Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 207  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:46 pm 
Supersonic

mowbs wrote:
This thread is going well.
Yeah! I wish I could contribute more but I only watch occasionally so I don't know who most of these dudes are

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:41 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I also have a problem with Sherk being so low in the rankings. He absolutely obliterated Kenny Florian throughout 5 rounds. He did a ton of damage and it was incredible that Kenny hung on the entire time, and Sherk took almost no damage at all. Coupled with the fact that his only two losses came in a different weight class to two phenomenal fighters.... Yeah, 10 my ass.

I don't have a problem with Shogun being ranked ahead of Wandy. It doesn't matter because they will never fight anyway, so unless one of them leaves or moves weight classes, Wandy will probably remain the champ.

Is anyone else hoping for a Jardine vs. Bisping fight in the future? I am, and I hope Bisping wins. Then, even though he would probably lose, I want him to fight Rampage. Rampage is a mean mofo though I haven't seen him fight in a while, but I'm expecting him to work his way up to and through Chuck in short time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:30 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Buffalohed wrote:
Is anyone else hoping for a Jardine vs. Bisping fight in the future? I am, and I hope Bisping wins. Then, even though he would probably lose, I want him to fight Rampage. Rampage is a mean mofo though I haven't seen him fight in a while, but I'm expecting him to work his way up to and through Chuck in short time.

If Jardine gets a title shot, I'm going to be very fucking pissed, because he does not deserve one in any way. Swick and Diego have done much more to earn ashot, and those two are stuck waiting at least until Serra and Lutter get thir cracks at the belt.

I would love to see Bisping beat up on these TUF light heavies (Rashad, Forrest, Keith). I feel he is easily the best of that bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:50 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Oh I totally agree with you bro. I don't like Jardine that much. In fact, I would list my favorite TUF LHWs in this order: Bisping, Bonnar (out for steroids), Griffin, Jardine, Evans. However, if Jardine made it through Bisping and Rampage, he should get a title shot. Not saying he will do that though. I'm telling you I will be fucking ecstatic when Bisping starts tearing through the top tier fighters and gets his own title shot. What a classy guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:09 am 
Unthought Known

Why is everyone against Evans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:15 am 
Former PJ Drummer

inadvertent imitation wrote:

Not against him. In another thread, I explained how I feel he's done more to deserve a shot than Jardine or Griffin. The UFC is kind of fucking him over. Goldberg made it sound like the Jardine/Griffin fight was a #1 contender match. Evans is sitting on his udnefeated record with wins over Jardine and Bonnar and who do they put him against next month?...Sean Salmon. Who the fuck is Sean Salmon?

Evans looked great in his last fight. I just don't like his chances against Bisping, and especially Rampage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:21 am 
Unthought Known

mowbs wrote:
inadvertent imitation wrote:

Not against him. In another thread, I explained how I feel he's done more to deserve a shot than Jardine or Griffin. The UFC is kind of fucking him over. Goldberg made it sound like the Jardine/Griffin fight was a #1 contender match. Evans is sitting on his udnefeated record with wins over Jardine and Bonnar and who do they put him against next month?...Sean Salmon. Who the fuck is Sean Salmon?

Evans looked great in his last fight. I just don't like his chances against Bisping, and especially Rampage.

I really, really like Evans. He hasn't put anyone away all that quickly in a long time, but it seems to me that he completely dominates the fights that he's in. I agree that he's getting fucked over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:26 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I just have a huge problem with Evans style. He is good - yes, especially at winning with the criteria they have. Takedowns and ring control. But he is fucking boring as hell to watch, and he seems incapable of actually doing any damage. He is strong as fuck and just puts someone on the ground and keeps them there, and that is how he wins. I'm not saying he isn't good at what he does, all I'm saying is that I just do not enjoy watching him fight and until he learns how to actually take someone out I won't be interested or care if he moves up or has any fights at all.

Whether he deserves them or not, probably. But I'm certainly not rooting for him, unless he shows that he can fuck someone up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:40 am 
Unthought Known

With Forrest all but out of title contention now, Evans has got to be the closest TUF'er to getting a shot at the title. Jardine seems to have jumped over alot of guys out of nowhere. Yes, he beat Forrest which is a big accomplishment, but Rashad has got to be higher up the ladder than he is. That said, I agree that Rashad is a very boring fighter. It's not that he doesn't know how to end a fight, it's that he doesn't seem willing to. If he works hard on his gnp theres no doubt in my mind he could be the next Tito. He's already got better wrestling. But that won't be for a few years. I can't see any of these guys having much of a chance against Chuck, Rampage, Tito, or Babalu.

Sean Sherk being so low surprised me, but Pride has such a great LW division that it's not too shocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:40 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

GSP out of UFC 67:
ufc.com wrote:
UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre has been forced to withdraw from February 3rd’s UFC 67 card due to a knee injury suffered during training for his first title defense against Matt Serra. The rest of the card, which includes the UFC Middleweight title bout between Anderson Silva and Travis Lutter, as well as the UFC debuts of Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson and Mirko ‘CroCop’ Filipovic, remains intact. Stay tuned to UFC.com for more information as it becomes available.

This is very bad news. Because I won't get to see the GSP/Serra fight in February?...no. I could give a fuck less about that fight, and I like both of them. This is just pushing things back. Serra has to get his title shot, and now Hughes/GSP III is only further down the line. The positive thing is they will probably find a really good matchup to take its place.

Hughes to fight March 3
Matt Hughe's blog wrote:
I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a happy and safe New Years. I know I definitely did. This week starts my training. I'm a little under the weather, so I'm not doing anything physical just watching what I eat and my weight.

I was told that my rematch with Georges in April was called off because he wanted more than two months to prepare. I know there are a lot of rumors being spread around the internet and if people want to believe that I dropped out, then that's fine with me. I don't feel that I need to defend myself every time someone posts a rumor on the internet.
The UFC says that I'm fighting on March 3rd, but I don't know who yet. I asked for Diego, but they want to save him for a title shot. I am glad to be fighting in Ohio, this way people from around here, who can't really afford to fly out to Vegas or California, will be able to watch one of my fights. So I look forward to a lot of local support. -Matt

Hughes is very eager to get back in there. I give him props for wanting to go at it with Diego. That's a shame that they won't let the fight happen, but it makes sense. So who will he get? I would assume it would be either Fitch or Karo. I think Fitch is more likely. Either way, he'll have a legitimate battle on his hands. Being that GSP won't be fighting in February, Hughes should have plenty of time to prepare in between his fight in March and his eventual rubber match with GSP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:47 am 
Former PJ Drummer

I don't think it makes sense to not make a Hughes - Sanchez fight. It seems reasonable to me that Sanchez should go through Hughes first on the way to a title shot. The WW division has been the same big three for a while, and I think Sanchez needs to break into that big three before getting a chance at the title. Besides, he will get obliterated by GSP - but hey, I'd love to see him get obliterated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:28 am 
Unthought Known

Word is Hughes vs. Lytle at UFC 68. Lytle is definitely a fighter, but I think Hughes should've taken a bit higher class fight than that. Diego/Hughes would've been nice, but I can see why they are saving that. I would've really liked to see the Bj/hughes rubber match, but if I was Dana White, I'd save that too. It's perfect matchmaking, because it allows Hughes the easy win he needs before going into his rematch with GSP.

I'm hearing too that Jason Macdonald is facing Rich Franklin at the same card. Jason Macdonald has looked very impressive, but I'd bet the house on Franklin. No question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:49 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

washmykev wrote:
Word is Hughes vs. Lytle at UFC 68.

I'm hearing too that Jason Macdonald is facing Rich Franklin at the same card.

Yup...this seems to be the story.

I agree with you kev, Diego shouldn't have to go through Hughes, and it makes sense that the UFC is avoiding that matchup. He's undefeated with career victories over Koschek, Riggs, Diaz and Parisyan (who was in line for a title shot before the injury). Hell, he's earned it. That's plenty enough for a shot in my book.

At least they're not giving Hughes a can. Come to think of it, Lytle absolutely has better boxing skills than Hughes (a 13-1 pro record, I believe). I don't see him being able to beat Hughes (especially if he can't beat Serra), but I've seen stranger things happen, so Hughes better not look past him. Not that he will, anyway.

I'm rather looking forward to Franklin/MacDonald. It would be considered a pretty large upset if Jason wins, but I'm not counting him out. MacDonald hasn't shown that he has anything on his feet (Let's face it, Leben owned him on the striking end), but he is a technically-sound jiu-jitsu fighter. His grappling game is very dangerous. When he sees an opening, he takes it and applies the hold immeiatey. Franklin's game should be to keep it standing at all costs. I don't know how good MacDonald is at wrestling, so I really don't see him being able to take Rich down. But shit...if it goes to the ground, Franklin better be very aware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:01 am 
Former PJ Drummer

UFC TO SIGN FEDOR??????

Quote:
UFC to strengthen stable of fighters in 2007
01/05/07

UFC President Dana White is fond of saying the Ultimate Fighting Championship is taking over the world. He's only half joking.

White and his partners at Zuffa have been the masterminds behind the transformation of an underground, cult sport with a notorious reputation into a mainstream sports juggernaut.

To be fair, most of the rules changes that convinced U.S. athletic commissions to get back into the mixed martial arts business were already in place before Zuffa bought the brand in 2001 (no perpetuating the "Zuffa Myth" here). However, it's been under the Zuffa banner that the UFC has flourished and the organization closed out a blockbuster 2006 with a record-setting UFC 66.

With the UFC now firmly entrenched in America, White and Co. are taking the next steps to strengthen the action inside its trademark octagon. First up on the to-do list was signing one of the best heavyweights in world - Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic - to a major-league two-year, six-fight contract that instantly gives the promotion a champion-in-waiting.

The signing of Cro Cop shows that Zuffa is willing to reach for the checkbook to attract elite talent. The UFC boss wouldn't tip his hand, but hinted that other major signings are imminent and that could include Fedor Emalinenko, whose current short-term relationships with Pride and BodogFIGHT pretty much make him a free agent.

http://blogs.chron.com/fighting/2007/01 ... of_fi.html
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:54 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Holy shit.

Looks like Cro Cop won't have an easy path to the title after all. That is fucking nuts! A signing like that right there will immediately vault the UFC to the undisputed top spot in MMA, no question about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:00 am 
Unthought Known

Buffalohed wrote:
Holy shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:15 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Who's excited?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:16 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Not to mention, what are the chances "little" Alex will follow in his brothers footsteps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:35 am 
Unthought Known

Fucking amazing if this happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:04 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Buffalohed wrote:

Who's excited?

I'm excited that I won't have to resort to low-quality internet downloads to see these two gentlemen fight.

Damn me not having FSN :x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 207  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports