Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 207  Next
 Post subject: Re: MMA (UFC)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:43 pm 
Unthought Known

OH HELL YEAH!
UFC 149
July 21, 2012
Scotiabank Saddledome
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Airing: PPV

Quote:
For a vegetarian, Rents, you're a fuckin' EVIL shot!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:21 pm 
Supersonic

somtimes i hide out in this thread just to take a break from all the boston sports talk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:37 pm 
Unthought Known

**Here are the results from the UFC 144 card held Saturday night (early Sunday morning in Saitama, Japan) at the Saitama Super Arena:
*Issei Tamura over Tiequan Zhang by KO at 0:32 of Round 2
*Chris Cariaso over Takeya Mizugaki by unanimous decision (29-28 all)
*Riki Fukuda over Steve Cantwell by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
*Vaughan Lee over Norifumi ‘Kid’ Yamamoto by armbar at 4:29 of Round 1
*Takanori Gomi over Eiji Mitsuoka by TKO at 2:21 of Round 2
*Anthony Pettis over Joe Lauzon by KO at 1:21 of Round 1
*Tim Boetsch over Yushin Okami by TKO at 0:54 of Round 3
*Jake Shields over Yoshihiro Akiyama by unanimous decision (30-27 all)
*Mark Hunt over Cheick Kongo by TKO at 2:11 of Round 1
*Ryan Bader over Quinton Jackson by unanimous decision (30-27 all)
*Benson Henderson over Frankie Edgar by unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 48-47) to win the UFC Lightweight Title

**Here are the $65,000 bonuses handed out following the event:
*Fight of the Night – Benson Henderson Vs Frankie Edgar
*Knockout of the Night – Anthony Pettis
*Submission of the Night – Vaughan Lee

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:40 pm 
Supersonic

i think i heard tiequan zhang on u-god's last album

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:53 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

i missed the fight, but not surprised rampage lost. all he has anymore is mediocre mma hope for a big punch boxing. rampage pride fights are a blast to watch, but newer fights seem like a chore.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:17 am 
Unthought Known

**The long awaited lightweight bout between Eddie Alvarez and Shinya Aoki was officially announced by Bellator for April 20th in Cleveland, Ohio as the main event for Bellator 66. That will probably be the biggest fight of the next season for Bellator but is taking place on a terrible weekend where it will be greatly overshadowed by the Jon Jones Vs Rashad Evans fight in Atlanta, where all the MMA media will be centered that weekend.

**Wagnney Fabiano has been forced to withdraw from the upcoming Bellator Featherweight tournament due to an undisclosed injury. Fabiano was scheduled to fight Ronnie Mann in the opening round next Friday at Bellator 60 and will be replaced by Mike Corey. It would have been Fabiano’s first fight since November 2010 in his return to 145-pounds.

**The UFC has announced a lightweight bout between Kamal Shalorus Vs Rafael Dos Anjos for the UFC on FUEL 3 event on May 15th in Fairfax, Virginia.

**The Strikeforce card takes place tomorrow night in Columbus, Ohio at the Nationwide Arena headlined by Miesha Tate Vs Ronda Rousey for the Women’s Bantamweight Title. The main card also featured K.J. Noons fighting Josh Thomson with the winner likely in line to fight Gilbert Melendez for the Lightweight Title and Paul Daley meets Kazuo Misaki in a welterweight bout.

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:45 pm 
Unthought Known

****Sat night featured one of the most embarrassing situations in UFC history with the complete disaster surrounding the Ian McCall Vs Demetrious Johnson fight. The fight concluded with the scores read out by Bruce Buffer that Johnson won by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) but Buffer read off his card that Johnson had won by majority decision (which would mean one of the judges had it a draw and the other two had it for Johnson). It was later revealed that one of the scores was a draw and it was a majority decision but Johnson still won the fight. Then following that they realized that judge Sal D’Amato had given the final round to McCall 10-8 but his writing was not easily legible and it looked as if he had written 10-9 so in fact two judges awarded it a draw and what should have happened was a sudden death Round 4 as they had stated in the lead-up to the fight. This was not discovered until later in the night so the end result is last night’s fight doesn’t count and the two will have to fight again to settle who advances to fight Joseph Benavidez. Dana White was furious over this and quite understandably so and so many questions arise as to how this happened and so many mistakes took place.

**Here are the full results from the UFC on FX 2 card Friday night at the Allphones Arena in Sydney, Australia in front of 14,537 and a live gate of $2,200,000:
*Shawn Jordan over Oli Thompson by TKO at 3:53 of Round 2
*Daniel Pineda over Mackens Semerzier by triangle armbar at 2:05 of Round 1
*T.J. Waldburger over Jake Hecht by armbar at 0:55 of Round 1
*Andrew Craig over Kyle Noke by unanimous decision (29-28 all)
*Steven Siler over Cole Miller by unanimous decision (29-28 all)
*Anthony Perosh over Nick Penner by TKO at 4:59 of Round 1
*James Te Huna over Aaron Rosa by TKO at 2:08 of Round 1
*Constantinos Philippou over Court McGee by unanimous decision (29-28 all)
*Demetrious Johnson and Ian McCall fought to a majority draw (29-29, 28-28, 29-28 Johnson)
*Joseph Benavidez over Yasuhiro Urushitani by TKO at 0:11 of Round 2
*Martin Kampmann over Thiago Alves by guillotine choke at 4:12 of Round 3

**The following $50,000 bonuses were given out after the card:
*Fight of the Night – Demetrious Johnson Vs Ian McCall
*Submission of the Night – Martin Kampmann
*Knockout of the Night – Joseph Benavidez

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:36 pm 
AnalLog

after this past strikeforce fight, i gotta think women make it into the ufc eventually

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:04 am 
Unthought Known

**UFC President Dana White confirmed Tuesday night that Benson Henderson will defend his Lightweight Title against Frankie Edgar in an immediate rematch later this summer. Henderson defeated Edgar for the title two-weeks ago at UFC 144 in Saitama, Japan by unanimous decision.

**Quinton Jackson has stated on Twitter that his next fight will be his last one with the UFC. He followed up stating he isn’t done with fighting just with the UFC, which he called ‘U Fight Cheap’ that a number of fighters have referred to the promotion over the years.

**A knee injury in training has forced Antonio Rogerio Nogueira off of the April 14th UFC on FUEL 2 event in Sweden. Thiago Silva will be stepping in to replace Nogueira and fight Alexander Gustafsson in the new main event. This will be Silva’s first fight back since January 1st 2011 where he defeated Brandon Vera but it was later ruled a ‘no contest’ after Silva provided non-human urine in his post fight urinalysis and was suspended.

**The UFC on FX 2 event averaged 1,400,000 viewers this past Friday night from Sydney, Australia headlined by Martin Kampmann submitting Thiago Alves with the preliminary fights doing 113,000 viewers on FUEL TV. The FX is up slightly from the firsts show in January that averaged 1,300,000 for the card headlined by Jim Miller and Melvin Guillard.

**The UFC has officially confirmed that Junior Dos Santos will defend his Heavyweight Title against Alistair Overeem on May 26th in the main event of UFC 146 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

**Chael Sonnen apologizes to Anderson Silva:

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:58 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

warehouse wrote:
after this past strikeforce fight, i gotta think women make it into the ufc eventually

that fight was pretty awesome, but i still haven't seen a lady with a really well rounded game (cyborg, but let's be honest...doper, appears to have some dude qualities anyways).

i feel like every fight i'm just waiting for someone to get nailed with a career ending strike to the head, the way they go head first into a fist fight at the first part of the fight. and there also seems to be a great disparity in the ground game amongst the women. they are either really good, or really bad. same goes for striking.

don't get me wrong, i like watching the ladies fight, especially when they're as good to look at as these two, but I think strikeforce is a good home for them until a group of more well rounded fighters emerges over the next few years. i think it would just seem like more of a sideshow in the UFC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:20 pm 
AnalLog

strongmendieyoung wrote:
warehouse wrote:

that fight was pretty awesome, but i still haven't seen a lady with a really well rounded game (cyborg, but let's be honest...doper, appears to have some dude qualities anyways).

i feel like every fight i'm just waiting for someone to get nailed with a career ending strike to the head, the way they go head first into a fist fight at the first part of the fight. and there also seems to be a great disparity in the ground game amongst the women. they are either really good, or really bad. same goes for striking.

don't get me wrong, i like watching the ladies fight, especially when they're as good to look at as these two, but I think strikeforce is a good home for them until a group of more well rounded fighters emerges over the next few years. i think it would just seem like more of a sideshow in the UFC

yeah i still think they are a few years off from really being relevant at all in the UFC, but i can see it happening. women are more flexible than men, which makes for more sub attempts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:47 pm 
Unthought Known

**The UFC and FX have announced another ‘Prime Time’ series to premiere April 6th in preparation for the Jon Jones Vs Rashad Evans Light Heavyweight Title fight scheduled for UFC 145 on April 21st. The shows will air April 6th, 13th and 20th at 10pm EST on FX.

**The Spike TV documentary ‘I Am Bruce Lee’ that debuted Wednesday night did a 1.0 rating and averaged 1,400,000 viewers, which is huge for a documentary and was the same amount of viewers the UFC on FX 2 card garnered last Friday from Australia.

**The debut of ‘Ultimate Fighter’ did a 0.95 rating and averaged 1,300,000 viewers on FX this past Friday.

**Wyoming is the latest state to sanction and regulate MMA in the U.S. with a new bill being passed. Wyoming hosted UFC 6 back in July 1995 where Oleg Taktarov won that night’s eight-man tournament defeating David ‘Tank’ Abbott in the finals.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:25 pm 
Unthought Known

**Dana White announced on ‘UFC Tonight’ on Tuesday that Quinton Jackson would fight Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua in his next fight and then Jackson would be done with the UFC with his contract expiring after that fight. Jackson has always wanted a rematch with ‘Shogun’ following their April 2005 bout for the Pride Fighting Championships where Jackson said he went into the fight hurt and paid for it, being brutalized by ‘Shogun’ in the opening round of the Middleweight Grand Prix. It was the events in that fight where Jackson’s then trainer, Colin Oyama was admonishing Jackson in their corner that eventually led to Jackson splitting with Oyama and going to work with Juanito Ibarra (another trainer he has since left). Jackson has been vocal over the past week about wanting out of his UFC deal to pursue boxing and criticizing the UFC for how little he was paid for the Ryan Bader fight (a non-headlining bout and the first fight since his debut against Marvin Eastman in 2007 where his fight wasn’t one of the key draws on the show) and being paired in the cage with strong wrestlers.

*****Quinton Jackson has announced that he will be undergoing surgery on both of his knees and will push his fight with Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua back a few months.

**The Oklahoma State Athletic Commission has announced that they are not accepting any applications for any combat sports events after March 31st including MMA and Professional Wrestling. The commission is citing a pending lawsuit from the UFC to stop the commission from taxing all residents of Oklahoma for purchasing any pay-per-view events put on by the UFC.

**Kevin Iole at Yahoo Sports reports that UFC 146 card from Las Vegas will feature an all-heavyweight main card with the following bouts scheduled for the pay-per-view portion:
*Junior dos Santos Vs Alistair Overeem for the Heavyweight Title
*Cain Velasquez Vs Frank Mir
*Antonio Silva Vs Roy Nelson
*Shane Del Rosario Vs Gabriel Gonzaga
*Stefan Struve Vs Mark Hunt

**Demian Maia has announced that he will be moving down to the welterweight division for his next fight with the UFC. Maia last competed for the organization at the UFC on FOX 2 special in January with a less than spectacular unanimous decision victory over late replacement Demian Maia where the weight cut clearly affected both men but Weidman has the excuse of accepting the fight on eleven days notice and had to cut around 29-pounds.

**UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta chats with Ariel Helwani at MMAFighting.com about the current state of women’s MMA and takes a different approach than UFC President Dana White.

**Bellator heavyweight Eric Prindle was a guest on ‘The MMA Show’ podcast with Mauro Ranallo on Wednesday and stated that Brock Lesnar has been going through more stomach issues but did not go into detail regarding specifics. Prindle trains with the Deathclutch team, which is where Brock Lesnar was a team member.

**MMA Junkie reports that the rematch between Demetrious Johnson and Ian McCall is being targeted for the June 1st TUF Finale in Las Vegas. The two fought to a technical draw in Sydney, Australia after it was mistakenly announced as a majority decision victory for Johnson. The winner will fight Joseph Benavidez later this year to crown the first UFC Flyweight Champion.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:30 pm 
Unthought Known

**Dana White revealed to Mauro Ranallo on Wednesday at the UFC press conference that he was attempting to put together a rematch between Dan Henderson and Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua for the Calgary card on July 21st but could not come to terms. Henderson has stated he is going to wait for the winner of the Jon Jones Vs Rashad Evans fight that happens April 21st in Atlanta, Georgia.

**UFC lightweight Anthony Pettis announced on Twitter he is undergoing minor shoulder surgery and will be out of action for eight-weeks. Pettis opted for the surgery after the announcement that Frankie Edgar would receive the next title shot against Benson Henderson.

**Three welterweight bouts have been added to the June 22nd UFC on FX 4 card in Atlantic City, New Jersey with Matthew Riddle taking Luis Ramos as well as Dan Miller (who is cutting down from 185) to fight Ricardo Funch. The UFC has also announced a bout between Rick Story and Rich Attonito for that card.

**For the second straight week the heavyweight bout between Eric Prindle and Thiago Santos is off after Santos came in overweight Thursday at the weigh-ins. The promotion has awarded Prindle the tournament win by default and Bellator is hoping to have a Heavyweight Title bout between champion Cole Konrad and Prindle very soon. Here is the main card lineup for tonight’s show in Laredo, Texas with the following fights all quarter-final bouts for the lightweight tournament:
*Patricky Freire Vs Lloyd Woodard
*Brent Weedman Vs J.J. Ambrose
*Rick Hawn Vs Ricardo Tirloni
*Rene Nazare Vs Thiago Michel

**TUF Live continues tonight with Justin Lawrence (the stand out thus far on the show) taking on Cristiano Marcello from Team Faber.

**Here are the main card results from the Bellator 62 card on Friday night in Laredo, Texas featuring the quarter-finals of the Lightweight tournament:
*Thiago Michel over Rene Nazare by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
*Brent Weedman over J.J. Ambrose by Von Flue choke at 3:26 of Round 2
*Rick Hawn over Ricardo Tirloni by TKO at 2:36 of Round 1
*Lloyd Woodard over Patricky ‘Pitbull’ Freire by kimura at 1:46 of Round 2

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:05 am 
Got Some

UFC's Alistair Overeem fails drug test
Updated: April 4, 2012, 8:30 PM ET
By Franklin McNeil | ESPN.com

Top-ranked UFC heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem, who is scheduled to face champion Junior dos Santos on May 26, failed a prefight drug test, Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer said Wednesday.

"The following athletes were tested on March 27: Alistair Overeem, Junior dos Santos, Frank Mir, Cain Velasquez, Roy Nelson and Antonio Silva," Kizer said in a statement. "All test results were negative, except Mr. Overeem tested positive for an increased T/E ratio (10 to 1).

"Mr. Overeem will need to appear before the Commission if he seeks licensure," the statement read.

Fighters must not exceed a testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio of 6-to-1.

Upon receiving news of Overeem's test results, UFC president Dana White said, "I am beyond pissed about this. I'm so angry right now I can't even begin ..."

"It's beyond -- what's the word I'm looking for -- it's beyond belief," White said, as quoted by thestarphoenix.com."It's beyond comprehension. You're an absolute moron, a brain-dead absolute (expletive) dummy. It goes beyond a guy having any common sense whatsoever."

Overeem, the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion, was slated to headline UFC 146 against dos Santos. The event's main card features all heavyweight bouts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:28 am 
Unthought Known

**Spike TV and Bellator announced that they will be doing a reality show on the network with Bertram van Munster, who created ‘The Amazing Race’. In the press release they did not announce a debut date or any other information regarding the format of the show. Spike is prohibited from airing fights with any organization other than UFC for the year but it doesn’t prohibit them from doing a reality show before January 1st 2013. This would be a great way to introduce the fighters already on the roster and run the reality show from October – December leading into the debut on Spike because a major problem for Bellator is lack of awareness of their fighters and could also promote the events on MTV2 that will be happening at the time where you have a similar concept to ‘Ultimate Fighter’ with the behind the scenes footage from the week going into the fight airing on the reality show on a Wednesday or Thursday leading into the card on Friday night on MTV2.

**This past Friday’s edition of ‘TUF Live’ averaged 1,100,000 viewers featuring the Al Iaquinta Vs Myles Jury fight that went into sudden victory at the end of the show.

**Bellator 63 did 141,000 viewers this past Friday night on MTV2 for the opening round of the Welterweight tournament.

**John Alessio is returning to the UFC and taking the spot of the injured Matt Wiman to fight fellow Canadian Mark Bocek on April 21st at UFC 145 in Atlanta. Alessio just competed at the Score Fighting Series event three-weeks ago where he defeated Ryan Healy.

UFC 147 official with Silva-Sonnen, Silva-Belfort on June 23 in Rio de Janeiro stadium
by Dann Stupp
As expected, two long-awaited rematches will co-headline the UFC's return to Brazil.

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) will rematch Chael Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC), and "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" coaches Wanderlei Silva (34-11-1 MMA, 4-6 UFC) and Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC) also will meet again at UFC 147.

UFC 147 takes place June 23 at Joao Havelange Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. It's expected to set a new UFC record attendance.

UFC 147's main card airs on pay-per-view, and FX and Facebook are expected to carry the prelims. It takes place the day after UFC on FX 4 in Atlantic City, N.J.

Joao Havelange Stadium (also known as Engenhao Stadium) is the first soccer stadium to host a UFC event. It won out after UFC officials faced issues with its initially planned host site of Sao Paulo. The Rio stadium, which also hosts the 2016 Summer Olympics, currently can seat approximately 47,000 spectators. UFC officials didn't specify a seating configuration, but they expect it to break the record that Toronto's Rogers Centre set with UFC 129 (55,724) in 2011.

UFC president Dana White mentioned the possibility of 80,000 fans attending the event during a press conference this past week. However, it's not known if that's the figure they're currently shooting for.

"This will be the biggest sporting event of the year," White stated. "Bigger than the NFL, the NBA, you name it. UFC 147 will be the biggest. The whole world wants to see this fight between Silva and Sonnen. We are broadcast in over 150 countries in 22 languages in half a billion homes. Wherever those fans are, they are going to be watching this fight."

Sonnen dominated reigning champ Anderson Silva for four rounds before succumbing to a last-round triangle choke at UFC 117 in 2010. Sonnen set up a rematch with a January win over Michael Bisping, and Silva since has defeated the likes of Belfort of Yushin Okami. The rematch is likely to be one of the biggest fights in MMA history.

In addition to that title fight, Belfort and Wanderlei Silva are slated to fight at UFC 147. Belfort won the first meeting via first-round TKO back in 1998 at "UFC Brazil: Ultimate Brazil" (UFC 17.5). Their rematch coincides with the season finale of "TUF: Brazil," which is the UFC's first international edition of its long-running reality series.

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:45 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Quote:

this is pretty sick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:11 am 
Unthought Known

I think Chael can do it this time. Yes, Silva was fighting with a broken rib last time around but Sonnen's got that hunger to win, especially with that last second sub he lost to.

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:45 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

p911gt10c wrote:
I think Chael can do it this time. Yes, Silva was fighting with a broken rib last time around but Sonnen's got that hunger to win, especially with that last second sub he lost to.

I'll be interested. I'll never doubt Anderson's ability to win until he shows a reason to, but if anyone in that division's going to do it, Chael seems best suited.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:17 am 
Menace to Dogciety

LOL @ Reem getting caught.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 207  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports