Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 207  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:44 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Dude FSN is crap. I haven't seen either of them fight on the Pride shows. I get FSNSW, dunno if that matters.

Also I don't even know when it plays, its like you just have to catch it at random times. The fact that I rarely watch TV except for football/ufc doesn't help.

I've gotten some excellent quality full Pride shows online though. I have shockwave 04 and 05, final countdown something, best of KO special thing, and open weight grand prix 06, along with some other random stuff I think, like the show in the US where Fedor destroyed uh...shit... that american wrestler, im drawing a blank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:46 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Buffalohed wrote:
like the show in the US where Fedor destroyed uh...shit... that american wrestler, im drawing a blank.

Mark Coleman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:50 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Haha yeah I kept thinking Mark Hunt and knew that wasn't it.

Have you tried mininova or piratebay.org? They have some full Pride shows, though they are between 1 and 4gbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:52 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Buffalohed wrote:
Haha yeah I kept thinking Mark Hunt and knew that wasn't it.

Have you tried mininova or piratebay.org? They have some full Pride shows, though they are between 1 and 4gbs.

Yea, those are the kind of places I go for them. It just sucks that it's the only way I can ever catch a pride ppv. None of my friends would watch it with me, but I have a bunch of friends I watch UFC with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:54 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Yup. And let's be honest - while Pride PPVs have pretty thick cards usually, I'm tired of seeing fat japanese people who can't fight get smashed by real fighters.

Soon enough there will be no need to bother with Pride at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:56 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

On the subject of PRIDE...they're next event is Feb 24th:

And who is he defending his belt against? The current welterweight champ, Dan Henderson!!!!

No other fights have been announced yet, but this is absolutely killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:07 am 
Unthought Known

mowbs wrote:
On the subject of PRIDE...they're next event is Feb 24th:

I'm really not too excited about this one. It's alays exciting to see Wanderlei fight, but I don't hold too much stock in Dan Henderson. I mean, he's a great figher and all... but he's always been one of those fighters I haven't really been able to get into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:06 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I really like Dan Henderson but.... what are the weight rules here? If it's an open weight fight, Wanderlei is going to puff up to well over 200. There is already a big enough weight difference to be significant. Honestly I just don't give Henderson more than a small chance in this matchup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:58 am 
Former PJ Drummer

RANDY COUTURE TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT AND CHALLENGE TIM SYLVIA!!!!
Quote:
MMAWeekly has confirmed through various independent sources close to the situation that Randy “The Natural” Couture is set to announce his return from retirement. Never one to sidestep a challenge, his first opponent is to be UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia.

Couture surprisingly announced his retirement less than a year ago following a loss to UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell at UFC 57. At the time, having just lost 2 out of 3 fights with Liddell, it appeared there weren’t many choice fights left for the first man to win titles in two different UFC weight classes.

Always a competitive spirit, Couture has since competed on Spike TV’s “Pros vs. Joes” and fought to a draw in a professional submission grappling match with Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza. It now appears that Couture is ready for a new challenge in MMA, returning to the heavyweight division to confront Sylvia at UFC 68 on March 3rd in Ohio.

There had been negotiations to have Sylvia make his next title defense against heavyweight contender Brandon Vera. But Vera has only one fight left on his current contract and the UFC will not extend a title shot to a fighter that could wind up leaving the promotion following the fight. Apparently negotiations on an extension with Vera are at an impasse with sources revealing that Vera is asking for a rather large signing bonus that the UFC is unwilling to agree to. It is likely that Vera will end up sitting for much of the remainder of his contract, reportedly in the neighborhood of eight months, and then be given a fight in a preliminary bout to finish out his contract.

Despite taking some flack for not being as exciting as some fans would like recently, Sylvia has been on a tear winning his last six fights in a row, pushing his record to 23-2. The streak includes an impressive knockout of Tra Telligman, a decision over Assuerio Silva, a TKO of Andre Arlovski to regain the heavyweight title, and decision defenses against Arlovski and Jeff Monson.

Having just added a three-fight extension to the one fight left on his previous contract, Sylvia poses a difficult task for Couture. He is much larger than Couture, cutting weight to make the 265-pound limit of the heavyweight division and stands 6’8” tall. Couture has had difficulty with larger fighters in the past, he lost to both Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez, neither of which has the size of Sylvia.

In a post-fight interview at UFC 57, MMAWeekly co-founder Ryan Bennett told Couture, “Captain America can’t retire… you’re not going anywhere.” Couture responded with a chuckle saying, “It’s gotta end sometime. I’m ready to focus on something else.” Although his focus did shift to other areas for a while, Couture never really strayed too far. And now, Captain America is ready to return.

http://www.mmaweekly.com

Please oh please let this be for the title. Holy shit, that would be fucking unreal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:03 pm 
Unthought Known

Supposedly it's for the title. I can't say i'm too excited though. I love Randy, but he's going to have a really, really tough time taking down Sylvia. I would have rather seen Vera get the shot, but apparently his contract negotiations aren't going too well. That only leaves Cro Cop, Herring, or Gonzaga. CC and Herring are way too new... and Gonzaga needs another 1-2 wins. So I guess it makes sense to get Couture to fight. I bet he's making a boatload of money for this.

It'll be interesting to see what he's still got in him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:11 am 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

What ever happened with that dude Rulon Gardner fighting? I watched him kick some japanese dudes ass pretty bad and never heard anything else. He seemed like he would be a pretty tough dude to bead considering his size and wrestling ability. He was dropping the dude with solid punches repeatedly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:01 am 
Unthought Known

jimmac24 wrote:
What ever happened with that dude Rulon Gardner fighting? I watched him kick some japanese dudes ass pretty bad and never heard anything else. He seemed like he would be a pretty tough dude to bead considering his size and wrestling ability. He was dropping the dude with solid punches repeatedly.

That would be Hidehiko Yoshida. Good fight. Rulon's Wiki says he's currently doing work as a motivational speaker. Seems like kind of a waste of talent to me, but good for him. He was also the host of a really boring wrestling show on FSN or something a couple years back. I don't know if he is still training or not, but I'd like to see him back in an MMA ring. I remember reading a Fedor interview, and he was on a small list of people Fedor wanted to fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:09 am 
Former PJ Drummer

washmykev wrote:
Supposedly it's for the title. I can't say i'm too excited though. I love Randy, but he's going to have a really, really tough time taking down Sylvia. I would have rather seen Vera get the shot, but apparently his contract negotiations aren't going too well. That only leaves Cro Cop, Herring, or Gonzaga. CC and Herring are way too new... and Gonzaga needs another 1-2 wins. So I guess it makes sense to get Couture to fight. I bet he's making a boatload of money for this.

It'll be interesting to see what he's still got in him.

Couture has been doing things and keeping in shape. I saw a pic of him (I'll try to find it in a sec) where he looked like a very solid 230.

But you're right, the odds are against him. Couture is one of my all-time favorites, and you can never count him out. Sylvia has never fought a wrestler as good as Randy, but his reach, strength, and youth should prevail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Watched Inside the UFC last night. Couture made it official - he is returning to the octagon with a 4-fight, 2-year contract, and his first opponent will be Tim Sylvia on March 3rd. The heavyweight belt will be on the line.

WAR RANDY!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

The card has been set, and it's easily the best TV card the UFC has offered us yet, which is likely do to the fact that there is no PPV this month. I wish they would show all 8 fights, but I know they won't.

Rashad Evans vs. Sean Salmon
Nathan Marquardt vs. Dean Lister
Ed Herman vs. Chris Price
Heath Herring vs. Jake O'Brien
Hermes Franca vs. Spencer Fisher
Chad Reiner vs. Josh Burkman
Clay Guida vs. Din Thomas
Ross Pointon vs. Rich Clementi

Salmon is making his UFC debut. He's 9-1, and I really don't know shit about him, so I assume this fight is used to help fulfill whatever kind of contract Evans earned by winning TUF 2.

Marquardt is great, and he's one a 5-win streak. Lister looked like absolute shit in his last fight, even though he won. I'm taking Marquardt, and he'll be pretty close to a title shot if he wins.

Price just lost to Kendall Grove, so I don't think he has Herman's number, but I'll be pulling for him to win because Herman is a douche and they should not have offered him the same contract they did Grove.

I'm looking forward to Herring in the UFC. He's another addition that ups the ante in the heavyweight division. Plus, he did this:

I assume the winner of Franca/Fisher gets a title shot, and with good reason because they've both been kicking ass. This should be the fight of the night. I want Fisher to win, because I tend to pull for Miletich fighters (except Sylvia).

Reiner/Burkman also has potential for fight of the night, and it only makes me more irritated knowing that they probably won't show it.

Guida/Thomas is an excellent lightweight matchup, and they both looked terrific in their last fights. I like Din Thomas a lot, so I'll be on his side for this one, but Guida is no slouch.

I feel bad for Ross Pointon. The UFC loves his personality and his attitude, but honestly, if he loses this one, he does not belong with the company. I really want him to win, and I don't like Clementi, so it would be great to see him pull it off. But Clementi is easily the more skilled fighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:42 am 
Unthought Known

To be honest with you, apart from Marquardt - Lister, Heath Herring, and Franca-Fisher, I'm really not too excited at all about this UFN. I don't like Evans, and know nothing about Salmon... so it's hard for me to care about that one. I would've much preferred to see Evans vs. Babalu or something. I shouldn't say this not knowing anything about Salmon, but it seems like Rashad is being protected.

I'm rooting for Pointon as well, he is good for the UFC. I also expect to see Din Thomas and Burkman pull out victories.

other news-

Nick Diaz drops in weight, and signs with Pride. Diaz is going to be a monster at 160, and the LW division in Pride is insane. Should provide for some really good fights.

Apparently Fedor will be fighting Matt Lindland for Bodogfight. Lindland's got some guts.

Rumor has it that UFC 70 will be shown for free on HBO. That's pretty cool. One fight rumored for it is Tito vs. Forrest 2. Hate to say it, but Forrest won't be winning that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:28 am 
Former PJ Drummer

washmykev wrote:
To be honest with you, apart from Marquardt - Lister, Heath Herring, and Franca-Fisher, I'm really not too excited at all about this UFN.

Well, that's 3 fights and they will probably show 4. I still think it's the best TV card we've seen thus far. I just read somewhere that Salmon is a 6 to 1 underdog, so I wouldn't expect much of a fight from him. Then again, Jens Pulver managed to shit the bed when he was a 7 to 1 favorite, so anything is possible.

Quote:
Nick Diaz drops in weight, and signs with Pride. Diaz is going to be a monster at 160, and the LW division in Pride is insane. Should provide for some really good fights.

Yup. I hope he can hold that weight. He's skinny enough as it is, that might be too much for him.

Quote:
Apparently Fedor will be fighting Matt Lindland for Bodogfight. Lindland's got some guts.

How about that? Really bizarre. The thing I don't like about this is Lindland is putting himself in a situation where he has nothing to lose and Fedor has everything to lose.

Quote:
Rumor has it that UFC 70 will be shown for free on HBO. That's pretty cool. One fight rumored for it is Tito vs. Forrest 2. Hate to say it, but Forrest won't be winning that one.

That's really cool with it being on HBO, but apparently it will be shown at midnight. Word is that HBO has agreed to offer three events in this manner. They better not do Tito/Forrest II. That's just fucking stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:31 pm 
Unthought Known

mowbs wrote:
They better not do Tito/Forrest II. That's just fucking stupid.

Well, it's pretty clear why they would be doing it. Forrest's stock is falling, and alot of people (myself included) think he won the first fight. So I can see why they'd want to get a rematch in while it will still make some money. It's a smart business move.

And I would be more than happy so see Salmon pull a Joe Lauzon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:47 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

washmykev wrote:
mowbs wrote:
They better not do Tito/Forrest II. That's just fucking stupid.

Well, it's pretty clear why they would be doing it. Forrest's stock is falling, and alot of people (myself included) think he won the first fight. So I can see why they'd want to get a rematch in while it will still make some money. It's a smart business move.

Yea, you're right about that. I'm just one who would rather see a good, meaningful fight than a match that will be popular.

Tito's standing as a top 10 LHW is fading fast. I'd hate to have Tito's career remembered as, "He was one of the most dominant UFC champs ever, but at a young point in his caree, he never recovered from his losses to Liddell and Couture. His last good win was against Vitor Belfort." Tito keeps saying that he's gonna be around for a long time, and on a positive note, Liddell will be retiring before him. But man...Tito really needs to prove something against a ranked opponent.

I guess as a Tito fan, I'd like to see him face someone new. He can't beat Chuck. He never will. Bluntly, he's fucking scared to death of him, and Chuck had him mentally defeated long before that fight took place. This fight with Griffin is pointless. He already beat him. Let's move on and see who else he can beat that isn't Chuck Liddell. It sucks for Forrest too, because he's going to suffer his second loss in a row.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:08 am 
Force of Nature

Goodnight Sean Salmon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 207  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports