Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1612 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Theo and Eddie Sitting In A Tree (Chicago Cubs Thread)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:58 pm 
Supersonic

I hate these threads, but I didn't want to put something strictly related to the Cubs in the Off-Season or 2007 MLB threads. Also, please save the trite jokes about the Cubs being losers -- they're too predictable.

And I'm not making this thread "official" on principle.

But on topic, pitchers and catchers report tomorrow. And the main issue going in will be Carlos Zambrano. He was quoted last night by WGN as saying that the Cubs either sign him to a long-term deal by opening day or he's "gone." And he wants Barry Zito money and years, because "that's what's best for Carlos Zambrano" (evidently Zambrano is very fond of referring to himself in the first person a la Bob Dole and Jimmy from Seinfeld).

Anyway, this could get ugly. He wants $15.5 million in arbitration, and the Cubs are offering $11 million. So there's a sizeable gap there, and the Cubs under the current ownership have never gone to arbitration.

Also, there is no way the Cubs are going to give him a 6- or 7-year contract. While I think that's he worth $17-$18 million a year, no pitcher should get such a long contract (just because the Giants were stupid enough to give Zito that long of a contract doesn't automatically mean that every other team should follow suit -- if the Giants gave one guy 20-year contract, does that automatically qualify every other comparable pitcher to that long of a contract?).

If the Cubs can pay Marquis $9 million a year and Lilly $10 million over 4 years, they should at least be able to come close to Zito money, but definitely NOT for 7 years.

Last edited by Chris_H_2 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:05 pm 
Unthought Known

ok , same quesion every yr for these guys. Can Prior and Wood stay healthy ? The lineup is going to produce but if those guys stay healthy nd wood can close games........they will be flirting with breaking this curse i hear chatter about from time to time.

Yanks V Cubs WS ... biggest world series ever ?

Pinella is a good choice there for that teams mental adjustment as well. im looking foward to see how they do :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:07 pm 
Supersonic

Zambrano is one of the very few pitchers I'd sign for seven years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:10 pm 
Unthought Known

Cashman has been loading up on prospects and clearing salary lately.

maybe he has his eye on Zambrano and Santana!

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:13 pm 
Unthought Known

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

that would be nice to add one of those guys to your rotation no matter who is on your staff already. then again...who wouldnt have thier eye on those 2 guys already ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:14 pm 
Unthought Known

Yield05 wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

that would be nice to add one of those guys to your rotation no matter who is on your staff already. then again...who wouldnt have thier eye on those 2 guys already ?

new Yankee stadium in 2 years = more revenue which means we might see $20-$25 million a year for one of these guys from the Yanks - assuming they get to free agency.

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:17 pm 
Supersonic

Obviously you'd rather have Santana for this season, but for the next 7-8 years would you want him or Zambrano?

I might have to go with Zambrano.

Edit: On second thought, I'd go with Santana. But it's close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:19 pm 
Unthought Known

Mitchell wrote:
Obviously you'd rather have Santana for this season, but for the next 7-8 years would you want him or Zambrano?

santana would prob eat up the national if someone picked him up to play there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:20 pm 
Supersonic

Yield05 wrote:
Mitchell wrote:

santana would prob eat up the national if someone picked him up to play there.

Santana eats up everyone.

Post subject: Re: Chicago Cubs' Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:34 pm 
not a big Gay guy

i am pretty sure the Cubs will get it done with Zambrano. I'm not sure even someone as goofy as Hendry could spend the money he has this offseason and then not resign the team's best pitcher. Asfor not giving him a 6 or 7 year deal, Zambrano is probably one of the most durable players on the team, much less one of the most durable pitchers. I'm guessing you'll see something like five years with an option thrown in, but what the hell do I know?

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:36 pm 
Supersonic

While Zambrano is a horse, I'm worried about how long his arm and back will hold up if it's a 7-year deal. He's at back problems in the past that should be cause for concern, and he's pitched a ton of innings since 2003.

I think if Zambrano ever left he'd want to stick to the National League. The guy truly loves hitting (and he had a higher slugging percentage than three of the Cubs' everyday players last year).

With the money that the Cubs spent this offseason, they have no excuse not to give this guy the money that he wants -- I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5-year deal for $19 million a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:37 pm 
Supersonic

I'm guessing like 7-8 yrs/135-155 mill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:44 pm 
Supersonic

Mitchell wrote:
I'm guessing like 7-8 yrs/135-155 mill.

For someone that plays 1/5 the amount of games that Soriano plays to get Soriano money would be sick. If GMs were pissed off at Hendry before, I couldn't image what they would say if Hendry gave that huge of a contract.

If the Cubs play well and are in contention but do not have Zambrano under contract past 2007 by the trade deadline, Jim Hendry will be in a very tough position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:46 pm 
Supersonic

I bet the Yanks or Mets give Santana 7/150-160.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:48 pm 
Unthought Known

Mitchell wrote:

id see the mets doing it b4 the yankees would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:51 pm 
Supersonic

Yield05 wrote:
Mitchell wrote:

id see the mets doing it b4 the yankees would.

Why?

With the Yanks new stadium you'd figure they'll have more revenue and thus more money to spend. Abreu comes off the books after this year and A-Rod may opt out of his deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:57 pm 
Supersonic

The Yankees are really clearing up a lot of payroll the next two seasons. Giambi comes off the books the same offseason Teixeira will be a free agent. Fantastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:58 pm 
Unthought Known

Mitchell wrote:
The Yankees are really clearing up a lot of payroll the next two seasons. Giambi comes off the books the same offseason Teixeira will be a free agent. Fantastic!

if Texas is smart, they'll give in to the dark side and just trade him to NY for prospects...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:59 pm 
Supersonic

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Mitchell wrote:

if Texas is smart, they'll give in to the dark side and just trade him to NY for prospects...

Tabata, Sanchez, and Clippard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:01 pm 
Unthought Known

Mitchell wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Mitchell wrote:

Tabata, Sanchez, and Clippard.

Tabata is untouchable from what I've read. Although if a guy like Santana/Zambrano becomes available, I'm sure anyone is available.

Clippard/Sanchez and another lesser prospect might be fair.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1612 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports