Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:49 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Ted Williams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:44 pm 
Got Some

Earl Campbell
Warren Moon
Chris Carter
Fran Tarkenton
Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas
Bernie Kosar
Dan Fouts/Kellen Winslow/Charlie Joiner
Steve Largent
Bruce Smith
Randal Cunningham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:47 pm 
Unthought Known

barkley

of course i did name my dog after him, so i might have a bias here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:56 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Kellen Winslow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:04 pm 
Camden Crew

Basil Fawlty wrote:
Kellen Winslow

too bad his son is a low life douche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:07 pm 
Got Some

hey, and don't forget about Kellen Winslow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:25 pm 
Banned from the Pit

PJguy23 wrote:
Basil Fawlty wrote:
Kellen Winslow

can't pick your family

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:30 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Anna Kournikova

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:46 pm 
Unthought Known

JustinCognito wrote:
Anna Kournikova

the thread is greatest player, not greatest ass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:49 pm 
Supersonic

Football - Barry Sanders (no competition)
Baseball - Barry Bonds (undeniably one of the best players of all time)
Hockey - either Cam Neely or Paul Coffey
Basketball - Sir Charles

Whoever said Patrick Ewing I refer to Bill Simmons, the Sports Guy - after all, he's got an entire theory named after him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:05 pm 
Force of Nature

I'll go with my childhood idol Barry Sanders. I think you can find more great in football because it is such a team sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:57 pm 
Got Some

PJguy23 wrote:
Basil Fawlty wrote:
Kellen Winslow

Explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:59 pm 
Got Some

Barry Sanders wouldn't qualify, IMO, because he quit so early. He very well might have won a Super Bowl if he hadn't retired.

I'm going with Marino and Ted Williams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:26 pm 
Supersonic

Auggiestyle wrote:
Barry Sanders wouldn't qualify, IMO, because he quit so early. He very well might have won a Super Bowl if he hadn't retired.

But he played for 10 years. And, at the time he retired, was the second-leading rusher in NFL history. What is your criterion for consideration?

By the way, I'm a die-hard Lions' fan. In the 25+ years I've been watching them, they won a grand total of 1 playoff game. There's no way he was winning a Super Bowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:32 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Auggiestyle wrote:

But he played for 10 years. And, at the time he retired, was the second-leading rusher in NFL history. What is your criterion for consideration?

By the way, I'm a die-hard Lions' fan. In the 25+ years I've been watching them, they won a grand total of 1 playoff game. There's no way he was winning a Super Bowl.

Yup, can't argue with you there. And 10 years is long time for an NFL RB.

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:41 pm 
Supersonic

Clubber wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Auggiestyle wrote:

Yup, can't argue with you there. And 10 years is long time for an NFL RB.

I was thinking of this the other day when I heard that Curtis Martin passed Marcus Allen on the career rushing list. I can't believe he's been in the league for as long as he has and has played for a team in the largest market in the country but has not gotten the recognition he deserves. I never even considered him the same category as Marcus Allen. I'm wondering if he makes the HOF.

*apologizes for derailing thread*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Dan Marino

no one else can heal your soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:00 pm 
Got Some

Chris_H_2 wrote:
I was thinking of this the other day when I heard that Curtis Martin passed Marcus Allen on the career rushing list. I can't believe he's been in the league for as long as he has and has played for a team in the largest market in the country but has not gotten the recognition he deserves. I never even considered him the same category as Marcus Allen. I'm wondering if he makes the HOF.

I brought this up in the NFL thread on RM1 a couple of weeks ago. It really is crazy how over looked he is. He's never had a bad year and he never misses any games. I think he's missed one game since he's been with the Jets and he's a workhorse to boot. 7 times he's had 300 plus carries in a season. Nobody else has done that. Plus he never fumbles. One fumble for every 200 carries or something sick like that. Also he's about to tie Sanders for most consecutive season's running for 1000 yards to start a career. I think there is little doubt he's a HOFer. He should make it the first years he's eligible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:08 pm 
Force of Nature

pjam81373 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I brought this up in the NFL thread on RM1 a couple of weeks ago. It really is crazy how over looked he is. He's never had a bad year and he never misses any games. I think he's missed one game since he's been with the Jets and he's a workhorse to boot. 7 times he's had 300 plus carries in a season. Nobody else has done that. Plus he never fumbles. One fumble for every 200 carries or something sick like that. Also he's about to tie Sanders for most consecutive season's running for 1000 yards to start a career. I think there is little doubt he's a HOFer. He should make it the first years he's eligible.

I am interested to see exactly how long he can go. He will most likely be #5 all time at the end of this year. I think a 1st ballot HOF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:37 pm 
Supersonic

pjam81373 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Well, if anything, he's beaten me in two fantasy leagues this year, so he's got my attention. :wink:

I don't think there's any doubt the guy deserves to be in the HOF. Has there been a player with the numbers Martin puts up that has succeeded in relative obscurity for as long as Martin has? Unbelievable. You never hear about him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports