Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:02 pm 
Got Some

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:03 pm 
In a van down by the river

walshmg wrote:
You must be related to Peeps, maybe you two were seperated at birth.

maybe your related to balls, cause youre pretty much a dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:07 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Peeps wrote:
walshmg wrote:
You must be related to Peeps, maybe you two were seperated at birth.

maybe your related to balls, cause youre pretty much a dick

Good one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:31 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

4 whole fried chickens and a coke
and some dry white toast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:38 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

resonance of distance wrote:
and some dry white toast

the blues brothers took steroids

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:51 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Clubber wrote:
and some dry white toast

Have you seen Ackroyd lately? Goddamn he's huge. He musta done something besides chicken...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:01 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Athletic Supporter wrote:
Clubber wrote:
and some dry white toast

Have you seen Ackroyd lately? Goddamn he's huge. He musta done something besides chicken...

That's it?!? You got nothing more to add here?

This whole thing is disgusting. These guys are going to start dropping like flies 5-10 years from now from using this stuff. Just looki at giambi. That pituatary problem was no coincidence. if you look up the steroids he was taking it is because of the roids. I just heard on the radio the grand jury testimony and it is really scary what Giambi was doing to his body. BTW, there is a steroid that helps you see better. So you can't tell me that steroids don't make a differnce in hitrting a ball.

Selig makes his poinless statement about the incident. And the biggest thing is that the fans don't care. They still go to the games, they still watch it on TV. They follow their teams blindly while this stuff goes on. It's truly a shame and yet another reason why MLB makes me cringe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:10 pm 
Devil's Advocate

This is what I'll add. The same thing I have said a hundred times here.

I don't care if they were illegal because I don't think they should be. I don't want the government sanctioning what I can put in my body to make my muscles big, get me high, or make me trip.

I care that Giambi broke the rules if he broke them when they existed. If he juiced in 1999 when there were no MLB rules against it, I don't care. He or anyone juicing SINCE the rules were enacted should be punished accordingly.

It IS disgusting that it took MLB that long to ban the substances. There's mountains of evidence that it's horrible for you (John Matusak, Alzado, etc). The sport can't put such pressure on athletes to perform and then expect them not to use everything they can get their hands on to do just that. They should have been banned by the sport a long time ago, it's ridiculous, but it IS finally taken care of...albeit weakly.

Bottom line is if no rule was broken, then no rule was broken. If it was, punish accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:19 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Giambi admitted to using steroids from 2001 to 2003. I believe they were banned in 2002. I could care less if people use steroids. It's their body, they can do what they want with it. But MLB is fooling the fans into thinking the sport is pure and that these records were legitamately broken. What did Hank Aaron use to hit all his home runs? He lifted weights! Bonds uses steroids. The diffence being that steroids give you an unfair advantage over players that don't use them. Everybody has access to weights. Not everybody had access to these top steroid dealers. Just look at the Giambi testimony. The guy who gave him the roids told him that only a select few were chosen to get these untraceable/highly affective roids. Can you really say that these records are legit now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 YIM  Profile

[quote="Athletic Supporter"]
It IS disgusting that it took MLB that long to ban the substances. There's mountains of evidence that it's horrible for you (John Matusak, Alzado, etc). The sport can't put such pressure on athletes to perform and then expect them not to use everything they can get their hands on to do just that. They should have been banned by the sport a long time ago, it's ridiculous, but it IS finally taken care of...albeit weakly.

/quote]

This is the crux of the entire situation.

Giambi is not the first nor will he be the last.

It is interesting because I work with athletes as a strength coach and I also train with weightlifters...a notoriously bad group when it comes to steroid abuse. There will always exist a mentality among certain athletes that no matter what the cost, the ends will justify the means.

We'll never be able to eliminate cheating entirely, but we need policies in place, education programs set up, and REAL punishment when rules are broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:28 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Clubber wrote:
Giambi admitted to using steroids from 2001 to 2003. I believe they were banned in 2002.

I think you may be right, but I'd have to check on it. Yeah, if he used them when they were banned...nail his ass to the wall.
Clubber wrote:
But MLB is fooling the fans into thinking the sport is pure and that these records were legitamately broken. What did Hank Aaron use to hit all his home runs? He lifted weights! Bonds uses steroids.

If Bonds broke the record while using steriods when they were banned, it should be wiped off the books. If Bonds broke the record using roids when they were NOT banned, it's legit.

Clubber wrote:
The diffence being that steroids give you an unfair advantage over players that don't use them.

Don't go the "unfair advantage" route. The Detroit Pistons had a private plane during the late 80's, few other teams had that luxury. Is that not an unfair advantage?

Clubber wrote:
Not everybody had access to these top steroid dealers.
Any professional athlete can get steroids. Any. They might get caught, but they can get them.
Clubber wrote:
Just look at the Giambi testimony. The guy who gave him the roids told him that only a select few were chosen to get these untraceable/highly affective roids.

That's not Jason's fault. They were made available to him so he took them. What was he supposed to do? Ask Balco or whoever to give them to Terrence Long?
Clubber wrote:
Can you really say that these records are legit now?
If Bonds broke the record while using steriods when they were banned, it should be wiped off the books. If Bonds broke the record using roids when they were NOT banned, it's legit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:33 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Clubber wrote:
Giambi admitted to using steroids from 2001 to 2003. I believe they were banned in 2002.

I think you may be right, but I'd have to check on it. Yeah, if he used them when they were banned...nail his ass to the wall.
Clubber wrote:
But MLB is fooling the fans into thinking the sport is pure and that these records were legitamately broken. What did Hank Aaron use to hit all his home runs? He lifted weights! Bonds uses steroids.

Clubber wrote:
The diffence being that steroids give you an unfair advantage over players that don't use them.

Don't go the "unfair advantage" route. The Detroit Pistons had a private plane during the late 80's, few other teams had that luxury. Is that not an unfair advantage?

Clubber wrote:
Not everybody had access to these top steroid dealers.
Any professional athlete can get steroids. Any. They might get caught, but they can get them.
Clubber wrote:
Just look at the Giambi testimony. The guy who gave him the roids told him that only a select few were chosen to get these untraceable/highly affective roids.

That's not Jason's fault. They were made available to him so he took them. What was he supposed to do? Ask Balco or whoever to give them to Terrence Long?
Clubber wrote:
Can you really say that these records are legit now?

So you really don't think Bonds used steroids the season he hit 73 homers? If your answer is "no" i don't see why we would even bother continuing this 1 on 1 discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:36 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Clubber wrote:
So you really don't think Bonds used steroids the season he hit 73 homers? If your answer is "no" i don't see why we would even bother continuing this 1 on 1 discussion.

If you're asking my opinion, I'd say probably. But I'm not willing to hang a guy on something I can't prove either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:38 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Clubber wrote:

If you're asking my opinion, I'd say probably. But I'm not willing to hang a guy on something I can't prove either.

Well, the prosecution couldn't prove that OJ did it but it's just common sense at this point. I think tomorrow night on 20/20 will finally get Bonds and he will have to come foward. I think this guy cut a deal and named Bonds and it will all start blowing up very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:41 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Clubber wrote:

Well, the prosecution couldn't prove that OJ did it but it's just common sense at this point. I think tomorrow night on 20/20 will finally get Bonds and he will have to come foward. I think this guy cut a deal and named Bonds and it will all start blowing up very soon.

OJ and Bonds are way different. There was an actual trial with OJ that clearly proved guilt but he was let go because of shitty investigators. There's not nearly as much information made public in Bonds' case.
I will say that if I were Barry, I'd be shitting my pants right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:51 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Bottom line is if no rule was broken, then no rule was broken. If it was, punish accordingly.

Interesting point on ESPN.radio today. They said that the Yankees cancelled Aaron Boone's contract because he wasn't suppose to be playing basketball when he broke his knee . I guess the Yankees considered playing basketball "detremental to the team". The Yanks cancelled his 5 million contract and settled with him and Aaron took home 0.5 million.

Now if playing basketball is detremental to the team and Boone's contract was cancelled. I can't see how the Yankees won't terminate Giambi's contract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:53 pm 
Supersonic

zutmon wrote:

Interesting point on ESPN.radio today. They said that the Yankees cancelled Aaron Boone's contract because he wasn't suppose to be playing basketball when he broke his knee . I guess the Yankees considered playing basketball "detremental to the team". The Yanks cancelled his 5 million contract and settled with him and Aaron took home 0.5 million.

Now if playing basketball is detremental to the team and Boone's contract was cancelled. I can't see how the Yankees won't terminate Giambi's contract.

giambi is a former mvp. that's enough of a reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:05 am 
Unthought Known

zutmon wrote:

it has nothing to do with being "detrimental to the team". Boone's contract (and just about every other player's) have specific clauses that forbid basketball, skiing, riding motorcycles and similar stuff.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports