Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 111  Next
 Post subject: The Boston Bruins Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:19 am 
AnalLog

i noticed this discussion in the NHL thread and thought i'd give the few bruins fans on here a place to vent, cheer and contemplate.

i'd say chara and mara are big upgrades for the team. so i'd say these guys and stuart make the D pretty solid. Offensively they should be competitive with savard, donovan and kessel added to bergeron, primeau, boyes, sturm, axelsson and murray. some people think that the goalies will be a problem, but i remember both of these goalies carrying the team for different stretches of last season. hopefully the additions on defense, as well as a new mentality toward penalty killing will help whoever takes over the job.

I'm not gonna say this is a stanley cup team, but certainly the B's could be a playoff team. They definitely have their ? but i feel pretty good about the leaders of the team. Dave Lewis is my biggest issue, i really don't know what to expect from him, but i like chiarelli's work so far.

Last edited by EllisEamos on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:20 am 
Reissued

Gonna get fucked up Saturday night, after that it's their call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:32 am 
AnalLog

Mickey wrote:
getting rid of john graham was a good idea, but i don't know if Denis will help much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:38 am 
Reissued

EllisEamos wrote:
Mickey wrote:
getting rid of john graham was a good idea, but i don't know if Denis will help much.

Everyone says he's unproven, but he was unconscious tonight in the shootout, and the two goals were on powerplays (One a 5-3) in the first period of his first game with the new team. He looked good, and I think he was really underrated in Columbus because that team is so bad and in a small market. He had the same stats as Letenhin of Atlanta for last year, who's touted as a franchise player, on a significantly worse team.

I disagree, I think Denis will make a huge difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:08 am 
Stone's Bitch

Woo-hoo, go Bruins!

For me, this team looks and feels a lot different than the ones we've had over the past 5, 6 years. I feel like they've put together the right parts for a winning hockey team: some big time defensemen, some young, talented forwards along with a few solid vets, and man I am glad O'Connel is out of the GM's chair. The goalies do make me cringe, though. I like Thomas and Toivonen, but combined they have fewer than 100 career games. If one collapses and the other can't pick him up, we'll be in trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up a veteran netminder to hang around just in case.

I am optimisitc...but it's a long season, let's not worry about playoffs yet. Let's just try to get out of October with a winning record.

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:17 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Toinenven was solid last year until his ankle injury, and Thomas also bailed them out of some games. What worries me is the offense, it may be the weakest link on this team. I do believe they will make the playoffs and then anything can happen. Should be a fun season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:36 am 
Got Some

I can't believe they are letting Thomas get shelled like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:10 pm 
Supersonic

ouch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:22 pm 
Mike's Maniac

They can't play any worse. I'm guessing we will be seeing Toinenven tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:39 pm 
Stone's Bitch

What bothered me most was the team defense. Last night I saw some of the worst passes in the defensive zone that I've seen in a long time; also, clearing the puck was a huge issue (especially the forwards...damn you Kessel!). Luckily these are things that can be worked on as the team starts to play more together as a unit. I don't think it's time to shake things up yet, this squad has talent, they just need time to gel.

Honestly, though, after last night it can only go up from here!

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:09 pm 
AnalLog

nice job following that awful game against the panthers with a win against a solid team in tampa. sturm looks ready to go this year! Hannu should/ will be the #1 goalie, i say bring up the kid they traded razor for and drop thomas (the latest edition of Blaine Lacher!).

in regards to the offense, i think kessel will be fine if (a) he keeps his head up and doesn't get paul kariya'd (b) he gets enough time to gell with bergeron and boyes..... so much speed on this team, they were really missing this last year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:25 am 
Stone's Bitch

EllisEamos wrote:
in regards to the offense, i think kessel will be fine if (a) he keeps his head up and doesn't get paul kariya'd (b) he gets enough time to gell with bergeron and boyes..... so much speed on this team, they were really missing this last year!

In just two games, I've seen Kessel come within one stride of an absolutely sick move (I'm talking Sportscenter highlight reel-worthy) on nearly every shift. As soon as he gets used to the speed of the pro game and, like you said, gells with his linemates, I think he's gonna be a great addition. I'm waiting patiently for his first goal.

Also, here's hoping that Wayne can score between 20-25 this year; he's off to a hot start!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:00 am 
Got Some

EllisEamos wrote:
nice job following that awful game against the panthers with a win against a solid team in tampa. sturm looks ready to go this year! Hannu should/ will be the #1 goalie, i say bring up the kid they traded razor for and drop thomas (the latest edition of Blaine Lacher!).

Can't bring up Rask, he's in Finland, so unless they were able to sign him and get him over in time, it wouldn't happen.

Toivonen should be the #1. He's going to be a top 5 goalie in a couple of years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:41 am 
AnalLog

Scrub12 wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

Can't bring up Rask, he's in Finland, so unless they were able to sign him and get him over in time, it wouldn't happen.

Toivonen should be the #1. He's going to be a top 5 goalie in a couple of years.
thanks for the info, and here's to "a couple of years" being this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:48 pm 
AnalLog

i feel so bad for the guys that look at all these empty seats in atlanta each night.

as for the game, toivonen looks ready to go, but this guy lehtonen seems unbeatable.

oh! wow, i just took a phone call and when i stepped back in the room it's hazel mae, in a short skirt!!

more from the next period

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:18 am 
AnalLog

3-1 atlanta after 2.

sim's goal was a screen, not much chance for toivonen, but mellanby's and metropolit's were bad. at least p.j. and the powerplay got 1 back. should be a fun 3rd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:44 am 
AnalLog

either lehtonen is that good, or the Bs are that bad. i think toivonen could've helped out a little more on the 3rd and 4th goals, but there was no offense for the Bs. coming into the game they were averaging 21 shots a game, worst in the NHL, and tonight they had 23?!! awful!

but, no time to dwell, st. louis tomorrow, i expect thomas in net, and hopefully kessel will net his first goal, he almost had 2 tonight and they would of been highlights in they'd gone in....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:08 am 
Got Some

Lehtonen is that good and the Bruins are that bad. The Bruins defense is almost as bad as the Islanders. I think it's going to be a long season for the Bruins. I think the Bruins need to move Kessel to center. It's pretty obvious he is not good enough yet to play wing. He's too weak on the puck, and most of the time looks pretty lost out there. I think moving him back to his natural position will help him a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:50 am 
Reissued

Lehtonen is THAT good. We outshot them 34-19, completely outplayed them, had at least 9 shots that should have gone in during the third period alone, and still lost 1-0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:34 pm 
Stone's Bitch

EllisEamos wrote:
oh! wow, i just took a phone call and when i stepped back in the room it's hazel mae, in a short skirt!!

I'm not even a huge Hazel Mae fan, but when Frede said, "She's used to giving it, let's see if she can take it," I lol'd for a few minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 111  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports