Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: Lima Time!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:55 am 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1936811

HOUSTON -- A jury says Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Jose Lima must pay almost $500,000 in damages to a woman who claimed she contracted genital herpes from him.

Attorneys for Lima, a former Houston Astros player, said Wednesday they plan to appeal the state court decision and that Lima was unaware he was infected until after his relationship with the 27-year-old woman ended.

Harris County jurors awarded the plaintiff $475,000 in damages after hearing closing arguments Wednesday in 280th Civil District Court.

The woman's lawyers said she learned she was infected in February 2003, about a week after she had sex with Lima, and that the player never warned her that he had the disease.

Another jury earlier this year had awarded the woman $15,000, but gave her no money for pain and suffering. A judge then granted her a retrial and she sought damages of about $500,000.

On Wednesday, the woman's lawyers argued that Lima should have told her he was infected with herpes.

"My client is obviously pleased with the verdict," the woman's lawyer, Chad W. Dunn, told the Houston Chronicle in Thursday's editions. "She would certainly give up all the money to make the disease go away, but she realizes this is the next best thing."

The player's lawyers said he did not know he was infected before the woman, who lives in the Houston suburb of Spring, was tested.

"The verdict is not supported by any evidence whatsoever," said lawyer Ralphaell Wilkins, who added in closing arguments that Lima should not be held responsible for transmitting a disease he didn't know he had.

Lima, who won 21 games for Houston in 1999, was traded by the Astros to the Detroit Tigers in 2001.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:45 am 
Banned from the Pit

well, he WAS in obvious violation of the penal code. serves him right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:43 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

big fan of lima, not a big fan of herpes :shock:

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports