Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: Catch Me If You Can - Steriod Use in Sports
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:34 am 
Johnny Guitar

After Conte's apperance on 20 20 last night, I would like to hear what everybody has to think of MLB's problems, along with all other professional sports.

"It's not cheating if everyone is doing it" - Conte

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=297995&page=1

Last edited by walshmg on Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:54 pm 
Force of Nature

I only caught the 2nd half of the show but it will be interesting. His other comment was what I thought was most interesting, somthing like "there are 100's of Victor Contes oput there doing the same thing". I can't see how baseball or any other sport will be able to stay on the cutting edge of the designer type steroids, how can they detect something they aren't looking for? Obviously this will be an issue for some time, it will get uglier.
I am sure the NBA doesn't mind right about now, they were the big negative for a while now baseball has knocked them off the back page indefintely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:00 pm 
Johnny Guitar

PJHutch wrote:
I only caught the 2nd half of the show but it will be interesting. His other comment was what I thought was most interesting, somthing like "there are 100's of Victor Contes oput there doing the same thing". I can't see how baseball or any other sport will be able to stay on the cutting edge of the designer type steroids, how can they detect something they aren't looking for? Obviously this will be an issue for some time, it will get uglier.
I am sure the NBA doesn't mind right about now, they were the big negative for a while now baseball has knocked them off the back page indefintely.

It's not just baseball, its all sports. Baseball just happens to be the worst problem of the sports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:35 pm 
Force of Nature

walshmg wrote:
PJHutch wrote:

It's not just baseball, its all sports. Baseball just happens to be the worst problem of the sports.

i agree they are just on the hot seat now, it may be much worse in other sports, we will find out soon enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:27 pm 
Got Some

"Let me tell you the biggest joke of all, I would guesstimate that more than 50 percent of the athletes are taking some form of anabolic steroids," - Conte

"My guess is more than 80 percent are taking some sort of a stimulant before each and every game." - Conte

"Its like taking candy from a baby." - Conte

I think we should lay off Barry and Giambi. Especially Barry, Conte also said, this is not a new thing, this has been going on for over 50 years. Does that make it right, no, but it is not fair that Barry is being singled out, just because he is the one chasing one of the most prestigeous records in all of sport. This is obviously a much bigger problem than anyone expected and it has to be addressed.

Post subject: Re: Catch Me If You Can - Steriod Use in Sports
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:33 pm 
Pork Chop

walshmg wrote:
After Conte's apperance on 20 20 last night, I would like to hear what everybody has to think of MLB's problems, along with all other professional sports.

"It's not cheating if everyone is doing it" - Conte

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=297995&page=1

I watched the program lastnight. Some interesting thoughts were brought up, like the above quote in bold. I'm not sure what side of the fence i stand on with that statement. It is very debatable, however "everyone" is not doing it, so therefore yes it is cheating. So i guess i do know where i stand on that. Sure, after seeing Conte lastnight I am certain the numbers are much higher and than I and most people suspected.
Its all very scary. More than 50 % in baseball is crazy and also very dissappointing to hear, but I was glad to hear the truth. Which, brings me to my next point. Is Conte a credible source? He could be saying this to protect his ass by saying "well, if everyone is already doing it".
This also makes me wonder who elses is doing it? Lance Armstrong perhaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:39 pm 
Pork Chop

Stripe64 wrote:
"Let me tell you the biggest joke of all, I would guesstimate that more than 50 percent of the athletes are taking some form of anabolic steroids," - Conte

"My guess is more than 80 percent are taking some sort of a stimulant before each and every game." - Conte

I think we should lay off Barry and Giambi. Especially Barry, Conte also said, this is not a new thing, this has been going on for over 50 years. Does that make it right, no, but it is not fair that Barry is being singled out, just because he is the one chasing one of the most prestigeous records in all of sport. This is obviously a much bigger problem than anyone expected and it has to be addressed.

Yeah, but he chasing the most coveted recors in all of sports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:42 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Stripe64 wrote:
"

I think we should lay off Barry and Giambi. Especially Barry, Conte also said, this is not a new thing, this has been going on for over 50 years. .

50 years? Where did you get that figure? Are you saying that Ted Williams and Joe Dimaggio were taking steroids? I think not.

Athletes are going to use these steroids but the biggest problem is baseball and their weak drug laws. 5 strikes and you're out for a year? That's so awful. And as for Bonds being singled out.....The guy has lied time and tuime again about whether he used steroids. "I work my butt off." - yeah right. You work your butt off cause the steroids help you do that you fucking pumpkin head freak. Stop thinking you are so good on your own you dick. I so hope he goes to jail for lying to the grand jury. I doubt it will happen but there is hope. I think all sports should have much harsher steroid policies but it's obvious that MLB is by far the worst in implementing this. I can't wait for the "STEROID!" chants when Bonds plays on the road. It all finally caught up with you Barry. That's what you get for being such a cheating dick.

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:46 pm 
Got Some

Angels Tribe wrote:
Stripe64 wrote:

So, its ok for over 50% of all MLB player to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:48 pm 
Got Some

Clubber wrote:
Stripe64 wrote:
"

I think we should lay off Barry and Giambi. Especially Barry, Conte also said, this is not a new thing, this has been going on for over 50 years. .

50 years? Where did you get that figure? Are you saying that Ted Williams and Joe Dimaggio were taking steroids? I think not.

Athletes are going to use these steroids but the biggest problem is baseball and their weak drug laws. 5 strikes and you're out for a year? That's so awful. And as for Bonds being singled out.....The guy has lied time and tuime again about whether he used steroids. "I work my butt off." - yeah right. You work your butt off cause the steroids help you do that you fucking pumpkin head freak. Stop thinking you are so good on your own you dick. I so hope he goes to jail for lying to the grand jury. I doubt it will happen but there is hope. I think all sports should have much harsher steroid policies but it's obvious that MLB is by far the worst in implementing this. I can't wait for the "STEROID!" chants when Bonds plays on the road. It all finally caught up with you Barry. That's what you get for being such a cheating dick.

Conte said over 50 years last night

Barry didn't lie, he admitted he used them.

Post subject:
Force of Nature

Clubber wrote:
You work your butt off cause the steroids help you do that you fucking pumpkin head freak.

:lol:

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Post subject:
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Stripe64 wrote:
Angels Tribe wrote:
Stripe64 wrote:

what? where di he say that? You sure pull some shit out of your ass man

Post subject:
Pork Chop

Clubber wrote:
Stripe64 wrote:
"

Ted Williams purchased some roids while in Korea fighting in a war.

ya know, we all have Ben Johnson to thank for this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:49 pm 
Got Some

Clubber wrote:

I didnt say he said that. Read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:51 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Stripe64 wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Stripe64 wrote:
"

Conte said over 50 years last night

Barry didn't lie, he admitted he used them.

I didn't hear him say anything about 50 years ago. Even if he did how the hell would he know?

As for barry lying.....did you see all the interviews with him when balco finally got caught? he said he never took steroids...multiple times

Post subject:
Unthought Known

purely a guess here but I would think that 20-25% are probably using some sort of steroid at the major league level...There are some bench warmers our there with average talent just trying to keep up...

Post subject:
Pork Chop

Stripe64 wrote:
Angels Tribe wrote:
Stripe64 wrote:

hahaha...no no no....I meant because of the record he should be singled out as an example

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:52 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Stripe64 wrote:
Clubber wrote:

I didnt say he said that. Read.

Fine, he didn't say that :roll:

So to answer your question.....Yes, it's ok for 50% of all baseball players to use steroids :roll:

What kind of stupid question is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:53 pm 
Got Some

Clubber wrote:

I didn't hear him say anything about 50 years ago. Even if he did how the hell would he know?

As for barry lying.....did you see all the interviews with him when balco finally got caught? he said he never took steroids...multiple times

I dont know, maybe because he makes and distrubutes the steriods???

He didnt say that to the Jury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:55 pm 
Got Some

All I am saying is that it is not fair the Barry is taking all of the heat for over 50% of the players supposidly using steriods. Thats all.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports