a big deal about weight in boxing? i mean, i understand, more power with more weight, but does 10 lbs really make THAT much of a difference in a purely striking sport? i understand that at lower weights, it's a greater proportion, but still... it's sort of odd in boxing, though, how many weight classes there are up to 175. then there are only two.

boxing loves to sell itself...everything they can think of that can create more drama they will use.
the sweet science has gone pretty far in understanding what it takes for a fighter to know their body. they are so finely tuned that it does matter when it comes to the technical stuff.
but when it comes down to it...its just those two guys in the ring.
the thing that matters the most is the heart and the will to win...

...and...

good taste in music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 44  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports