Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:25 pm 
Johnny Guitar

PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:
The Yankees payroll was 58 million more than the sox. Looks like we caught a bargain.

lets see where they both are at the end of this season. There were a few teams that won a WS (97 Marlins, 01 D-Backs) and then could not maintain it. It costs more money to keep the guys you want and add to the team. How much more was the Redsox payroll than the Cards?

50 million. Yes there is always next year for you. Good example of it costing more to keep the guys, Doug Mirabelli - career year signs for 1.5 mill per year. I guess if you are part of a "TEAM", you will sacrifice a few benji's to keep the unity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:27 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
The Yankees payroll was 58 million more than the sox. Looks like we caught a bargain.

It's pretty funny (and sad) how you compare the Sox payroll to the ONE team that had a higheer payroll, and completely ignore the other 29 teams who's payroll was lower.

http://www.baseballratings.com/payroll.htm

you happy

and the only reason the Sox's payroll is so high, is because the Yankees are in their division. They have no choice to jack it up so they can compete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:29 pm 
Unthought Known

walshmg wrote:
PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:

lets see where they both are at the end of this season. There were a few teams that won a WS (97 Marlins, 01 D-Backs) and then could not maintain it. It costs more money to keep the guys you want and add to the team. How much more was the Redsox payroll than the Cards?

I guess if you are part of a "TEAM", you will sacrifice a few benji's to keep the unity.

Like Schilling, Manny, Damon, Mueller, and Foulke sacrificed to stay with their original teams?

Come on, can you at least TRY to see things as they really are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:30 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:

I guess if you are part of a "TEAM", you will sacrifice a few benji's to keep the unity.

Like Schilling, Manny, Damon, Mueller, and Foulke sacrificed to stay with their original teams?

You are missing the point, why dont you see things as they really are. Their is no team in sports, that mesh as a complete unit like the red sox did last year. That is my point, and that is why it will not be that hard to keep this team together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:30 pm 
Unthought Known

walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:

It's pretty funny (and sad) how you compare the Sox payroll to the ONE team that had a higheer payroll, and completely ignore the other 29 teams who's payroll was lower.

you happy

and the only reason the Sox's payroll is so high, is because the Yankees are in their division. They have no choice to jack it up so they can compete.

Yeah sure, that's the "only reason". Are you serious?

I wasn't aware the Sox have to play the Yankees 162 times each year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:33 pm 
Unthought Known

walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:

You are missing the point, why dont you see things as they really are. Their is no team in sports, that mesh as a complete unit like the red sox did last year. That is my point, and that is why it will not be that hard to keep this team together.

were they meshing when Schilling accused Williamson of dogging it?

lol.

The Sox didn't win because they "meshed". Basketball and hocky teams mesh. The Sox won because they were the best team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:33 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:

you happy

Yeah sure, that's the "only reason". Are you serious?

I wasn't aware the Sox have to play the Yankees 162 times each year.

They dont, they play them 19, and guess what happens if they dont win the division, they have to fight for the wild card. So if they just let the Yankees buy everyone and can't compete for the division, they have one less chance of making the playoffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:36 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:

lol.

The Sox didn't win because they "meshed". Basketball and hocky teams mesh. The Sox won because they were the best team.

You said it best, they were the best TEAM. Guess what happens when you have the best team, it meshes. Guess you have never experienced this.

You are right about basketball teams meshing, but it sure as fuck wasnt the lakers, who were the Yankees of the NBA last year. The Pistons last year meshed, and "played the right way", much like the 2004 sox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:37 pm 
Unthought Known

walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:

lol.

You said it best, they were the best TEAM. Guess what happens when you have the best team, it meshes. Guess you have never experienced this.

You are right about basketball teams meshing, but it sure as fuck wasnt the lakers, who were the Yankees of the NBA last year. The Pistons last year meshed, and "played the right way", much like the 2004 sox.

I love all the talk of unity and meshing. I find it hysterical.

face it, they were a team of mercenaries, that happened to be an exceptional collection of individual talent. Baseball is the ultimate individual sport. The Sox were not a collection of home grown talent that rose through the minors together and learned to win. They were a bunch of imported All-Stars who played VERY well and deserved to win.

Saying there was "no team in sports that meshed like they did" is just a silly statement. Stop trying to make them a warm and fuzzy story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:51 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:

lol.

face it, they were a team of mercenaries, that happened to be an exceptional collection of individual talent. Baseball is the ultimate individual sport. The Sox were not a collection of home grown talent that rose through the minors together and learned to win. They were a bunch of imported All-Stars who played VERY well and deserved to win.

Saying there was "no team in sports that meshed like they did" is just a silly statement. Stop trying to make them a warm and fuzzy story.

You have to be kidding me.

First of all the ultimate individual sport is golf.

Second - I never said they were home grown, and yes they are some imported allstars. So because of this they can't mesh?? Are you serious.

Third - I don't have to make them a warm and fuzzy story, they did that fine themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:56 pm 
Force of Nature

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:

lol.

Thank you, that is reality. I would never try to take anything away from the Redsox this year, they were the best team but please spare us with all the BS. The have NO ONE, not one single guy that came from their farm system. Yes, they played well as a TEAM but spare us the history lessons on how teams win. It's funny how all the Redsox fans are experts on winning now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:59 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Again
I never said they were home grown, and yes they are some imported allstars. So because of this they can't mesh?? Are you serious.

and

So because I am a Red Sox fan I have no clue what it takes to win? Please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:02 am 
Unthought Known

walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:

lol.

You have to be kidding me.

First of all the ultimate individual sport is golf.

Second - I never said they were home grown, and yes they are some imported allstars. So because of this they can't mesh?? Are you serious.

Third - I don't have to make them a warm and fuzzy story, they did that fine themselves.

I meant, among the "team" sports, baseball is the ultimate individual sport. However if you want to get technical, I'd say tennis and wrestling are more "individual" based on the presence of a caddy in golf.

Anyway, winning the W.S. after 86 years for the fans IS a warm and fuzzy story. But the collection of players (and how most of them were acquired) is not. Sorry, but most of the "idiots" have plenty of negative qualities that got swept under the rug amidst all the W.S. hysteria. This is true of plenty of other teams as well.

your statements about "keeping the team together won't be hard" and "sacrificing $$ to stay together" because of all the "unity and meshing" are laughable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:03 am 
Unthought Known

PJHutch wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:

lol.

The have NO ONE, not one single guy that came from their farm system.

Trot the roid head came from their system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:04 am 
Force of Nature

walshmg wrote:
Again
I never said they were home grown, and yes they are some imported allstars. So because of this they can't mesh?? Are you serious.

and

You say the Yankees buy their championships by spending the most money. The Redsox spent more than all teams but one and $50 million more than the team they beat in the WS but they don't by their championships? This reasoning only applies to the Yankees?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:05 am 
Johnny Guitar

[quote="Ricardo Tubbs]
I meant, among the "team" sports, baseball is the ultimate individual sport. However if you want to get technical, I'd say tennis and wrestling are more "individual" based on the presence of a caddy in golf.

Anyway, winning the W.S. after 86 years for the fans IS a warm and fuzzy story. But the collection of players (and how most of them were acquired) is not. Sorry, but most of the "idiots" have plenty of negative qualities that got swept under the rug amidst all the W.S. hysteria. This is true of plenty of other teams as well.

your statements about "keeping the team together won't be hard" and "sacrificing $$ to stay together" because of all the "unity and meshing" are laughable.[/quote]

Doug Mirabelli got 1.5 million a year for 2 years. He is with out a doubt worth more than that. What are all of these negative qualitites that got swept under the rug???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:09 am 
Johnny Guitar

PJHutch wrote:
walshmg wrote:
Again

and

You say the Yankees buy their championships by spending the most money. The Redsox spent more than all teams but one and $50 million more than the team they beat in the WS but they don't by their championships? This reasoning only applies to the Yankees?

and yet again

walshmg wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:

you happy

try to keep up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:12 am 
Unthought Known

walshmg wrote:
[quote="Ricardo Tubbs]

your statements about "keeping the team together won't be hard" and "sacrificing $$ to stay together" because of all the "unity and meshing" are laughable.

Doug Mirabelli got 1.5 million a year for 2 years. He is with out a doubt worth more than that. What are all of these negative qualitites that got swept under the rug???[/quote]

Who says he's worth more than that? You? lol.
first of all, how many other teams could afford to pay a backup catcher with a lifetime BA/OBP of .242/331? Are you kidding me? Where else was he going to get that contract?

I could post all day on the negative qualities of MANY Sox players. You haven't been paying attention the last few years if you can't do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:14 am 
Johnny Guitar

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
walshmg wrote:
[quote="Ricardo Tubbs]

Doug Mirabelli got 1.5 million a year for 2 years. He is with out a doubt worth more than that. What are all of these negative qualitites that got swept under the rug???

Who says he's worth more than that? You? lol.
first of all, how many other teams could afford to pay a backup catcher with a lifetime BA/OBP of .242/331? Are you kidding me? Where else was he going to get that contract?

I could post all day on the negative qualities of MANY Sox players. You haven't been paying attention the last few years if you can't do the same.[/quote]

You said during the WS, and Doug just had a career year.

BA - .281 9 HR 32 RBI, in 59 games.
multiplied by 3= 27 HR, 96 RBI

Definately worth more than that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:19 am 
Banned from the Pit

buddy mirabelli was a friggen steal..you need to see that

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports