Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 81  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:37 pm 
Supersonic

pearljamminagain wrote:
Zambrano is the best player the Cubs have. Letting him go (in any fashion) would be ridiculously stupid.

So if he wants $25 million a year for 8 years, and the Cubs won't pay him, does that constitute "letting him go?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:43 pm 
Unthought Known

Chris_H_2 wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:
Zambrano is the best player the Cubs have. Letting him go (in any fashion) would be ridiculously stupid.

So if he wants $25 million a year for 8 years, and the Cubs won't pay him, does that constitute "letting him go?"

Will he get it elsewhere? If so, then Chicago is definitely one of the few teams that can afford that pricetag.

I don't know. If it's at the sake of losing some other critical players, then I guess you may have to cut ties, but really, there aren't many better pitchers in baseball. While the Cubs payroll has gone up, it's always seemed to me that they could afford more. Of course, you know a hell of a lot more about that than me, but it just seems they should have been spending like the BoSox and Yankees long ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:53 pm 
Supersonic

pearljamminagain wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:

Will he get it elsewhere? If so, then Chicago is definitely one of the few teams that can afford that pricetag.

I don't know. If it's at the sake of losing some other critical players, then I guess you may have to cut ties, but really, there aren't many better pitchers in baseball. While the Cubs payroll has gone up, it's always seemed to me that they could afford more. Of course, you know a hell of a lot more about that than me, but it just seems they should have been spending like the BoSox and Yankees long ago.

My problem with Zambrano's scenario (and a reflection on free agency in general), is a player defining his own value based on what another team paid another player, even if that player was paid out of desperation.

For instance, if Team G is shut out in free agency and is desperate to make a splash and pays Pitcher Z $25 million for 8 years (even though the next highest contract for a pitcher to that point is 5 years at $18 million a year), does that automatically mean that Pitcher C's current team should pay that amount? Does Team G really set the bar?

The problem for the Cubs this year now is the ridiculous amount of money that they've already thrown out to free agents. They can't, on the one hand, find $27 million for the worst pitcher in the NL last year while, on the other hand, all of a sudden draw the line for arguably one of the best pitchers in the NL last year. They're being a little hypocritical if they do. In a sense, they created their own monster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:19 am 
Got Some

he referred to himself as "big Z." honestly, if his presence guaranteed a world series for my team, i wouldn't want him. fucking shooter mcgavin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:22 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

inglishteecher wrote:
he referred to himself as "big Z." honestly, if his presence guaranteed a world series for my team, i wouldn't want him. fucking shooter mcgavin.

thats pretty dumb

Post subject: Re: Chicago Cubs' Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:43 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

knuckles of frisco wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
But i think in the current situation for the cubs, it would be wise to trade him during the season.

please help me understand how you reached this conclusion.

Well, they have no minor league system. Trading Zambrano would be a good start in trying to rebuild that. And teams are more desperate and willing to let young talent go during the season, as opposed to before the season where every team thinks they can win the world series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:53 am 
Got Some

Too Big a Man Too Say wrote:
inglishteecher wrote:

thats pretty dumb

you mean that's pretty dumb. dumb is, apparently, relative.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:53 pm 
not a big Gay guy

pnjguy wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
But i think in the current situation for the cubs, it would be wise to trade him during the season.

Well, they have no minor league system. Trading Zambrano would be a good start in trying to rebuild that. And teams are more desperate and willing to let young talent go during the season, as opposed to before the season where every team thinks they can win the world series.

they play in one of the worst divisions in baseball in recent history, have two other young pitchers who appear to be quality major league starters, a solid bullpen, just signed the most coveted free agent on who isn't a pitcher, have a top five firstbaseman, just resigned a their thirdbaseman that a bunch of other teams wanted, added a new manager who wants to win now and will throw bases if the team doesn't, and you want them to focus on rebuilding their minor league system by trading their best pitcher?

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:17 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

pnjguy wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

they play in one of the worst divisions in baseball in recent history, have two other young pitchers who appear to be quality major league starters, a solid bullpen, just signed the most coveted free agent on who isn't a pitcher, have a top five firstbaseman, just resigned a their thirdbaseman that a bunch of other teams wanted, added a new manager who wants to win now and will throw bases if the team doesn't, and you want them to focus on rebuilding their minor league system by trading their best pitcher?

Don't get me wrong, they need to re-sign him. There was no point in spending 300 million this offseason to let your best pitcher go. Whats another 100 mill to them anyways. Im talking about if they don't want to re-sign him for that much, (and the way Hendry was speaking, he sounded like he didn't give a damn), they should wait until july.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:21 am 
King David The Wicked

This is the worst thread ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:46 am 
Got Some

and now they are putting advertisements on the outfield walls of wrigley field, and kerry wood hurts himself getting out of a hot tub.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:11 am 
Got Some

BDB wrote:
and now they are putting advertisements on the outfield walls .

i dont care now they are spending money.. they have to make it somehow.. i gave up on wrigley being "perfect" after they blocked some of the rooftops and went with the ads behind homeplate last year.. so bring on the underarmour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:01 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

NeilJam5 wrote:
BDB wrote:

i dont care now they are spending money.. they have to make it somehow.. i gave up on wrigley being "perfect" after they blocked some of the rooftops and went with the ads behind homeplate last year.. so bring on the underarmour

I showed that to Ronnie Woo today and boy was he pissed! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:11 am 
Got Some

homersheineken wrote:
NeilJam5 wrote:
BDB wrote:

is there some hatred towards ronnie in chicago by some people? i thought i heard something last year about this but cant remember.. ive only seen him in Mesa and at the convention.. always cool to see him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:54 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

NeilJam5 wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
NeilJam5 wrote:
BDB wrote:

is there some hatred towards ronnie in chicago by some people? i thought i heard something last year about this but cant remember.. ive only seen him in Mesa and at the convention.. always cool to see him

Not that I know of. I think he's kind of a local celebrity. I walked a couple of blocks with him yesterday and 2 different cars stops, honked their horns and yelled "Wooooo" at him. We spent 20 or so talking about the Cubs on the L, before he got off at State to go to Harry's. He signed a schedule he gave to me. I think he's one righteous dude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:46 pm 
Supersonic

homersheineken wrote:
NeilJam5 wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
NeilJam5 wrote:
BDB wrote:

Not that I know of. I think he's kind of a local celebrity. I walked a couple of blocks with him yesterday and 2 different cars stops, honked their horns and yelled "Wooooo" at him. We spent 20 or so talking about the Cubs on the L, before he got off at State to go to Harry's. He signed a schedule he gave to me. I think he's one righteous dude.

The general feeling is that, at first, he was cute and different (jacked up teeth and all). Now the feeling is that he's just annoying as hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:59 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Chris_H_2 wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
NeilJam5 wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
NeilJam5 wrote:
BDB wrote:

The general feeling is that, at first, he was cute and different (jacked up teeth and all). Now the feeling is that he's just annoying as hell.

Yeah, I just don't see it. He hasn't changed, just people's tolerance of seeing him all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:06 pm 
Supersonic

homersheineken wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
NeilJam5 wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
NeilJam5 wrote:
BDB wrote:

Yeah, I just don't see it. He hasn't changed, just people's tolerance of seeing him all the time.

That's my point. It was fun at first. Now it's really, really annoying listening to him. The worst is when you're at a game and he yells over your shoulder for 10 minutes straight -- you can't even hold a conversation with the person next to you. He stood behind me at the Cubs Convention this year during player introductions and I wanted to punch him in the face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:22 pm 
not a big Gay guy

i went to the cubs convention. once.

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:26 pm 
Got Some

Chris_H_2 wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
NeilJam5 wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
NeilJam5 wrote:
BDB wrote:

That's my point. It was fun at first. Now it's really, really annoying listening to him. The worst is when you're at a game and he yells over your shoulder for 10 minutes straight -- you can't even hold a conversation with the person next to you. He stood behind me at the Cubs Convention this year during player introductions and I wanted to punch him in the face.

haha i can imagine.. i know nothing about his history.. does he have a job, a lot of money etc?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports