Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: Sox re-sign first free agent
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:17 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Doug Mirabelli for 2 years and 3 Million.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb ... &fext=.jsp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:19 pm 
Got Some

HOLY SHIT!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:20 pm 
Unthought Known

3 million is not nearly enough to catch knuckle balls once a week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:23 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Doug RR wrote:
3 million is not nearly enough to catch knuckle balls once a week

I can't believe he did not get a better offer than that. Maybe he did, and just wants to stay in Boston, like Pedro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:55 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

oh man..that's incredible...i predict they'll win it again in '05 now!! hooray!!! yipe!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:49 pm 
Got Some

I'm sorry, is no one else's mind blown by this development???
DOUG MIRABELLI PEOPLE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:51 pm 

jayscott_ wrote:
DOUG MIRABELLI PEOPLE!!!

well, i wasn't gonna admit it.....but when i read that I spit the water our i was swishing in my mouth and did a jig...mark it down, he'll hit 45 homers and drive in 130 runs...what a man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:53 pm 
Johnny Guitar

jayscott_ wrote:
DOUG MIRABELLI PEOPLE!!!

The only thing that blows my mind is that every other team let him sign for only 1.5 mill a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:03 pm 

walshmg wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:
DOUG MIRABELLI PEOPLE!!!

The only thing that blows my mind is that every other team let him sign for only 1.5 mill a year.

great point, check out the stats...he should at least be getting $3.5 million a year, with performance incentives

Year Team Avg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K OBP SLG OPS
2004 BOS .281 59 160 27 45 12 0 9 32 19 46 .368 .525 .893

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:07 pm 
Unthought Known

Mark my words....He will someday be a manager

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:17 pm 
Johnny Guitar

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
walshmg wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:
DOUG MIRABELLI PEOPLE!!!

great point, check out the stats...he should at least be getting $3.5 million a year, with performance incentives

Year Team Avg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K OBP SLG OPS
2004 BOS .281 59 160 27 45 12 0 9 32 19 46 .368 .525 .893

Pretty solid for a backup catcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:18 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Doug RR wrote:
Mark my words....He will someday be a manager

Veritek will be an awesome Manager some day. It will probably be for the sox too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:23 am 
Unthought Known

walshmg wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:
DOUG MIRABELLI PEOPLE!!!

yeah, it's crazy how you knew something every other GM didn't know.

I guess 30 MLB executives weren't competent enough to see his true value. After all, it's not every day you have the oppurtunity to give a multi-year deal to a 34-year-old catcher who's never proven he can be anything more than a part time player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:27 am 
Banned from the Pit

how can u say he hasnt' proven himself only as a part time catcher, he could catch for anyone he just has the skills to catch for a knuckleballer which isn't very easy to do...oh i forgot you know everything

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:32 am 
Banned from the Pit

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
yeah, it's crazy how you knew something every other GM didn't know.

I guess 30 MLB executives weren't competent enough to see his true value. After all, it's not every day you have the oppurtunity to give a multi-year deal to a 34-year-old catcher who's never proven he can be anything more than a part time player.

dude, it's a total steal at 1.5 million.

in case you didn't notice, he had THIRTY-TWO RBI last year!!! that makes him worth ATLEAST 32 million, a million per RBI. the red sox signed him for like 5 percent of his actual value. actually, i shouldn't use the word "signed". because actually, God willed Doug into being a member of Red Sox Nation. and thus, divine intervention can't really be trivialized by using such a tangible term like "signed".

it's more like the Red Sox were "begotten" Doug Mirabelli.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:33 am 
Unthought Known

PJSoxfan wrote:
how can u say he hasnt' proven himself only as a part time catcher, he could catch for anyone he just has the skills to catch for a knuckleballer which isn't very easy to do...oh i forgot you know everything

um, I can say he hasn't proven himself because he HASN'T.

Has he ever had more than 230 AB's in a season? No.
Has he ever played in more than 82 games? No.

signs point to BACKUP catcher. If he was so good, he would have nailed down a starting gig a LONG time ago.

To be honest, this whole Mirabelli discussion is scaring me. I keep thinking you guys might actually be kidding, but then I realize you're actually being serious, and it makes me nervous for your well-being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:57 am 
Banned from the Pit

He hasn't exactly had the chance to prove himself in the red sox uniform... which is understandable considering he is the backup to one of the best catchers in the league... but he has shown his worth with the ability to catch tim wakefield.....and the games that he has played in, he has been more than exceptional... if u look at the numbers this guy put up as far as batting, it is pretty impressive to see how well doug does despite playing once every 5 days.... give him a chance to be and everyday player and it is hard telling how much potential this guys has..... potential that theo epstein and the rest of the red sox orginization obviously see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:03 am 
Unthought Known

Reece82 wrote:
He hasn't exactly had the chance to prove himself in the red sox uniform... which is understandable considering he is the backup to one of the best catchers in the league... but he has shown his worth with the ability to catch tim wakefield.....and the games that he has played in, he has been more than exceptional... if u look at the numbers this guy put up as far as batting, it is pretty impressive to see how well doug does despite playing once every 5 days.... give him a chance to be and everyday player and it is hard telling how much potential this guys has..... potential that theo epstein and the rest of the red sox orginization obviously see

um, he got to Boston when he was about 30. I'd say he could have proven himself as a regular sometime before then as well.

Have you looked at the numbers? The lifetime BA of .242 and lifetime OBP of .331 don't exactly impress.

Give him the chance to be an every day player and he gets exposed. He's a good backup. that's it, nothing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:12 am 
Johnny Guitar

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Reece82 wrote:

um, he got to Boston when he was about 30. I'd say he could have proven himself as a regular sometime before then as well.

Have you looked at the numbers? The lifetime BA of .242 and lifetime OBP of .331 don't exactly impress.

Give him the chance to be an every day player and he gets exposed. He's a good backup. that's it, nothing more.

Before Boston he played for Texas, who was the catcher for Texas then.
Does Pudge ring a bell?

He has been a backup to to of the best in the game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:17 am 
Unthought Known

walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Reece82 wrote:

Before Boston he played for Texas, who was the catcher for Texas then.
Does Pudge ring a bell?

Wow, you didn't just say that, did you?

Mirabelli was traded to Texas on 3/27/01, and lasted until 6/12/01 when he was traded to Boston.

bwahahahahahahaha.

In each post you make on this topic, you find yet another way to embarass yourself. It's really time for you to stop.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports