Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 207  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:05 pm 
Unthought Known

mowbs wrote:
HAHA! FUCK YOU, KEV. PRIDE HAS A NEW MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION - DAN HENDERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!
I fucking told everyone he could do it and not one god damn person I ever had a conversation with about this fight believed in him. Wrestlers are the baddest mother fuckers on the planet. Knocked him out too. he is the fucking man - holding two belts! Before the fight, they kept showing clips of Liddell and they were yapping about how he is scared to face Wanderlei and all of that. Fuck you, Silva. If you got knocked out by Dan Henderson, do you have any idea what Chuck would do to you?

I don't know if anyone got around to watching this card, but it was one of the most exciting MMA events I have ever seen. It was an awesome night of upsets.

Nick Diaz submitted Taknori Gomi in a non-title fight. It was an absolute war. Gomi got a little cocky and he paid the price. Diaz seems to have a new attitude, and I think it is working in his favor. Gomi opened him up real nice around the eye, but Nick kept coming at him the whole time. He made an interesting comment after the fight: "I'll fight anybody in the welterweight division." Is 160 too much for him to lose? If it isn't, he better keep his ass down there and snag that belt off Gomi.

Coming out of retirement and off of a dominant victory over highly regarded Jason Miller, Frank Trigg won a very impressive unanimous decision over Kazuo Misaki, who is ranked 4th in the world. He was in complete control the entire match, and all three judges scored the bout 30-27. Trigg is looking nice at 185, and he is obviously the real deal.

At 205, a new fighter from Africa, Judo national champion Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, knocked out Little Nog in 23 seconds! He just ducked under, nailed him with one left hook and that was all she wrote. This was only the 4th MMA fight in his career. The announcers were discussing how Lil Nog became Brazilian representative for boxing in the Olympics shortly before he was KO'ed.

I'm getting around to downloading the card now. I was absolutely fucking shocked to hear Henderson won, and I think i've got to see it to believe it. All i'm going to say is he better be praying to god he gets someone other than Shogun for his first title defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:34 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Yeah, I had to download it too. I'm surprised you looked at the results (at least for the title fight) before doing so.

And if you didn't read the rest of the results, I'm sorry if I spoiled anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:30 am 
Unthought Known

mowbs wrote:
Yeah, I had to download it too. I'm surprised you looked at the results (at least for the title fight) before doing so.

And if you didn't read the rest of the results, I'm sorry if I spoiled anything.

Nah, if I don't order the card live, I usually always read the results. MMA torrents seem to take longer than I can handle not knowing who won.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:33 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

New MMA weekly rankings (2/27/07)

HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (over 205 pounds)
1. Fedor Emelianenko
2. Mirko Cro Cop
3. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
4. Josh Barnett
5. Tim Sylvia
6. Andrei Arlovski
7. Fabricio Werdum
8. Aleksander Emelianenko
9. Mark Hunt
10. Brandon Vera

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (205-pound limit)
1. Chuck Liddell
2. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
3. Ricardo Arona
4. Dan Henderson
5. Wanderlei Silva
6. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
7. Renato "Babalu" Sobral
8. Quinton Jackson
9. Tito Ortiz
10. Kazuhiro Nakamura

MIDDLEWEIGHT DIVISION (185-pound limit)
1. Matt Lindland
2. Anderson Silva
3. Paulo Filho
4. Rich Franklin
5. Dan Henderson
6. Denis Kang
7. Frank Trigg
8. Nathan Marquardt
9. Kazuo Misaki
10. Jeremy Horn

WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION (170-pound limit)
1. Georges St. Pierre
2. Matt Hughes
3. BJ Penn
4. Diego Sanchez
5. Karo Parisyan
6. Jon Fitch
7. Jake Shields
8. Akira Kikuchi
9. Josh Koscheck
10. Josh Burkman

LIGHTWEIGHT DIVISION (160 pounds and lower)
1. Hayato Sakurai
2. Takanori Gomi
3. Gilbert Melendez
4. Nick Diaz
5. Tatsuya Kawajiri
6. Shinya Aoki
7. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro
8. Joachim Hansen
9. Mitsuhiro Ishida
10. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:19 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Over the past months, MMA Weekly has proven to hate Sean Sherk and have a boner for Nick Diaz.

They kept Diaz in the top 10 after he lost consecutive unanimous decisions to Sanchez, Riggs and Sherk. They only had Sherk ranked 10th after he won the UFC lightweight belt, even though he went the distance with Matt Hughes, the only fighter to ever finish him is GSP, and he holds career victories over Diaz and Parisyan.

Now all of the sudden Diaz is ranked 6th and Sherk isn't even in the picture? Diaz has had one fight at lightweight. Yeah, Gomi is a huge win to say the least, and I don't have a problem with Diaz being ranked somewhere among the top 10 lightweights, but it's pretty much absurd that Sherk is now unranked, let alone the fact that Diaz is ahead of him.

ImageImage
Damn...Gomi fucked him up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:46 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Anyone gonna be watching UFC 68 tonight? I'm not, though I do want to see Franklin and Macdonald.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:53 am 
Unthought Known

Hahahaha. Sup, Sylvia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:37 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

inadvertent imitation wrote:
Hahahaha. Sup, Sylvia?

Couture is the fuckin man. what's funny is a friend of mine called the overhand right after the touching of the gloves in the first round before the fight started. i only wish couture could have pinned sylvia against the cage and spanked him like he did tito a few years back. that was a classic fight for couture and i think it says a lot about sylvia's chump ass being "champion".

i thought the rest of the card was a little boring though. the fights just weren't as fast paced as i thought they'd be, but overall it was ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:45 am 
Unthought Known

strongmendieyoung wrote:
inadvertent imitation wrote:
Hahahaha. Sup, Sylvia?

Couture is the fuckin man. what's funny is a friend of mine called the overhand right after the touching of the gloves in the first round before the fight started. i only wish couture could have pinned sylvia against the cage and spanked him like he did tito a few years back. that was a classic fight for couture and i think it says a lot about sylvia's chump ass being "champion".

i thought the rest of the card was a little boring though. the fights just weren't as fast paced as i thought they'd be, but overall it was ok.

Yeah, that was really cool for Couture. It's a shame Cro-Cop is going to kick his head down into his ribcage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:56 am 
Unthought Known

Fucking incredible. I enjoyed the card overall, but the main event was really a fucking moment. All those people calling Henderson the greatest american fighter ever have got to be kicking themselves now.

I am so impressed with Randy. At this point, I almost don't want to see him lose to Cro-Cop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:59 am 
Unthought Known

What a huge difference between UFC 68 and Pride 33. 68 couldn't have gone any better for the UFC as far as wins go, and Pride 33 couldn't have possibly gotten any worse for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:13 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Incredible is all I have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:25 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Buffalohed wrote:
I really hope Sylvia does not get beaten by Couture and that is for one reason and one reason only - I want to see Cro Cop bury his fat ass. I don't want Cro Cop to have to fight Couture because honestly I fear for his health, holy shit he is too old to be taking a sledgehammer kick to the head.

So pretty much everyone is saying the same thing now. I'm really happy for Randy and what a great victory, and glad that fat fuck got dethroned by a great Champion. I don't think he stands a chance against Cro Cop though and I really don't want to see him get demolished. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:08 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Haha...yea, that was unbelievable.

I'm actually glad the fight didn't end after Couture got that first knockdown. I think Randy kind of surprised himself with that and he wasn't ready to capitalize on it. It was much better to watch Randy unquestionably win all 5 rounds while absolutely dominating both the stand-up and ground game, leaving no hope for some kind of stupid rematch. There wasn't an ounce of controversy and Couture is the better fighter. I wouldn't count him out against Cro Cop. To say that stranger things have happened in the MMA world would be an understatement.

How about the other upset? Jason Lambert just knocked out a top 10 fighter in Babalu. And about 4 or 5 months ago, Rashad Evans beat the shit out of Lambert. So what does this say about Evans' skills? Does he have what it takes to beat a top 10 fighter like Tito? (whose position in the rankings is fading fast).

Hughes/Lytle was pretty boring and I don't know if it was a matter of Lytle hanging in there well or Hughes not doing enough to finish. Either way, he doesn't look like the same Matt Hughes and he'll likely suffer the same fate against GSP in their rubber match. I hope he's not past his prime.

Rich Franklin looked excellent. As I assumed, MacDonald wasn't able to stand with him. Franklin is a very well-rounded fighter and MacDonald had no answer for anything he threw at him. I'm excited for a rematch against Silva. I'm not sure when that'll be, but the UFC announced that Silva will be dfended the belt in July at UFC 72 against a deserving challenger, Nathan Marquardt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:14 pm 
Unthought Known

I've been on the Evans bandwagon for some time now, I definitely think he's something special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:36 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:00 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

babalu, you have disappointed me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:07 am 
Former PJ Drummer

strongmendieyoung wrote:

For real.

You gotta wonder what's next for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:42 am 
Unthought Known

mowbs wrote:
strongmendieyoung wrote:

For real.

You gotta wonder what's next for him.

Hopefully Tito, while they can still make some money off the fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:19 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

PRIDE Cancels Next Planned U.S. Show
March 05, 2007
mmawekly.com

Al Yu and Ken Pishna wrote:
MMAWeekly has confirmed that Pride’s April 28th show in the U.S. has been canceled. The event listing has been removed from the schedule on Pride’s official website.

The cancellation follows news of President of Pride USA Ed Fishman’s potential lawsuit with Dream Stage Entertainment, parent company of Pride Fighting Championships. Following Pride 33, Fishman and Pride had a falling out due to disagreements over several issues. Part of the rift stems from differing views on business agreements in the United States, and part of the rift stems from Fishman’s public push to buy Pride outright.

Sources close to MMAWeekly have reported that DSE offered to buy Ed Fishman out of his contract and relieve him of his duties as President of Pride USA, but that there is a dispute over the dollar amount that would be owed to Fishman if a buyout were to take place. Fishman is apparently prepared to pursue legal action on the matter.

All of this has come to a head recently due to Pride’s heavily rumored financial troubles. Pride has received multiple offers for the company’s purchase, with the two most prominent coming from Zuffa (the UFC’s parent company) and Fishman. DSE has consistently denied that Pride is for sale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 207  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports