Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 207  Next
 Post subject: MMA (UFC)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:53 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I figured this wouldn't be a bad idea since there aren't too many avid MMA followers on RM. This will be the thread for all discussions regarding MMA, such as results, rankings, reviews, opinions and news.

Let's begin with mmaweekly's top 10 rankings, which were just updated today:

HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (over 205 pounds)
#1 Fedor Emelianenko (PRIDE)
2. Mirko Cro Cop (UFC)
3. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (P)
4. Josh Barnett (P)
5. Tim Sylvia (U)
6. Andrei Arlovski (U)
7. Fabricio Werdum (P)
8. Aleksander Emelianenko (P)
9. Mark Hunt (P)
10. Sergei Kharitonov (P)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (205-pound limit)
#1 Chuck Liddell (U)
2. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (P)
2. Wanderlei Silva (P)
4. Ricardo Arona (P)
5. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (P)
6. Renato "Babalu" Sobral (U)
7. Quinton Jackson (U)
8. Tito Ortiz (U)
9. Kazuhiro Nakamura (P)
10. Alistair Overeem (P)

MIDDLEWEIGHT DIVISION (185-pound limit)
#1 Matt Lindland (Last fight with IFL...currently un-signed)
2. Anderson Silva (U)
3. Paulo Filho (P)
4. Kazuo Misaki (P)
5. Rich Franklin (U)
6. Dan Henderson (P)
7. Denis Kang (P)
8. Nathan Marquardt (U)
9. Jeremy Horn (Last I heard...he retired. Currently un-signed)
10. Amar Suloev (P)

WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION (170-pound limit)
#1 Georges St. Pierre (U)
2. Matt Hughes (U)
3. BJ Penn (U)
4. Diego Sanchez (U)
5. Karo Parisyan (U)
6. Jake Shields (Last fought at 'Malice at the Palace')
7. Jon Fitch (U)
8. Akira Kikuchi (Shooto)
9. Nick Diaz (U)
10. Josh Koscheck (U)

LIGHTWEIGHT DIVISION (160 pounds and lower)
#1 Takanori Gomi (P)
2. Hayato Sakurai (P)
3. Gilbert Melendez (P)
4. Tatsuya Kawajiri (P)
5. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro (Cage Rage)
6. Shinya Aoki (P)
7. Joachim Hansen (P)
8. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto (K-1)
9. Mitsuhiro Ishida (P)
10. Sean Sherk (U)

Last edited by mowbs on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:54 pm 
AnalLog

i love this band

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:54 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Please move me.

Thanks, I love you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:55 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

warehouse wrote:
i love this band

I love all 50 of the top individuals involved with this band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:57 pm 
Reissued

UFC :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:00 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Mickey wrote:
UFC :roll:

Yea...nothing beats a good hockey fight, right?
:|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:26 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Alright, now that we got the friggin move from OB to Sports out of the way...

Many of these rankings have me puzzled.

Heavyweight doesn't look so bad. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Mark Hunt was able to beat Sylvia, but I guess having Sylvia at #5 is reasonable. I feel bad for him. I don't like him and he takes a lot of heat, but hey...he did beat Arlovski twice, and that's saying a lot for any of the top heavies. He fought a smart (albeit boring) fight agaisnt Monson, but he got the job done and did not deserve the boos.

Wanderlei Silva lower than #2? Get the fuck outta here...why? Because he got knocked out by Cro Cop, who is a heavyweight? True, that he is light for a hwt, but I still don't see the means to rank him below Shogun, being that he is still the champ. Perhaps they should fight each other :idea:

Matt Lindland as the #1 middlewieght is a bit of a stretch, and Franklin should not be ranked below Misaki. Rich was considered #1 until he lost his title. I'm almost positive I read this long article about Horn retiring, and Swick should definitely be ahead of Marquardt - though both deserve a top 10 nod.

My only beef with the welterweight rankings is Nick Diaz. How in the hell do they come up with this? He manages to keep it close even if he is fighting tough competition, I'll give him that...but a loss to Joe Riggs this year, and the fact that he has won 2 of his last 5 fights is enough to leave him out of the top 10. The UFC better give Koscheck a legitimate challenge for his next fight.

I think #10 at lightweights is very disresepctful to Sean Sherk. True that he hasn't been there long, but his only career losses (six years, 33 fights) are to Matt Hughes and GSP. People don't give him credit because he isn't flashy, but who cares...he wins. I think he should be ranked as high as 4th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:32 pm 
Supersonic

Questions for the resident fight expert:

I was watching a fight yesterday (don't remember who) and one guy looked like he was about to snap this guys arm when they were grappling- what would happen if someone broke a guys bone- eliminated?

also, r there any female fighters who do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:44 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Theresa wrote:
I was watching a fight yesterday (don't remember who) and one guy looked like he was about to snap this guys arm when they were grappling- what would happen if someone broke a guys bone- eliminated?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v7B8bfuLrDw
Click that link and watch the video. At about 1:20 in the vid, it is visibly obvious that the guy's arm is literally broken. The ref said, "oh shit," and came in and stopped the fight right away, even though the fighter on the receiving end of the armbar didn't submit. They show a number of replays. Many thought it was a bad stop at first, but it was later revealed that his arm was, in fact, broken. So to answer your question...your arm breaks - the fight is over and you lose.

Girls do it. I wouldn't know if any do it professionally, but there are definitely amateur females who compete in MMA. And, of course, there are female division for muay thai/kicboxing and a girl. A girl can join her high school's wrestling team (I think there was one o my team ever year), and there are many women who wrestle in college.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:53 pm 
Supersonic

mowbs wrote:
Theresa wrote:

Click that link and watch the video. At about 1:20 in the vid, it is visibly obvious that the guy's arm is literally broken. The ref said, "oh shit," and came in and stopped the fight right away, even though the fighter on the receiving end of the armbar didn't submit. They show a number of replays. Many thought it was a bad stop at first, but it was later revealed that his arm was, in fact, broken. So to answer your question...your arm breaks - the fight is over and you lose.

Girls do it. I wouldn't know if any do it professionally, but there are definitely amateur females who compete in MMA. And, of course, there are female division for muay thai/kicboxing and a girl. A girl can join her high school's wrestling team (I think there was one o my team ever year), and there are many women who wrestle in college.
I just watched the video- oww! I thought the guy that broke the arm would be eliminated :shock: so bone breaking is allowed- how come it doesn't happen more often

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:54 pm 
Supersonic

mowbs wrote:
Theresa wrote:

I just watched the video- oww! I thought the guy that broke the arm would be eliminated :shock: so bone breaking is allowed- how come it doesn't happen more often

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:59 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Theresa wrote:
mowbs wrote:
Theresa wrote:

Well...most people aren't meatheads like Tim Sylvia and have enough sense to tap out before their arm breaks.

Saying "bone breaking is allowed" sounds kind of weird. I mean...the object of submitting your opponent is to put them in a situation where you cut off their breathing or bend their joints in a way that could be extremely dangerous if they do not tap out, but arm breaking is very rare. They let the hold go until the guy taps out, but if a bone does break, or he gets knocked out cold, they stop it immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:05 pm 
Supersonic

mowbs wrote:
Theresa wrote:
mowbs wrote:
Theresa wrote:

Well...most people aren't meatheads like Tim Sylvia and have enough sense to tap out before their arm breaks.

Saying "bone breaking is allowed" sounds kind of weird. I mean...the object of submitting your opponent is to put them in a situation where you cut off their breathing or bend their joints in a way that could be extremely dangerous if they do not tap out, but arm breaking is very rare. They let the hold go until the guy taps out, but if a bone does break, or he gets knocked out cold, they stop it immediately.
but for arguments sake, let's take jujitsu guy who knows how to break an arm in 5 secs or less; can he technically just go into the fight, get the guy down and do it quick and it be allowed; and would he win the fight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:24 pm 
Unthought Known

Yes, you can injure your opponent. The purpose of MMA is to render your opponent incapable of continuing the match. Obviously, there are rules, but if someone doesn't tap to a submission immediately, permanent ligament/tendon/nerve damage can be done.

The reason it doesn't happen often is because:

A.) These men know how to defend themselves; they're among the elite combatants in the sport in the world.

B.) Almost momentarily after being locked in a submission that could cause significant damage, the victim taps in order to prevent such damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:25 pm 
Unthought Known

And Mickey, you're a swimmer. Shut up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:29 pm 
Supersonic

inadvertent imitation wrote:
Yes, you can injure your opponent. The purpose of MMA is to render your opponent incapable of continuing the match. Obviously, there are rules, but if someone doesn't tap to a submission immediately, permanent ligament/tendon/nerve damage can be done.

A.) These men know how to defend themselves; they're among the elite combatants in the sport in the world.

B.) Almost momentarily after being locked in a submission that could cause significant damage, the victim taps in order to prevent such damage.
hmmmm... In jujitsu training, we learn many different ways to break different bones very quickly; obviously I'm no MMA fighter :roll: I just think someone with that training could do that but I guess u said that's not the purpose of the fight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:32 pm 
Unthought Known

Theresa wrote:

hmmmm... In jujitsu training, we learn many different ways to break different bones very quickly; obviously I'm no MMA fighter :roll: I just think someone with that training could do that but I guess u said that's not the purpose of the fight

These people hold black belts in multiple concentrations of martial arts; to say the least, getting someone in the ideal position to "break bones very quickly" is unbelievably difficult in competitive MMA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:35 pm 
Supersonic

Theresa wrote:

These people hold black belts in multiple concentrations of martial arts; to say the least, getting someone in the ideal position to "break bones very quickly" is unbelievably difficult in competitive MMA.
I know- I guess they just make it look so damn easy sometimes-ru a fighter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:37 pm 
Unthought Known

Theresa wrote:
Theresa wrote:

I know- I guess they just make it look so damn easy sometimes-ru a fighter?

I used to wrestle, and then stopped at some point during high school, so I haven't been in good enough shape for a few years. I've been training a lot lately, though, because I plan on learning Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at a local academy. Not for competition, but just as a way to stay in shape and have some constructive fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:40 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

This thread is going well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 207  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports