Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Seattle Mariners Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
if you believe in run differential, the M's are lucky to be where they are and will probably end up somewhere around a .500 team.

Na, i don't believe in that shit. I'd rather have a team that can wins a lot of close ones than one who wins games 17-1 and then loses 5-4 the next day. The Yankees are stacked but i have still have faith in the M's. They have a gritty team and i see no reason why they wouldn't keep playing that way

I don't consider it a rock solid stat either...but it is worth mentioning that they're the only team in MLB to post a winning record with a negative run differential. Historically, teams don't finish 10 games over when they're outscored on the season...so unless they improve their level of play, they may come back to the pack.

It's a lot easier to dismiss stats after the Colts season last year. Worst run defense in the league, wins Super Bowl anyway. BTW, i don't think Seattle would get past the 1st round if they made it but i bet their series would be pretty exciting

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:40 pm 
Unthought Known

Clubber wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
if you believe in run differential, the M's are lucky to be where they are and will probably end up somewhere around a .500 team.

Na, i don't believe in that shit. I'd rather have a team that can wins a lot of close ones than one who wins games 17-1 and then loses 5-4 the next day. The Yankees are stacked but i have still have faith in the M's. They have a gritty team and i see no reason why they wouldn't keep playing that way

I don't consider it a rock solid stat either...but it is worth mentioning that they're the only team in MLB to post a winning record with a negative run differential. Historically, teams don't finish 10 games over when they're outscored on the season...so unless they improve their level of play, they may come back to the pack.

It's a lot easier to dismiss stats after the Colts season last year. Worst run defense in the league, wins Super Bowl anyway. BTW, i don't think Seattle would get past the 1st round if they made it but i bet their series would be pretty exciting

did the Mariners add the equivalent of Bob Sanders to their team?

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:10 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

did the Mariners add the equivalent of Bob Sanders to their team?

They brought up some guy from the minors to push for Raul Ibanez(the most obvious steroid user from last year besides Bonds). It's some guy named Jones as far as i know and he's supposed to be the real deal. Plus JJ Putz is the most underrated pitcher in baseball.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:13 pm 
Unthought Known

Clubber wrote:
They brought up some guy from the minors to push for Raul Ibanez(the most obvious steroid user from last year besides Bonds). It's some guy named Jones as far as i know and he's supposed to be the real deal. Plus JJ Putz is the most underrated pitcher in baseball.

well we'll see if he has the same impact. As for Putz, he's only underrated to those who don't closely follow the sport. He's probably been the best closer in MLB this year.

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:16 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Clubber wrote:

well we'll see if he has the same impact. As for Putz, he's only underrated to those who don't closely follow the sport. He's probably been the best closer in MLB this year.

The writers closely follow the sport and no way does he win Cy Young even though he should. Pappelbon gets way more credit and hasn't been in half as many one run appearnces as Putz has been in. Or at least it seems that way to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:20 am 
Resident Frat Dick

Adam Jones is supposedly going to be a star. Let's hope he does it in an M's jersey.

As for Putz... I wouldn't call him underrated. He gets plenty of press. Of course he could always get more, but I don't think he fits in the underrated category.

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:00 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

I was worried about the Orioles series, but glad to see they pulled all 3 games out. Jones looks good so far.

Posters
DVDS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:42 pm 
Resident Frat Dick

gotta extend this wildcard lead over the white sox to 16 games...it starts tonight

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:31 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

big win last night. a sweep would be huge. gotta love the grittiness of the M's

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:18 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

They will have a tough time catching the Angels because of how many home games the Angels have left, and the Yankees offense needs to slow down.

Posters
DVDS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:16 pm 
Resident Frat Dick

I'm torn over this current Angels/Yankees series. Who do I root for/against???

The Angels have owned us this year, so I'd hate to run into them in the playoffs. Obviously it would be nice for the Yanks to take them out and we eventually win the West...but that's not the ultimate goal.

On the other hand, it's the Yankees. I don't care what their issues might be...if they make the playoffs, you have to fear them. So let's say they eventually get the Wild Card and we win the West...is that better than winning the Wild Card ourselves and the Angels taking the West?

Either team would be a tough playoff matchup.

And for the record...AL West pennant be damned. I just want to get in, and take it from there. I want to go to the World Series!! And I'm in favor of getting the best playoff matchup we can get.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:52 am 
Resident Frat Dick

But then again, if we win the West the Angels will probably get the Wild Card. Decisions, decisions.

OK, I've revised my stance. M's take the West, and key players on both the Yanks & Angels get hurt near the end of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:16 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

M's are in a tough stretch of games right now. I think I read 41 games in 42 days. Hopefully the pitching holds out.

Posters
DVDS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:32 pm 
Supersonic

maybe i'm just spoiled from being a mets fan, but this team, to me, is really unexciting to watch..... i may have moved here but my loyalties will always be with my queens boys 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:37 am 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Theresa wrote:
maybe i'm just spoiled from being a mets fan, but this team, to me, is really unexciting to watch..... i may have moved here but my loyalties will always be with my queens boys 8)

I gotta disagree here. I think they're one of the more exciting teams in the league cause they are filled with young players that nobody knows. Plus nobody respects them which makes them more easy to root for. Yanks fans here have NO respect for this team which is funny cause i think Seattle has the better overall team. I can't believe i might be into baseball during football season. Seattle is the best story of this season, just glad to be a fan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:44 am 
Supersonic

Clubber wrote:
Theresa wrote:

I gotta disagree here. I think they're one of the more exciting teams in the league cause they are filled with young players that nobody knows. Plus nobody respects them which makes them more easy to root for. Yanks fans here have NO respect for this team which is funny cause i think Seattle has the better overall team. I can't believe i might be into baseball during football season. Seattle is the best story of this season, just glad to be a fan.
i wanna hear you say that after you sit through a game at safeco my friend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:00 am 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Theresa wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Theresa wrote:

I would love to go to Safeco. Hear it's one of the best stadiums in baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:49 am 
Supersonic

Clubber wrote:
Theresa wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Theresa wrote:

so you and the little lady come on down then. you guys can stay with me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:22 am 
Poney Girl

Clubber wrote:

I love Safeco Field, it's my favorite of the ballparks I've been too.

My list is:

Safeco Field - M's
Coors Field - Rockies
Candlestick (I want to see AT&T Park, is that what is call now) - Giants
Oakland Coliseum - A's
Dodgers Stadium - Dodgers
BankOnePark - Arizona D'Backs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:58 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

Theresa wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Theresa wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Theresa wrote:

so you and the little lady come on down then. you guys can stay with me.

The lady is actually heading down there mid september. I however, don't go anywhere during football season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports