Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: AFL (Aussie rules)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:27 am 
Unthought Known

ok , i will stay.....

it looks like my prediction from weeks ago is going ahead, pick 3,20, Kennedy for Judd, Apparently Kennedy doesn't want to go, in recent times an opportunity to leave Carlton would be similar to Christmas, so go figure.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:44 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

clint72 wrote:
ok , i will stay.....

:thumbsup: Glad to hear it my Taswegian friend!

As far as "The Trade" goes...hmmm, this situation seems to be taking a turn for the better.

:D

Mind you, what happens if Kennedy gets homesick 5 games in???... I'm willing to risk it.

The beauty about being an Eagles fan is that we'll always have big Cox...

Remembered to ask dude that I hung with most of party night if he had any idea why I had a large (fist-sized) purple bruise on my chest. He said he remembers "OW!" but that's it. Guess I'll never know.

Trades.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:32 am 
Unthought Known

Kennedy is from Western Australia :thumbsup: Big Cox is the best ruckman ever potentially.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:25 am 
Spaceman

clint72 wrote:
Big Cox is the best ruckman ever potentially.

whoa, hold your horses mate. you think he's better than polly farmer?

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:12 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

sirav wrote:
Mind you, what happens if Kennedy gets homesick 5 games in???... I'm willing to risk it.

clint72 wrote:
Kennedy is from Western Australia :thumbsup:

:oops:

Remembered to ask dude that I hung with most of party night if he had any idea why I had a large (fist-sized) purple bruise on my chest. He said he remembers "OW!" but that's it. Guess I'll never know.

Trades.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:22 am 
Unthought Known

vacatetheword wrote:
clint72 wrote:
Big Cox is the best ruckman ever potentially.

whoa, hold your horses mate. you think he's better than polly farmer?

potentially

Cox's ball handling skills are amazing for a ruckman, farmer introduced the handball to a new level but Cox's ability to play as a 'midfielder' with his foot skills is unsurpased by a big man. Obviously it is hard to compare eras.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:21 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Fully agree with you on Cox's potential Clint. I've watched him all year and he is an amazing ball handler.

This clip below isn't so much about ball handling, but how agile is the guy?

Trades.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:08 pm 
a saucerful of secrets

So, what do you guys think about the GAA wanting the AFL teams who snatch the young talent from here to compensate the GAA clubs they come from?

You talkin to me?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:23 pm 
Spaceman

brainofpea wrote:
So, what do you guys think about the GAA wanting the AFL teams who snatch the young talent from here to compensate the GAA clubs they come from?

hadn't heard about it. interesting concept. i'm not all that familiar with the GAA but i think it's an amateur comp, or at least probably isn't that cashed up? it would be nice for the clubs here that can afford it to chip in, but i would suggest on a voluntary basis.

in any case, we'll only do it on the proviso that your blokes quit your bitching and bring back the international rules series :wink:

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:51 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

brainofpea wrote:

I would think that the GAA have a responsibility to protect their competition. If players are interested in making the move to AFL I would imagine that the GAA should demand to be compensated in some way to ensure that the game keeps developing from the grassroots and those players poached are 'replaced' from the ground up.

I believe there's been a few Gaelic Footballers come through the ranks into the AFL, but it's only really Tadhg Kennelly that I've seen a lot of. The guy is an absolute champion, mind you. Runs all day and a ball magnet to boot. Real pity he did his knee though. Apparently he was going to run the NY Marathon, but can't because of the surgery.

As for the International Rules, let it die I say. All it seems to do is provide a showpiece for the Ugly Australian Syndrome to come to international attention. :oops:

Trades.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:21 am 
a saucerful of secrets

vacatetheword wrote:
brainofpea wrote:

hadn't heard about it. interesting concept. i'm not all that familiar with the GAA but i think it's an amateur comp, or at least probably isn't that cashed up? it would be nice for the clubs here that can afford it to chip in, but i would suggest on a voluntary basis.

in any case, we'll only do it on the proviso that your blokes quit your bitching and bring back the international rules series :wink:
On the proviso that you lot understand that the GAA does NOT allow over physicality. It's a total and utter no-no. The guys here do not get away with it , and it is a part of the international rules. I know it'll be hard for your thugs, but they could try. :P

You talkin to me?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:30 am 
a saucerful of secrets

sirav wrote:
brainofpea wrote:

I would think that the GAA have a responsibility to protect their competition. If players are interested in making the move to AFL I would imagine that the GAA should demand to be compensated in some way to ensure that the game keeps developing from the grassroots and those players poached are 'replaced' from the ground up.

I believe there's been a few Gaelic Footballers come through the ranks into the AFL, but it's only really Tadhg Kennelly that I've seen a lot of. The guy is an absolute champion, mind you. Runs all day and a ball magnet to boot. Real pity he did his knee though. Apparently he was going to run the NY Marathon, but can't because of the surgery.

As for the International Rules, let it die I say. All it seems to do is provide a showpiece for the Ugly Australian Syndrome to come to international attention. :oops:
The fact is, that in the past week alone AFl clubs have taken and signed 3 up and coming under21 stars.

As vacate said, the GAA is a totally amateur organisation. Most of these guys, that were signed this week, haven't even lined up for their senior club teams, never mind county teams.

The club system here works on what parish you're living in, or born in. There's absolutely no monetary payment whatsoever. Your club is where you're from, or living. If you're good enough, you'll get selected for the county team, at whatever age group you're in. The county team is the pinnacle of your GAA career.

And it's this that's pissing of the clubs. The AFl, in the past year, have signed up 6 promising under21s. to the detriment of their respective clubs. Remember, they've been with that club from day 1, and get no money for the player being taken from them by the AFL. The GAA clubs are afraid of what'll happen in the future, that's why this has cropped up now.

I'm not a big fan of gaelic football, but I like the AFl. I think that it would be a great shame to lose this totally unique link between our two great sports,and more importantly, countries.

BTW, you want a man's game. Try hurling. MY game of choice. Another GAA sport. 8)

These guys are ALL under 18, "Minors". The team in red is my team. Loughgiel Shamrocks.

You talkin to me?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:54 am 
a saucerful of secrets

And here's the replay, which we won. 8)

You talkin to me?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:09 am 
Pralines and Dick

2008 fixtures have been released.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:16 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This was on page 3 of the West Australian yesterday. I mean, seriously, is this really news reporting? Perhaps in the 'People and Places' section or something, but page 3?

Trades.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:48 pm 
Unthought Known

:lol:
Quote:
oh f...

:haha:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:01 am 
Pralines and Dick

All charges against Ben Cousins have now been dropped.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:44 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

spudsgirl wrote:
All charges against Ben Cousins have now been dropped.

The dude's seriously fucked up. He would appear to be on a fast track to an early departure from this mortal coil.

He seems to be a pretty arrogant sort who feels he is untouchable. I hope he sorts himself out but I guess if he doesn't, "Such Is Life".

Trades.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:29 pm 
Stone's Butch

My Bulldogs are having a bloody beauty. Do I dare to dream? I know the Cats are probably going to go back-to-back but it's been so bloody long for the Dogs...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:04 am 
Force of Nature

Deano wrote:
My Bulldogs are having a bloody beauty. Do I dare to dream? I know the Cats are probably going to go back-to-back but it's been so bloody long for the Dogs...

You guys smashed us in the last quarter on friday night clearly ran over us, but i think you're still behind the likes of Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports