Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:55 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Yield05 wrote:
i think the indians will make some noise at the top of the division this yr.

...the tribe always manages to fuck up somehow. i remember a year...circa 99 when they had the best record in baseballl...and it didnt matter. they didnt do shit int he playoffs. (i think that was aroudnt he time that the "team thome" crap started coming out. ya know, "it don't mean a thing till we get a ring"?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:17 am 
Johnny Guitar

Stelly wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Bo Jackson wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Bo Jackson wrote:
The Royals will sweep the Soxs in their home opener.

Then proceed to lose 100 games.

Probably

I don't know . . . I mean, we're talking Gil frickin' Meche at the top of the staff. There's no way they lose 100 with him . . .

You're right!

They'll lost 110!

I guarantee the Royals will not lose 100 games this year. Wouldn't surprise me if they finished in front of the Indians. They lost 100 games exactly last year. They have improved with the starting staff ( say what you will about Meche), They have improved the bullpen. Plus the great young talent is starting to arrive. These things should be good for 7-10 wins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me if they finished in front of the Indians.

I'd give up sports forever if that happened (meaning it won't).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:59 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Joesanity wrote:
Quote:

Tim Kurcian (sp) is an idiot. First he says the White Sox will play better this season, but then says the Tigers will win the division, while the Yankees will win the east, and the Red Sox will win the wild card.

Who honestly believes that a 92-93 win team does not even get a wild card. I know its a mathamatical possibility but seriously, who is the last 93 win team not make the playoffs since the wild card was invented?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:08 pm 
Unthought Known

pnjguy wrote:
Joesanity wrote:
Quote:

Tim Kurcian (sp) is an idiot. First he says the White Sox will play better this season, but then says the Tigers will win the division, while the Yankees will win the east, and the Red Sox will win the wild card.

Who honestly believes that a 92-93 win team does not even get a wild card. I know its a mathamatical possibility but seriously, who is the last 93 win team not make the playoffs since the wild card was invented?

you'd have to go pretty far back. Not sure if you're old enough to remember, but way back in 2005 the Indians missed out with 93 wins. The Mariners missed out in 2003 AND 2002 with 93 wins. Wow...this is pretty rare!

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:16 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

thanks for that, brain freeze on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:45 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Joesanity wrote:
Quote:

I'm not so sure about that. Look this is the best division in baseball. I think we can all agree on that. last year the Indians were 78-84. Fill me in, have the Indinas done much in the off season?

I love Paul Byrd by the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:19 am 
Mike's Maniac

iwasthere wrote:
Joesanity wrote:
Quote:

I'm not so sure about that. Look this is the best division in baseball. I think we can all agree on that. last year the Indians were 78-84. Fill me in, have the Indinas done much in the off season?

they picked up trot nixon...but the indians have had a history of picking up big name players past their prime before (not saying trot is past his prime...but i'm sure he won't be the key factor to take them to the next level and lead them to a WS title either)

plus, he has been injury prone later in his career...so who knows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:21 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

iwasthere wrote:
Joesanity wrote:
Quote:

While the pen is still sketchy, it can't be worse than last years. The bullpen is the sole reason for that terrible record. They hit, and their starters pitched like an 85-90 win team.

And the Royals are still terrible and won't come close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:04 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Joesanity wrote:
iwasthere wrote:
Joesanity wrote:
Quote:

While the pen is still sketchy, it can't be worse than last years. The bullpen is the sole reason for that terrible record. They hit, and their starters pitched like an 85-90 win team.

If I remember the Indians infield defense wasn't doing them any favors either. So it just wasn't the pen. They had the worst bullpen in the league, and they added guys like Robrto Hernandez (former Royal castoff). I really don't see much of a improvement.

I know what the Royals are. I accept that. They are better though. I will promise you that. I think they can play close to .500 baseball. If that happens, then they will be a competive factor in how things shake out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:10 pm 
Mike's Maniac

iwasthere wrote:
Joesanity wrote:
iwasthere wrote:
Joesanity wrote:
Quote:

If I remember the Indians infield defense wasn't doing them any favors either. So it just wasn't the pen. They had the worst bullpen in the league, and they added guys like Robrto Hernandez (former Royal castoff). I really don't see much of a improvement.

I know what the Royals are. I accept that. They are better though. I will promise you that. I think they can play close to .500 baseball. If that happens, then they will be a competive factor in how things shake out.

ronnie belliard was one of their (indians) better infielders, and he's gone now...and they'll never have a SS like omar vizquel again. they shouldn't have let him go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:15 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Belliard was terrible. His range was so bad that he had to set up on the outfield grass.

The infield defense will be MUCH better. Barfield and Marte are vast improvements over Boone and Belliard and now that Peralta can actually see the ball, he'll improve and Marte and Barfield will help take the pressure off.

I'd take Roberto Hernandez and Joe Borowski over stiffs like Jason Davis and Brian Sikorski. That's how bad it was last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:49 pm 
Supersonic

Looks like the Sheffield deal got even better for Detroit:

From MLB.com:

"Humberto Sanchez pitched with the Yankees' starting staff in the first round of workouts on Thursday, but has been pushed back a day after experiencing mild right forearm tightness.

He now is scheduled for an MRI on Tuesday."

Humberto Sanchez was the main player that Detroit traded in exchange for Sheffield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:55 pm 
Got Some

where the fuck are phat j, maniacal clown, denverapolis? no one else will type about the twins. the entire everyday lineup is returning. one of the top bullpens in the league is still intact. the best pitcher in baseball leads the only questionmark on the team. oddly enough, i feel good about the rotation. i don't think they'll match last year's heights, but they'll be competitive anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

inglishteecher wrote:
where the fuck are phat j, maniacal clown, denverapolis? no one else will type about the twins. the entire everyday lineup is returning. one of the top bullpens in the league is still intact. the best pitcher in baseball leads the only questionmark on the team. oddly enough, i feel good about the rotation. i don't think they'll match last year's heights, but they'll be competitive anyway.

For sure they will be competitive, and so will the other three teams. Having Santana will only help the younger more inexperienced starters, however, on paper, the other three teams are better imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:24 pm 
Got Some

inglishteecher wrote:

Missing Liriano will hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:55 pm 
Reissued

Stelly wrote:
inglishteecher wrote:

Missing Liriano will hurt.

he was an added bonus last year, no doubt, but they still managed to pull together at the end of the year with the bats. morneau took a couple months to pull his head out, and MVP worthy or not, he had a great year. can only be better this year.

i gotta believe one of those young kids will come out of nowhere this year to contribute to the starting rotation.

i apologize for my tardiness.

Soma. wrote:
In summary, you can't go wrong with Muse live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:54 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Twins are going to win the central. First 1/2 of the season may be subpar but they are a second 1/2 team and Santana is going to win his third (should be 4th) Cy Young. Plus, Mauer, Morneau, etc., etc.

I can't wait for '08 when Liriano is back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:53 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

jam fan wrote:
Twins are going to win the central. First 1/2 of the season may be subpar but they are a second 1/2 team and Santana is going to win his third (should be 4th) Cy Young. Plus, Mauer, Morneau, etc., etc.

I cant wait to see carlos silva, boof bonser, and ramon ortiz pitch. THAT should be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:13 pm 
Banned from the Pit

jam fan wrote:

Same here, I can't wait for the Tigers to knock him off the mound again :twisted:

Besides how will the Twins win this year? Santana and 4 scrubs/rookies? No.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports