Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:43 pm 
Got Some

Chris_H_2 wrote:
pjam81373 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
I was thinking of this the other day when I heard that Curtis Martin passed Marcus Allen on the career rushing list. I can't believe he's been in the league for as long as he has and has played for a team in the largest market in the country but has not gotten the recognition he deserves. I never even considered him the same category as Marcus Allen. I'm wondering if he makes the HOF.

I brought this up in the NFL thread on RM1 a couple of weeks ago. It really is crazy how over looked he is. He's never had a bad year and he never misses any games. I think he's missed one game since he's been with the Jets and he's a workhorse to boot. 7 times he's had 300 plus carries in a season. Nobody else has done that. Plus he never fumbles. One fumble for every 200 carries or something sick like that. Also he's about to tie Sanders for most consecutive season's running for 1000 yards to start a career. I think there is little doubt he's a HOFer. He should make it the first years he's eligible.

Well, if anything, he's beaten me in two fantasy leagues this year, so he's got my attention. :wink:

I don't think there's any doubt the guy deserves to be in the HOF. Has there been a player with the numbers Martin puts up that has succeeded in relative obscurity for as long as Martin has? Unbelievable. You never hear about him.

if Bill Parcells wasn't preoccupied with the Jets head coaching vacany in 1997 Curtis Martin might have won a ring against Green Bay....a double-edged sword of sorts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:48 pm 
Of Counsel

Ted Williams.
Dan Marino.

--PunkDavid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:55 pm 
Force of Nature

JustinCognito wrote:
Anna Kournikova

:heartbeat:

Big Ben is the greatest without a championship

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:03 pm 
Supersonic

Roger Daltrey wrote:
JustinCognito wrote:
Anna Kournikova

:heartbeat:

Big Ben is the greatest without a championship

But the Pistons just won a title this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:05 pm 
Supersonic

little_secrets wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
pjam81373 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
I was thinking of this the other day when I heard that Curtis Martin passed Marcus Allen on the career rushing list. I can't believe he's been in the league for as long as he has and has played for a team in the largest market in the country but has not gotten the recognition he deserves. I never even considered him the same category as Marcus Allen. I'm wondering if he makes the HOF.

I brought this up in the NFL thread on RM1 a couple of weeks ago. It really is crazy how over looked he is. He's never had a bad year and he never misses any games. I think he's missed one game since he's been with the Jets and he's a workhorse to boot. 7 times he's had 300 plus carries in a season. Nobody else has done that. Plus he never fumbles. One fumble for every 200 carries or something sick like that. Also he's about to tie Sanders for most consecutive season's running for 1000 yards to start a career. I think there is little doubt he's a HOFer. He should make it the first years he's eligible.

Well, if anything, he's beaten me in two fantasy leagues this year, so he's got my attention. :wink:

I don't think there's any doubt the guy deserves to be in the HOF. Has there been a player with the numbers Martin puts up that has succeeded in relative obscurity for as long as Martin has? Unbelievable. You never hear about him.

if Bill Parcells wasn't preoccupied with the Jets head coaching vacany in 1997 Curtis Martin might have won a ring against Green Bay....a double-edged sword of sorts

Have you read that book yet? I would think as a spoiled Pats' fan you would have by now . . .

If so, what is the gist of the reports about Parcells-out slobbering over the Jets' job during Super Bowl week?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:24 pm 
Got Some

Chris_H_2 wrote:
little_secrets wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
pjam81373 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Have you read that book yet? I would think as a spoiled Pats' fan you would have by now . . .

If so, what is the gist of the reports about Parcells-out slobbering over the Jets' job during Super Bowl week?

have not read the book

are you speaking of Michael Holley's "Patriot Reign" ?

anyway, my understanding is that the Jets were wooing Parcells in the days leading up to the Pats superbowl loss vs Green Bay.
Did it affect his preparation? playcalling? nobody knows for sure, but Parcells did not accompany the team on the flight home

that being said, Green Bay was a powerhouse and Curtis Martin was stuck with some stiff named Bledsoe at QB

Post subject: Re: Greatest Player/Coach Not To Win A Championship
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:41 pm 
Administrator

Dean Corso wrote:
ledbetter10 wrote:
Who do you think? Out of all the major sports, who deserved to win a title but didn't??

My vote is Dan Marino

I have to agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:53 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:10 am 
Stone's Bitch

PJguy23 wrote:
who said Koufax? Sandy won a WS. in fact he won 2. in 1963 he and Drysdale won the WS all by themselves.

Marino is MY football hero too, and Id go with him.

PAtrick Ewing too, he deserved to win one. The man played every minute of every game wanting to win. Big Fella shoulda got one. Fucking Jordan :(

Ewing has a good chance to win one in Houston.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:39 am 
Supersonic

Basil Fawlty wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
Basil Fawlty wrote:
Kellen Winslow

too bad his son is a low life douche

can't pick your family

But you can disown them. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:46 am 
Supersonic

Auggiestyle wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
Basil Fawlty wrote:
Kellen Winslow

Explain.

Associated Press wrote:
Saturday, November 8, 2003

TE Claims Refs 'Targeted Him'

MIAMI -- (AP) Miami tight end Kellen Winslow lashed out at Southeastern Conference officials Saturday, saying they targeted him during Tennessee's 10-6 win over the Hurricanes.

Winslow caught seven passes for 88 yards but had a costly 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct in the fourth quarter.

Winslow said his helmet was ripped off on the 22-yard reception, but said he was penalized for taking off his helmet.

"I hate refs," Winslow said, his voice raised in the locker room. "They were looking at me the whole time. I can't even get hyped up after a play. I can't even get my crowd hyped up."

Winslow has been penalized several times this season for taunting opponents, including one last week against Virginia Tech.

"I talked to our team during the week and talked to them before the game," coach Larry Coker said. "I told them this was an SEC crew and they are strong in calling celebration penalties and will call it."

Miami finished with 12 penalties for 121 yards.

Winslow's penalty cost the Hurricanes significant field position in the fourth quarter while trying to take the lead. They overcame Winslow's mistake, but the drive ended when Brock Berlin was sacked and fumbled.

Berlin also threw two interceptions. He has 14 interceptions and three fumbles this season.

Winslow said the Hurricanes need to make changes on offense, but he stopped short of calling for a new quarterback.

"It's up to the head man," Winslow said. "He'll do the right thing."

Winslow refused to comment on whether the Hurricanes had lost faith in Berlin.

Winslow has 51 catches for 527 yards this season, but has spent much of the season calling for the ball more often - especially near the end zone. He has just one touchdown.

The son of NFL Hall of Fame tight end Kellen Winslow Sr., the younger Winslow made several big plays against the Volunteers, including a 21-yard catch on third-and-20 in the third quarter. But he also fumbled once, dropped a pass in the end zone and had the penalty.

He recovered his third-quarter fumble, but the Hurricanes were forced to punt. Trailing 10-3 in the second quarter, Miami had a chance to tie the game on the final play of the half, but Winslow dropped Berlin's deep pass in the end zone.

He took some of his frustration out on the Vols with a hard-hitting block that knocked Corey Campbell to the ground and briefly out of the game.

Winslow nearly got flagged for standing over and taunting a shaken Campbell.

"It's war," Winslow said. "They're out there to kill you, so I'm out there to kill them. We don't care about anybody but this U. They're going after my legs. I'm going to come right back at them. I'm a fucking soldier!"

I also liked how after he scored a touchdown in the first game of the season last year he did a Heisman pose. Unfortunately for him that was the only touchdown he scored all season.

Last edited by flavdave on Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:47 am 
Supersonic

I always liked Randall Cunningham, and I was saddened when the Vikings didn't make the Super Bowl after Gary Anderson missed a field goal in the NFC Championship a few years back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:20 am 
Got Some

flavdave wrote:
Auggiestyle wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
Basil Fawlty wrote:
Kellen Winslow

Explain.

Associated Press wrote:

This is one incident which he has repeatedly apologized for. He realizes he made a mistake and has been as humble as anyone since being drafted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:46 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Although I think there are several better players in their position, maybe Micheal Owen and Steven Gerrard?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:28 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Dan Marino by far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:23 pm 
Of Counsel

While I respect Ensign9's nomination of Marv Levy, I don't believe that a coach can really win this kind of contest. Unlike a player, who can be great but on a team full of hubbas for his whole career (see Ernie Banks, Ted Williams), a coach is responsible for making the most of the players he has to work with, and inability to close the deal (like Marv Levy) should not be applauded in this way.

--PunkDavid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:43 pm 
Unthought Known

punkdavid wrote:
While I respect Ensign9's nomination of Marv Levy, I don't believe that a coach can really win this kind of contest. Unlike a player, who can be great but on a team full of hubbas for his whole career (see Ernie Banks, Ted Williams), a coach is responsible for making the most of the players he has to work with, and inability to close the deal (like Marv Levy) should not be applauded in this way.

--PunkDavid

agreed... anyone can coach four Super Bowl LOSSES

(now getting there is another story, but this is about WINNING it, not just arriving)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:17 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

pjchrisrvm wrote:
Dan Marino by far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:00 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Barry Bonds, no doubt, case closed. On the roids thing. Nobody has proved it, its all speculation, just because the guy doesnt talk to the media, they try to bring him down. I praise him for not talking to the media, its all bull shit anyway.

And if you do prove that he used roids, then tell me this does it help you make contact with a 95 mph fastball. NO. He is the greatest player ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:13 am 
Force of Nature

Auggiestyle wrote:
flavdave wrote:
Auggiestyle wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
Basil Fawlty wrote:
Kellen Winslow

Explain.

Associated Press wrote:

This is one incident which he has repeatedly apologized for. He realizes he made a mistake and has been as humble as anyone since being drafted.

You're kidding me, right?

Sgt Winslov made it CLEAR, on draft day, he didn't care about being drafted. He was pissed off and let everyone know that he would get back at Joe Gibbs for lying to him. He wasn't gracious, being that he was a top 10 overall pick. Instead, he acted like a two year old.

Sgt. Winslow cares about Sgt. Winslow...and nobody else. I laughed when I heard that S.O.B. went down. one can only hope he catches Jeremy Shockey disease and disappears completely.

According to your humbleness guidelines, TO must have achieved monk status by now.

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports