Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:45 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

perfectlefts wrote:
mowbs wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Quote:
How about diving and gymnastics?

no and no

I think that your "one miles worth of movement" theory is faulty. For example, if a boxing fight or wrestling match ends in the first round...was it not a sport? Also, you can throw sumo wrestling out the window, because those matches are very short.

I don't think it is the total amount of activity that is the factor, just that the activity is there for a period of time. Gymnasts and divers are very athletic people who have to be in very good shape for their sports. Same goes with curling and competitive cheerleading.

I'm not sure how much competitive curling you've done, but it requires a very minimal level of fitness. Sweeping is rigorous to be sure, but it lasts for about 30 seconds every 5 minutes. Throwing the rocks is not rigorous. The team's "skip" very rarely has to sweep and more often than not (at least in men's curling) more closely resembles Norm from Cheers than any recognizable athlete. The training for curling is much closer to bowling or pool than to anything athletic.

That said, I did curl with a guy in high school who we called "noodles" because of his weak arms and his inability to actually sweep "HAAAAAARD" without panting for breath and needing to sit down.

This is going to sound dumb, but I actually didn't mean to put curling in the post you quoted. But yea...I hear ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:58 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Basically they're all games. Some are more athletic than others, and adults like to sound like they're grown-ups, so they call them sports. It's more impressive than saying you play a game for a living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:30 pm 
Force of Nature

I've had this argument many times. My favorite part is when people announce that something is "definitely a sport" or something like that, but support it either with 1) it just has to be, or 2) a definition of "sport" that they've chosen for the sole reason that it supports their claim that X is a sport. It's fun.

I don't endorse this definition fully, but it's pretty close to what I would consider a sport: http://www.stanford.edu/~sehealey/sport.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:37 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Puffin wrote:
I've had this argument many times. My favorite part is when people announce that something is "definitely a sport" or something like that, but support it either with 1) it just has to be, or 2) a definition of "sport" that they've chosen for the sole reason that it supports their claim that X is a sport. It's fun.

I don't endorse this definition fully, but it's pretty close to what I would consider a sport: http://www.stanford.edu/~sehealey/sport.html

I gotta say i have a problem with #6

"The objective of the activity does not at any time directly involve physically harming an opponent"

Why the fuck not? And if that's the case then football is out too.

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:41 pm 
Force of Nature

Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:

"The objective of the activity does not at any time directly involve physically harming an opponent"

Well, the "objective" in football is to score more points than the opponent. When you tackle someone, the objective is not to hurt them, it's to stop them from advancing. I think that's what is meant by objective, in #6.

As far as why the fuck not, i dunno. I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:50 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:

Well, the "objective" in football is to score more points than the opponent. When you tackle someone, the objective is not to hurt them, it's to stop them from advancing. I think that's what is meant by objective, in #6.

As far as why the fuck not, i dunno. I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Well i'm sure the majority of boxers don't want to hurt their opponent. Some fo them even hold back when they know their opponent is hurt. That being said, you can't get anymore pure of a sport than 2 guys punching the shit out of each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:57 pm 
Force of Nature

Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:

Well i'm sure the majority of boxers don't want to hurt their opponent. Some fo them even hold back when they know their opponent is hurt. That being said, you can't get anymore pure of a sport than 2 guys punching the shit out of each other.

Isn't the goal of boxing to "knock out" your opponent? And sorry, I can't agree that 2 guys punching each other is a sport in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:00 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:

Isn't the goal of boxing to "knock out" your opponent? And sorry, I can't agree that 2 guys punching each other is a sport in my book.

the goal is to "win". KO's aren't as frequent as you think. And i can't agree that a guy walking for 18 holes swinging a club is a sport if boxing isn't. Same goes for some guy sitting in left field picking his ass for 3 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:11 pm 
Force of Nature

Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:

the goal is to "win". KO's aren't as frequent as you think. And i can't agree that a guy walking for 18 holes swinging a club is a sport if boxing isn't. Same goes for some guy sitting in left field picking his ass for 3 hours.

I'm no boxing expert, but as far as I know, the guy that wins is the one who inflicts more pain on the other guy (more or less). Whatever the case, I agree that I wouldnt include #6 in my definition of a sport. I still don't think boxing is a sport though, because the outcome, short of a KO, is decided entirely by a judge. I think a sport needs to have a more significant objectivity to it's scoring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:15 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:

I'm no boxing expert, but as far as I know, the guy that wins is the one who inflicts more pain on the other guy (more or less). Whatever the case, I agree that I wouldnt include #6 in my definition of a sport. I still don't think boxing is a sport though, because the outcome, short of a KO, is decided entirely by a judge. I think a sport needs to have a more significant objectivity to it's scoring.

Tell that to the Seahawks who got jobbed in the Super Bowl on multiple cruicial calls by "judges"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:29 pm 
Force of Nature

Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Puffin wrote:

Tell that to the Seahawks who got jobbed in the Super Bowl on multiple cruicial calls by "judges"

Haha. Well I like to think that games being decided by bad calls in football are the exception to the rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:03 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Oh, come on.....no one liked my definition? At least I tried to steer us clear of the subjective, opinion based nonsense that went before that. I think it makes sense...a sport is one where there is an offense and a defense, a game is one where you compete within a competitive structure, but no one is actively trying to stop you from doing it. Saying something is a 'sport' does not mean it is better than a 'game.' I dont know....its better than all the macho crap where someone says "something is only a sport if i like it!" I knew I would take some flak for it, but that defintion didnt ring true with anyone?

My pages are from #101 to #115: http://books.google.com/books?id=v8r__p ... ry_s&cad=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:52 am 
Resident Frat Dick

Drink booze ---> perform better = not a sport

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:09 am 
Jim's Pal

chris2414 wrote:
Oh, come on.....no one liked my definition? At least I tried to steer us clear of the subjective, opinion based nonsense that went before that. I think it makes sense...a sport is one where there is an offense and a defense, a game is one where you compete within a competitive structure, but no one is actively trying to stop you from doing it. Saying something is a 'sport' does not mean it is better than a 'game.' I dont know....its better than all the macho crap where someone says "something is only a sport if i like it!" I knew I would take some flak for it, but that defintion didnt ring true with anyone?

would you then call alpine skiing a game then? or gymnastics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:13 am 
Stone's Butch

chris2414 wrote:

Your definition doesnt stand up for me, because anyone who says golf isnt a sport has rocks in their head, or is too jock to admit it. There is a physical aspect to it, if youre too fat or too scrawny you arent gonna hit it anywhere (I know Daly, Tim Herron etc are exceptions but there are in any case). Youre walking nigh on 30 miles in 4 days, in heat and swinging a club 280 odd times etc.

Poker=not a sport. I like Bammers definition above, things like darts, pool, etc are easier when a few pints are under the belt so they dont count. Im unsure about gymnastics etc, just because they're at the Olympics doesnt make em a sport. Wasnt ballroom dancing in the Olympics or Commonwealths at one stage?

And that #6 on that link is crap. Youre not trying to hurt someone when youre boxing, or putting a big tackle in rugby/football etc? Course you are, if you hurt them legally then youre at an advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:51 am 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

mowbs wrote:
twoheadedboy wrote:
Any competition that has an objective method of scoring, not subjective.

So Poker is a sport, but Gymnastics is not.

My wife and I have had this argument about cheerleading (her being a former competitive cheerleader).

I do not think of any of the "physical competitions" any less because they are not sports, but calling them sports does not make them so.

Anywho, that's how I feel.

It's a shame that all of those mixed martial artists and boxers don't realize they are not participating in sports.

What's not objective about that? Knockout or TKO wins.

Me on Google+
Campaign For Liberty
Ludwig Von Mises Institute
antiwar.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:11 am 
Former PJ Drummer

twoheadedboy wrote:
mowbs wrote:
twoheadedboy wrote:
Any competition that has an objective method of scoring, not subjective.

So Poker is a sport, but Gymnastics is not.

My wife and I have had this argument about cheerleading (her being a former competitive cheerleader).

I do not think of any of the "physical competitions" any less because they are not sports, but calling them sports does not make them so.

Anywho, that's how I feel.

It's a shame that all of those mixed martial artists and boxers don't realize they are not participating in sports.

What's not objective about that? Knockout or TKO wins.

Yea, and if that doesn't happen by the time the rounds are up, it goes to a judges's decision.

The thing about boxing and mma is that, although are there judges being used, there actually are scoring methods. Most of the time, it really isn't that hard to determine who got the better of the fight. A pretty easy way to determine who won a boxing match that went the distance is who got more knockdowns.

And to whoever said that if there are judges used, it becomes entertainment, I strongly disagree. The fact that there are judges who keep scores and points and there is a winner and loser is what separates these activities from the acrobats at the circus.

Then again, I really don't understand the argument that if judges are used, it isn't a sport. I don't get how that is relevant. Why is the matter of determining the winner and loser important in defining a sport? It's if there is a winner and loser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:21 am 
Former PJ Drummer

To those who say gymnastics isn't a sport...are you trying to tell me that gymnasts aren't athletes? They are much more so than golfers, that's for damn sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:28 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Puffin wrote:

From that site:
#7 - The status of a solid inanimate object, movable by the force of one player, is of central importance when play is active. Furthermore, when play is active, the object is not physically attached to any player; and it is not rendered motionless, held, or contained by any player for an extended period of time.

In accordance with this definition, the following are not sports: boxing, canoeing/kayaking, cheerleading, cycling, diving, fencing, figure skating, gymnastics, martial arts, rowing, skiing, snowboarding, swimming, track and field, wrestling.

Yea...I'm pretty sure this definition loses. What the hell does that matter?

I'm sorry, but there is no way anyone can convince me that anything done cmpetitively, with rules, that requires you to be a legitimate athlete is not a sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:00 am 
Stone's Butch

mowbs wrote:
To those who say gymnastics isn't a sport...are you trying to tell me that gymnasts aren't athletes? They are much more so than golfers, that's for damn sure.

Just because they're in great shape and are really masters of what they do, doesnt make them a sportsman. Golfers as a rule dont have half the fitness gymnasts have, but they play a sport and in my opinion gymnasts dont.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports