Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 207  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:45 am 
Unthought Known

That was some fucking kick.

Poor guy. He won the first round no doubt, even if he did look gassed 30 seconds into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:04 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

LycoDave wrote:
Goodnight Sean Salmon!

Salmon's game was a little shaky, but he got the best of Evans in the first round; beating him on the wrestling end. I'm sure they will give him another opportunity against someone who isn't a top contender. Evans looks pretty tough. He's evolved so much since the show, and that head kick proves a lot.

Is he ready for Liddell? Of course not. But has he earned a shot? I'm not sure...he still hasn't fought anyone who is that good. I didn't realize Jardine was on his team, so that kind of mixes things up in that division. It doesn't matter though, because Rampage is better than all of them.

Props to Rashad. He improves every time he fights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:20 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

As for the rest of the show...

Franca/Fisher was a fun fight to watch. I'm very impressed with Hermes. That was a really interesting TKO with Fisher still standing. I don't think I've seen that before, but it was a reasonable stoppage. I'm sure Franca is next in line for a shot. Him and Sherk will be a good bout.

Heath Herring is an asshole. I thought he might bring some life to the division, but then I remembered he hasn't done anything good in about four years. O'Brien owned him and Herring's cocky, crouching stance was retarded. He looked like he never trained to defend a takedown in his life, and then he has the balls to talk trash on wrestling at the end. It's MMA, bud. If you wanna box, go box and get your ass whooped there too. O'Brien stalled his ass off in the third round, no doubt...but that doesn't change the fact that he completely owned Herring and picked apart his gameplan.

Chris Price was 7 fucking pounds overweight? I honestly can't even comprehend that. That's an absolute disgrace. He obviously didn't even want to fight. He looked like he was going to cry last night during the introductions. Props to Herman for getting his first UFC win (very nice submission technique), I just hope his head doesn't get too big, because Price is nothing special.

Here are the rest of the results:
Rich Clementi defeats Ross Pointon with a choke, round 2. - Sorry, Ross...you have a great personality, but your time is up. It's obvious that you can't hang with the big boys.

Din Thomas defeats Clay Guida by unanimous decision. - From what I hear, this was a very exciting fight from two guys who looked impressive in their previous bouts. Thomas was my favorite fighter form TUF 4, so I'm glad to see him working his way up the division. He'll be a top 5 contender in no time.

Josh Burkman defeats Chad Reiner by unanimous decision.

Nathan Marquardt defeats Dean Lister by unanimous decision. - Lister apparently got his ass whooped, and I think a couple of the judges scored the bout 30-25. This result doesn't surprise me. Marquardt is on a fucking tear. It's either him or Swick who should be getting the next shot at Silva, unless MacDonald beats Franklin in March.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:32 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Live show:
-Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter
-Mirko Cro Cop vs. Eddie Sanchez
-Quinton Jackson vs. Marvin Eastman
-John Halverson vs. Roger Huerta
-Patrick Cote vs. Scott Smith

May not be aired:
-Dustin Hazelett vs. Diego Saraiva (Melvin Guillard's training partner. Replacing him due to injury :( )
-Tyson Griffin vs. Frank Edgar
-Jorge Rivera vs. Terry Martin
-Ryoto Machida vs. Sam Hoger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:22 am 
Former PJ Drummer

They actually started showing clips of Cro Cop this week on Spike.

:li:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:17 am 
Unthought Known

Well... Main event is no longer a title match. Lutter couldn't make weight.

If I can get off of work early enough, i'll still buy it, but only for cro-cop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:48 am 
Unthought Known

Anderson's pretty much going to kick the shit out of Lutter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:12 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

washmykev wrote:
Well... Main event is no longer a title match. Lutter couldn't make weight.

That's horrible.

I heard he was two pounds over, and he had two hours to work it off. He only lost a half pound in those two hours. Either he is sucked down as light as he can possibly go, or he didn't discipline himself to lose the weight. I hate when champs are in non-title fights.

My beef with the card tonight is that it is very one-sided. I'm not expecting any real close bouts in the main card, except Cote and Smith. But of course, they need to make Rampage and Cro Cop look like the baddest dudes on the planet, so it makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:34 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Ugh as if the card couldn't get any worse. I guess there is still Cro Cop. This is gonna be a hell of an expensive beat-down, hope it's worth it.

You can only cut so much water. My guess is that Lutter probably cut 10-15lb of it the day before so 2 hours isn't really gonna let you lose anymore if you are already dehydrated. Still, no excuse for that really. Not for someone who seems as smart and experienced as Lutter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:35 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

mowbs wrote:
But of course, they need to make Rampage and Cro Cop look like the baddest dudes on the planet, so it makes sense.

Not exactly a hard thing to do... I mean, they pretty much are the baddest dudes on the planet, with very few exceptions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:24 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

For those that didn't get to watch last night...

Silva over Lutter, submission (triangle/elbows)

Cro Cop over Sanchez, TKO

"Rampage" Jackson over Eastman, TKO

Cote over Smith, unanimous decision

Huerta over Halverson, TKO

The quality of fights this time around wasn't nearly as good as UFC 66. None of the fights were as good as Liddell vs. Ortiz or the Bisping fight. Lutter did surprisingly well and had a couple chances to finish off Silva, which he luckily didn't being a moron and missing weight. The Jackson vs. Eastman fight was pretty good esp. in the first round, 2nd round Eastman was more on the defensive and just got tore apart by Rampage strikes.

The Cro Cop fight was just about what we were all expecting I think. Fucking hilarious. Eddie Sanchez looked like he was about 1 second from straight turning around and running away. He had no chance in hell. A heavybag probably puts up more of a fight against Cro Cop. At least we got to see the bad man in action. I got all sorts of chills seeing him enter the arena for the first time and all that good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:41 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Not the greatest card overall, but I still enjoyed the night.

The best fight of the night was by far that undercard bout between Frankie Edgar and Tyson Griffin that they showed after the main event. What a war that was. Edgar has a lot of heart and some serious wrestling skills. I like him a lot and I hope he makes the main card in his next fight. The lightweight division in the UFC is awesome - Franca, Guillard, Din Thomas, Fisher, Joe Stevenson, Edgar, Huerta, and ofcourse, Sherk and Florian...very competitive. There should be some great matchups in the near future.

How about Terry Martin knocking out Jorge Rivera in 14 seconds? I don't really like him all that much, but this is his first fight at middleweight. I don't expect him to be much of a force, as he didn't really show that much at LHW, but you never know.

I really wanted to see Ryoto Machida's fight. It was his octagon debut, and he beat Sam Hoger by unanimous decision. He's undefeated right now and so far the only person other than Anderson Silva to stop Rich Franklin.

Cote vs. Smith was ok, but the thing that annoyed me about Cote was that he had Smith hurt, but he didn't go for the KO. He was content with the decision, and that's kind of a bitch move, if you ask me. He still didn't deserved to get booed. American fans can be such douchebags sometimes.

Rampage did not look like Rampage, but I give him props for admitting he was nervous after the fight. Eastman really wanted to win, and it made for a pretty excitiing first round. Marvin's chin is pretty weak, though, and Quinton isn't the first to have exposed that. He needs at least one more tune-up fight before he gets his shot at Liddell. Judging by his fight with Eastman, he's not ready for the champ just yet.

Yea, Cro Cop beat the shit out of Sanchez. No surprise there. Word is that he'll be fighting Cheick Kongo at UFC 70. They're saying he'll get his shot at Sylvia afer this. I think that's cool, and I'm glad they're not putting him against an A-level opponent like Arlovski yet, because that would make for a great title fight. I really want Couture to beat Sylvia next month (I think I'm one of the few who actually thinks that he can), but if The Natural can pulls it off, I'm not looking forward to a fight between him and Cro Cop. I'd be rooting for Randy, though...always do.

Roger Huerta improved to 18-1-1 with a 19 second knockout over John Halverson. Very impressive. I'd like to see him and Frankie Edgar go at it.

Ok...Lutter is a prick for not making weight. Like Silva said, that is disrespectful to him, the title and the fans. It's complete bullshit. He's a 33-year-old man who made 185 for the TUF 4 finals about 3 or 4 months ago. He obviously was stupid about it and probably tried losing all of the weight in about two days. The fact that he was unable to drop two pounds in two hours is very surprising. But...all that aside, I think we would have seen a completely different fight had it been for the title. Lutter won the first round. He had Silva - middleweight champ and BJJ black belt - mounted. That was impressive. That's a hell of a lot more than Franklin or Leben ever showed against Silva. Everyone thinks that he submitted Lutter with the triangle in the second, but I don't believe that's true. Lutter is a fucking warrior. He was pretty much out of that triangle and the reason he tapped is because he was getting elbowed in the head repeatedly. I gathered two things from this fight: first (and I don't know how much longer Travis will be fighting with the UFC) Lutter is a legitimate threat to any middleweight. He can beat Silva, and under different circumstances, that fight could've been a lot moe interesting. Not saying he would have won, but I like his chances a lot more than say...Tito's against Chuck. Second, Silva showed alot of vulnerability last night. A world-class wrestler (which Lutter is far from) can absolutely defeat The Spider. Those were not the greatest shots that Lutter was taking, but he took him down some 2 or 3 times pretty easily. Lutter fought very smart and did not trade with him on the feet. Everyone knows to stay the fuck out of the clinch, and Silva did show that he is capable of doing his thing on the ground, but he did not show that he had much knowledge in the area of takedown defense. Anderson better hope that the UFC doesn't get a hold of Lindland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Nice review mowbs. Thumbsup

I agree, best fight was Edgar v. Griffin. I like both of those guys a lot but I'm glad Edgar got the win. You could tell Griffin was totally overwhelmed at the level of fight Edgar was constantly bringing. One of the most exciting fights I've seen yet, aside from the total damage done during the fight seeming kind of low in my opinion.

I couldn't understand why they were booing Cote. The whole fight deserved booing, especially Smith, because I know he is capable of much better than that. Smith's performance reminded me of Griffin's in his last fight - he is a much better fighter but his gameplan and execution fucking sucked. No idea what his deal was, if he was just unmotivated or something, but Cote should have been an easy win for him imo.

Kongo isn't a top tier fighter because he has absolutely no ground game or defense. That being said, him vs. Cro Cop will be a hell of a fight because we will see his full potential. I'm not saying I think Kongo stands much of a chance, but at least we don't have to watch him get taken down and manhandled for 3 rounds. I really hope Sylvia does not get beaten by Couture and that is for one reason and one reason only - I want to see Cro Cop bury his fat ass. I don't want Cro Cop to have to fight Couture because honestly I fear for his health, holy shit he is too old to be taking a sledgehammer kick to the head.

And Lutter, man, yeah, enough said. He barely deserves another fight in the UFC at all. As far as Silva, I still think Franklin is capable of beating him. Silva seems like a real predictable fighter in that, if you don't know what to expect, you will get destroyed, but you can easily plan for him and work around his strengths. I think Franklin is better rounded and with a different strategy we could see a different outcome. Of course we will see how Franklin does in 69 (i forgot who he is fighting?) but I think he should cash in on a rematch soon if he does well.

Last edited by Buffalohed on Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:31 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Buffalohed wrote:
Of course we will see how Franklin does in 69 (i forgot who he is fighting?)

Jason MacDonald. Dude who just subbed Ed Herman and Chris Leben. Excellent and unorthodox submission power, horrible striker.

Franklin by KO, if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:48 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Hey Showtime subscribers, if you haven't heard by now, you have some free MMA to look forward to this Saturday:
This is Elite XC's first real event since the promotion was announced in December. Obviously, this isn't any real threat to UFC or anything like that, but hell, any MMA is good MMA (even if Bill Goldberg and Mario Lopez ar eannouncing, haha), especially since I'll be able to watch this for free.

Main card:
-Frank Shamrock (21-7-1) vs. Renzo Gracie (11-6-1)
-Wesley "Cabbage" Correira (18-11) vs. Antonio Silva (9-1)
-Joey Villasenor (22-5) vs. Davis "The Crow" Loiseau (14-6)
-Charles Bennett (22-10-2) vs. KJ Noons (3-0)
-Julie Kedzie (8-4) vs. Gina Carano (3-0) [surprisingly, both of these chicks aren't bad looking]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:51 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

This reminds me, does anyone else absolutely hate Joe Rogan? What a moron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:54 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Buffalohed wrote:
This reminds me, does anyone else absolutely hate Joe Rogan? What a moron.

Haha...are you serious? Why?

I'd say Mike Goldberg is the moron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:01 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Mike Goldberg is a moron too but he doesn't talk as much. 90% of the time I just wish Joe Rogan would shut up. He says the dumbest shit.

Like how he used to always say they have a guillotine. "HE'S GOT A GUILLOTINE LOCKED IN TIGHT" we would hear every fucking fight. Dude, almost noone gets submitted from that, stop saying it every time the guys head is under his arm. :roll:

I don't know, he says a lot of really obvious stupid shit, it gets on my nerves.

I would rather have Couture or someone similar announcing, someone who actually knows what is going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:39 am 
Former PJ Drummer

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14bcp ... -vs-crocop

Haha...saw this on the net today. Unbelievable. I fucking love wrestlers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:44 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

mowbs wrote:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14bcp_pride-randelman-vs-crocop

Haha...saw this on the net today. Unbelievable. I fucking love wrestlers.

That video makes me sad. Punchers chance :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 207  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports