Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 207  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:52 am 
Got Some

Pretty solid PPV. Lambert brought the fucking pain, and it looks even better slowed down a bit.

Am I the only one that would like to see Arlovski move down to 205?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:56 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

MMAWeekly's world rankings (03/06/07)

HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (over 205 pounds)
1. Fedor Emelianenko
2. Mirko Cro Cop
3. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
4. Josh Barnett
5. Randy Couture
6. Tim Sylvia
7. Andrei Arlovski
8. Fabricio Werdum
9. Aleksander Emelianenko
10. Mark Hunt

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (205-pound limit)
1. Chuck Liddell
2. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
3. Ricardo Arona
4. Dan Henderson
5. Wanderlei Silva
6. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
7. Quinton Jackson
8. Tito Ortiz
9. Kazuhiro Nakamura
10. Jason Lambert

MIDDLEWEIGHT DIVISION (185-pound limit)
1. Matt Lindland
2. Anderson Silva
3. Paulo Filho
4. Rich Franklin
5. Dan Henderson
6. Denis Kang
7. Frank Trigg
8. Nathan Marquardt
9. Kazuo Misaki
10. Jeremy Horn

WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION (170-pound limit)
1. Georges St. Pierre
2. Matt Hughes
3. BJ Penn
4. Diego Sanchez
5. Karo Parisyan
6. Jon Fitch
7. Jake Shields
8. Akira Kikuchi
9. Josh Koscheck
10. Josh Burkman

LIGHTWEIGHT DIVISION (160 pounds and lower)
1. Hayato Sakurai
2. Takanori Gomi
3. Gilbert Melendez
4. Nick Diaz
5. Tatsuya Kawajiri
6. Shinya Aoki
7. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro
8. Joachim Hansen
9. Mitsuhiro Ishida
10. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:11 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Rocky Raccoon wrote:
Pretty solid PPV. Lambert brought the fucking pain, and it looks even better slowed down a bit.

the guy is 6-4 and cut as hell at 235, i don't think its possible without losing considerable amounts of muscle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:43 am 
Former PJ Drummer

strongmendieyoung wrote:
Rocky Raccoon wrote:

the guy is 6-4 and cut as hell at 235, i don't think its possible without losing considerable amounts of muscle

It's pretty much not possible without him dying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:09 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Hey ii...notice anything completely fucked about the most recent batch of rankings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:14 am 
Unthought Known

mowbs wrote:
Hey ii...notice anything completely fucked about the most recent batch of rankings?

I was about to post my outrage over Rashad getting completely fucked. He beats Lambert's ass and still gets the shaft.

I'm tellin' you:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:47 pm 
Unthought Known

UFC buying Pride?

What does everyone think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:39 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

washmykev wrote:
UFC buying Pride?

What does everyone think?

I like it. I think it sounds awesome. Check out this article:

Quote:
News is official: Fertitta purchases Pride
by Dave Meltzer
Dave@wrestlingobserver.com

Pride president Nobuyuki Sakakibara announced at a press conference this evening (very early morning U.S. time) at the Tokyo Roppongi Hills that Dream Stage Entertainment has sold the assets of the Pride Fighting Championships to Lorenzo Fertitta-led ownership group of the UFC.

The new company, called Pride Fighting Championships Worldwide, would operate as a separate company from UFC. Sakakibara publicly announced he was leaving the organization. No new organization president was announced nor were much in the way of details given about the future.

An estimated 2,500 fans attended the outdoor press conference, with Sakakibara on the verge of tears when talking about his involvement ending with the organization. Both he and Nobuhiko Takada, as expected, tried to give the impression it was a merger ("a new relationship as one joint team") as opposed to a buyout.

Dana White, Fertitta and Sakakibara followed hours later with a conference call from Japan for the U.S. media to answer questions on the ownership change.

The battle plan will be to run separate shows and maintain separate staffs. The attempt will be to make the promotions competitive rivals, even though they would no longer be business rivals. No specifics were given, but they only seemed to indicate minimal mixing of talent. There would be a Pride roster of fighters and a UFC roster. There would be matches of champions in each promotion, although when and how often had not been determined. The indication was the mixing of talent would be limited to occasional champion vs. champion matches, perhaps once per year in each weight class, where neither specific title would be at stake. Although White or Fertitta would bring up any names of specific dream fights to the U.S. press, in the Japanese meeting he brought up Fedor Emelianenko vs. Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Shogun Rua, Dan Henderson vs. Anderson Silva, Josh Barnett vs. Andrei Arlovsky and Georges St. Pierre vs. Takanori Gomi as potential matches.

Pride would continue holding matches in the ring and be, as Fertitta called it, a "Japanese-centric" organization while UFC would be an "American-centric" organization. The only significant change talked about would be worldwide unified rules would be put in place, which would be the same rules UFC fights under, with the elimination of knees to the head on a downed fighter, stomps and soccer kicks in Pride, but adding elbows. White said Pride would keep its judging criteria for fights in Japan, but obviously, when running in the U.S., would use the commission-dictated ten-point-must system. Pride will also have weight classes change for worldwide consistency, and will crown champions at 155, 170, 185, 205 and heavyweight. Currently Pride has champions at 161 (Takanori Gomi), 183 (Dan Henderson), 205 (Henderson) and heavyweight (Fedor Emelianenko).

No new television deal, which Pride desperately needs in both Japan and the U.S. to be viable long-term, were announced. White did mention hoping to get back on the Fuji Network. Pride will run shows in the U.S., although no date for a next show was announced. UFC is looking at running shows in Japan.

Fertitta and White indicated Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko is under contract to the new organization.

Dream Stage Entertainment's final event will be on 4/8 from the Saitama Super Arena. They announced a Pride vs. UFC match with Jeff Monson vs. Kazuyuki Fujita today, although that bout had been expected even before the deal was finalized and Monson had gotten out of his UFC contract. Also announced was a Pride pro wrestler type battle with Minowa Man (the new ring name for Ikuhisa Minowa) vs. Don Frye (returning to Pride with the expiration of his K-1 contract). The new organization plans on keeping the current schedule commitment of Pride events.

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/new ... ?aID=19057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:58 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I was reading another forum, and someone brought up some interesting points:

Quote:
This is going to kill the sport. Anytime one company acquires another it takes everything that is good from the company it purchased and leaves the other organization with scraps....

The good news is that in the short term we will be able to see all the dream fights we have always wanted to see. Only problem is that once all those fights have taken place, then the UFC wont have to put on good cards for the simple fact that there isnt really any competition.

Elite XC despite what some people think isnt competition. At the moment K1 isnt either, although im sure they will acquire contracts because of this. The IFL is cool, but isnt a serious competitor...

To further illustrate my point....look at the quality of the WWE when it had WCW to compete against....look at the WWE now. THey dont put on good shows too often.....because they dont have to.

I think this is bad for MMA...short term its exciting as hell, but 5 years from now, I think the sport drops off big time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:13 am 
Unthought Known

The way I look at it... with the way this sport has grown in just the last three years, 5 years from now when all these dream fights are over, we'll still have the Nick Diaz's, Mike Bisping's, Shogun's etc. to entertain us. Plus with the evolution of the fighter increasing at such a rapid pace, 5 years from now there might actually be a guy that can beat Fedor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:52 pm 
BLOODY FKKN RED TEAM FAN

Rampage Jackson vs. Chuck Liddell, May 26th Las Vegas.

J88Ryan everywhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:10 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

J38ryan wrote:

I don't like how they are giving him a shot already. He's one of the best 205ers in the world, I won't dispute that. But a sloppy victory over a B-level opponent isn't enough to warrant a test with Liddell. Page isn't ready and he is going to get murdered. At the very least, they should have given him one more fight before feeding him to Chuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:21 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

There's a bunch of UFC stuff to look forward to at the end of this week.

Replace Mir with Justin McCully, who is apparently filling in for him. They will also be airing a bout between Kenny Florian and Dokonjonosuke Mishima. It should be a solid free card, if you ask me; highlighting four very talented lightweights. I'm pulling for Stevenson in the main event.

Immediately following that broadcast will be the premiere of The Ultimate Fighter season 5. The format will be 16 lightweight fighters who will compete under coaches BJ Penn and Jens Pulver.

Main card
-Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra for welterweight title
-Diego Sanchez vs. Josh Koscheck
-Roger Huerta vs. Leonard Garcia
-Mike Swick vs. Yushin Okami
-Kendall Grove vs. Alan Belcher

Preliminary card
-Brad Imes vs. Heath Herring
-Thales Leites vs. Pete Sell
-Marcus Davis vs. Pete Spratt
-Luke Cummo vs. Josh Haynes

I like Serra, but I don't think anyone is really giving him a chance in this fight, and with good reason. The Sanchez/Koscheck and Swick/Okami fights should be the show-stoppers. Both bouts have title shot implications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:08 pm 
BLOODY FKKN RED TEAM FAN

mowbs wrote:
J38ryan wrote:

I don't like how they are giving him a shot already. He's one of the best 205ers in the world, I won't dispute that. But a sloppy victory over a B-level opponent isn't enough to warrant a test with Liddell. Page isn't ready and he is going to get murdered. At the very least, they should have given him one more fight before feeding him to Chuck.

You do realize, Rampage knocked Liddell out in Pride about 3 years ago?

It's on youtube.

J88Ryan everywhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:35 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

J38ryan wrote:
mowbs wrote:
J38ryan wrote:

You do realize, Rampage knocked Liddell out in Pride about 3 years ago?

It's on youtube.

I'm well aware. And Marvin Eastman beat Jackson 6 years ago, who cares?

That loss was three years before Liddell went on what is arguably the most dominant 7-win streak UFC history, all against elite fighters. He has barely been touched since his lost to Rampage.

Page's last two bouts have been rocky. His decision over Lindland (who fights one weight lower) was extremely controversial and he found himself in a bit of a dog fight with Eastman, who has a notoriously weak chin.

Liddell, on the other hand, has his style perfected. At this point in his career, the only way someone is going to take him out is if they can beat him by striking. After the Eastman bout, I have little confidence in Jackson's ability to pull this off. Wrestlers can't keep Chuck down and jiu-jitsu grapplers can't get him to the ground. His overhand right and sneaky one-punch-KO style is too sneaky and difficult to overcome with his impeccable takedown defense.

Page was nervous in his first UFC fight, he mentioned this. I do believe that he wasn't 100% in that bout, but Chuck is on a roll with revenge on his mind (speaking of which, let's not forget how he has never lost a rematch).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:20 am 
BLOODY FKKN RED TEAM FAN

I was at UFC 67 and was not that impressed with Rampage either, but the fact is, he did beat Liddell. That's enough in my book for a match. It will sell like crazy. I will be pulling for Liddell. He is by far the most entertaining fighter in the world.

J88Ryan everywhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:04 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I gotta say, kids, I'm pumped for tonight. Stevenson/Guillard should be a war, then we get a new season of TUF. I'm glad it's all lightweights. That's my favorite division.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:40 am 
Unthought Known

mowbs wrote:
I gotta say, kids, I'm pumped for tonight. Stevenson/Guillard should be a war, then we get a new season of TUF. I'm glad it's all lightweights. That's my favorite division.

Stevenson by Triangle, Rd. 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:28 am 
BLOODY FKKN RED TEAM FAN

washmykev wrote:
mowbs wrote:

Stevenson by Triangle, Rd. 2

More like second #2.....

J88Ryan everywhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:43 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Jesus, does Stevenson do guillotines in his sleep? It's rare enough that somebody is submitted by one, let alone when they have their arm in there. Daddy is looking real good. He's done enough to deserve the next shot at Sherk after Franca gets his over the summer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 207  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports