Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:38 am 
Johnny Guitar

Regardless, he still played for them.

----------------G R H HR RBI OBP SLG AVG
B Ausmus 129 38 100 5 31 .306 .325 .248

Mirabelli
Giants ------ -82 23 53 6 28 .337 .370 .230

This is the most games he has played in a season, 2000 with the giants, and you mean to tell me that ausmus was worth the 5.5 million in 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:49 am 
Got Some

i think guys miss that world series where the red sox showed the value of role players and how you can beat the team with the best record :wink:

spin his numbers however you like :roll: mirabelli is a good signing. they moved fast to get him and it gives them leverage in the Varitek negotiations.

Last edited by little_secrets on Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:54 am 
Johnny Guitar

little_secrets wrote:
stats shmats

did you guys miss the world series where the red sox showed the value of role players and how you can beat the team with the best record?

:roll:

definately didn't miss that, just trying to show him why 1.5 per year was a bargain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:59 am 
Got Some

walshmg wrote:
little_secrets wrote:
stats shmats

did you guys miss the world series where the red sox showed the value of role players and how you can beat the team with the best record?

definately didn't miss that, just trying to show him why 1.5 per year was a bargain.

completely agree. he can hit a little and is above average defensively. if v-tek leaves he knows the pitching staff..i live this move alot.

sign pedro, give bellhorn the job at 2B, trade Millar and i'm happy...i also wouldn't mind placido polanco in that infield. can't overspend for pokey or cabrera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:05 am 
Johnny Guitar

Tek wont leave, don't worry about that. I think they have to sign Cabrera. Pedro is not a must, but I think its a definate. I also like Pavano joining in on the fun. And, the Sox have been talking to Randy.

happy?

Last edited by walshmg on Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:07 am 
In a van down by the river

walshmg wrote:
Tek wont leave, don't worry abou that. I think they have to sign Cabrera. Pedro is not a must, but I think its a definate. I alos like Pavano joining in on the fun. And, the Sox have been talking to Rantdy.

*also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:10 am 
Banned from the Pit

little_secrets wrote:
walshmg wrote:
little_secrets wrote:
stats shmats

completely agree. he can hit a little and is above average defensively. if v-tek leaves he knows the pitching staff..i live this move alot.

sign pedro, give bellhorn the job at 2B, trade Millar and i'm happy...i also wouldn't mind placido polanco in that infield. can't overspend for pokey or cabrera

I agree with almost everything ur saying in ur post but there is no way i would want to trade kevin millar.... that guy is a great guy to have in the clubhouse and although statistically he's not the best ball player i love watching him play... he's got a great attitude and reminds me of just one of us... just a regular guy who goes out and plays baseball for a living and loves every minute of it... he's not a superstar who plays just for the money he just seems to play for love of the game.... i would take 9 kevin millars in my lineup over any superstar because regardless hes going to go out and play his heart out... and if it wasn't for guys like him, the red sox wouldn't have did what they did....... also they need to sign orlando cabrera... hes not quite the bat that nomar was but the things he does defensively is enough to resign him.... plus he did the little things like getting basehits when we needed him... bottom line pay him what he's asking... i guarantee he won't disappoint me, you, or any of the red sox nation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:19 pm 
Unthought Known

walshmg wrote:
Regardless, he still played for them.

----------------G R H HR RBI OBP SLG AVG
B Ausmus 129 38 100 5 31 .306 .325 .248

Mirabelli
Giants ------ -82 23 53 6 28 .337 .370 .230

This is the most games he has played in a season, 2000 with the giants, and you mean to tell me that ausmus was worth the 5.5 million in 2003.

"Regardless, he still played for them".

that's your comeback? lol.
You should have said, "sorry, I didn't realize he didn't back up Pudge for a significant amount of time:"

Instead, you STILL try to stand by your assertion? That is funny, sad, and ultimately pathetic.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me about all the teams who could afford to pay a backup catcher that much money. I guess you're having trouble with that one.

And every time you bring up the Ausmus contract (which he signed in '99), you make yourself look worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:23 pm 
Unthought Known

little_secrets wrote:
i think guys miss that world series where the red sox showed the value of role players and how you can beat the team with the best record :wink:

spin his numbers however you like :roll: mirabelli is a good signing. they moved fast to get him and it gives them leverage in the Varitek negotiations.

you mean the World Series where "role players" such as Schilling, Pedro, Manny, Ortiz, and Foulke played well?

Nobody is "spinning" numbers. The numbers speak for themselves. And I'm not saying it was a bad signing (I think it was a pretty good one actually). What I AM saying is that Mirabelli didn't take any hometown discount to stay with Boston.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:35 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

And every time you bring up the Ausmus contract (which he signed in '99), you make yourself look worse.

It doesnt matter when he signed the contract. What is your point. He made 5.5 in 2004 as well. So there goes that theory. Yea, you are right I am have a lot of trouble, its not like every fucking team in the league couldnt afford a contract for 1.5 million!! Can you just open your eyes and see that the numbers he put up last year compared to the rest of the catchers in the league, is worth more than 1.5 million. Yes he is 34, but he has not played nearly the amount of games as a typical veteran catcher, therefore his longevity will be increased. Its not that hard to see, if you can't open your eyes and see that, there truly is no hope for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:41 pm 
Unthought Known

walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

It doesnt matter when he signed the contract. What is your point. He made 5.5 in 2004 as well. So there goes that theory. Yea, you are right I am have a lot of trouble, its not like every fucking team in the league couldnt afford a contract for 1.5 million!! Can you just open your eyes and see that the numbers he put up last year compared to the rest of the catchers in the league, is worth more than 1.5 million. Yes he is 34, but he has not played nearly the amount of games as a typical veteran catcher, therefore his longevity will be increased. Its not that hard to see, if you can't open your eyes and see that, there truly is no hope for you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1665937

Read the last line and tell me what he was paid in '04.

So you are WRONG AGAIN. lol.

Credibility.......slowly......slipping.....away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:08 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1665937

Read the last line and tell me what he was paid in '04.

So you are WRONG AGAIN. lol.

Credibility.......slowly......slipping.....away.

My source said 5.5 million, but he is going to get 3 million next year. Explain that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:33 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I can't explain
I'm freezing cold
When i say it to you, I feel good
I can't explain (can't explain)
When you are there (can't explain)
Go mike!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:52 am 
Got Some

say hello to scott williamson's replacement as the guy who(when healthy, which is basically never) can get swings & misses in the 6 & 7th innings.

in theo we trust...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/12/08/red_sox_sign_pitcher_matt_mantei/
Red Sox sign former closer Mantei
By Boston.com staff | December 8, 2004

The Red Sox signed free agent right-handed pitcher Matt Mantei to a one-year deal today for $750,000, ESPN’s Peter Gammons reported. The 31-year-old reliever was 0-3 with an 11.81 ERA in 12 appearances for the Arizona Diamondbacks last year in limited action due to a shoulder injury. CBS-4 said that the deal will be finalized tonight pending the results of Mantei's physical in Boston

Mantei has long been injury-prone, battling elbow problems for the past three years. Last May, he was placed on the disabled list with tendonitis in his pitching shoulder after losing the closer’s job, and never returned.

When healthy, Mantei was known as a hard thrower with a 96 mile-per-hour fastball. After recording a career-high 32 saves in 1999 and following that with 17 in 2000 and 29 in 2003, Mantei converted just four of seven opportunities in 2004 before being shelved with tendonitis in his right shoulder.

Red Sox ace Curt Schilling pitched on the same staff as Mantei in Arizona from 2000-2003, and praised the Sox acquisition of Mantei in an e-mail exchange with the Boston Dirt Dogs.

“[He’s a] fantastic teammate, hard worker, good guy,” Schilling wrote. “He will definitely shorten the game from a bullpen standpoint, which is huge. [If] he feels good, this could be every bit as lethal a bullpen as anyone else's with Mantei, [Mike] Timlin, [Alan] Embree for seven and eight, and Foulke for nine. It puts a huge amount of pressure on opposing teams to be ahead by the seventh. Now you put a rotation that can pitch innings in front of that pen and it gets better.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:41 pm 
Unthought Known

little_secrets wrote:
say hello to scott williamson's replacement as the guy who(when healthy, which is basically never) can get swings & misses in the 6 & 7th innings.

in theo we trust...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/12/08/red_sox_sign_pitcher_matt_mantei/
Red Sox sign former closer Mantei
By Boston.com staff | December 8, 2004

The Red Sox signed free agent right-handed pitcher Matt Mantei to a one-year deal today for $750,000, ESPN’s Peter Gammons reported. The 31-year-old reliever was 0-3 with an 11.81 ERA in 12 appearances for the Arizona Diamondbacks last year in limited action due to a shoulder injury. CBS-4 said that the deal will be finalized tonight pending the results of Mantei's physical in Boston

Mantei has long been injury-prone, battling elbow problems for the past three years. Last May, he was placed on the disabled list with tendonitis in his pitching shoulder after losing the closer’s job, and never returned.

When healthy, Mantei was known as a hard thrower with a 96 mile-per-hour fastball. After recording a career-high 32 saves in 1999 and following that with 17 in 2000 and 29 in 2003, Mantei converted just four of seven opportunities in 2004 before being shelved with tendonitis in his right shoulder.

Red Sox ace Curt Schilling pitched on the same staff as Mantei in Arizona from 2000-2003, and praised the Sox acquisition of Mantei in an e-mail exchange with the Boston Dirt Dogs.

“[He’s a] fantastic teammate, hard worker, good guy,” Schilling wrote. “He will definitely shorten the game from a bullpen standpoint, which is huge. [If] he feels good, this could be every bit as lethal a bullpen as anyone else's with Mantei, [Mike] Timlin, [Alan] Embree for seven and eight, and Foulke for nine. It puts a huge amount of pressure on opposing teams to be ahead by the seventh. Now you put a rotation that can pitch innings in front of that pen and it gets better.”

solid low-risk signing for Boston. If he gives them anything this year, it's a plus and a low cost. If he flops, the financial impact is minimal.

It's good that Schilling likes him. I guess Curt won't question his toughness if his shoulder acts up like he did with Williamson. :lol: :lol:

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:50 pm 
Unthought Known

maybe they can go after Denny Neagle now, he might be available. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:05 pm 
Got Some

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

solid low-risk signing for Boston. If he gives them anything this year, it's a plus and a low cost. If he flops, the financial impact is minimal.

It's good that Schilling likes him. I guess Curt won't question his toughness if his shoulder acts up like he did with Williamson. :lol: :lol:

You think?

Mantei, who was paid $7 million by the Diamondbacks last season and openly talked of retirement during the season, flew into Boston with his agent, Bob Garber, on Tuesday, was given the green light by the medical staff, and after meeting with Epstein and manager Terry Francona, who flew up to see him, elected to sign with the Sox.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... oins_team/

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports