Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Manny "The Pacman" Pacquiao (Boxing)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:33 am 
Got Some

Owl_Farmer wrote:
It's amazing how ok Manny was with the whole losing thing. Maybe it's his religious rebirth, or maybe it's because as long as you get a rematch and another few dozen million in the bank, who cares about losing, right? Not to mention the fringe benefit of avoiding the Floyd fight.

Sickening. Fuck you, Arum.

He doesn't care because everyone knows he won. It'll have no effect on a potential Floyd other than maybe less money for Manny. If anything it could make it easier to make that fight, the only hitch now is the money split.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 pm 
Got Some

I bet Juan Manuel Marquez didnt get too much sleep last night...due to disbelief and extreme anger.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:43 pm 
Force of Nature

I had pac 116-112 for jmm 3 but i did have pac losing the second fight and winning the first so instead of 2-0-1 i have it 2-1-0. Last night was a scam. I almost went to vegas for this fight. There was talk of pac fighting whomever in nov. would be his last fight so I decided to go to that instead. It's hard for me to believe pac knew the fix was on but i think as soon as he heard the judges scorecards he knew what arum did. I should have called him out on it. no one could ever thing bradley won that fight. I actually liked bradley but not any more. if he had any boxing cred he would have left that belt in the ring. you have to bascially knock out or win every round to get a decision against any champ to win. I had bradley winning 1 round, and i can understand maybe the second. I'm glad Klitchkio is fighting in NYC Nov 10. Im going to that instead. This is a hard day, boxing is my fav sport and to me now it is as scripted as wwf.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:31 pm 
alot of $$$

I'm not a big boxing fan but I refuse to pay/watch the rematch. Truth is, this fight was boring and one sided. Who would want to see a rematch?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:19 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

It's obvious Manny was in on it. He could've taken Bradley out, but he chose not to. He fought only about 1 minute per round and that was still enough for him (Manny) to win at least 10 rounds. He was giving Bradley a chance to be competitive to make it seem close and justify those ridiculous scorecards, but it was nowhere near close.

I disagree, shinkdew. By "losing", Manny and Arum just gave more ammo to Floyd for him to demand over 50% of the money, and Manny/Arum will never agree to that. So how is that fight supposed to happen now? It won't, Manny/Arum found a way to make sure it doesn't and they executed it last night.

I don't blame you, Matt. I was watching last night with some casual fans and they were shocked. I'm pretty sure they won't come out to watch the next big fight either. Boring fight + ridiculous "judging" = frustrating Saturday night.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:34 pm 
Force of Nature

i don't think manny was in on it. but from his look, he wasnt surprised. i think he suspected something. It's his fault for not going for the KO. Arum ownes him and he knows it. fuck november. let his contract expire and then he's on his own. fight floyd and take his belt. if he doesnt do that then he should never fight again. he is a HOF. hagler got f'ed in the sugar ray fight and he walked away and said i won't let these bums make another Dollar off me. Pac's got money. he just made millions to not get hit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:52 pm 
alot of $$$

I had $250 on Bradley +340 and feel bad even cashing the ticket. I was about to walk out of my friends house during the 12th round but my brother wanted to stay till the end.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:14 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

I've had a few days to think about this so wanted to type out my thoughts. I'm a big fan of Pacquiao, but I bet Bradley @ +310. When I talked to a few friends that are into boxing during the day before the fight I said I thought Manny was the better fighter but I would not be shocked if Bradley beat him in a decision. On to the fight...

I thought the first round was close, but Manny was feeling him out. I gave it to Bradley because I thought he was busier, landed better shots and was more aggressive. By round 4 I could see that Manny was clearly the much better fighter and knew he had this guy beat easily. I thought he won 2-9. I thought it was pretty clear that Bradley won 10. 11 and 12 were throw away rounds for both guys. I had Manny winning both. I had it 10-2 Manny. If you want to be generous you can give Bradley 1-10-11-12 and even throw in 2 or 8 if you REALLY want to be generous. Thats still 7-5 Manny. There is no way in hell that anyone who watched that fight can think Bradley was the better fighter or outboxed Manny in that fight.

Manny clearly had more power, more speed and blocked more shots, he was clearly the superior boxer by a lot. That said this isn't the same Manny that beat the tar out of Cotto and Margarito and would land 5-6 shots at a time from all angles. He seems to throw 2-3 shots and get out of there or get tied up now. Thats one thing Bradley did well was get out of the way of big hooks and tie things up when Manny was throwing flurries.

It did bother me that Manny didn't attack the last 3 rounds. I really thought he was going to knock Bradley out and he backed off. He was still the fighter moving forward most of the time, as Bradley was retreating whenever Manny got close. Manny never got aggressive and really went after him. I think he knew he outclassed Bradley and just let it go to the scorecards. Thats my biggest gripe about boxing in these big time fights. Lots of fighters seem to be content with doing just enough to outpoint their opponent and don't go all out. You can see when fighters are giving everything they have out there and when others are holding back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:17 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

...and as bad as that decision was it wasn't as bad as Williams vs Lara last year. There was another last year that was brutal that I forget, I remember judges being suspended for it though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:29 pm 
alot of $$$

jimmac24 wrote:
...and as bad as that decision was it wasn't as bad as Williams vs Lara last year. There was another last year that was brutal that I forget, I remember judges being suspended for it though.

It's a bigger deal because I (and the vast majority of PPV buyers) have no clue who Williams or Lara are.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:51 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

given2trade wrote:
jimmac24 wrote:

It's a bigger deal because I (and the vast majority of PPV buyers) have no clue who Williams or Lara are.

Williams was a great fighter who beat some pretty good fighters and won a brutal fight with Sergio Martinez in 2009. In the rematch he got knocked out by a brutal punch.

http://youtu.be/w3leRDXrbrs

He was contemplating retiring, but came back and fought this dude Lara, a much smaller fighter. He was supposed to win, a big favorite. This dude kicked his ass so badly in the fight that the announcers had suggested that Williams' corner stop the fight on more than one occasion. They were talking about how Williams looked like he didn't want to be there, and that he should retire because of how bad he looked. His corner told him before the last round "you have to knock this guy out to win". That actually is the fight where all 3 judges were suspended indefinitely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:48 pm 
Got Some

Manny definitely was in on it...the punches were real but he did hold back instead of finishing him when he had plenty of chances.

Manny won the fight...everyone who watched it knows that so it didnt really matter if the judges decided bradley won. EVERYONE KNOWS Manny won so he basically did win.

There was no chance Floyd was going to fight Manny in November anyway so might as well keep him busy.

In the end...it is ALWAYS about the money.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:57 pm 
Fuck Sharks

This is why the UFC motto is "Never leave it in the judges hands..."

Boxing is dead.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:05 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
Manny definitely was in on it...the punches were real but he did hold back instead of finishing him when he had plenty of chances.

Manny won the fight...everyone who watched it knows that so it didnt really matter if the judges decided bradley won. EVERYONE KNOWS Manny won so he basically did win.

There was no chance Floyd was going to fight Manny in November anyway so might as well keep him busy.

In the end...it is ALWAYS about the money.

This is a really good article both about the fight and about the possible "fix".
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8036150/a-ringside-account-controversial-fight-manny-pacquiao-timothy-bradley-jr

Manny definitely held back, but was it because he thought he was up big or because he was in on something?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:54 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

That's a great read, jimmac. Thanks for sharing.

I'd like to think this one's good too: http://www.bestboxingblog.com/?p=4027

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:26 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

Very interesting, I did find it very weird that I looked at the odds around 8 and they were +350 for Bradley, and a half hour later when I went to bet it they were down to +310. Someone was in the know because the odds were originally +400.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:14 pm 
Got Some

:haha:

Quote:
Floyd Mayweather seeks release
Updated: June 12, 2012, 12:27 PM ET
Associated Press

LAS VEGAS -- Lawyers for Floyd Mayweather Jr. say the undefeated champion boxer may never fight again if he's not released from the Las Vegas jail he entered earlier this month.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports Mayweather's lawyers filed an emergency motion Monday asking that he serve the remainder of his three-month sentence under house arrest.

Lawyer Richard Wright says Mayweather's health is deteriorating by being confined to his cell 23 hours a day and restricted from working out. Jailers are keeping him from the general inmate population because of his celebrity status.

The motion says the boxer's doctor believes the conditions could do irreversible damage to Mayweather's physique.

Jail officials weren't immediately available for comment.

Mayweather was booked June 1 for attacking his ex-girlfriend while two of their children watched.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:27 pm 
alot of $$$

yah thats just awesome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:38 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Haha. What a pussy. He hasn't even made it through two weeks.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 pm 
Got Some

Here's another good article about the debacle...

Some good suggestions for the sport...

I found it an interesting idea to put sensors in the gloves to measure power and speed.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/commentary/8041745/espnw-boxing-clean-die

About Floyd...for someone as fine tuned as him...that does have some merit. He shouldn't have beat his ex-gf though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports